[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Picked this up for $25 from a local thrift store. Everything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: golden tee 99.jpg (93KB, 572x770px) Image search: [Google]
golden tee 99.jpg
93KB, 572x770px
Picked this up for $25 from a local thrift store. Everything works perfectly. MAME cab, here we come!
>>
>>3699957
Mad jelly
>>
>>3699957
Why lie? This thread also has has no subject...it's effectively a Facebook post. Sage in all fields, lurk more.
>>
>>3699957
>Mame cab

So you pretty much paid $25 for something you're going to throw 98% of into the trash.
>>
>>3699961
Not lying. They had JUST gotten it in, hadn't even plugged it in yet. As they were about to bring it inside of the store, I asked the lady at the register what they wanted for it. She said $25, I said, yup, I'll take it, told her I want to pay now, I'll be back in 30 minutes with my truck.

Got it home, plugged it in, and it didn't work. Goddamn it.

Opened the back of it up, the plug was unplugged from the power supply. Plugged it back in, fired it up, BOOM. Perfection.
>>
>>3699965
Well he could just ask somebody to make a new control panel for him or build one himself.
>>
What a waste of a good trackball.
>>
>>3699969
Yeah, I'm going to do a 4 person layout. Player 1 and 4 will be on an NBA Jam layout, players 2 and will be a SF II layout.

I'm also going to keep the trackball for stuff like Missile Command, Centipede, Cabal, etc. I wouldn't mind getting a spinner on there either, for stuff like Tempest and Arkanoid.
>>
>>3699969
Correction, he'll HAVE TO get a custom controller made. What games will he play with two buttons and a track ball?
>>
>>3699965
>>3699969
And I'm going to use the W-G monitor that's in there. Playing arcade games on an LCD just ain't the same as playing on a real arcade monitor.
>>
>>3699972

Oh dear lord don't, believe me it will be a abomination

Just stick to a standard 2P 6 button layout.

Older than the internet but very much related

http://www.wickedretarded.com/~crapmame/
>>
>>3699976
Well, I kinda wanted 4 joysticks for stuff like Crazy Climber, Robotron 2084 and Smash TV.
>>
>>3699975
The monitor and I guess the actual cabinet are all that's even remotely useful to you is what I was getting at.
>>
>>3699989
Pretty much. I've been playing the GT '99, but it gets pretty old pretty quick.

I did find out that this cab was originally a Killer Instinct, so I'm going to go back to that for the side art and marque. Those are absolutely gorgeous.
>>
>>3699968
This is almost exactly the way I got my $25 cab, just needed to have its power cable rewired. I wonder if there's a kit to convert arcade trackballs to Windows trackball. Then you'd be able to keep it and make good use of it.
>>
>>3699994
I guess you got a good deal. You probably can't even get the lumber for $25 these days. I'm just salty because I want a mame cabinet.
>>
>>3699995
An Opti-Pac works. Windows thinks it's a mouse.
>>
>>3699978
I don't blame you for wanting that but you should consider another option really, the layout gets weird.

But then I'm also a stickler who feels you should only build mamecabs new and never convert existing cabs, as they are a limited resource which we cannot get back. So you might not agree with my assessment.
>>
>>3700009
Golden Tee machines are particularly common.
>>
>>3700014
The question really comes down to this.
Will you really be using those other layouts and controllers?
About 95% of arcade games use a eight-way stick with two-six buttons.
Unless you count stuff like mahjong games I guess.
>>
>>3699994
Good Call KI really is a nice looking machine. I do think you should keep the trackball though
>>
>>3700017
Actually pretty much only fighting games use six buttons. There are a LOT of trackbalk games plus a trackball can be used as all kinds of analog controls a digital joystick may not work for like Pachinko Sexy Reaction!
>>
>>3700025
Meant two to six buttons.

Say you don't care for fighters and CAPCOM D&D then there is no need for more than three buttons.
>>
>>3700009
>never convert existing cabs
This is just a standard Midway cab. The only thing that gets replaced in the actual control panel. They bolt on with 4 bolts. The new one I build will dimensionally be identical to something like an NBA Jam panel. Just with more buttons. I think it'll still look stock-ish. At least at a glance. Especially after I put the KI Side Art on.

I googled around and found a place that make reproduction art for $200 for a complete set. I think that's fair. I called the local printer, and they were all "you want WHAT?!?!" Then quoted me like $1500.
>>
>>3700032
I think if I designed a cab I'd make the control boards removable so I could swap in different configurations for different styles of games.

To be honest though my ideal set up would be to just have different style cabs for different style games.
>>
I came to this thread to chastise you for butchering a perfectly fine arcade cabinet, but then I saw it was Golden Tee, so who cares. Have fun with your MAME, OP.
>>
>>3700047
my favorite of those was a guy who built custom adapters out of RJ-45 connectors which were then wired directly to an i-Pac (keyboard adapter for arcade switches), so that any set of inputs could be made as a modular plug-in. Had custom ones for 2-player fighting, 4-player general, tron deadly discs, etc.

>>3700032
ah, I was not aware of this fact. Thank you for clarifying, it's insightful to know that some cabs were built to be multi-functional this way. If you do it the way you claim you will, then you have the approval of at least this stubborn guy.
>>
>>3700108
That would be perfect. Just drop in the control deck you need and go. Would be nice for games like Golden Tee, or Night Driving.
>>
>>3700137
In a perfect world, I'd love to have a Defender panel, a Spy Hunter / driving game panel, and an Afterburner / flight game panel. Throw in one for Star Wars and Tron, and I'd be set.
>>
>>3700150
I think the only additional thing I'd have is a couple of EXT ports for things like light guns hidden under the control deck lip.
>>
>>3699961
>>>/out/
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.