[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hand-drawn maps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

Does anyone else remember making hand-drawn maps of games to keep track of the level layout? Pic related, though unfortunately not one of mine; I don't even know where mine are now.
>>
I did a bunch of shit like this as a kid. They're long gone though, if only I had the foresight to scan them.
>>
File: 3104424-ninpow5.jpg (275KB, 635x857px) Image search: [Google]
3104424-ninpow5.jpg
275KB, 635x857px
I didn't need to draw maps because I had the Power. NINTENDO POWER! :^]
>>
i had a bunch of phantasy star dungeon maps on this fancy square paper which i dont recall the name in english right now

of course they're all long gone but it was fun making them
>>
>>3711013
Graph paper. I had to do the same thing in PS 1 and 2
>>
Old school rpgs are pretty much impossible without these.
>>
I've only ever done this for one game, and that's Super Metroid. Never really needed a map for RPGs.
>>
Only for grid based dungeon crawlers.

>>3711021
I tried to map PS2 but without metric to go by and the necessity for the floors to line up perfectly it was futile.
Eventually resorted to a guide for the final dungeons.
>>
>>3710959
Young merlin mine cart sections were mapped out bitd
>>
>>3710959
Why would you do the overworld? The game came with a shiny glossy map....

On that note, and with that game, my old man made maps for all the dungeons. All secrets bomb holes items etc.
>>
File: IMG_20160912_104416542_HDR.jpg (4MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160912_104416542_HDR.jpg
4MB, 3006x5344px
One of mine from Phantasy Star II. I played through I and II for the first time this year, playing blind and writing down notes, drawing maps, and even making a glossary of spell costs and effects. Real good experience, overall.
>>
File: sm_dev_map.jpg (195KB, 900x749px) Image search: [Google]
sm_dev_map.jpg
195KB, 900x749px
This is a dev map from Super Metroid. I like it a lot, although I wish the scan was bigger.

Can you find the one room that differs from the final game? Interesting tidbit: that room remains in the ROM, however it has no room header associated with it, unlike every other room, both used and unused alike. I don't think anyone else knows about it because you can't access it unless you edit a legit room header substantially.
>>
>>3712125
> The game came with a shiny glossy map....
Only in America.
>>
>>3711060
:/
>>
File: MapSmall.png (964KB, 877x616px) Image search: [Google]
MapSmall.png
964KB, 877x616px
>>3710959
This is an incredible well drawn map from Shadowfire.
It came along with the used copy I bought.
>>
>>3712492
>weapons
>more weapons here

ffs chris evans dont get lazy when you're describing the items
>>
File: k1022.gif (15KB, 350x143px) Image search: [Google]
k1022.gif
15KB, 350x143px
>>3710959
I probably did one of the dark caves in The Legend of Kyrandia, but no idea where it is now
>>
>>3712141
It looks so tidy, very nice. I didnt draw a map for this but I feel its worth mentioning. The cavern for the "trueeye" magi in Final Fantasy/SaGa 2 where everything is too bright to see, I would often do blind.

From what I remember I think you could somewhat tell if you hit a wall, so I would just try to visualize the sections I had seen in previous playthroughs which the chests would confirm.

I know I attempted to draw maps for something but I really can't remember which.

>>3712492
Nowadays I'd consider whats on the right somewhat of a spoiler. But back then It'd be more of a necessary hint. Gameplay was also a bigger deal than story back then.
>>
>>3712653
It still is, dude.
>>
>>3712125
>Why would you do the overworld?
I don't know, man. Like I said:
>Pic related, though unfortunately not one of mine; I don't even know where mine are now.
>>
I had a whole folder for game maps, mostly ripped out of nintendo power, though. It's either somewhere in a box in my parent's basement, or the water got it.. :(
>>
I made one for the metroid for nes, but i don't have it, anyway it doesn't help me so much.
>>
>tfw you will never learn 1400's style cartography and draw classical maps of video games
>you'd probably get sued for copyright infringement anyways
>>
File: 1371720353515.png (3MB, 1655x3842px) Image search: [Google]
1371720353515.png
3MB, 1655x3842px
>>3713221
It's not very hard to get started on cartography. Come to /tg/ and look for a worldbuilding thread, we have lots of people who make maps with many different programs and methods (ie hand drawn).

I, for one, would love to see some 1400s interpretations of /vr/ maps.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.