[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying a NEO GEO?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: neo geo.jpg (214KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
neo geo.jpg
214KB, 1600x1200px
Thoughts on the Omega Console? Is this my best option if I want to play both home carts & arcade carts on at home in RGB? Also, what's the word on Flash Carts for the system? are we ever getting one?
>>
>>3690964
We have a flashcart, neosdstore.com

Be prepared to spend over $400 for it though
>>
>>3690968

How's the compatibility?
>>
>>3690964
Or you could emulate every game on your cellphone in minutes for free.
>>
>>3691005

I want to play original hardware on a CRT.
>>
>>3691015
You better have some friends, the Neo Geo library is all about subpar fighting games.
>>
>>3691021
Neo Geo is for Metal Slugs and Shock Troopers
>>
>>3691025

And Wind Jammers. Don't forget wind Jammers.
>>
>>3690964
You can't be happy with a normal retro console?
>>
>>3691025
Shock Troopers was ported to a bunch of systems as SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1. The sequel, 2nd squad is shit, don't play it.
>>
>>3691030

Home carts are insanely priced, like $3000 for one copy of metal slug 3 priced. A Modded console that lets you play arcade carts lets you buy the same game for 8% of the cost & you still have a physical copy of the game.
>>
Learn basic soldering, make your own supergun. A basic RGB Supergun will cost you $50 tops assuming you have a stick or controller that can be wired to it. From there an MVS board will cost you anywhere from $60-100 on ebay depending on which board you decide you want.
>>
>>3690964
>both home carts & arcade
isn't the Omega just a CMVS in a fancy case
so, you're playing arcade carts, and that's it (which is fine, home carts are retarded expensive)

You could find a pre-built CMVS unit cheaper than this, but it's not too much cheaper unless you do it yourself, and it wouldn't look as nice if that matters to you.
Arcade MVS boards aren't too expensive, you can get one sub-$200, but you'd need a supergun (dealing with the fact that MVS is slightly out of JAMMA spec) or to convert it/get it converted for console-style use.
You're paying for style and convenience here.

I dunno if it's quite worth it, although a buddy of mine has a CMVS setup, and it revealed a few noticeable flaws in emulation (one of the biggest ones is how Terry's train in Garou MOTW has never shown up at the right speed in MAME, and in some MAME versions it jerks around really distractingly). Seeing the output on a nice CRT was really good too.

Really, I probably wouldn't bother with this myself, but I'm a cheap-ass.
The big thing against it is the fact that the Neo is really widely known for vs fighters, and my buddy didn't really get to pull his Neo out too often because of the fact that he didn't want his friends damaging his expensive shit.
Fighters make up more than 60% of the library.
>>
>>3691052

It doesn't do home carts? I mean I wasn't planning on buying any due to the price, but that's a letdown. Aren't arcade & home carts 1-1 copies of each other? They're the same right?
>>
>>3691025
The former which is available on Wii VC.
>>
>>3691092
Same data completely different method of delivering the data. You can certainly get a converter but that'll cost you a couple hundo.
>>
>>3691109
Metal Slug is available on everything.
>>
>>3691092
the data on them is the same, so it really doesn't matter
the Omega has a unibios installed too, so you can boot games that didn't get a home release in home mode

>>3691109
yeah
and you get proper 240p output

>>3691113
Is there a home->arcade converter? I thought no one bothered because arcade carts were so much cheaper that you could just buy the arcade version instead.
I know there's an arcade->home one specifically so you could use cheaper, more common arcade carts.
>>
>>3691145
>you can boot games that didn't get a home release in home mode

So did they just include a home mode in all games on the off chance there would be a home release? That's pretty interesting if true.
>>
>>3690964

Just buy a damn chink MVS 1 slot and 999999 in 1 and be done with it OP.
>>
>>3690968
>neosdstore.com
> this shit on their site:

About issues with payment system :
Some banks (mainly USA), are denying credit card payment at the store.

This is being caused by the bank that issued the credit card thinks the transaction is fraudulent. Main reason is the amount being payed and beying a transaction outside the country where the credit card has been issued.
Please, if you are having problems when paying, call you your bank and ask to get the transaction aproved previously and proceed to the paymet again.
Thanks !

SOUNDS TOTALLY LEGIT

Neo Geo is one of the few consoles that is emulated 99.99% and is so much easier to setup with the unibios on MAME. I really don't understand the collection appeal of these overpriced games.

>>3691458
This is the only logical thing to do if you want the real hardware.
>>
>>3690968
what the fuck? theres a fucking neo geo flash cart now? when did this happen?
>>
File: gay.jpg (39KB, 320x427px) Image search: [Google]
gay.jpg
39KB, 320x427px
i own an omega and a MV1T + supergun. Honestly going board+supergun is way cheaper and the way to go especially if you're gonna use RGB any way. The omega isnt bad for all in 1 package and nice case though. The case feels a little hollow/light/cheap imo though.
>>
>>3691005
>cellphone
LOL
>>
>>3690964
Your best option is to get Fightcade, honestly. This is as a guy who owns

>4 slot cab
>1 slot MVS board and supergun

It's a -waste- to get into Neo-Geo. AES is the definition of prohibitively expensive, and pretty much every MVS game is at the 100+ dollar mark outside of boots and generic fighters like World Heroes.

Omega is insanely overpriced for what it is. You can get a board, a nice super gun, 2 sticks and like 5 games for the price of an omega if you look hard enough.
>>
File: randompicoffgoogle.jpg (90KB, 515x800px) Image search: [Google]
randompicoffgoogle.jpg
90KB, 515x800px
>>3692007

The SNK Candy 18 & 25 are cute as fuck though
>>
>>3692000
>Honestly going board+supergun is way cheaper

Does anyone make premade consolized supergun setups then?
>>
>>3692162
im not sure exactly what you mean. I got a supergun that has RGB/scart out only for roughly $70 off of arcade forge. All you have to do is wire a arcade psu to it or get one of those 4pin molex psu that are 5v.
>>
>>3692179
>arcade forge

Which of these was it?

http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike:::5.html?MODsid=2b2da4d23805873fe836631b86f66de8
>>
>>3692185
Supergun MAK Strike
http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/Supergun-MAK-Strike::74.html

fair warning. if you buy the power supply from the drop down box in mak strike link they are gonna send you an arcade power supply. You'll have to wire that shit up yourself. its just 3 wires but you're gonna need to know where the fuck they plug into the psu. also if you're in america its gonna take 3 weeks for the thing to ship.
>>
>>3690964
>Thoughts on overpriced hipster shit?
It's overpriced hipster shit

>Is this my best option?
No. There are much better places to shill your overpriced hipster shit.

>>3691458
>OP
In what language is that short for shill?
>>
>>3692298
>le shill meme
>>
>>3692189
What about their "Arcade Home Gaming System"? Is that compatible out-of-the-box with Neo Geo without additional setup?

http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/Arcade-Home-Gaming-System::134.html
>>
>>3692876
>http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/Arcade-Home-Gaming-System::134.html

As long as it has a standard JAMMA connector it will be compatible wth the Neo-Geo. Multislots are wired slightly differently but all 1 slots are standard Jamma with 1 additional button wired up.
>>
Load times aside, is getting a Neo Geo CD worth it for playing shit in RGB? The games are cheap as all fuck.
>>
>>3692298
>le hipster meme

But my pa never gave me one of these fancy contraptions and I never knew they existed! I never seen no Nintendo look like dis before!
>>
>>3690973
Perfect for the moment, at least I can't find a correct dumped, unprotected game that doesn't work.
>>
>>3693059
As a NEO GEO CD owner the thing is the only games you will be playing will be the earlier stuff, anything post 1995 and it's just looking at one long ass loading screen
>>
>>3692415
>>3693065
>le le meme
>>
File: index.jpg (7KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 272x185px
>>3693194
LELELELELELELE
>>
>>3693059
What >>3693092 said
but this only counts for fighters, everything else it isn't a problem.
>>
>>3691035
>The sequel, 2nd squad is shit, don't play it.
If it's so bad how come that one chick has gigantic tits?
>>
>>3692876
yea. that only adds that little snes to db15 thingy which is for neo geo. i have one of those things to and it works good. It actually doesnt work properly on my omega though for some reason.
>>
>>3690968
>Be prepared to spend over $400 for it though
Keeping in mind that it's still a much better value than actually getting into Neo Geo cart colleting.
>>
>>3691021
>subpar fighting games.

fuck off capcuck
>>
>>3693626
If you know where to look for the stuff in Asia it can be cheap.
>>
File: 2953621976_86eec91ec7[1].jpg (136KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
2953621976_86eec91ec7[1].jpg
136KB, 375x500px
>>3690964
The best, and ironically the cheapest, way to play Neo Geo games on original hardware is via a cabinet.
>>
>>3693626

Bah

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161222233415&SearchText=neo+geo
>>
>>3691968
it's legit, tons of people own the flash cart and the developers actively post on forums. foreign payment processing from online stores generally triggers fraud protection if you have a half-decent credit card.

>>3691990
released around end of november.

>>3692298
>le memes

>>3693059
no, Neo Geo CD is junk, don't bother. games are missing frames of animation and shit and lol loading.

>>3693650
most of them are shit (and I love the Neo), but there are some gems in there (Breakers Revenge, KOF97/98/2002, Waku Waku 7, etc.
>>
>>3693858
>games are missing frames of animation and shit and lol loading.

That's only true for the fighting games released late in the systems lifespan and well believe me you won't be playing them anyway because LOADING.
Games such as Magician Lord,Mutation Nation,Metal Slug and Sonic Wings are no problem. But yeah overall it' just easier to get into MVS. For those who despite it all want to get into AES keep in mind that not every AES system is equal, some of them have worse RGB output.
>>
As much as I like the NEO GEO.

SNK were complete utter hacks when it came to their home consoles.
The MVS just kept shrinking and getting more cost efficient, while the AES remained the same.
The NEO GEO CD(in my case top loader) is just pointlessly oversized,the optical block is attached to the top part of the case god help they designed the part which wears out to be easily replaced. The system itself is made of dubious quality plastic and the CD tray hook hinges are of a class of their own. Propitiatory AC Adapter for the CD(this adapter is more costly than the system itself). The NEO GEO CDZ which reduced the LOADING times somewhat comes with a lovely major design flaw which overheats the system and bricks the whole thing.
>>
>>3693812
where can I buy one and how heavy are they?

can I just put the carts in it?

How many carts will it fit (as in how many games can it allow you to choose from the title screen?)
>>
>>3693892
You can buy one of those Chinese multicarts for it or if you want to spend more a flash cart.
>>
>>3693878
the AES practically was more of a marketing stunt than an actual machine that they really expected to buy in droves

In the arcades, Neo Geo was the cheap option for operators -- the hardware wasn't as expensive as Taito or Sega's, carts were relatively cheap by arcade standards (certainly cheaper than Capcom's CPS carts), and you could even buy multi-game cabs, saving space on the floor.

at home, the hardware was massively overpowered compared to the rest of the competition and even if no one bought an AES, the marketing and buzz it brought by being so powerful was good for SNK
and part of the presentation was that it's big and bulky and "professional" like a piece of stereo equipment
they weren't a home focused company at all though; there were definite issues with the actual home hardware's physical quality

If there's one thing I think SNK really fucked up on, they could have put a 2x CD drive or better in the Neo Geo CD, which did seem to be designed as a machine people would actually own, not needing the ridiculously expensive ROM carts.
CD drive prices were falling rapidly (this isn't hindsight, that's just what was visibly happening), and expecting to load megabytes of data on a 1x drive (maybe slightly faster than that, you're still doing sub-400kB/s or so) in a reasonable amount of time was ridiculous.

>>3693059
you can literally burn games for the Neo CD, cheap games don't matter here
don't get one -- load times are miserable, and the newer the game, the worse it gets
playing KOF99 or 98 on Neo CD is one of the worst experiences a person could go through
>>
>>3693812
its not the cheapest at all. wtf are you on?
>>
>>3691968

>SOUNDS TOTALLY LEGIT

Yes it is... that's how most of cc companies work, if you need to make a payment using another country system need to authorize or will be blocked as fraudulent.
>>
File: turdforce.png (98KB, 206x277px) Image search: [Google]
turdforce.png
98KB, 206x277px
Dude, just use mame. BTW, don't fall in the "input lag" bs... Only retards like TurdForce believe this shit. pic related.
>>
>>3697493
>i have multiple sclerosis and can't feel input lag therefore it doesnt exist

I'm honestly jealous of this specific kind of retard
>>
Just buy a neo aes console and buy the neo geo mvs coverter. You end up paying the same price for an omega, plus you get original aes console. You can always mod chip it if you want too or get a region key cart.
>>
>>3697821
Or not even that, the people who made the MVS flashcart is releasing an AES version right now, it's pricy, but it's just a one time cost, with all the games available.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.