[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragon Quest Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: DQChristmas.jpg (307KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
DQChristmas.jpg
307KB, 1280x800px
Dragon Quest Thread: Holiday Edition
Previous Thread: >>3661119

It's been about a week since the last thread died so why not? Let's discuss Dragon Quest.
>>
I've started playing this game, and it's actually really good. Definitely a huge improvement over the first one. It's also the only Dragon Quest Mystery Dungeon game to be officially localized over here, so I thought I'd check out the review scores. How come this game reviewed so poorly? I get that it's rough, but scores like 2.75/10 and 1/10 seem undeserving when I'm legitimately having fun with it.

If you haven't played this game, at least watch the intro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=123jSz7BxVc) because the claymation is awesome.
>>
File: 1475755104069.jpg (268KB, 800x502px) Image search: [Google]
1475755104069.jpg
268KB, 800x502px
>>3690246
Been meaning to try this, always liked the pokemon ones. Would you reccomend I start with the sfc or go to the ps1 one?
>>
>>3690508
If you like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, Torneko 2 is much more like those games. I believe that Torneko Mystery Dungeon is the first Mystery Dungeon Game that ChunSoft ever made, and it shows.

The first game is incredibly challenging. There is only one dungeon in the whole game besides the tutorial dungeon, and to beat the game, you need to get to at least floor 26. That doesn't sound so bad, but you will have to run the dungeon over and over again. Just about every enemy has a gimmick and you'll need to learn them if you want to survive. And once you reach a certain point in the dungeon, you will have to run from nearly every enemy. Think of it like when you first get to Rhone in Dragon Quest II. You could just grind if there weren't enemies that can steal levels from you and drain your maximum HP. So you just have to run. It should be a really short game, but because it's so hard, the difficulty lengthens the game. I beat it without save states but some people might need them.

In the second there are multiple dungeons, and the difficulty is turned way down. Granted, I haven't beaten the game yet, but it doesn't seem very long. For all I know, there could be a dungeon later on that's just as hard as the dungeon in the first game. It's much more like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games because it has bosses and more than one dungeon.

The games are connected but the plot isn't amazing or anything. You could summarize the plot of the first game in three sentences. I wouldn't worry about playing the games out of order. I like them both but some people might have some serious issues with the first game.
>>
What are /vr/'s thoughts on Dragon Quest I+II SFC? Just bought it and have never played a Dragon Quest
>>
>>3691435
You made a good choice. It's the best version of Dragon Quest I & II. The only things I don't like about it are the music pauses before every battle and that the sprites are kinda ugly (they actually look worse than Dragon Quest V, which came out a year before).

I'm really hoping that you can read Japanese or are studying it though. Otherwise your purchase probably wasn't worth it.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
Nice. I'm playing through dq4 for the first time right now (first dq game as well no bully) and just finished Torneko's chapter the day before last. At first was scoffing especially after how amazing I felt Alena was but the novelty of manning the shop was nice. Actually got to buy the cautery sword the first day but the next person in the shop bought it and since I thought it was all scripted I didn't realize what I had done until I couldn't figure out how to proceed and sought a walk through to get to the next step. I suppose it would have made his chapter too easy.

It did eventually click to me that Torneko was the guy from the ads for the game in OP's topic that ran in EGM and gamefan when I was a youngun.
>>
I posted in the last thread that I've been playing them in order, was at the entrance to the demon tower in DQV, and was getting burnt out on the long, labyrinthian dungeons because of the ridiculously high encounter rate (even with repel/holy water.)

It's been over a week, and I still haven't entered the dungeon. I did some level grinding and geared up all the monsters I use, but now I'm just stalling.

Someone help motivate me to just power through the dungeon. I'm really enjoying the story and narrative in this one the most so far, but 5 games in a row of barely changed combat mechanics and grind is starting to wear me down. I feel like I'm just repeating almost literally the same damn equipment/spell progression in every game and grinding seems to have no reward whatsoever besides being able to go longer between inn rests.

But this one actually has a story and world that I find charming.
>>
Would it be worth it to buy a Dragon Warrior IV cart for the nes, or not retro and play through the nds version? Never played it before, just want to know which one is generally closer in terms of localizations, name changes, etc., to the original jp release.
>>
>>3691892
The character in the first chapter is named Ryan.
In DW4 he was renamed Ragnar. In the DS release he is named Ragnar McRyan and the entire chapter is rewritten with Scottish cliches.

If you want the true Japanese experience you have to play it in Japanese.
>>
>>3691892
NES is closer to an accurate localization but I think the DS version is better gameplay-wise. So pick your poison, unless you plan on playing the Japanese DS version, which is the best version.

Also Dragon Warrior IV is expensive as hell, so unless you're a collector, I wouldn't recommend buying it. Just emulate it.
>>
How fun this game actually is, considering multiplayer?
I saw it in romhacking.net as part of the fan-translated games and was wondering.
>>
>>3692695
It plays somewhere between Mario Party and the Pachisi board from the DQIII remakes with some monopoly~ish rules and it has FF/DQ references everywhere.

To be completely honest, it probably would have been fun when it was released, but you likely won't have fun playing it unless you happen to have friends IRL who enjoy FF and DQ enough to enjoy the references.
>>
File: Itadaki-Street-PS4-PSV-Ann.jpg (108KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Itadaki-Street-PS4-PSV-Ann.jpg
108KB, 600x338px
>>3692695
There's a new Dragon Quest x Final Fantasy Itadaki Street coming out in 2017. The chances of it ever getting localized are nearly zero, but it might be worth looking into.

I'm buying that PS2 Dragon Quest Itadaki Street game, along with the PSP and DS ones just because I like collecting Dragon Quest games. Sadly, I doubt most people would actually want to play the multiplayer.
>>
not /vr/ related, however, playing dqvii on 3DS. about to begin the el ciclo section and my characters are level 30 with champion, hero, and druid vocations. am i way over leveled?
>>
>>3695447
DQVII is /vr/. Doesn't matter if it's the remake or not.

Also, yes. You absolutely are.
>>
File: ship.jpg (653KB, 1280x944px) Image search: [Google]
ship.jpg
653KB, 1280x944px
>>3695447
Yeah, you are. Honestly with how fuck long it is grinding jobs is kinda pointless, you'll definitely have everyone with a mastered advanced class by the end. It is fun to mess around with them.

Hope your enjoying it. I'm probably in the minority but VII is my favorite of the series. Exploring new island sand seeing their story was a lot of fun to me. Sounds like you still have quite the stretch, take it slow and enjoy.
>>
>>3695461
>>3695497
shit that sucks. it's kind of easy to break the game with those download bar tablets.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.