[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 16

File: EVO.png (856KB, 593x588px) Image search: [Google]
EVO.png
856KB, 593x588px
IT'S FINALLY HERE
http://46okumen.com/2016/12/28/e-v-o-the-theory-of-evolution-pc-98-is-out/
>>
Is it like EVO The Search for Eden?
>>
>>3704325
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/46okunen/46okunen.htm

More like a JRPG than action rpg.
>>
Anyone have a DL link? The FDI I got from an old Mega dump doesn't work with the patch.
>>
>>3704398
Try the files from the Neo Kobe dump.

https://mega.nz/#F!jIgkXQDY!hE3FQNWl77DkzKErGdz35g
>>
>>3704402
Thanks, now how do I move my character? The manual says number pad but I'm on a laptop and don't have that.
>>
>>3704451
Joy2key or autohotkey.
>>
>>3704459
I guess I'm fucked then.
>>
>>3704661
Your other option is to try Anex86 and rebind the keypad in the emulator itself. There's a ton of options.
>>
>>3704451
Buy a USB keypad for 10 bucks?
>>
>>3704667
Gonna try that.
>>
>>3704302
No sexy goddess ohego h-doujins?
>>
File: dk rap.png (59KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
dk rap.png
59KB, 300x220px
>>3704302
PERFORMING FOR YOU
IF YOU KNOW THE WORDS
YOU CAN JOIN IN TOO
>>
>>3704302
Great, to think i'd be more excited by old releases >>3703793 than by the new ones
>>
File: EVO 3.png (30KB, 645x402px) Image search: [Google]
EVO 3.png
30KB, 645x402px
This game is awesome. I evolved into a shark that evolved into a coelacanth.
>>
Oh good, you guys already found it and got it running and things.

A word of warning about emulator issues we've run into since launch.

Only use the HDI format of the game if you are running on real hardware or emulating on Neko Project 2 fmgen. Other versions of NP2 (particularly those with filenames like *x11.exe) will freeze at a later point in the game, and neither Anex86 nor T98-Next will run the HDI version at all.

Highly recommend you stick to either the HDM or FDI formats instead of the HDI one unless you're paying attention to the above.

Beyond that, hope you guys have fun. (I translated the game.)
>>
>>3704302
What do I do once all the creatures in the first screen start being hostile?
>>
>>3706598
Also, playing this with Anex since no number pad and music only seems to play when I'm in a menu like looking at stats.
>>
>>3706598
>>3706628
It's time to start fighting jellyfish. Maybe see if the menu (spacebar) has anything that will help.
>>
File: d1f122c01e.png (28KB, 641x402px) Image search: [Google]
d1f122c01e.png
28KB, 641x402px
Maybe I'm not finding the right emulator here, but none of the in-battle numbers seem to work.
>>
>>3706752
Might be a font issue. Did you download and setup a proper font for your emulator?
>>
>>3706781
Downloading T98-Next's font file fixed it, thanks.
>>
>>3706716
Yeah, now I'm stuck again when I get on land. Evolved enough so land doesn't hurt me and found a cave with currents that push you back, couldn't find anything in there to do and am now stuck.
>>
>>3706910
There might be some places where you can walk on water. Like places that are shallower.

Honestly the game is an old JRPG. You talk to someone, they give you a hint, you explore while thinking about that hint. You're going to have to look in every nook and cranny of the map. Try reading the manual, too. Old school manuals are pretty helpful.
>>
File: 1465762971800.png (91KB, 668x319px) Image search: [Google]
1465762971800.png
91KB, 668x319px
>mfw seeing this
Now all my gaming life needs is the Taikou Risshiden and Uncharted Waters series.
>>
>>3706910

I had to keep exploring that map until I found an exit hidden in the shadows in the far right side. I wish the other fish would stop mocking you and just tell you where the exit is. Warning, the amphibian part is even worse when it comes to getting directions.
>>
>>3704302
Should I play EVO The Search for Eden first or this one?
>>
>>3707659
Search for Eden kind of sucks in comparison.
>>
someone want to upload a preconfigured emulator/rom setup for this? not only would it help lazy pieces of shit like myself, but it would get more people talking about it.
>>
File: NP2_0000.gif (16KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
NP2_0000.gif
16KB, 640x400px
This is the best translation.
>>
>>3707632
There's also like way too many spawns of creatures
>>
What do you do once you knock the rock off the cliff?
>>
>>3707939
Head up the river formed after the rock's knocked off. It branches off, follow the west branch of the river. It's going to take you on a path that circles north then head east. You're going to head into the particularly harsh looking desert.
>>
>>3707926

I know. I was stuck with maxed out stats forever as an amphibian. Early reptitle is going well so far except all the random forest fires everywhere.
>>
Here's a protip:
Saving then reloading immediately will clear the screen of all enemies and some environment effects.
>>
Why are the special attacks so shit compared to the regular attack?
>>
>>3708289
Because your wisdom is too low.
>>
>>3708305
I've been picking the wrong dump stat.
>>
File: NP2_0001.gif (17KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
NP2_0001.gif
17KB, 640x400px
Oh god
>>
The ending is as weird as I heard it was. Great game though, will probably be doing a replay soon.
>>
>>3707906
Oh jesus is that real?
>>
>>3707906

:(
>>
File: unknown.png (87KB, 658x439px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
87KB, 658x439px
They gave their composer, Koichi Sugiyama, a cameo.
>>
Protip: Go down the reptilian evolutionary line near the end. Shit gets weird as hell.
>>
>>3709497
There's a bunch of cameos from the developers too.
>>
What are you supposed to do after getting the gem from the dead guy in the amphibian era?
>>
>>3710119
Find somewhere in that same area to use it maybe.
>>
how many alternate ends have you found so far? I only found the really obvious slime one thus far.
>>
>>3707659

Don't listen to >>3707659

But you should play this one first since it was released first.
E.V.O is an action side-scrolling RPG.
>>
>>3710534
I got the Newt ending when you get too much intelligence as an amphibian.
>>
>>3710534

I got the coelacanth ending for the fish chapter.
>>
>>3708464
>Homo
Homo are classy, nippon!
>>
>>3710534
I got the Green Dragon (Level up your strength as a Wyrm)

There is also the 3 alternate endings before the final chapter if you do not choose the Wisdom Direction.
>>
Manual says there are 47 endings in total. Good luck.
>>
someone spoonfeed me a rom and emu setup for this game you fantastic people
>>
>>3711252
Only found 8 so far.
>>
>>3711256
Try reading the thread.
>>
File: NP2_0000.gif (19KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
NP2_0000.gif
19KB, 640x400px
Hahaha, if you sing as a Sugiyaman, the game plays an off-key version of the main Dragon Quest theme.
>>
File: EVO chart.png (555KB, 2700x8028px) Image search: [Google]
EVO chart.png
555KB, 2700x8028px
I made a chart of all the evolutions. Spoilered because discovering them all is one of the best parts of the game.
>>
>>3712117
And i thought Search for Eden caused paleonthologists seizures.
>>
>>3704302
Cool, now I just need Arino to play this and/or Search for Eden
>>
File: B7qHh--CcAAJ6F2.png (345KB, 600x298px) Image search: [Google]
B7qHh--CcAAJ6F2.png
345KB, 600x298px
>>3708464
>>3710668
>>
>>3712756
But if they're 'homo' sapiens, how did they have kids?
>>
>>3712117
>the epitome of evolution is a blond haired, blue eyed, white male

REEEEEE
>>
>>3713153
homo-erections
>>
>>3713153
That's probably why they were called homo sapiens, joey
>>
I'm late to the party, but what patcher do you recommend guys? Does Lunar IPS work, or is this a different format entirely?
>>
>>3714881
Different format entirely. Check the readme that comes with the patch, there's a link in there.
>>
>>3715047
Thanks; will do when I get back from work.

This project comes out of left field, but it nonetheless is really neat (and the ost is killer); I've been wanting to try some PC-98 games for some time now (the non-eroge ones). High on my wishlist for translations would be XZR: Idols of Apostate and Shiryou Sensen: War of the Dead 2, myself.
>>
I know this is a pretty old game, but is it like actually good or are there too many aspects of it's time that make it not a terribly fun experience?
I'm talking things like mindless grinding and limited movement and such
>>
>>3715079
You just listed the only two real "issues" the game has right there! The movement is fine for the most part, but there are a few places that are single tile openings that can be shitty to try to get through if you're one of the faster creatures. Fortunately there's very few of those.

And as far as mindless grinding goes, yeah, there's going to be some of that. You can skip a lot of it though, as the game does provide a few other ways to get the genes necessary to evolve if you're good at exploring and things.

It's still a fun experience, all in all.
>>
>>3715081
I believe I may look into it then.
Thanks, Anon.
>>
Just beat this tonight and loved it. There were a few places where I got stuck and had to consult a video playthrough on Youtube but otherwise it was a solid experience. Overall I liked it a lot more than the SNES game (which I'm still rather fond of). Very glad to have had the chance to experience this in English.
>>
>>3704302
This game just goes all Evangelion-esque in the end and I love that.
>>
>>3716482
>>3716232
Make sure you guys read the manual, too. If you loved the story at all, the manual really fleshes a lot of the background to the game as well.
>>
I'm a retard when it comes to emulating PC98, how do I play this?
Also does anyone have a prepatched rom?
>>
>>3716584

Super easy, get the HDI version from here: >>3704402

Get the patch from here:
>>3704302

Get the patcher from here:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/

Run the HDI patch and you've got an English game.

Emulating PC-98 is also explained basically step by step here:
http://46okumen.com/pc-98-emulation/

So basically, just learn to read.
>>
>>3716490
I sure did! The timeline and little story chapters were particularly interesting. :D
>>
Frankomatic did an LP of the japanese version.

It was pretty sweet and i was surprised there wasnt a translation out given the popularity of the snes evo.
>>
>>3716887
I actually followed that at a few places I got stuck. Was very handy.
>>
its better on snes
>>
>>3716618
Thanks. I uploaded the prepatched rom and the emulator (with set configuration and font, all according to the guide you posted), so here's a link for people who don't want to waste around three or four minutes.
https://www.mediafire.com/?dmj7a7rjdbwr9n4
To run the game:
Harddisk -> IDE #0
Then
Emulator -> Reset
Also
>Common controls are the the numbers 2, 4, 6, and 8 on the numpad, arrow keys, enter, space, ctrl, z and x. Some games require you to use your mouse, so when that happens hit F12 and it’ll force NP2 to accept your mouse’s input properly. (Also, hit F12 again to get out of that mode.)
>>
>>3717076
The SNES games is more action, this is more RPG. Both are nice.
>>
https://mega.nz/#F!2UFVXShJ!B9t-jaHox47h8uD7w0o1fQ

Just a heads up I happened to find this folder link for the soundtracks to both EVO games. Enjoy!
>>
So which emulation / exe is recommended for this game?

>np2.exe/np2nt.exe - emulates a PC-9801 with 286 CPU (16-bit)
>np2sx.exe/np2sxnt.exe - same as the above, but emulates a 386SX CPU (32-bit with 16-bit bus)
>np21.exe/np21nt.exe - emulates a PC-9821 with an IA-32 CPU (32-bit)
>>
>>3718508

If you've already read this >>3706435 then there shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>3718378
These games have some cool music. Sugiyama was pretty skilled at this. Thank you!
>>
File: killyerself.jpg (13KB, 171x96px) Image search: [Google]
killyerself.jpg
13KB, 171x96px
Whoever thought this was a good idea should've stabbed themselves
>>
>>3718508
I think I read somewhere that generally you want to use np21.exe.
>>
>>3708308
>dump stat

Don't do that. Balanced is best.

Granted though, Wisdom is a probably the iffiest stat to invest in because the game sees fit to constantly reset your your list of Specials every chapter and it doesn't really start being reliable until like the end of 1 chapter and the next to last chapter.

>>3717076
Eh. I disagree. I think this flows better as a game. But I do miss the individual evolution thing the SNES had.
>>
>>3719636
I never did balance, just attack and endurance until they're maxed, then vitality and wisdom depending on the chapter
>>
>>3718806
What, do you want them to change it to Bird Power?
>>
>>3719886
Its not a rag on the translation its a rag on how they just named your attacks "x power" and since theres no description youre fucked into guessing

This is a losable fight by the way backed by a few other cutscenes
>>
>>3719636
I disagree. Wisdom is awesome and generally better to invest in than Strength. Strength grants you a single attack while Wisdom gives you all sorts of special abilities (dependent on what you evolve into) and determines the power/effectiveness of said abilities. Recover is a godsend, particularly in later chapters. Endurance and Vitality are also important, Endurance a little more-so because you need to hit certain thresholds in order to safely cross hazardous terrain.
>>
>>3719909
thanks for the heads up, didnt think there would be another ending given that deciding to join the bad guy earlier doesn't give you one

i love all the extra "bad ends"
>>
File: 1468856632074.webm (1MB, 404x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468856632074.webm
1MB, 404x720px
Thanks for this thread, the SNES game is one of my favorites and I had no idea this existed.
>>
>have to go through billions of years of bullshit
>human female just happens to conveniently shows up right when you become human
>doesn't even help you in the final battle
Dude, this is bullshit.
Also, I get the feeling that the "human" you become in the end is more of an esper or something, despite what it may say in-game.
>>
>>3722745
I can only imagine her despair when you don't become a human, or during the violent ending.
>>
>>3722748
I find it kind of curious that you are considered Gaia's child, yet "merge" with her in the final battle via your "spiritual" body. Yet, you have a similar relation ship yet "marry" her in the SNES game.
However, the human female is just strange. The game sort of hints to her being from the very first chapter with the fish female who tries to protect you and cries when she never sees you again. Makes me suspect she's the human female who just happens to show up since she claims to be chosen by Gaia as well.

That said,
>survive volcanos and other bullshit
>can't survive 3 or 4 lightning bolts from Lucifer
what
>live on via a spiritual body (which can still somehow "die") after your body is described as being destroyed to literal tiny bits
>can't do this any single other time in the game when all you do is "faint" (I guess we could argue this is the power of being a "Sage" or something)
What
>After the final battle, Gaia is all "Uh you don't have a body to return to. So, uh, yeah. Okay, I've suddenly decided that evolution is over with." Despite all sorts of NON-HUMANS co-existing as well. (seriously, what the fuck is up with that)
>earth just fucking vanishes from the solar system and everyone presumably dies or "ascends to a higher plane of spiritual life" or something, I don't even fucking know while Gaia says "let's all go EVOLVE again across another 4.6 billion years!"
WHAT

WHAT WAS THE FUCKING POINT OF RESISTING FOR ALMOST 5 BILLION YEARS IF WE WERE ALL JUST GOING TO "PASS ON" ANYWAYS? GET IT TOGETHER, GAIA.
>>
>>3722786
>The moonmen are still drifting in space
>>
>>3722745
>>3722786
It's vaguely implied that all humans at this point have psychic powers, and you plus the other Sages just happen to be the strongest.
>>
>>3704302
does this also include the PC98 emulator?
>>
i'm new to this system. can someone tell me why neko project 2 last version doesn't want to open .hdi files? and what should i do to play these games?
>>
>>3723216
i just found out i had to put them in harddisk and not fdd!!
>>
>>3722786
>I find it kind of curious that you are considered Gaia's child, yet "merge" with her in the final battle via your "spiritual" body. Yet, you have a similar relation ship yet "marry" her in the SNES game.

In the PC-98 game I saw you as being more Gaia's "champion". It's definitely a more complex relationship there, and there's likely some maternal and platonic emotions mixed in as well.

As for the "point" of the game, I interpreted Lucifer's defeat as being Earth's final triumph. With your help, Earth overcame the greatest malevolence in the known universe and has earned the right to take a place among the gods themselves. Through shared understanding and compassion for one another, facilitated through the psychic link created by Gaia and the Chosen One, life on Earth has "evolved" past negative emotions. With all the other planets in the solar system dead and Lucifer vanquished, there's no longer any reason for Earth to remain in the physical solar system.
>>
I think I got it working. I patched all 4 HDM files
>>
I think I already fucked myself in this game.

There's no more Jellyfight for me to fight and the Thelodus are kicking my ass
>>
>>3723258
>With all the other planets in the solar system dead
Yeah, I read the manual a bit before posting that, but finishing it really put things into perspective
>hey lucifer, let's join forces
>"lol ok"
>lucifer why are you eating us please no
What a fucking bitch.
>Earth overcame the greatest malevolence in the known universe and has earned the right to take a place among the gods themselves.
>there's no longer any reason for Earth to remain in the physical solar system.
I guess that makes sense. Plus, I'm not 100% sure that all the damage got fixed from before the final battle where monsters were invading and disasters were taking place on a global scale. If they didn't get fixed, then I guess that was probably the last option left, since it definitely seemed like things were seriously getting fucked.

Three things that still confuse me though, and the last partly applies to the SNES game as well, but:
1) Were other lifeforms (earthly or otherwise) aware of the Chosen as being billions of years old? I imagine the final era in the PC98 game they were, but I can't imagine talking to some guy who began life (as far as we played at least) as a tiny fucking fish and lived through literal eras. (I mean, what do you even talk about to someone like that? "Do you ever miss being a fish?" "What was it like changing forms at will? etc.) At the very least, the vegetarian primates seem to acknowledge the Chosen as having "strange abilities".
(tbc)
>>
>>3706435
Thanks for your hard work anon
>>
>>3723416
2) I'm not sure if they made this clear in any supplemental material or anything, but what was the Chosen even doing for those thousands of years between eras? Hibernating? Actually being awake? Meditating like in the final era? In the SNES game you just jump in a portal and zip onto the next era. Also, although the SNES game has you eating as a key part of your growth, it doesn't seem like you eat at all in the PC98 game (save for "drinking water" or whatever the glowing HP pools do) despite what the descriptions say about each form's diet. Maybe as the Chosen you don't need to eat? Seemed like Gaia was always pissed when any other life form ate each other, at least in the PC98 game. She'd also be somewhat upset in the SNES game as well, but it was also a necessity in that game.
3) This is my big one: what the hell were all the other lifeforms doing while the Chosen was doing whatever for all the millennia that passed between key eras? I imagine that they probably did at least some stuff since they seem to find out about "legends" or develop rivalries amongst other lifeform factions before you start walking around again. Some of them also seem to be far more older and yet also more powerful than they should be, presumably due to the influence of Lucifer or Bolbox. In addition, I'm not entirely sure on this one, but most lifeforms don't seem to be entirely aware of Gaia either.

I don't expect anyone to answer any of these. If there's an additional supplementary material, I'd like to read it, but past that, I'm just throwing this out there as part of the stuff I was wondering about. It's just a game, and I know it's nothing serious, but this is stuff I found myself asking at the time.
>>
>>3706435
Gotta agree with >>3723419
Good job, to you and everyone else. This sucker has remained japanese-only for what seems like 4.6 billion years (hurr). Thanks for making it happen.

Also, man, this takes me back. I remember not knowing anything about E.V.O. over a decade ago. I saw the title screen for the SNES game and I think listened to the title screen music and thought to myself, for whatever reason, that it was going to be a sci-fi RPG about people in the far future, possibly post-apocalypse, looking for the actual Eden as a final utopia.
Imagine my reaction when I played the game and found myself playing as a fish.
>>
I also tossed together a prepatched emu setup. This uses the HDI version of the game so there is no disk swapping.
Also has the original files as well.
Requires no configuration at all not even pointing to the HDI files, is presetup to run from any directory.

https://mega.nz/#!VhdBlYbD!dsh9dTcOIdUoRPdTzFGxiye0vKycI0OhQ9u5FdpwTbw
>>
>>3722786
Don't lightning bolts reach temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun which is hotter than any surface lava made by Earth?
>>
>>3723497
>A bolt of lightning, which can reach temperatures of roughly 30,000 kelvins (53,540 degrees Fahrenheit). The sun, on the other hand, is eclipsed in this case — its surface temperature is just 6,000 kelvins (10,340 degrees Fahrenheit)
>The temperature of lava when it is first ejected from a volcanic vent can vary between 700 and 1,200 degrees C (1,300 to 2,200 F).
>The average temperature of a lightning bolt is 27,700 degrees Celsius [roughly 49892 degrees fahrenheit from my conversion on google just now], or five times hotter than the temperature of the surface of the Sun, which is 5,505 degrees Celsius
WELP
Seems to be that way, even without lightning reaching it's HIGHEST temperature. Damn, games -really- downplay how stupidly strong lightning is now that I bothered to look at it. Even Dragon Quest which generally has lightning as the strongest element.
Still seems a bit strange, given how the Chosen just kinda shrugs off volcanic eruptions, even as a fish. "Oh. Ouch, I guess." Somehow swimming, deserts, and the cold (without wearing fur) are still a huge problem though.

That aside,
>power of scorn and laughing at you somehow make you weaker
I mean, I guess because it's the devil we're talking about, but compared to everything else in the game, this in particular seems really weird and a bit off (I say this about a game where lizard people have bases in prehistoric earth. Fantastic.).
>>
One last thing I wanted to add that isn't a wall of text.
>devs puts in a lot of bad ends
>tells you about this on the box and encourages you to find them all
That's great. I'd like more devs to do this (except you know, without needing to end in porn like erogames).
>>
Anyone else find it weird that the SNES game had fucking Martians in it?
>>
>>3723769
Honestly, the original was far weirder.
At least the SNES game makes, uh, sense, in that all this weird shit happens because the martians are influencing evolution.
Though they end up realizing that's not the best idea, and feel that it's better for them to just let evolution happen naturally, since it will probably end up better than they could have done and they hope to see how it will grow. That, and Bolbox is going batshit from the evolution crystals, trying to get with Gaia and rule Eden. Too bad the crazy blob thinks he's actually human. I think the Chosen defeating Bolbox was probably the final realization for the Martians that "Yeah, let's just leave them be. They'll be alright." They also say that they'll try to build up their own society on Mars in anticipation for when Earthlings can finally interact with them.
>>
>>3707710
Essentially what this guy said. Is this EVO better than the snes version if you didn't like the snes one?
>>
>>3723802
But the Chosen was using the power of the crystals as well
>>
>>3723913
Or... was he?
Based on everything that goes down, I'm guessing it's technically "not canon" that he uses the crystals and solely something on the player end. Besides, the crystals' power never lasts. Usually reverting after a short while.
Even if he did use them, he probably didn't abuse them like the enemies in the game did.
Since, y'know, natural evolution totally allows you to become some strange ass hodge-podge of animal parts. Or a mermaid. Or grow a shirt.
>>
File: this is totally natural.png (52KB, 575x419px) Image search: [Google]
this is totally natural.png
52KB, 575x419px
>>3724134
>>
>>3724149
>not some rabbit with a cat's face
>>
>>3723416
Plenty of creatures seem to be aware that you're uniquely gifted, but I don't think anyone outside of Lucifer and that one Homo Sapien female are aware that you were chosen by Gaia.

>>3723436
I think the Chosen One is actually active and alive for the entire period of the game, evolving into more advanced creatures over time instead of actually dying. The game only puts us "in control" when all the batshit stuff takes place. The cutscenes that take place between eras often indicate a long passage of time between the end of one chapter and the start of a new one.

That said the passage of time is difficult to interpret in some cases. A few eras have you essentially doing fetch quests, which shouldn't take a long span of time, but then there's other events like the Lunarians colonizing Earth and establishing the civilizations of Atlantis and Mu. It takes only about 10 minutes to reach the point of spotting their arrival and getting to Atlantis, but the city is fully constructed and has flourished. So for some parts of the game I think the passage of time is skewed. Or perhaps the trip through Shambala involved some sort of weird time displacement.

As for your last question, do you just mean the other creatures of Earth? If so I think it's safe to assume they just went on living, eating, fucking, and dying like all proper lifeforms. Only the Chosen One is unique in being able to live through every era of evolution.
>>
>>3723551
I think this just exists as a mechanic to help you level up in cases where A) you've evolved too quick and all the low-level creatures have vanished from the game area or B) if you've jumped too far ahead and any enemy you run into will kill you too quickly.

I wouldn't read too much into it, but it is funny to think about.
>>
>>3723769
This one does too, though you only ever encounter a corpse of one in the amphibian era. The manual actually goes into a fair amount of detail about the races of the other planets, each one corrupted and lead astray by Lucifer.
>>
>>3723807
It's a totally different game. Where SNES EVO was an action game with RPG elements, this is an RPG through and through. It has a much stronger (and darker) story overall as well. I liked the SNES EVO game quite a bit but after playing this, it's real hard not to look at the SNES game as a redheaded stepchild. The PC-98 game is just leagues better and more interesting to me.
>>
>>3723913
Not in the same way as most of the antagonists were though. When the other creatures used the crystals, they were subverting the natural order of evolution (usually by gaining far more intelligence or strength than they would have otherwise). I guess being the Chosen One you're kind of exempt from those natural laws.
>>
>>3712117

So "humans" in this game can evolve from either mammals or reptiles?
>>
File: bored bear.jpg (7KB, 201x134px) Image search: [Google]
bored bear.jpg
7KB, 201x134px
>>3724191
>I think the Chosen One is actually active and alive for the entire period of the game, evolving into more advanced creatures over time instead of actually dying.
>Only the Chosen One is unique in being able to live through every era of evolution.
"I am so bored. I am like the boredest guy in the WOOORRRRLLLD!"
>>
>>3724235
Only you, in the final chapter there are humans, elves and reptile people living together.
>>
>>3724235
Nope.
You evolve by meeting the "chosen female" who never seems to show up again.
She placed a tablet on a tree stump before you showed up and you do the same. You both enter this blue "pond" thing (I guess it's a pond?), and then you both evolve into humans upon entering it, though this seems to be partly dependent on your evo points. Then both you leave the area and the next timeskip of so many thousands of years happens.
IIRC, if you have your stats skewed while doing this, you end up getting a bad end as a dwarf or elf. I think these two can also happen if you evolve the wrong way before meeting the Chosen Female, but I could be wrong.
Also, after you and the Chosen Female leave the area, you get a choice of one "final evolutionary incline" for humanity as a whole related to the four stats. This is a bullshit choice though, since all of the stats except Wisdom/Intelligence lead to a different bad end.
Upon choosing Wisdom, the final chapter begins, though it's pretty much just a small area leading to the final boss fight.
>>
So I like to play 16 bit games on my Xplay. Does this game need more than 8 buttons/keys?
>>
>>3724206
I think that is a bit of a split opinion.
One neat thing about the SNES game is how you can change things up with different aspects showing notable change and effects on your character. Gaining flight, though a hidden ability, is also really interesting and opens more options to grow and explore. Plus being able to revert to previous forms, if only temporarily, is neat, especially when you are forced to in certain areas like when you must become aquatic again near the end. Plus, no bad ends just from "evolving the wrong way", which kinda sucks on a game sense. Sure, bad ends exist, but you have to try to get them on purpose.

Let's be honest, too. While both games involve battles of attrition, the SNES is definitely more rewarding for avoiding injuries. PC-98 also throws in some pretty nasty shit sometimes such as the "sneak attacks from your blind spot" or "enemy yells stunning you" which just end up with you dead or severely injured. Also, crits seem to happen a lot for some reason, from both sides, making for very real double-edged sword situations.

The mechanics are more noteworthy in the snes while the story and narrative are much stronger in the PC98, especially with the manual. The bad ends as well also add extra flavor and comedy once you get the hang of avoiding them.
>>
>>3724283
No, it only needs five: the numpad arrows and the space bar.
>>
>>3724468
No hotkeys at all?
>>
>>3724321
Maybe I was speaking too harshly. SNES EVO is definitely not a bad game, and I have very fond memories of it. I just found the experience of playing the PC-98 game to be so much better, particularly due to the story.
>>
>>3724474
None. Numpad arrows move your character and cycle through menu choices, while space actually opens the menu and accepts menu choices. Those five keys are all that's used.
>>
>>3724278
Being that you meet the "chosen female" in Eden I think it's easy to assume that the two of you are intended to be the biblical "Adam and Eve".
>>
>>3724474
You might also need enter and escape. Escape cancels out of menus.
>>
>>3724480
Yeah, figured as much. I'm almost surprised that they didn't ever make a side story where you play as her instead.
I figured she -might- be the fish female you meet at the beginning who hopes to meet you again, especially since she also avoids Lucifer's green light, but that is kind of a stretch.
It's how she just pops up and also has a tablet, despite the fact that you had to obtain yours and fight lucifer before meeting her that annoys me.
>>
>>3724525
I like to think she had her own set of adventures parallel to yours throughout the whole game, maybe even a few encounters with Lucifer as well.
>>
>>3724525
>>3724531
It's also possible though that she was simply chosen by the Creator (instead of Gaia) to be your mate and begin the human race with.
>>
Game seems interesting. Never looked into PC-98 emulation before. Any other games on the system worth playing? I do not know any Japanese though.
>>
46 OkuMen posted the finished version of the manual on their site:

http://46okumen.com/projects/e-v-o-the-theory-of-evolution/
>>
>>3717090
nice one anon
>>
>>3724557
>Once you've beaten the game, try playing again but this time see if you can find all evolution end short stories. There are 47 stories in total...
>47

Bloody hell, I expected maybe 5 alternative ending, not 47. So far I've only found the slime ending but I have yet to finish the game.
>>
>>3724672
Most of the alternate endings are achieved by evolving too much in one direction (like putting points into Endurance again and again) and evolving "off the scale". Think of it as reaching an evolutionary dead-end.

Aside from this there are very few bad ends that can be seen through making an improper choice in the game itself.
>>
>>3724557
holy fuck, that was a weird read
>>
>>3724629
Thanks
>>
>>3724553
There are a bunch of games worth playing. The problem is, they're all Japanese. The only really notable translated titles are EVO, 6 of the Farland Story games, and The Screamer. The rest of the translated games are shit like Touhous and some shitty eroge. Hopefully that'll change.
>>
>>3726159
>PC-98 eroge
>shitty
You take that back you son of a bitch
>>
I just started this.
Am I supposed to be moving at the speed of light?
And the SFX for text seems to lag a bit.
>>
>>3726584
You move pretty quick in the game, but not ridiculously fast, which emulator are you using? The prepackaged one above with NP2FMGEN?

And as for the beeps being a little delayed with the sound, that is unfortunately an emulator issue that also occurs in the Japanese version. I tried with SL9821 which has some of the lowest latency sound emulation (though the emulator itself is still very early stages) and the SFX for text seems to be right on the mark.
>>
>>3726606
Yeah, from >>3717090

If it's normal I can deal with it, but it seems like I'm moving really, really fast compared to the NPCs in those first couple cutscenes.
I mean, the player character sprite is basically flickering while moving, which doesn't strike me as being very normal.
>>
>>3726630
I just tried that one, and you might need to turn on hardware rendering instead of software rendering. But beyond that it seems to be a good copy. Unless you're moving like instantaneously you should be fine. I think there are ways to distribute your points to also make your character move faster/slower in the game too.
>>
>>3726676
It appears to be the same when set to Hardware Rendering.
I suppose my earlier comment about the speed of light was something of an exaggeration. It's not instantaneous but it's still pretty quick.
I watched the translation release trailer again and it seems to just be normal. There's a bit near the end showing the movement of a player character and it's as fast as mine's going.
Thanks for the help Anon.

Also according to the manual, speed increases with points invested in Wisdom and Endurance, and decreases with points invested in Attack and Vitality
>>
>>3726584
The more you evolve Wisdom and Endurance, the faster you get. The more you evolve Strength and Vitality, the slower you get.

Though I believe the speed is tied to the current form you have, not the actual stats of the attributes. So Strength and Vitality leads to slower forms while Wisdom and Endurance leads to faster forms. In my experience it seems like the more left you are on the evolution chart, the faster you are and vice versa.
>>
can someone tell me how to pause or mute neko project 2?
>>
anyone else has a load state problem in the latest versions of neko project? it just crashes
>>
>>3727080
Turn everything off in Device -> Sound in your menus. Or you know, just mute it in your OS?
>>
>>3724557
Cool, thanks.
>>
>try to download just the manual
>says it's corrupted every time I try to extract it

Anyone else having this issue?
>>
>stupidly dump all EVO points in Strength to evolve quickly
>reach a point where i'm getting wasted by hundreds of Ophiacodon for hours
>>
>>3729592
Try it again. Might have just been uploaded incorrectly.
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.