[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silent Hill PS1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: 52771-Silent_Hill_(E)-1.jpg (48KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
52771-Silent_Hill_(E)-1.jpg
48KB, 640x640px
Yo, you guys remember that Silent Hill game on ps1 right? Remember how fucking scary it was considered at the time.
Full on I was the dumbest sperg of a kid and thought to myself "I should give this to my cousin cause he loves scary stuff for christmas" I was like 6 at the time and saw very little of the game right. So I give it to him and he's like excited to play it and happy but his mum tells him not to play til the next day. So I come across him at his home some days later and he's like shaking and talking about how scary it was. He tells me years later at a Christmas that I was a pretty fucked six year old.
Anyone have any other reactions they thought of the game at the time?
I look at it now as pretty interesting to research into.
>>
are you rod or todd flanders?
>>
>>3716603
I really wish I could find copy of the US launch commercial that made a big deal out of all the disclaimers like "absolutely not for children or the psychologically unstable"
>>
>>3716603
I am 27 and still cannot play this or dino crisis because I would shit my pants.
>>
>>3716603
>>3716993
Dino Crisis is easy for me but Silent Hill just stresses me out so much.
>>
>>3716603

Only think scary about SH2 was Pyramid and some of the scenery/rooms.

But SH1... my friend...

Everything was FOOKING dangerous. The dogs were like RE dogs. The flying shit was hard to dodge.

And every time you had gray children it was a question of "oh not this again, I just want to get out" then you get bit on the ankle by an oversized cockroach (and it actually does damage).

Boss #1 was also pretty damn hard for an introductory boss, steep learning curve with that.

> the Piano puzzle in the school was a little bit too hard though, I dont have it memorized and I still have to check the walkthrough.
>>
>>3716939
>"absolutely not for children or the psychologically unstable"
That sounds hilarious.
>>
File: i wonder.gif (1MB, 172x310px) Image search: [Google]
i wonder.gif
1MB, 172x310px
never played S.H. before. i have ps2, which one is the best, or generally accepted to be the best?

plz respond
>>
>>3718528
most people will tell you 2 is the best but I found it to be rather tame compared to 1 and 3
I remember being kinda disappointed when I first played it as a kid
>>
>>3718528
>>
This game is still too creepy for me to play (even with someone else in the room).

I get nervous and shit and can't stand the thought of getting attacked and being alone also.

I'm 35.
>>
Having trouble believing there are any adults in this thread.

I played Silent Hill alone at night in the dark when I was in High School and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Holy shit, exploring Midwich Elementary at 2am, enter the classroom where the phone rings. Jesus Christ, it was fucking amazing. And there were so many moments like that. It makes everything else to this day feel cartoonish by comparison.

I'm not a horror movie guy either. I hate most of them, and the ones I have seen I usually consider just gay. But Silent Hill is something else. The only movie that really comes close is Jacob's Ladder. That one was great, and I wouldn't be surprised if the producers of Silent Hill drew more than a little inspiration from that particular movie..
>>
>>3718528
Start playing the first one.
>>
>>3718638
>>3718528

Go with the first one. The graphics arent all that great but with a PS2 itll handle it as elegantly as a butterfly.

SH1 is like running from the cops in GTA Vice City.

> mfw also, the Little Birds and the Little Kid Zombies from game of thrones must have been inspired by the gray children because of their swarm tactics.

Fighting is a bad idea unless you only have a couple critters to deal with, because of the tank controls and some monsters (ahem, bugs) being at different elevations or coming from different directions. Character doesnt know which one to aim at so you can get ganked without being able to properly delegate attacks.

> spoiler - nurse zombies dont react much when you turn the light off, then you can run past em or get closer with the hammer, and turn the light back on.

> mfw this would have been even MORE scary in a Dark Souls way if the dilapitated conditions in a number of places in the game actually allowed you to Fall Through them or at least leave you hanging on for your life to button-mash climbing back up.

SH3 ive seen a playthrough of (never got to play it myself). But from the looks of it there's alot of dangerous shit around and you Cant Fight Back...

Because if you do you're NOT going to have enough ammo to kill the Final Boss . So the game makes it an easy choice that you must Run rather than Fight (in the playthrough they didnt use much ammo, only on boss fights, and after reaching the final boss not only did they go through all of the SMG ammo, Shotgun, and Pistol, they then had to whack at the boss with the knife for a disturbing period of time) .

>>3718664
> adults
> these games were released 20 years ago
> probably had to be a teen to care about wanting to play it

I got fucked out of gaming experiences because my dad didnt consider Consoles worthy compared to PCs. So we never got a console in my teen years.

Everything 1995-2003 was MISSED.
>>
File: laughing smith.gif (3MB, 256x196px) Image search: [Google]
laughing smith.gif
3MB, 256x196px
>>3716603
>>3716993
>>3717775
>>3718664

One thing I dont think is mentioned much is Akira Yamaoka's work on the music in the game.

Certainly alot of people will say the Music is absolutely goat.

But I bet you did not know that the Entire Music Track was composed using Midi-style instrument notes.

Yet it sounds like normal quality music.

The reason is because they have hundreds of Audio snippets and each one is keyed to play like as if it was an instrument. Which makes alot of sense.

The first game IIRC that did anything like this afterwards was Halo: Combat Evolved because the music wasnt a fixed track in that game (it would sometimes play surprise notes).

But ALL of the music in SH 1 was snippets of music that were each about 1-3 seconds long.

By consolidating the music down into parts that would repeat at keyed intervals just like sheet music the total disk space expenditure was about 30Mb.

Compared to actually having well over a full CD's worth of music based on the OSTs.

> a brilliant idea
> and creepy in and of itself for its originality
> it isnt being done much even to this day

Thats why the music in the game does not match the official OST even though it sounds roughly the same. (for example Clawfinger, the music that plays in the Church with Dahlia - it has an echoing quality because its the same notes being played over and over again - while the OST version is a smoothly orchestrated piece)

> I know this because I snagged a game rip someone did of all the audio in the game. I wanted sound effects, but also got an ass ton of these music clips too
>>
>>3718417
I think it was the long version of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZA59AEis-E
>>
>>3718664

Jacob's Ladder is a mindbending nightmare.

that girl who gets fucked by demons
>>
>>3719696
I take a wild guess and say that some samples are ripped from the first two Portishead albums.
The OST was a bit disappointing for me because it did not contain all music like the UFO ending.
>>
>>3719801
there's a portishead poster in the cafe so you might be onto something
>>
>>3716603
I remember being amazed at how it was a real world looking fully 3D game. I had seen lots of 3D games, but most of them had used non textured polygons or very lightly texture cartoony style.
The really did some amazing work using the creepy fog during the day and the darkness at night to give a reason for the draw distance. As a kid I never even considered the draw distance being low, it was all part of the style.

It has some impressive lighting effects for a PS1 game. I don't recall many others having a working flash light.

I had to have my older cousin help me solve the puzzles. There were some that were really difficult like the Zodiac signs (I had no idea what those were at the time).
>>
>>3718664
>Having trouble believing there are any adults in this thread.
I'm 29. I was like 10 or 11 when I first played the game. Being an elementary schooler and getting to the school in the game = double NOPE doze.

I'd already played stuff like Resident Evil and Doom before, but SH1 blew 'em out of the water.

And yes, Jacob's Ladder IS one of the Team-Silent's biggest, well known sources of inspiration. They did not however limit their research and sources to just one or two media products though.
>>
>>3716939
There's a warning message similar to that upon booting up the game, isn't there?
>>
>>3717813
>Boss #1 was also pretty damn hard for an introductory boss

In it's defence, it pops up a fair bit into the game.

Also I remember playing SH1 with my grandmother and we got stuck on the piano puzzle and don't think made any further progress. Years later I came back and completed the game myself but that piano puzzle was still annoying to try and figure out.
>>
>>3718528
Most people would suggest 2 or 3. SH3 is pretty much a direct sequel to SH1 whereas SH2 is more a stand-alone entry so I would suggest SH2 if you don't plan on playing them all.
>>
>>3718664
Jacob's Ladder was a huge inspiration - I think the clocktower in the school is a direct pull from it.
>>
>>3718528
First one, obviously.
Not to mention it'd be totally silly to NOT play a story & lore-focused series in release order.

Let's repost the SH PC Guide + DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

You can now see fine emulator settings for SH1 in the guide. You can also give the new PGXP emu a shot for wobble-free PS1 graphix.
>>
>>3719682
I really liked SH3 but I thought it was a bit stupid that first I get happy to find a box of bullets(10) as some resources to fight back and then I need about eight to kill off one of the first enemies. Not really a point in using any of it.
>>
>>3719760
I like how commercials back then had so little to do with the game and you would never actually now what the games are about and why you should play it.
>>
>>3721003
Fighting enemies in SH games is not really recommended in general. It's often way better, if not even easier, to just run or sneak away from the foes.
>>
>>3721019
Actually, due to how the supplies system work in SH3, you're better off fighting some enemies, while avoiding some.

When you hold onto a lot of supplies, the game will give you less supplies. It's better, safer, to stay around a middle point where you don't have too much supplies because then the game will give you more, so it's better, safer, to kill enemies that are in rooms/corridors that you'll visit several times.

It's a stupid as fuck supply system that's also anti-survival horror.

>>3720982
SH3 on PC is god tier. I don't even know why anyone should have gotten excited when they announced 'HD' re-releases since we've had those HD versions on PC all along.
>>
>>3721019
I found it okay in the other games, while being a bit too easy to kill most of the enemies in indoor locations in SH2, which was okay for me since it was the first SH I played. But SH3 is even worse/harder in the action aspect than SH1.
>>
>>3721062

I tried getting SH3 to work on PC several times and it just never would. The menu appearance was all screwed up and the graphics just died after that.

No GPU but I have 3dAnalyze, I dont know what options to use for it to get it to work. I dont have the PC ver anymore though so I cant just try out configs.

(also 1024x600 means 3dAnalyze stretches off the screen, I dont know what options im missing on it).

> and since ive seen the playthrough I can just watch the game being played now

> the borley haunted house near the end 100% deters me from playing also, not that its especially hard looking but its a cringeworthy out of place thing.
>>
>>3721019

In SH1 its also alot better to Melee foes but that only becomes practical when you get the Hammer.

I do like that there's no inventory limit to items, but I felt it was kinda unrealistic.

I think inventory management and having to drop items would have put the game over the top and should have been implemented.

Not RE tier inventory management, but maybe more like RE4 or Diablo2 inventory.

> and make it to where the Flauros cant be dropped and permanently takes up one slot somewhere, but it could be like a Zelda Implement item that just sits off to the side.

> Because the game sometimes transitions in a way that you cant go back to get items, or maybe it will be a long time before you get the chance again - - it would have been a great opportunity to punish the player for dropping items or at least remind them that SHTF and Nothing is reliable.
>>
I actually got Silent Hill 2 to run in 3D once on a CRT monitor. It looked really amazing, it was like the screen was a window and fog inside was real.

Had to adjust it for some areas though.
>>
File: 1470164517471.jpg (85KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
1470164517471.jpg
85KB, 600x686px
>>3716993
I'm pretty bad with scary stuff but I buckled down this past october and played thru the game, I really enjoyed it and I was pretty impressed at the great job they do playing with your stress
>>
File: 1455504810471.png (328KB, 368x530px) Image search: [Google]
1455504810471.png
328KB, 368x530px
>ps1
>retro
>>
>>3721487
>No GPU but I have 3dAnalyze
>it would never work
gee... I wonder why?
What kind of piece of shit relic is that shit anyway? Even my oldass first Windows XP PC from 2003 ran it just fine. Every single craptop made in the past 10 years would also have no problems running it smooth.
>>
>>3722317
Yes, fellow oldfag. 5th gen indeed is retro now.
The consoles have not been made in over a decade. New games have not come out in over a decade. The tech the consoles used, and on which they were meant to be used on, are obsolete and mostly not produced anymore either.

As scary as it may sound to you, even 6th gen is bordering retro now.
>>
File: Dark Souls Marriage.jpg (236KB, 850x444px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls Marriage.jpg
236KB, 850x444px
>>3722282
The first "horror" game I successfully manned up and beat was The Immortal on Genesis when I was like 13 or so but it felt like an ordeal and I don't know if I ever replayed it beyond demonstrating what a badass I was to friends who came over. The PS1 survival horror games were the first time I felt a real sense of fully conquering my fear and making it my bitch. The way those games gradually reward you with each increasingly fast playthrough is just fucking boneriffic and I have to wonder how many modern gamers who play them as "retro" games really experience the full experience of going all the way from being nearly terrified half the time to blowing through the game in 15 minutes with an unlimited superweapon like it's your bitch To being so comfortable you complete the Tofu scenario in RE2 - a level I never made it to
>>
>>3723430

Intel Atom N450 (1600mhz single core)
Intel GMA 3150 (shares 128mb of ram)
- openGL 1.4
2gb ram (used to be 1gb)

Windows 7

if its any consolation it will run F.E.A.R. just fine but not smooth, and it will even run Doom 3 at about 1fps (but it will run it)
>>
File: Postal_f6e632_6008648.jpg (54KB, 367x572px) Image search: [Google]
Postal_f6e632_6008648.jpg
54KB, 367x572px
>>3719843
that one pissed me off so much, it had me looking up which birth dates corresponded with each zodiac, the solution actually upset me
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.