[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro tetris game thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: New Tetris, The.png (123KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
New Tetris, The.png
123KB, 320x240px
What are your favourite versions of tetris?
I've never played the game much, so I'd like to ask which is a game that is easy for begginers, but adds some challenges for when you've improved slightly.
I've been playing pic related as the music is chill.
>>
Obligatory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Y_bzeLpkg
>>
>not playing it how the developer intended
>>
>>3691118
did you watch >>3691084
>>
>>3691075
I like the Arika Grandmaster line of Tetris, because they feel so good to play, as the noises do help in identifying pieces, but may be annoying to others.

The classic one on the NES (Nintendo made, not Tengen), because it does not have the concept of "the bag" and can really fuck with players. I guess the Gameboy one is the equivalent, but I do like the colors on the NES one more.

Sega's Puyo Puyo Tetris is pretty wild, and very fun, but weaker on the Tetris side, but quite a hoot mixing both together.

The Spectrum-Holobyte Super Tetris on DOS I liked for the bombing aspect.

Tetrisphere is pretty interesting on the N64, cheap too!
>>
File: tetris_art.0_cinema_1920.0.jpg (346KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tetris_art.0_cinema_1920.0.jpg
346KB, 1920x1080px
>>3691075
You posted it.

New Tetris has (besides the reserve piece) the only mechanic ever added to vanilla Tetris that actually was fun; perfect squares made of 4 pieces. It fits Tetris very well because it is very mathematical in nature in the sense that their are a lot of tetramino combinations that make a square. It gives tension between scoring tetrises and scoring even more valuable tetrises using the squares. The only flaw was that perfect squares were too high scoring, so even if you were a beast at normal Tetris, an average player could school you in New Tetris.

Tangentially related, as a lad I used to think that the GB Tetris (prolly my favorite version) would give you pieces that you could always use. As I got older, I wised up and realize this is patently not true, and in fact a perfect RNG would screw you eventually with an unwinnable combination of Ss and Zs. Instead, I thought the game would give you pieces that you "struggled" with to place, as in flipping the piece and moving it around a lot would tip the game off to give you another piece of the same type. Hence I would spin the fuck out of my Is. Finally, I decided to verify my claim, and disassembled the next-block function on the GB. Turns out it uses a hardware register for entropy, and that the only extra coding tries to limit repeated pieces with a reroll of the RNG.

Tetris, for me, is the poster child of video gaming. It's an experience that only video games can conjure. For a long time I thought it was the best puzzle game ever. Then I started playing Tetris Attack. I have great love for both games, but try TA if you haven't, and you may be pleasantly surprised, even if it is only related to Tetris by name.
>>
>>3691176
This is what true autism looks like. There is simply no other way.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.