[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I grew up with SNES but never played a single Mega Man game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

I grew up with SNES but never played a single Mega Man game. It seems to be held in high regard here, so what's the appeal of the series?
>>
Side-scrolling action-platformer games with charming graphics and catchy, good music, tight level design and memorable bosses, as well as powerups, and in the case of X series, walljumping and some other details that took the series to a new level.
>>
How is it possible to grow up with a snes and never play a Mega Man game? You're telling me that with the 100's of rentals and countless friends games you've never fired up a MM cart? Get on that shit anon. Fix the tragic mistakes of your past.
>>
>>3700695
Play for yourself and find out. It's a bit oerrated actually.
>>
>>3700695

Super solid controls, challenging and fast paced levels, fun weapons that often double as utility instead of just offense and offers surprisingly consistent quality despite the absurd number of games in existence.
>>
>>3700695
It's called non stop action.
https://youtu.be/BaKbqF-JT5s?t=36s
https://youtu.be/yFIDGFvVwC0?t=30s

Hype action games. Mega Man X is a fast pace run and gun platformer.
>>
File: 1443730754313.jpg (1MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
1443730754313.jpg
1MB, 2816x2112px
>>3700695
solid platforming and character charm
>>
I never liked the NES era Megaman games, but the X series on SNES is dope. Get that ROM going and start with Chill Penguin, adventure awaits.
>>
>>3700695
We have MM threads every week but OK.

NES Megamans like 2 and 3 are extremely simple on paper, and yet they are very challenging. It's in the enemies that are placed in the most inconvenient spots imaginable, platforming parts which demand 100% focus, and some parts where you have to act VERY fast, keeping you on the edge of your seat. However, MM isn't unfair, and this is one of the cases where the game is hard without "artificial" difficulty or quarter muncher parts.

Megaman X is a little bit different. The thing about it is just how fluid the movement and control over the character is in it. Dashing and wall climbing is done in a way that feels really intuitive, and charge shot mechanic feels great too. Immediately obvious is also the more serious tone of the game, with more complex plot and themes. Also, it introduced some Metroid-style features like collectible suit upgrades and health tanks placed in hidden spots, which nicely broadened the series gameplay for a new console gen.

Technically, MM and MMX series are connected plot-wise. But at the same time, they take place in completely different eras. So if you start from MMX, you won't really lose much, since the NES MM series plot was more like a Saturday morning cartoon.
>>
>>3700847
>had the chance to buy all the classic megaman figures at a KB toys going out of business sale
>redneck friends made fun of how they looked
>get discouraged from buying them
> i_i
>>
>>3700997
I vaguely recall disappearing platform sections that are over a pit of death in a bunch of those old MM games.
Add in a bit of frame rate drop. Maybe some sprite flicker. And it's all a giant fuck this game flip the table shitshow.

You don't get any of that in X.
Well, until you hit the final form of Sigma.
To this day, I still find that fight annoying as balls.
>>
>>3700847
>boxed copies of 9 and 10
Wait what?
>>
>>3700847
>no cib ntsc snes mega man games
how could you even call yourself a megaman fan?
>>
>>3703073
They're just really elaborate press kits that contain a collectible cd with music/art/etc.

and I want one SO badly!
>>
>>3700695
It's fun and challenging.
The music is great.
>>
>>3700695
Jumpan

Shootan

Jumpanshoot man
>>
File: 19727_front.jpg (153KB, 640x1163px) Image search: [Google]
19727_front.jpg
153KB, 640x1163px
>>3700695
Why did they pick the sea stage for the cover? Everyone hates water levels.

Behold: superior Japanese artwork, with Sigma doing Spock's trademark gesture but failing because he's a shitty gook robot
>>
>>3703749
Launch Octopus's stage was awesome.
>>
>>3703749
Water stages don't suck in Megaman games.
>>
>>3700701
Newsflash, just because you had a console doesn't necessarily mean you had every classic game or rented it.

By the way, OP>>3700695
: don't even bother getting an original cartridge of MMX (or any Megaman game for the SNES for that matter) if you plan to get. It's not worth the prices they ask for nowadays with the huge demand for it. You'd be better off emulating it either unofficially or through something like virtual console or another re-release and if you still want to play it semi-physically, an everdrive would be more economical.

Like most megaman games they are great for replay value and controls wise but they're also usually criticized for not changing much after any installment but then again, people say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" ...
>>
>>3700695
ROCK SOLID action-platformers with some of the most memorable bosses ever and top tier weapons systems.
>>
>>3700847
I wonder how much time that collector needed to collect everything. Must have taken years even if he or she did that before the retro video game boom.
>>
>>3703796
>Newsflash, just because you had a console doesn't necessarily mean you had every classic game or rented it.
This. Also, some kids had other hobbies besides sitting inside playing games. Looking back I owned very few games for each system I had. My biggest collection was probably the Gamecube, because that was about the time I started to have my own disposable income.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.