[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SEGA CD 32X Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 14

File: 2016-12-29-142211.jpg (52KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-29-142211.jpg
52KB, 480x480px
So what are the best games for 32X and Sega CD? I just got a working Sega CD a few days ago for an amazing price that I couldn't resist. But now all I need is games. So what are some good 32X/CD games?
>>
There's a total of six and they're all shitty FMV titles.
>>
File: nighttrap32x.jpg (116KB, 418x600px) Image search: [Google]
nighttrap32x.jpg
116KB, 418x600px
>>3706314
>maybe I'll be more specific
I mean games for both add-ons 32x games and CD games, not the CD32x games.
>>
File: Earthworm J.jpg (579KB, 1400x2370px) Image search: [Google]
Earthworm J.jpg
579KB, 1400x2370px
I'm a big fan of the Spider-Man Sega CD game. Also, it has the best version of Earthworm Jim.
>>
Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racer kick ass on the 32X. Not to mention definitive versions of NBA Jam and some other beefed up Genesis games. It's actutally a pretty cool add-on. As far as SEGA CD goes, SNATCHER and Sonic CD are pretty much it.
>>
>>3706332
>Snatcher
Maybe if I had $500 to blow ... :/
>I don't
>>
>>3706338
SEGA CD games are ISO 9660 with no copy protection, burn away man.
>>
File: 1466265190888.jpg (47KB, 538x378px) Image search: [Google]
1466265190888.jpg
47KB, 538x378px
>>3706341
>>
I wish I didn't ignore the 32X so much back when all the stuff was dirt cheap. Now I want Kolibri and Blackthorne, but they are very costly. Afterburner Complete and Space Harrier still could be reasonable.
>>
>>3706357
why is sega stuff in general so expensive nowadays?
I thought it was only nintendo that had the ridiculous retro hipster tax.
>>
>>3706357
How is Knuckles Chaotix?
>>
>>3706341

>No copy protection

Snatcher has a weird form of region lock where it won't display any text if it's the wrong region though. My Mega Drive is modded to NTSC and even it can't get past it so make sure you get the right one.
>>
>>3706357

The 32x version of Wrestlemania Arcade is surprisingly shit. Colours are slightly improved but they made no effort with the sound, has the fart music problem 32x Doom has and just seems really quiet in general.
>>
File: Peace_will_not_be_found.jpg (862KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Peace_will_not_be_found.jpg
862KB, 2592x1944px
On the CD side, I absolutely love Keio Yuugekitai. I am missing the manual to Rise of the Dragon which I think is a good alternative to Snatcher. Final Fight CD is great, but I really love it with Pyron's color hack: https://youtu.be/hw4G_ofpEQc ... and you can not go wrong with the Lunar games, especially Eternal Blue. Shining Force CD is very good. There's just a lot to love on the SegaCD.
>>
The Lunar games are decent for Sega CD if you're into simple jrpg animu games.
>>
>>3706367

Fantastic presentation, everything looks and sounds great, the level design is a bit strange though. Lots of wide open space, few enemies, pretty simple puzzles - seems more like a Kirby game than a Sonic game at times. Still pleasant to play.
>>
>>3706361
Scarcity. Plus they can just be fine games. Then again, here in the US, those Atari 2600 games are still cheap, so all I can guess is forces of supply and demand.

>>3706367
Despite all the hate it seems to get from the internet, I actually liked it as a gun experiment. Love the bonus stages. The colors are wonderfully vibrant and the music is nice. I can see how everyone keeps mentioning how the stages are empty with no enemy resistance nor instant kills, but it was a fun experience just moving around. However, I should warn you my standards for liking a game is low, I am easily amused when I push a button and shit happens.

>>3706374
I also have it for the Saturn, but it is nice with the immediacy where there is no load times. I mean these days I just play the game on MAME if I wanted to, but for $5, I thought it was worth it.
>>
File: soulstar.jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
soulstar.jpg
13KB, 259x194px
>>3706307

Soul Star. It's like Star Fox but with mode 7 and scaled sprites instead of polygons. Complex mission goals you need to pay attention to the details of in briefing to succeed, and a bitchin soundtrack.
>>
>>3706367

Fun if you accept it's not a Sonic game and learn to exploit the weird rubber band game mechanic rather than fighting it.

A lot of people go in expecting prettier sonic, are like "What the fuck is this shit" when they get tethered to Espio, and ragequit after trying and failing for 5 min to figure it out
>>
>>3706396
It makes sense. S3+K had way more exploration of levels than 1 or 2 had. Chaotix just went nuts with it and totally forget about speed.

It's a great platformer nonetheless, with decent replay value.
>>
File: panic.png (17KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
panic.png
17KB, 320x224px
Panic! is good for a laugh. There's no other point to it than humor. Enter some new scene, push random buttons, weird shit happens, little jap kid makes a "holy shit" expression until you hit the right button to move to the next scene, or something kills you.

None of it's fmv, it's all pixel art, so if you're into that sort of thing it's really nice to look at.
>>
File: popfulmail.gif (13KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
popfulmail.gif
13KB, 320x224px
Popful Mail is a must own for the Sega CD. It's a Working Designs title, like the Lunar games, which should tell you something about the quality.

It's a side scrolling action RPG with anime cutscenes as well as ingame voice acting, charming characters and a simple, light hearted plot.
>>
File: flinksega.png (15KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
flinksega.png
15KB, 320x224px
The (Mis)Adventures of Flink is a dead simple run and jump, hop and bop platformer. The only thing to recommend it is the fantastic graphics. It's acceptable to play but nothing remarkable compared to other 16 bit platformers, except that it's a joy to look at and listen to.
>>
>>3706414
I don't hear about Panic much anymore, but it's definitely in the top few percent of Sega CD games. Not a ton of replay value, but it's such a great combination of weird and polished that I can't help but think it's amazing.
>>
>>3706307
Good Sega CD games:
>Sonic CD (platform), Earthworm Jim SE (platform), Flink (platform), Spider-Man (platform), Terminator CD (platform), Popful Mail (platform-adventure), Lunar & Lunar II (RPG), Shining Force CD (tactical-RPG), Dark Wizard (tactical-RPG), Lords of Thunder (shooter), Android Assault (shooter), Keio Flying Squadron (shooter), Robo Aleste (shooter), Silpheed (shooter), Soul Star (shooter), Snatcher (adventure), Rise of the Dragon (adventure), Space Adventure Cobra (adventure), Final Fight CD (beat'em up), Jaguar XJ220 (racing), Wing Commander (simulation), Road Avenger (FMV). Thunderhawk and Battlecorps are very impressive Core games, I don't like them very much, though.

I'm fond of the Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown ports despite their huge animation cuts, but there are far better versions of these games around. Time Gal is also a pretty fun FMV (nowhere near as good as Road Avenger, though). Jurassic Park CD is a... interesting adventure, I guess. There's also fucktons of slightly improved Genesis games (Flashback, Ecco 1 & 2, Puggsy, Out of this World, Chuck Rock I & II, Sol Feace), Vay is acceptable if you're into J-RPGs. Road Rash CD is based on the 3DO version, but plays like the Genesis games.

Good 32X games:
>Shadow FUCKING Squadron, aka Stellar Assault.
>Blackthorne, Space Harrier, After Burner Complete, Doom (terrible sound and stage cuts, though), Virtua Racing Deluxe, Virtua Fighter, Mortal Kombat II, Kolibri, Knuckles Chaotix, Star Wars Arcade.
>>
>>3706448

Add Kolibri and Tempo to that list
>>
File: IMG_3303.jpg (36KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3303.jpg
36KB, 210x240px
>>3706418
Hi, I'm Mail. Popful Mail.
>>
>>3706473

Ooouugghh, I biffed it
>>
If you like action/platformers you should pick up hook. Terminator is also dope. As is final fight, which is the best version of the game as well.
>>
The Sega CD version of Mortal Kombat was the best home port ever. Hell, the blood was even turned on without having to do DULLARD. If kids were playing, you had to go into the menu and actually turn blood *off*.

Fuck you, Nintendo. People want gore with their MK titles.
>>
File: lords.jpg (22KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
lords.jpg
22KB, 259x194px
I'm shocked nobody has said Lords of Thunder yet.
>>
>>3706418
>It's a Working Designs title, like the Lunar games, which should tell you something about the quality
So, butchered localization, bad translation, bad VA, forced "jokes" and general "you only play this game because of us" attitude?
>>
File: trashslide.jpg (56KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
trashslide.jpg
56KB, 600x450px
>>3706849

Down the slide with you, mister.
>>
@3706851
"ugh, it's not bad and incompetent job. Actually it's adaptation!"
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.