[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start doing classic pc gaming. What are some essential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: garalex-2.jpg (42KB, 514x401px) Image search: [Google]
garalex-2.jpg
42KB, 514x401px
I want to start doing classic pc gaming. What are some essential classics to begin with?

I'm talking a good retro starting point and then a list that goes forward in time on things to experience afterward. I want the equivalent to starting with the Greeks for reading.

Where would I begin?
>>
What timeframe do you have in mind? 80s? early to mid 90s? late 90s to early 2000s?
>>
>>3698337
>>>/pol/
>>
x68000 is a good platform to start with. FM towns, PC88 and PC98, lots of good games there.

DOS? Win9x? Apart from the obvious, there isn't really anything worth playing.
>>
Starting with the Greeks would probably be starting with Apple II games.
Wizardry, Ultima, Sierra Adventures but also things like Choplifter.
Atari 8 bit games like Archon or Montezuma's Revenge might also be worthwhile.

Non-personal computer games from the 70s like Adventure, the DnD or Star Trek games or even Space War from the 60s also hold relevance.
>>
>>3698345
>>>/b/
>>
>>3698341
I was thinking more mid-90's actually
>>
File: abuse.webm (2MB, 944x576px) Image search: [Google]
abuse.webm
2MB, 944x576px
>>3698337
abuse
stonekeep
gorky 17
comix zone
rune
clive barkers undying
descent freespace
blood omen
commandos
gothic
hexplore
ignition
hostile waters
baldurs gate
populous 3
incubation
kingpin
quarantine
rollcage
sw racer
vampire the masquerade redemption
alcatraz
bio menace
rise of the triad
bermuda syndrome
>>
>>3698560
Do you have some specific genres in mind?
>>
>>3698576
wow thanks for this awesome list to start on
>>3698592
really anything you feel is essential for someone to play. like a list of stuff that was genre-defining but also something that you would recommend everyone must-play at least once.
>>
>>3698607
you can just randomly go through it and what catches your eye is a good start to have fun
i hope
>>
>>3698576
>comix zone
odd choice

I'd say Fallout if that hasn't been ruined for you yet
>>
>>3698607
What genre defining games were there?
RPG: Wizardry+Ultima
P&C: Advemture: Maniac Mansion
RTS: Dune 2/Warcraft/C&C
FPS: Wolf3D/Doom
Survival Horror: Alone in the Dark
Dating Sim: Doukyuusei
4X: Civilization
>>
>>3698576
>bermuda syndrome

nice, this one isn't mentioned often.

I'm not a fan of "cinematic platformers", but this one has great art and music. Also dinosaurs.
>>
>>3698560
mid '90s is like starting in the victorian era
>>
>>3698560
Z by bitmap brothers
>>
File: 1448688997520.jpg (229KB, 1484x1038px) Image search: [Google]
1448688997520.jpg
229KB, 1484x1038px
>>3698642
>>3698592
>>3698337
OP here, so I bought Quake and that is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. basically played Quake for about an hour yesterday and I could see how it related to all the FPS's that came after, such as Half-Life and Doom, which were also influential..

basically stuff that laid the groundwork for things to come. anything else I should get in this regard before moving forward in the pc gaming timeline?
>>
play prisoner of ice and outlaws
>>
>>3699538
Ultima Underworld is the cornerstone in gaming history.
>>
>>3698560
>Greeks
>mid-90's
kek. Sounds like muhreeoh 64 would be more your thing.
>>
>>3699538

Doom came out before Quake
>>
>>3699683
then what came before doom?
>>
>>3699979
wolf 3d
>>
>>3698337
Myst
>>
Start with Advent/Colossal Cave Adventure

First ever text adventure game. Not really fun to play (I never even made it to the cave) but it's easy to find a free download and it's good to try it out. It certainly gives a perspective on how things started out.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.