[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post your favorite underrated RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 10

File: Legend_of_Legaia_Capa.png (123KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Legend_of_Legaia_Capa.png
123KB, 256x256px
Post your favorite underrated RPG
>>
File: 694.gif (25KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
694.gif
25KB, 100x100px
>underrated
>>
>>3692896
I remember this game being pretty hard (and fun), never beated it, I got stuck in a dungeon that you need to split your party in two, I saved the game in a point of no return, my characters were too weak to beat the boss and my stock of items was too low to grind.

I need to pick it up again someday.
>>
File: Mystic Quest.png (11KB, 261x223px) Image search: [Google]
Mystic Quest.png
11KB, 261x223px
No one hates it, but no one seems to really like it very much either. To me, it's one of those games that epitomizes comfiness.
>>
File: 55-k3ctzhqr.xc3.png (3MB, 1633x1150px) Image search: [Google]
55-k3ctzhqr.xc3.png
3MB, 1633x1150px
Everybody shits on it because it was poorly editted so the whole "translation sucks" meme follows it around everywhere, but it really was the pinnacle of the franchise.
>>
>>3692908
You are mistaking Legend of Legaia with Legend of Dragoon, anon.
>>
File: 2353252423523.jpg (176KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
2353252423523.jpg
176KB, 640x448px
>>3692926
>it really was the pinnacle of the franchise

You're good people, anon.
>>
>>3692928
I'm not but the fact that you disagree with me means that I have grotesquely underestimated the lack of popularity of this game.
Go figure
>>
>>3692920
A lot of people probably find the concept kind of insulting. Final Fantasy Easy Version for dumb Americans, etc.

I always enjoyed it. It's simple fun. The music is surprisingly great.
>>
>>3692920
It's one of my favorites. But I'll admit that it's almost entirely because of nostalgia. It's simple, the dungeons are short and easy, the overworld map is awful, the story is generic, and combat is easy, boring, and repetitive.

But somehow it's still fun. It's an RPG that you can play without thinking, and I have a weak spot for visible enemy encounters (fuck random battles.)
>>
>>3692962
Pretty good description. It's a very stripped-down version of Final Fantasy, which is the whole idea of course.
>>
>>3692920
Still hate this game for following a script.

Spent several hours grinding the money to buy the bombs to tell Tristram to fuck off and get the Dragon Claw for myself.

But no. Asshole didn't even want to mention the 6 million in his pocket. Just said, "shucks, I don't get that much in allowance! I'll never be able to afford it!".

Bullshit game. Bullshit script. I had the money, I want my bombs!
>>
>>3692961
If you enjoyed it you'd probably like Wild Arms
>>
>>3692896
>>3692908
>>3692928
>>3692958
Actually a cursory glance reveals it to be pretty fairly rated.

If anything it's probably a solid 7 and no higher or lower, making it a bit overrated since it's kind of a long and boring RPG with a lot of random battles and long animations.
>>
>>3692926
Wild Arms 2 doesn't really do anything that's better than Wild Arms.

Like even in an intact state the game really can't seem to figure out it's own holistic identity. It's also the start of the games all being a parade of characters, each having their episode of the week shit with anime writing and perfectly balanced amounts of content for each of them.

Wild Arms did a good job of making the characters be people who live in a story, it's almost like a book, or maybe a light novel.

Every Wild Arms game after seems more like the story was made as an afterthought to the characters and set pieces.

>Oh man, I just came up with all these cool scenarios like we're gonna have a witch and an assassin and a kamen rider guy and a war veteran and these funny alien lizards and theres gonna be trains and nuclear weapons are dragon cyborgs and this guy has a key that can mess with dimensions and stuff woah!
>Did you figure out what order any of these things go in or what they have to do with each other or why they're all in the same world?
>Naw man lets just cram everything from every anime in there.

Except 4. People can hate on 4 all they want but it's attitudes about war and ability to not be ridiculous about nuclear weapons makes me take it a lot more seriously than 2. The search system is garbo too I'm glad the world map is gone.

1>4>2>3>5>ACF>XF

I don't want to talk about 5 that much, but I will say that I really wish they had HIRED a professional writer instead of commissioning one.
>>
>>3693514
I havent played any Wild Arms past 3, but when i owned the first 2 on playstation i loved them, i dont remember any of my friends ever playing them. Got a feeling its just going to end up as another forgotten franchise like Breath of Fire and the Legaia games.
>>
File: Screenshot_5.jpg (135KB, 781x683px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_5.jpg
135KB, 781x683px
The most popular underrated RPG out there, Metal Max Returns. because Metal Saga is probably not retro enough It's a jRPG with tanks in an open world, what's not to love about it? It's too bad that the series is pretty much dead.
>>
>>3692961
Fucking badass metal guitar music, literally almost makes the whole game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOQ8sLO-vU
>>
>>3693530
I hate tanks.
>>
File: Nox01.jpg (36KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Nox01.jpg
36KB, 1024x768px
>>3692896
>>
>>3694770
I thought you were gonna post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQDYQezo2hQ

then I realized it was that other dumb game I found all the secrets in
>>
File: 1291582806602.png (20KB, 297x300px) Image search: [Google]
1291582806602.png
20KB, 297x300px
>>3693530
>It's too bad that the series is pretty much dead.
>MM4 came out three years ago
>dead
>>
File: dq3sfc_jpn_front.jpg (2MB, 1500x2721px) Image search: [Google]
dq3sfc_jpn_front.jpg
2MB, 1500x2721px
I feel like this question doesn't deserve its own thread so I'm going to ask it here.

What are some of your favorite RPGs with good class/reclass options and party customization? Stuff like Final Fantasy V, Dragon Quest III & IX and the like.

Also Dragon Quest III is totally underrated. Play the fan translation of the SNES version.
>>
>>3694993
I really liked FFT and ff5 on how classes worked. I wish there were more games that kept job and character levels separate like that to a degree, with the ability to carry stats and/or skills over to different jobs.

Also DQ6 is criminally underrated; I never see others talk about it despite how solid it was.
>>
File: LSSSC.jpg (25KB, 340x294px) Image search: [Google]
LSSSC.jpg
25KB, 340x294px
>>3692896
Favorite underrated would have to be Radiata. But as far as Retro ones go, its definitely this.
>>
>>3695029
I really loved the PSX Lunar SSSC. They went all out on the game and made it look marvellous.

Another underrated but fun strategy RPG was Brigandine for the PSX. Unlucky that the US never saw the sequel/expansion of sorts that was released. Game was very fun and not easy by any means, because permadeath units can fuck you over big time
>>
>>3694993
The FFIII remake has good job balance and lets you level different jobs and hot swap them while you play, but doesn't let you map second abilities like III or Tactics do.

The DQIII SFC remake is probably my favorite DQ. It feels very ambitious in what it tries to do for the time it was released, and it really just fun.
>>
>>3692896
Loved this game. Honestly Court did nothing wrong, those fuckers invaded the seru dimension and enslaved the seru/Raseru like ornaments and got what they deserved with the mist.

>>3692920
It gets plenty of hate. It was my first JRPG (not counting Pokemon). Simple gameplay and story isnt much but i enjoyed it, very comfy as you say.

>>3693447
autism but you are my hero, I do the same in other games.

>>3693530
Holy fuck someone has played Metal Saga? I love that game, put many hundreds of hours trying to get all events and those medallions (not possible) and eventually fighting Scarlet. Some of the outlaws would never spawn for some unholy reason, the madbombers in the deserters, that catsub.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.