[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Password Feature!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: unamused-michael-scott.gif (499KB, 500x246px) Image search: [Google]
unamused-michael-scott.gif
499KB, 500x246px
> Password Feature!
>>
Games having passwords was once a novelty.

The more you know.
>>
File: Faxanadu.png (8KB, 253x232px) Image search: [Google]
Faxanadu.png
8KB, 253x232px
>the game has 0's and O's in the password
>>
>take picture of password with cell phone
>of an emulated game
the ancient code of autism prohibits the use of save states
>>
>>3692931
Passwords are pretty cool when you can unlock secret stuff with them.
>>
>Spend over an hour on a game.
>Accidentally hit button before password taken down fully.
>Game goes back to start menu.
>>
>>3692957
>not just taking a screenshot
>>
Passwords are useful, the other day I was playing MMX3 and realized I had locked myself out of the gold armor by picking an upgrade I shouldn't have. Instead of starting all over again, I just went through my old passwords. How convenient is that, huh?
>>
why was this allowed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_owDUBxm7w
>>
>>3693094
lol, the people who created that should be put in prison.
>>
Nigga what's wrong with passwords?

Having a battery save was really expensive back in the day and a lot of smaller companies couldn't afford it. Would you rather not have any save system at all?

If they're 40 characters long and/or have some retarded input method, that's a problem. But most companies were smart enough to avoid it.
>>
File: iss-password.jpg (20KB, 320x157px) Image search: [Google]
iss-password.jpg
20KB, 320x157px
>>
>>3693116
I don't think anyone here claimed they were a mistake, just that they could be annoying.
>>
>>3693043
I'm not alt-tabbing like a dicksucking faggot
>>
>>3692939
I recorded my Faxanadu passwords on a VCR to make sure I couldn't possibly write it down wrong and yet it still wouldn't take my password at one point and I never played it again after that
>>
>>3692931
Fucking awesome! Anyone with the slightest ability to analyze data and spot pasterns could use them to load up with pretty much anything. Many games had hard coded passwords that did specific things. Good times.
Of course nowadays entering a password in a game you've emulated on a hand me down laptop in your moms basement justifies PTSD therapy with crayons in a ball pit.
>>
>>3693253
>Anyone with the slightest ability to analyze data and spot pasterns could use them to load up with pretty much anything.

You're a shithead.
>>
>>3693261
Pretty sure someone who can't do that is the shithead, shithead.
>>
>>3693094
I was just thinking of that.
>>
>>3693304
Ok Mr. Algebra, what nice passwords can you share that has't been released yet?
>>
I actually like passwords because you don't have to worry about a dead battery clearing your save.
>>
Cannon fodder on the Snes would give deliberately incorrect passwords after mission 26. Bastards
>>
>>3696674
The NES Gauntlet manual explicitly states that if you collect too many gold chests, your password will stop working. Kek. I mean, at least they warned you, but I assume it's because of lazy coding, and they gave up and said "fuck it, just tell them not to do that."
>>
>>3696762
You mean you think it was a bug they couldn't be arsed to fix?
>>
>>3696229
HAHAHAHA MR ALGEBRA HOLY FUCK HAHAHAHA
NIGGA YOURE TALKING LIKE ALGEBRA IS TOUGH SHIT LIKE NIGGA ITS HIGHSCHOOL SHIT
>>
>>3696882
Yeah. Maybe something like they didn't have enough bits of information in the password format to store amounts of gold higher than 2048, but instead of changing their encoding or having a longer password they just said "eh, it's unlikely to be problem, put a warning in the manual I guess."
>>
>>3696915
Were the passwords already really long?
>>
File: dragnslair.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dragnslair.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>
>>3696897
Sorry, but acting like a smug superior faggot only works in FGC threads
>>
>>3696229
>implying i didn't do this and release them years before you were born.
Learn to algebra and make your own faggot.
>>
>>3693253
I noticed very obvious patterns in Zombies. Four characters - the middle two were for the level and the outer two your status.

The first password was VHRV, PHRP or some variation.

But with games like the Chaos Engine it's almost on par with decoding an MD5 hash or something. The information is totally smeared about.
>>
>>3697235
Sounds pretty autistic
>>
>>3692931
SRAM was expensive, what do you expect?
>>
>>3696927
no, they were nine characters, XXX-XXX-XXX format
>>
>>3693185
Windows + Print Screen will auto save your screen capture in your pictures folder.
>>
File: 1440629513818.png (38KB, 479x477px) Image search: [Google]
1440629513818.png
38KB, 479x477px
sure hope you wrote it down correctly
>>
>>3692931
>/v/-style threads on /vr/
>>
>>3697485
Not everyone uses windows 10.
>>
File: HalfLifeDreamcast_CodeScreen.png (347KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
HalfLifeDreamcast_CodeScreen.png
347KB, 640x480px
Half-Life for Dreamcast had the best password system. It's much easier to remember and enter passphrases, similar to the way shortened URL links work now instead of just garbage letters and numbers.
>>
File: shona tears.png (80KB, 270x358px) Image search: [Google]
shona tears.png
80KB, 270x358px
>>3692957
>playing 8 Eyes on a CRT
>use high-speed digital camera to take picture of password screen
>end up losing the password because lol scanlines
>>
>>3697607
>>end up losing the password because lol scanlines
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>3697612
It meant it understands how CRTs work. Read up or just watch an old video of a CRT to see for yourself.
>>
>>3697574
This is cool
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.