[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is using save states bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 13

File: 1481529679784.jpg (84KB, 460x664px) Image search: [Google]
1481529679784.jpg
84KB, 460x664px
Why is using save states bad?
>>
>>3691932
because it is cheating
>>
>emulating

>/v/
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 259x194px
>>3691938
why is cheating bad
>>
>>3691932
Save states are fine. Save anywhere, turn emulator off, go do productive shit, come back, load the save.

The problem is using them for save scumming, it makes any hard game trivially easy to beat.
>>
Because in most cases it obstructs the pacing the developers intended for the game. Most early save-less games were designed to be mastered over several playthroughs until you're good enough to beat it in a single run. Savestates allow you to completely bypass the phase of learning the game by just resetting the save when you die. Lives become meaningless, so scores/collectibles in most retro games become meaningless.

However, I think it's ok to use save states with some games as long as you resume from the save only once. An example of this is Virtual Console games on 3DS, when you close the system they save your place, and when you open it up you can pick up from where you left off. It's useful for a mobile device and I haven't found it to really hurt the pacing as long as the feature isn't abused.
>>
Am I failure if I use the level select code when in I die in Sonic 1? Fuck going through the whole game again because I didn't have enough points or whatever for a continue.
>>
>>3691947
>the developers intended

Oh fuck off.
>>
>>3691950
No, Sonic 1 is just a horribly unpolished game. The iOS/Android remakes are much better.
>>
>>3691932
It's not. How you use it and what you discuss of it are.
If you savestated your way through a game because you kept dieing you didn't beat the game. You bruteforced it. It's perfectly fine to use them as saves or to practice specific parts and then do a non-savescum run and say you beat the game. Nothing wrong with savescumming through a game either so long as you're honest that's what you did. But if you're discussing it with someone as if you beat it you're lying to them.
>>
File: perverse image and idea.jpg (193KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
perverse image and idea.jpg
193KB, 1280x960px
>>3691932
>save states
>>
>>3691932
Worst Idol
>>
>>3691974
That's not Pana
>>
>>3691983
Yeah she isn't, Honk is worst
>>
>>3691932
Because it enables some casual faggot to just abuse save states and then claim they beat Battletoads.
>>
File: IMG_3523.jpg (18KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3523.jpg
18KB, 200x200px
Emulation and save states are for beta men.
>>
>>3692109
>manhood on a board dedicated to childrens games

Was that sarcasm? Cause it's hard to tell idiots apart
>>
>>3691932
Because you didn't live out some autist's childhood from the 80s who thinks everyone else was a no life loser like her who spent their entire social life mastering some gay ass game no one gives a fuck about.
>>
File: Mr. Trump.jpg (212KB, 1600x1603px) Image search: [Google]
Mr. Trump.jpg
212KB, 1600x1603px
I play games only for 1 live clear, or 1 credit clear.
>>
File: 1429840223523.jpg (20KB, 300x261px) Image search: [Google]
1429840223523.jpg
20KB, 300x261px
>>3692109
>>
Might as well cheat right off the bat then, cuckster.
>>
>>3692109
>men
Shut your mouth you oppressive shitlord.
>>
>>3691951
This.
When I was a kid and hooked up a chain saw motor to my bike for fun, I didn't give a shit that it was "intended" to cut down trees.
>>
>>3692159
One of the worst analogies I've ever heard, it doesn't even make a little bit of sense.
>>
>>3691932
it is not bad, it is completely subjective in how one should play the game. Just enjoy it your time. However save states can trivialize the challenge in games by reloading until you get a favorable position to win. I abuse save states win it comes to rare drops, I COULD simply use cheats but I choose not to, it truly is that simple. So do as you please OP,

>>3692140
>slippery slope fallacy
>>
>>3692212
>fallacy
Eh? No. It's not, since save-stating is cheating. There's no way around that.
If that's what you like to do then by all means do it.
>>
>>3691932
Makes you lazy more than anything.

Instead of learning the games nuances you just get infinite tries.

It also lets you do absolutely insane shit like just straight up save stating every time you hit a boss and going back if you get hit or die.

It's not fun to play like that -for me-.

It may be fun for you, and do whatever is fun, but I get no satisfaction out of beating a game with cheats, or even exploits for the most part.
>>
>>3692215
You are just making a declarative statement of opinion as fact now, you cannot even create an argument to back up your claim to even attempt to change my view. It is all subjective, how one should play or operate. There is no correct way, just enjoy your life, policing everyone elses will lead you to insanity.
>>
>>3691950
>he can't speed thru sonic 1
>>
>>3692131
WEW LAD
SOMEONE SUCKS AT GAMES
>>
>>3692219
Are you insane? Why are you even on this website then, no scratch that, why are you even discussing video games at all? It's all subjective, it's all opinions, and you happen to not like mine.
>>
Nothing but faggjts here. I hate you all. Save states are fine. If you wanna use them then use them, if not, then don't. Very fucking easy.
>>
>>3692224
Why am I insane? I like classic video games, I do not go on to change other views or argue. Is that so difficult to understand? I like conversation with like minded individuals, rather than forcing my own perception into others, so they can instill my own belief systems. What point is there if everyone is a yes man to my whim?

I simply called you out on your slippery slope fallacy >if you do this THEN this will happen eventually

Think of it as constructive criticism if, even if we disagree. and again you are using the slope to invalidate me I guess, saying I should not be here? I am here because I choose to be, it is THAT simple honestly. Sure I could follow my instinct and purge those who hold different opinions but I learned very quickly such a life will lead to my own demise faster.mostly because no other sites talk about older games
>>
>>3692140
>cuckster
Take your underage memes back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>3692231
Why would I even begin to try arguing this with you? You very obviously decided to disregard my view of this subject right off the bat, even if I constructed an argument you would not give me the time of day.
I also didn't say that you shouldn't be here, I questioned why you even are here since you seem to dislike subjectivity. I figure this site would drive you crazy pretty fast.
I'm not trying to start a fight here so I'm done now. Have a good day anon.
>>
quick save/quick load features are blight that ruined game design in early '00

>go into the room
>get killed by bullshit hitscan enemies
>reload
>try again

states are something to help you use the emulator, not to help you win games
>>
>>3691932
It isn't. Last I checked there were 10, maybe 11 or 15 commandments. Nothing about save states.

>>3691941
>too new to remember save states on original hardware
I'm not sure which level of hell that ignorance lands you in but I hope it's lower than what savestatefags get.
>>
>>3692236
Believe it or not, not all people give their opinions with provocative language on here.
>>
>>3692236
Incorrect, if you do have an argument other than that I presume was your slippery slope than go ahead, of course I do not plan to converse on who is in the right, that is ridiculous for me. I like all the nuances that change our views that shape who we are, it is important for my learning and understanding. But most often not just here but everywhere I see memes being parroted as an attempt to argument a stance, a way to dismiss the others. I know it is very hilarious but sometimes if you are not just baiting, and do care to win the other side over or prove your opinion then giving some nominal effort is required than the hottest meme.

to reiterate, I do not dislike subjectivity. But for me personally I see no reason to go post for post for hours to rationalize who is truly in the right. I discovered people will do what they choose, even if that choice was subconsciously manipulated by an other's belief system. It is entertaining, not me arguing but to see how others tick. Perhaps I am already insane, that would be a valid assessment.

Again I like when people discuss the games I enjoy, however I do not go into a thread I dislike just to shit on people, if that makes sense considering the medium that is 4chan.

So for again OP or anyone wondering, it is not bad, just play the game. If you want a challenge then of course refrain from save states, if you look to progress without much effort or if a certain boss is giving you issue than a save state (or multiple states) create the path to overcoming it effortlessly. Heck play one game with states and the next with none, or all games with none or all with states.
>>
File: (You).jpg (52KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
52KB, 500x375px
>>3692246
>It is entertaining, not me arguing but to see how others tick.
>Perhaps I am already insane, that would be a valid assessment.
>>
File: Perhaps I am already insane.jpg (109KB, 680x791px) Image search: [Google]
Perhaps I am already insane.jpg
109KB, 680x791px
>>3692246
>the medium that is 4chan
>>
>>3692252
>>3692260

That is hilarious, my journey to becoming a meme-master is almost complete. Once I channel the fedora I can truly become...
>>
>>3692246
Wew, the pseudo-intellectualism is strong with this one.
>>
>>3692246
kek i put this on reddit and got tons of upvotes dude this is cringy just kys
>>
>>3692218
Sometimes it's annoying, and I don't want to spend 100 hoursbeating the first stage of a boss. For example, it takes 2 minutes to skip the dialogue of the final Mega Man X boss before beating his first 2 stages and getting a crack at the final boss. I'd rather save state before the cutscene because it's annoying. You can call me whatever, that's how I feel about it sometimes. It's ok if it's not a nuisance.
>>
>>3692274
False flagging to save face just makes your post even cringer.
>>
>>3692246
>>3692252
>>3692260
>>3692267
>>3692272
>>3692274
>>3692278

all this falseflagging and samefagging
where are the mods?
>>
>>3691932
It turns you into a casual

t. a casual that used save states
>>
>>3692246
In hindsight posting honestly was a mistake.

>>3692252
>>3692260
>>3692278
I do own a trilby, a katana and even have a guyfawkes mask they are quite cool artifacts t collect ironically. Sorry I do not adhere to your unspoken rules anon.
>>
man, this great thread started with a smug anime girl op will surely result in much fruitful discussion on using savestates in games.
>>
>>3692310
Look at this outlier. Truly enlightened.
>>
File: 1479936132725.png (939KB, 969x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1479936132725.png
939KB, 969x1500px
>>3691932
Fuck no, its a god send when it comes to jrpgs. I don't think I could have finished half of them without it.
>>
>>3692316
Not enlightened, my journey is not over friend..
>>
>>3692330
Yeah I'm sure you're not done shitposting on /lit/.
>>
>>3692332
I never been at /lit/ my main sub is >>>/vip/. I like supporting this site.
>>
>>3692327
JRPGs are the easiest genre of video games besides visual novels. You're an embarrassment.
>>
>>3692119

>on an 18+ website

Using save states is fine but I don't really get the point. You might as well not even play the fucking game. Just watch a let's play and call it a day.
>>
>>3691932
It's not bad, just cheating. Not only cheating, but the most potent cheating that could ever exist. It allows any player of any skill level to have 'impossibly perfect' playthroughs of the most difficult games that ever existed. And for many, it's the only way they can complete some games at all.

Save states have completely killed the fun brag-talk thay used to exist when the games were overcome. I remember when people would go "... Anon, I just beat -HARD GAME- last night for the first time!". We would discuss for hours and it would be a blast. Now it's qualified with "on an emulator" or similar, which compelerely removes all of that excitement since it was probably scummed.
>>
>>3692327
What kind of failure would use save states for JRPGS? Jesus Christ, I always knew 4chan was bad at vidya but I didn't know half of it, apparently.
>>
Save states are fine depending on how they're used.

If you're doing a specific thing, like a challenge run, or you're having a hard time with a certain part and want to practice it, I think it's totally fine.

I also find it acceptable to games that had no save points or few and far between save points and you're using it more to save your progress rather than to exploit I think its ok, since even now I find long gaming sessions harder and harder to go through uninterupted.

If you're using it to cheese a boss or something it's lame. Get better, or do what this guy says. >>3692361
>>
>>3691932
dik my wife's son uses them all the time
>>
File: 1465350812336.png (476KB, 574x413px) Image search: [Google]
1465350812336.png
476KB, 574x413px
>>3692359
>>3692371
Yeah, because gameplay is generally so much fun in jrpgs huh?
Nah fuck that, I'm not autistic enough to trial end error every random shit Jap devs decided to shove into their games up to PSX titles.
>>
>>3692810

Woah now this is pure plebian.
>>
>>3692810
Don't abuse a Nintendo character for your own idiot pronouncements dickhead.

The only really wrong thing is a person save stating and then thinking they can go talk shit (good or bad) about the game as if they had experienced it.
>>
>>3692813
>>3692825
>Don't abuse a Nintendo character for your own idiot pronouncements dickhead.
Wew didn't realize how autistic some people here really are.
Thanks but I think I'll keep save stating through your favorite games and shit talk about them here when I can.
>>
>>3691932
Because you are playing a far more boring version of a game if you savescum using save states. If you don't agree, go ahead and savestate all over anything you want, but I'm calling you out for having shit taste in videogames.
>>
>>3691932
nothing but it makes you a huge casual
>>
>>3692810
You're the kind of dumbass that would rush to the first dungeon in Final Fantasy, immediately run straight ahead and get destroyed by Garland. Except you'd savestate a billion times to win because "m-muh trial and error."
>>
>>3692838
Welcome to your first day on neo /v/ newfag. Warning: Some anons are really autistic.
>>
you wouldn't savestate irl
>>
>>3693398
>implying
I might actually have had a girlfriend if savestates existed in real life.
>>
>>3693398
Oh would I. That would make life better. I don't save state in games cause they're fun. Life just sucks.
>>
dumb animeposter. Kill yourself
>>
better tell me why continuing in short, arcade-like games is so widely accepted? they were intended to be played for score.
>>
File: Boxart.jpg (54KB, 499x388px) Image search: [Google]
Boxart.jpg
54KB, 499x388px
>>3691932
Just look at how shitty are games with built-in save states.
>>
>>3691932
If you just want to zip through a game without any effort and you really don't care about the experience itself then it's cool.
>>
>>3691932 (OP)
it depends on how they're used. the honorable thing to do is use them in place of checkpoints/savepoints/passwords. inserting checkpoints into a game when you feel there aren't enough, practicing a particular section, and/or avoiding tedium, are also okay.

savestates are controversial because they get abused. casuals like to savescum and brute force their way through difficulty, which is essentially cheating. when they claim they weren't cheating, this leads to disdain.
>>
I use it in place of passwords. That way, I'm not interfering with the whole skill thing and just using a simpler method than writing down an arbitrary combination of characters
>>
File: 1471572468764.jpg (37KB, 934x697px) Image search: [Google]
1471572468764.jpg
37KB, 934x697px
>>3693603
>>
>>3692223
Keep trying to makeup for your lack of a life you pathetic worm.
>>
>>3693750
but he's right, if you don't suck, most games aren't that hard to beat, half an hour a day will do for the vast majority of console games.
>>
is fine, sage
>>
>>3691932
It isn't, it's your fun, you can have it homever you want.

Just don't go around complaining about the difficulty or lenght of the games afterwards ya loser.
>>
I beat the SNES Addams Family game my saving every time I made a jump or hit an enemy.
>>
>>3691932
Because 9999 times out of 10000 they aren't used as just a means to come back to the game later, but as a means to completely bypass any hint of difficulty.
>>
>>3692131
Obviously you care enough if you're playing it to begin with, kid.
>>
>>3692159
The MOTOR was intended to move force. What it was attached to prior is of no consequence.
>>
>>3692810
>Yeah, because gameplay is generally so much fun in jrpgs huh?
if you dont like them why play them? you're the retard here for playing something you dont enjoy and then abusing savestates just to say you did it
>>
>>3691947
Jumping in here, but

Old games were designed for children who have nothing better to do but sit in the living room and obsess over a trivial game while their parents figure out how to save the house from foreclosure. Modern gamers have to worry about adult shit and enjoy their games too, so that means not being able to sit for longer than an hour to relax with something. Save states are a blessing in that regard.
>>
>>3691945
/thread
>>
>>3691947
>Most early save-less games were designed to be mastered over several playthroughs until you're good enough to beat it in a single run.

Because the game would be too short otherwise. This isn't a problem playing classic games in 2016. Emulation is free so you always get your money's worth. And short is good because it's more free time you get to play another game instead of repeating the same content over and over.

That said having on demand check points and loading a state every time you die is faggotry. But if someone wants to play a classic game and save on every new level, to bring it down to modern difficulty standards that aren't designed to stretch content, what's the problem?

>Lives become meaningless, so scores/collectibles in most retro games become meaningless.

I'd agree with this on a case by case basis. A lot of games have a non-nonsensical retry system.
>>
>>3692825
>Don't abuse a Nintendo character

Are we on gamefaqs or 4chan?
>>
File: Jounetsu_Nekketsu_Atheletes.jpg (49KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Jounetsu_Nekketsu_Atheletes.jpg
49KB, 640x640px
>>3692226
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.