[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has the cartridge wave crested?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10

File: 1222161559-01.jpg (180KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1222161559-01.jpg
180KB, 1280x960px
Today I found Super Famicom games on sale in a peddler's mall (indoor flea market). I would have never imagined in a hundred years to see these in a place like this. I suppose they were imported and intended for sale in a retro gaming store that has now went out of business.

Several copies of Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, and Dragon Quest VI were to be found.

In other parts of the store I saw an NES copy of 8 Eyes, a game I haven't seen on a shelf in a long time. Saw some other random bits and pieces of NES and SNES accessories in other places that had been hard to find the last few years.

What's going on? Are people people moving on?
>>
>>3693403
I would imagine eventually 3rd and 4th generation will be be in the same price tier as 2nd generation became.
>>
>>3693414
It feels like I've started to see less PlayStation (1) games. And better selections of PS3 and 360 games.
>>
>>3693414
And yeah, you can't even give away Atari games these days.
>>
>>3693403
Japanese RPG? No-one wants that shit unless it's in English
>>
>>3693403
>Super Famicom games
nobody wants those
>>
How were the prices? Were they actually cheap like most imports are, or did he want typical jewbay seller prices for them, even though there the japanese versions?
>>
>>3693434
Cheap. Highest game I saw was $15 which was Chrono Trigger.
>>
File: well.jpg (59KB, 573x490px) Image search: [Google]
well.jpg
59KB, 573x490px
>>3693438
>$15 is "cheap" in America
>>
>>3693448
$15 is at least an hour's wage if you have a real job - if not, you should sort out your life before spending money on outmoded children's toys.
>>
>>3693448
Yes, it is.
>>
>>3693448

i made a thread about buying Yoshi Island and DKC2 for 8 dollars each with free shipping, and burgers got mad calling me poorfag, when a copy of those games on ebay goes for 40 dollars. Like is normal for them being jewed the fuck out.
>>
>>3693448
For Chrono Trigger it is. You could barely beat that price on ebay but then you'd have to wait to get it in the mail.

Still, I didn't buy it because I don't have $15 to waste. A lot of people (like me) are very poor. $15 is a lot of money.
>>
>>3693454
This guy's right, I was making $15 being a lead at a retail store before I actually got a real job.
>>
>>3693463
I've actually come close to doing this with both games recently, along with Super Metroid. For some reason SM went from 7 dollars to 25 overnight. I should really get on it soon...
>>
>>3693480
The pettiest ebay trick ever is the Super Metroid swap.

>buy SFC Super Metroid
>remove PCB and place in SNES cart
>remove label
>print new label and apply
>sell on ebay with "the label was damaged so I replace it but the game works perfectly :)" for double your money
>>
>>3693417
cuz it's old news man
>>
>>3693454

how much does a shitty fast food or convenience store pay per hour?
>>
>>3693403
Obviously most people aren't going to buy SFC games because most people aren't even sure how to play them. Also JRPG's in a language you can't understand are completely unplayable.

You also mention that you wouldn't expect to find games there. Most other collectors probably wouldn't as well, so they probably don't see much interested traffic.

FWIW, the owner of my local retro game store told me N64 games are his best sellers, however he almost never keeps anything good on SNES/NES/PS1 in stock for long either.
>>
>>3693565
$8
>>
>>3693569
Is it even worth going into one of those stores or will I just feel insulted knowing how much I would pay on ebay instead?
>>
>>3693569
I almost never find Gamecube games. Huge stores and flea markets with not even a scrap sometimes.
>>
>>3693573
It's worth it for a laugh.
>>
File: 1367133864665.jpg (43KB, 300x176px) Image search: [Google]
1367133864665.jpg
43KB, 300x176px
>>3693516
>sell my Super Metroid US cart for $50
>buy CIB Super Metroid JP for $50
>>
File: pocket monsters.jpg (2MB, 2491x1637px) Image search: [Google]
pocket monsters.jpg
2MB, 2491x1637px
>>3693403
Cool, man.

I found all of the old Pocket Monsters games (except green, someone bought that before I got there) at a local used game shop last month. It's strange. I'm feeling nervous, too.

I think it might just be a fluke, but I am nervous. I do think NES/SNES games have better longevity than Atari games, since some of them actually have decent replay value. Younger kids can still find them enjoyable - my niece loves playing Kirby's Adventure and Mario 3 on my Famicom.
>>
File: pocket monsters back.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
pocket monsters back.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
>>3693586
BTW, those GB carts were $10 apiece.
>>
File: pocket monsters gbc.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
pocket monsters gbc.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>3693569
I know Pokemon like the back of my hand, at least. I can play it without even really knowing Japanese (only some kana.)
>>
>>3693572
$7.25 in Indiana.

And now our governor's gonna be vice president. The next few years are going to be interesting.
>>
>>3693573
Depends on the place really. There's a few by me (I live in a big city), one focuses mostly on newer stuff but they also buy retro as well, whenever they do they sell it well under ebay prices and it always goes fast. They don't have much in stock but every time I go in there I leave with a game for less than 10 bucks.

The guy I was talking about in my other post overprices nintendo shit like crazy. His N64 games are always 30-40% over ebay but he still manages to sell them. I've gotten some great deals on Playstation and Sega from him though. Some places are open to bargaining and will give you deals on multiple items.

I always think its worth going into those places because I like to support local businesses, especially when they cater to my esoteric interests. Also some things like controllers I always prefer to buy in person and not online.
>>
File: piggy2.gif (4MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
piggy2.gif
4MB, 640x480px
>there's a vectrex in a local game shop
>they want $300 for it
>>
>>3693592
Yeah when I was a kid I got the Japanese silver version for Christmas. I was already ready to play because I put in some time on poorly translated versions on emulators. I owned english copies of Gold, Silver, and Crystal after that. No fucking idea what happened to those but I believe my Japanese silver is still with my gameboy in a box at my stepdad's house. Had both Blue and Red before that of course but they disappeared at some point. I got lucky later on and found a copy of Red in a gas station bathroom, battery was good and everything. Again, no idea what happened to that.
>>
>>3693403
The only JP games that are actually worth anything are the Metroid series, certain Castlevania titles, and some of the more obscure niche games and limited-run shmups. Everything in that picture should be 100-200 yen apiece.
>>
>>3693798
Oh, and anything for the Mega Drive, because that flopped as hard in Japan as the Saturn did overseas.
>>
File: the_net_yaroze_system.gif[1].jpg (163KB, 389x260px) Image search: [Google]
the_net_yaroze_system.gif[1].jpg
163KB, 389x260px
>>3693798
>>3693569
It's not really about who will buy them or not. It's that at some point someone thought they would buy them and now they have come all the way from a store shelf in Japan to a flea market in hick, nowhere USA.

The collecting craze for this era of games rose and rose like a wave over the last 15 years, and I believe that wave has now reached its high mark and will not begin to recede. Prices still be good for a few years yet, but never the heights they once were. The next wave will be discs.

If you ever want to own a Net Yaroze or Debugger PlayStation I would buy them now because prices will be going up for the next decade.
>>
>>3693808
>will now begin to recede.
>>
>>3693809

Exactly shit is just getting worse hell even the Japanese market is exploding all of their second hand stores have been raided by ebay resellers, Even the SuperFamicom which is pretty much Madden tier in Japan will start to get pricy sooner or later.
>>
>>3693438
Usual price for JP Chrono Trigger is 300-600 JPY though. $15 is ripoff tier.

>>3693463
You still have to answer.
How did you get free SAL shipping?
Unless you buy from ebay sellers that include shipping price into price of their items already.
>buy them for japan for 8 dollars each
Seems like the case, because these games are not 800 JPY.
>>
>>3693635
My local store has a Vectrex with 2 games priced at $450.

Also, holy shit, I just looked up Vectrex systems on Pricecharting. What the hell happened to its value this year? It peaked at $475. That's insane.
>>
>>3693843
>Usual price for JP Chrono Trigger is 300-600 JPY
That's only if you're buying on Yahoo Auctions, aka Japanese eBay. Loose carts are 100-yen junk bin tier where I live. CIB is ~500.
>>
>>3693802
>anything for the Mega Drive
>anything
Battle Mania II, Panorama Cotton, Gleylancer, Alien Soldier, Castlevania and probably some other games are still expensive and are not getting cheaper. And these are only the games I follow and look for.
>>
>>3693850

COMIX ZONE NTSC-J is one pricy fucker.
>>
>>3693849
I didn't check that OP's picture is cartridge only.
In this case it's double rip-off.
>yahoo auctions
Well, there are some deals out there sometimes (especially with beat up consoles + common games lots), but I usually buy from specialized retro store through mail forwarder.
>>
>>3693850
That's what I meant, sorry if I was unclear. Every decent MD game aside from Sonic and Puyo Puyo is stupid expensive here.
>>
>>3693853
Ristar as well, right?
>>
>>3693843
>Usual price for JP Chrono Trigger is 300-600 JPY though

Yeah, if you're buying it online from yahoo auctions. And does that include shipping? $15 for buying a cart in person is not a rip-off.
>>
>>3693857
Yeah, I think Contra Hard Corps NTSC-J too.
>>
>>3693859
>And does that include shipping?
No, but at least shipping from Japan is cheap, as long as you do bulk orders.
But these $15 are literally reseller tax
>>
>>3693635
>>3693846

I thought the Vectrex had a high demand since it got shilled so much on youtube channels like CGR. I wouldn't get one but I can kind of understand why hipsters or collectors are interested.
>>
>>3693951
I bought one this year, mainly because I remembered when it came out as a kid and I was a poorfag that couldn't get it. Also got the rom cart that has all the games for it.

Kind of a waste, tho. Played it a dozen times or so, now it sits on my desk collecting dust.
>>
>>3693403
>has an assmad poorfag bandwagon collector come up with a new way to pitch about shit
No. It's the same shit.
>>
>>3693403
I think at least 3rd gen has been reaching its peak. I welcome it. Cheaper prices.

I don't care if my games are """worthless.""" I play them because I like them.
>>
>>3693865
I thought you were required to have a proxy service help you buy from YJA.
>>
>>3694318
but anon you can't be a bandwagon collector if you are a poorfag, since bandwagon or 'dank' collectors are the ones filling the resellers pockets with exorbitant amounts of cash.
>>
>>3694654
It's a common misconception among plebs that rich people just randomly flunk out a massive amount of cash for something just because they "want it now" or whatever.

If anything the rich guy acquires the same product for much cheaper than the pleb.
>>
>>3694660
again, plebs are the ones buying from resellers for the sake of convenience.
of course the rich person has ways around getting stuff for cheaper, doesn't mean that the others aren't fueling the resellers.
>>
It's a cycle

New - Fairly expensive
2 - 6 years old - Cheap as shit
7 - 10 - Even cheaper, unless rare
11 - 15 - Well known games go up in price, others don't
16 - 20 - Price skyrockets and peaks
21 - 25 - Price goes down a little, but not by much
26 - 30 - Price goes down even more as the games fade from memory
31 - 50 - Price fluctuates depending on how rare they are
50+ - Price goes back up as they are considered antique
>>
>>3693843
unless you live in Japan where you can walk to a Hard off, you are going to have to pay a little bit more online even with shipping or proxy services.
>>
>>3694673
then NES games should be dirt cheap right now according to your approximation
>>
>>3694673
>Source: My ass.
>>
>>3694681
NES games for the most part are. Most are below $10. Very very few are above $20.
>>
prices are definitely going down, it used to be to where super mario was like 50 bucks loose and now it's like 30, and futhermore i predict that in another 4 to 5 years time most cart based games will be in the bargian bin for pennies like them old atari crapola games, them retard reseller turds will go around begging people to buy their crap for like a 2 bucks a game, and they'll have to live in a carbord box and eat out of a dumpster and wipe their butt with a pine cone
>>
>>3694654
I find they're the ones hoarding thrift store sports finds to post in pickup threads instead of letting the turds be used to make repros like the developers originally intended.
>>
>>3694785
Keep telling yourself that kiddo.
>>
>>3695105
He's right. Emulation and flashcarts are superior. No reason to have the actual cart
>>
>>3694785
they'll just move onto discs, as some are already doing.
>>
>>3693448
That's not even two packs of cigarettes, poorfag
>>
>>3693565
>>3693572
Arby's pays $12+
>>
>>3695157
That's only because cigarettes are expensive as fuck in America.
>>
>>3695160
No, cigarettes are expensive as fuck in Australia
>>
>>3695142
You gave away your age and ignorance with the memeulation part but let's ignore that for now. I appreciate your only play memetendo games you saw on an LP but are you really that new that you haven't seen one that doesn't work on a flash cart? So many of your MEMEES meme games fall into that category.
And to the point I was replying to, just check the prices games have been going for. Prices have been going up for years. A couple angry poorbabies in denial don't change the facts.
>>
>>3695158
not for a cashier I presume.
>>
>>3695162
Cigs in the failippines have more than doubled in price the last few years. They used to be 7 pissos. Now they're 30+. That's like almost a buck. kek. Sucks to be you.
>>
>>3695195
It's like 60 cents. Probably shit quality tobacco though.

>>3695193
Cashiers make MORE because they handle money.
>>
>>3693417
Same, I haven't seen as much playstation lately.
>>
>>3693417
What are some good 7th gen games?
Are there any?
>>
>>3697207
Dragon's crown
>>
>>3695190
>You gave away your age and ignorance
>saw on an LP
>saw
>on an LP

OH THE IRONING!
>>
>>3697925
What you smoking kid?
>>
>>3693403
Is that an AK pistol grip?
>>
>>3693846
Rumors are flying around that some retail company was sitting on a huge stack of Vectrexes, unused and CiB, and that in order to clear up storage space they just chucked them into a trash compactor rather than sell them off online. Can you imagine a hundred or more perfectly good units gone in an instant? Prices are being raised up because people think there's an increase of rarity because of that rumor.

>>3693951
CGR is the only youtube channel that shills it, and even then he's only doing it as a big meme thing.
>>
>>3698295
>some babies believe a rumor so are willing to overpay
Breaking News: Some people are retarded
>>
>>3697207
ignoring the DS and PSP there are good games on the home consoles, but IMO I'm still happily buying up 6th gen games. Plus you can hack Wii easily and PS3/360 I believe are also hackable, so there's not a huge reason to get the real deal.

>>3698295
that's a scary thought, losing 100 vectrex like that.
>>
I think NES games are already falling in price as people grow older. SNES is still high I think (I don't follow those prices) but they'll fall inevitably too. N64 should be at a peak soon, I can't wait for Gamecube to hit the peak '30 somethings buy back their childhood' point so I can sell all my games that I already backed up to HDD.
>>
File: calling bullshit.jpg (26KB, 262x303px) Image search: [Google]
calling bullshit.jpg
26KB, 262x303px
>>3694726
I go down to places like Edward McKay's and I can find tons of NES games above $20. Heading over to an indoor Flea Market I tend to find the same.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.