[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nintendo 64 General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 20

File: n64.jpg (6KB, 332x152px) Image search: [Google]
n64.jpg
6KB, 332x152px
Is this the most hated console on /vr/?

Favorite games? Favorite console color?
>>
it deserves to be the most hated, my favorite n64 game is goemon's great adventure.
>>
>>3688915
>Is this the most hated console on /vr/?
Nah. That'd be the Atari 2600.

The N64 was a serious misstep for Nintendo, but it has more than enough quality games to get a pass from me. Its one and only decent RPG, Paper Mario, is also my favorite RPG of the gen.

Speaking of which, where would you guys recommend buying a cheap flashcart for this thing?
>>
>>3688942
I don't think there are cheap flash carts for the n64.
>>
I love it, overrated as fuck by YouTube babies. PSX and Saturn have libraries that is 10x superior.

N64 only has 388 games, of which there are maybe 10 great games, 10 good games.

PSX has almost 2500 games, sure there is a lot of shovelware but the console has so many hidden gems it's not even funny.
>>
>>3688948
$200 for a full library of games sounds pretty cheap to me.
>>
>>3688915
I love it. Pretty much ever first party title was dope. Also loved Mischief Makers and Goldeneye and Banjo Kazooie and Beetle Racing and Harvest Moon and Blast Corps, and a bunch of other shit I'm probably forgetting. You can make the argument that PS1 had it beat in quantity and hidden gems, but so many of N64's biggest games are such decisive home runs that I can't justify any amount of hate.

I liked the console in standard charcoal, but my first one came with an "EXTREME GREEN" controller that I will forever love.

>>3688942
Why do people hate the Atari 2600?
>>
>>3688953
>overrated as fuck by YouTube babies
It makes me wonder why N64 games are still relatively cheap compared to SNES. You'd think, given the age of most of these millenial "nerds" they'd gravitate more strongly to the N64, even more so since it can't be properly emulated.
>>
>>3688976
>Why do people hate the Atari 2600?
The idiotic assumption that there are NO good games on it.
>>
>>3688915

It have, the best and the most influential game of it's generation. Maybe the whole story.

Long live to N64.
>>
>>3688915
Not at all, I read lots of positive memories of the console's games all the time here on /vr/. Lately though, I've been feeling like Sega Saturn is the most hated, even though it is not, due to many posters having the need to tear it down all the time. As for hated, I would say 2600 too, as it is not ones that get ignored like really early consoles like the Odyssey (due to lack of personal experience with the system), but the more than apathy but actual hatred.

Favorite games are all the usual suspects, you already know them. Starfox 64, Sin & Punshment, WWF No Mercy, Majora's Mask, Ogre Battle 64, Bangaioh, Blast Corps., Waverace, Doom 64, Mischief Makers, Conker's, Beetle Adventure Racing, etc. The highs are really high, the lows are really low. So the highs are no secret.

I think the clear orange/black is a gorgeous color. There's something about clear orange that works. the Dreamcast's Chu Chu Rocket controller is clear orange/clear and it is my most favorite for that system too.
>>
>>3688915
man i love this shit no lie
for a simple man like me n64 is beyond comfy
>>
>>3688982
>N64 games are still relatively cheap compared to SNES
haha

hahahahahahahahaha

Have you checked the prices in the last year?
>>
>>3688948
>>3688957
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Custom-game-with-8g-card-free/32732017425.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.1.eJIFuO
Select "E D 64".

Have fun.
>>
>>3688953
>maybe 10 great games, 10 good games.

Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Conker’s Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Doom 64
F-Zero X
Goldeneye 007
Harvest Moon 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Space Station: Silicon Valley
StarFox 64
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Tetrisphere
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion

Among others. Fuck off.
>>
>>3689007
shit taste
>>
>>3689001
>he hasn't caught on to the low low Japanese imports

$5 japanese Mario 64, anyone?
>>
>>3689007
Even adding some sketchy choices it's barely over 25 games.

This list alone has over 100 games:

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation
>>
>>3689015
That's a (((thrifty))) plan to skyrocket the Japanese prices as well
>>
>>3689015
Oh no, I'm well aware of that. But if that other guys calling SNES games expensive he's probably not too concerned with Japanese versions.
>>
>>3689028
A lot of those are pretty fucking sketchy anon. For some reason people seem to be far less critical os PS1 games. A lot of stuff I see on "must play" list is mediocre to bad.
>>
>>3689028
This list also have over 100 games:

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_64

What's your point?
>>
>>3689050

So much this. PS1 games in general feel like extended demoes rather than complete games.
>>
>>3688915 (OP)
zelda: ocarina of time was pretty fun. starfox + mario.. but other than those ..hmm
>>
>>3689095
*rattles tits*
>>
Had a few genuine amazing games that changed gaming

rest was shit

so yea its pretty decisive

>inb4 'this is the same with every other console'

snes, ps1/ps2, and gamecube all disagree
>>
>>3689132
>gamecube

what is this meme on /v/ that the gamecube is one of the best consoles ever made?
>>
>>3689148
yeah the gamecube was frankly the worst of its generation and might even have less games than the n64.
>>
>>3689154
>>3689148
2/10 made me reply
>>
>>3689159
the classic xbox was the most underrated and has a tremendous library in retrospect. The GC has two of the worst zelda games, the worst 3D mario platformer, a good paper mario game, a good f-zero, and a good smash game. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>3689164
Classic Xbox had Halo and shit else.
>>
>>3689164
>luigis mansion
>mario sunshine
>twilight princess being 'bad'
>metroid prime
>metroid prime 2
>animal crossing
>robo
>pokemon XD
>mario part 4/7
>pikmin
>pikmin 2
>res evil 4
>air ride
>soul calibur 2

and im missing some, silly man
>>
>>3689154

Gaycube had RE4 first. That made it suck less than Xbox which was just a halo machine.
>>
I'm one of the most vocal bubble bursters about the N64 and a good portion of my hate comes from having worked at Babbage's during the 5th gen.

>Parent buys N64 because is kids' console
>Already has Mario 64 and Mario Kart
>Comes looking for a new game for their kid
>Picks up Chameleon Twist
>Pays $67
>Sorry no returns on used games

Meanwhile there was a wide variety of shit kids games available for Playstation at half that price.

Cartridges were a total shit.
>>
>>3689154

PS2 might have been the winner but it was also complete cancer for half its lifespan when it became a casual rhythm game machine.
>>
File: IMG_5707.jpg (17KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5707.jpg
17KB, 600x450px
dont mind me just being cute as f..k
>>
>>3689172
are we really doing this? Steel battalion, crimson skies, jsrf, panzer dragoon orta, gun valkyrie, mechassault 1 & 2, brute force, conker, by and far the best versions of 6th gen games with numerous HD releases, 480p standard otherwise and 5.1 dolby digital on every game. There are about 60-90 original xbox games worth playing. There's (in the best estimates) 15-25 gamecube games worth playing, and there's some games being added in there just for the sake of their franchise being important like mario sunshine which is frankly the poorest designed game the series has seen.
>>
>>3689183

Why didn't you recommend banjo or some shit like that?
>>
>>3689176
>>3689174
>>3689172
>I don't know shit about video games
oh /vr/, please stick to your doom threads.
>>
>>3689186
>conker

Are we talking 360 here?

Also most games did dolby 5.1 and 480 on other consoles so i don't see what the fuss is about. Xbox real innovation was online.
>>
>>3689203
conker live & reloaded is a classic xbox game. the online was nothing new, but microsoft should be praised for the support and infrastructure of XBL. The copious amounts of free DLC was pretty tremendous.
>>
>>3689203
480p was a requirement for all xbox games, and all but one support it. 5.1 is inconsistent in other platform's games, and many just use it in custscenes, in all xbox games it is enabled across the board throughout the game.
>>
>>3689007
Wow, you posted the whole library.
>>
>>3689208
I will never understand why kids who grew up with the gamecube will defend that console to the grave. It's really a disappointment.
>>
The N64 itself is fine. I'd take perspective correct over extra textures any day. Definitely wish it was a disc console though. The sorta people who despise the 64 are people who demand absurd levels of depth from a console, whether because they wanna be a hipster who likes games no-one's heard of, or they're collectors and they get their rocks off on owning a lot of games / possessing giant files of ROMs. They're sort of ridiculous people so it's hard to get bothered by their opinions.

That being said, the meme that the controller is somehow poorly made for being three pronged needs to die. I never heard of anyone, kid or adult, have trouble understanding how to hold it in the 90s. Left hand on middle, right hand on right. For a tiny faction of the library that uses the D-pad, you figure out within seconds of gameplay that it's a D-pad game and swap. Compare it to the Dualshock, the 3D Controller, Jaguar controller, 3DO controllers...it's easily the best of the lot. The only controller in its generation that is as well made is the Saturn 2D controllers, but then again you're looking at the result of five consoles worth of 2D controller design versus a first attempt at a 3D controller. It's a fine first outing, followed up by the very excellent Gamecube controller.
>>
>>3689216
the d-pad is a neglected element mostly, and for that reason it is poorly designed. If Sega could get it right why couldn't Nintendo? The poor design doesn't necessarily come from just the layout, but also the faultiness. Using rubber bands as the resisting force in the analog stick? The hell were they thinking?
>>
File: 1478661406166.png (542KB, 580x745px) Image search: [Google]
1478661406166.png
542KB, 580x745px
>>3689007
>Goldeneye meme
>shit games like DKR and DK64
>Perfect Dark (seriously?)
>listing three Turok games

The rest are alright
>>
>>3689235

Obvious Rare bashing aside what's wrong with Turok?
>>
>>3689226

They were thinking money
>>
>>3689256

I mean nintendon't did its darnest to sell you a bajillion addons.
>>
>>3689191
Wasn't out yet
>>
>>3689226
>rubber band as resisting element
I don't know what N64 you were using, but the one everyone else is using had a metal spring

not to mention, they didn't get it right -- the saturn 3d pad and its successor has the ergonomics of a rock
>>
Nintendo 64 is the console that made me a PC gamer
>>
>>3689226
The N64 controller used high quality springs as the resistive force. It had the ultimate accuracy and feel to it. The only downside was that the contacting pieces wore down after a long time. Other analogue sticks use potentiometers, with poorer accuracy but they last. If any sticks would use rubber it would be them.

When you say: "the hell were they thinking", you make it sound like as if you know shit about it.
>>
>>3689293

Funny the GC and GBA did it for me, what a terrible investment that was. Last consoles I owned and had no problem just giving them away.
>>
>>3689192
a single post sums up whats wrong with /v/ wow
>>
N64 is my least liked console. I never owned one myself because my family moved from SNES to PlayStation, but even back then I never saw the appeal of the N64. If somebody were to give me one right now, I'd sell or trade it immediately.
>>
>>3689358
>N64 is my least liked console
>I never owned one myself

Least favorite console despite not playing a single game?
>>
>>3688915

No, but it is the most gimped one.

Thanks for nothing, Nintendo...
>>
>>3688915
I love the N64.

Fuck you.
>>
>>3688915
The best console that's allowed on this shitty board.
>>
>>3688915
I think "hate" is the wrong word.

Take me; I'm the kind of guy who usually plays what he likes, regardless of public opinion and all that. I have and will play almost any kind of game, on pretty much any platform. Whatever.
Then the n64 fan base rolls along, rants and raves like loons, asserts their opinions into every conversation about Sony, Mario and anything else that triggers them, act like if you don't agree you're just wrong and etc.

As a result of that, I really, REALLY don't like discussing n64 games anymore. It's just not worth the annoyance to me.
I'll still play the stupid thing, but I won't get on my knees and pray to it, so n64 fanboys think I hate it...

That Sside, my favorite game is RR64, and my favorite console color is black.
>>
>>3689007
That's a list of largely niche games man. It would be like making a list of great PSX games, and including syphon filter and tomb raider 5...
>>
>>3689380
He never said he hasn't played any games. Only that he never owned one. Calm down.

That said, >>3689358 really needs to try some n64 games. It's a neat little console. It's good games are really good, few they may be.
>>
>>3689309
all the accuracy in the world and yet it has cardinal and ordinal notches to completely negate that accuracy
>>
>>3688915
It had the best console FPSs and 3D platformers of that gen. When it came to things like RPGs, horror, and many other genres, it had nothing.
>>
>>3689496
>RPGs
Paper Mario and Pokemon Stadium 1/2

>Horror
Resident Evil 2
>>
>>3689503
>RPGs
>Paper Mario and Pokemon Stadium 1/2
take a hike bozo
>>
File: MilhouseVideogame.gif (308KB, 495x371px) Image search: [Google]
MilhouseVideogame.gif
308KB, 495x371px
>>3689183

>friend has a dreamcast
>comes to my house
>I load perfect dark in 1 second
>WEW LAD
>>
File: N64green.jpg (36KB, 500x416px) Image search: [Google]
N64green.jpg
36KB, 500x416px

All consoles are the most hated consoles if we're talking about anonymous hipster communities like the ones you can find on a chan board, this isn't a question you can really answer seriously.

>Favorite games?

Besides Nintendo's 1st party stuff, some of my favorite include the 2 Goemon titles, Harvest Moon, Bomberman 64, Mischief Makers, Snowboard Kids 1 and 2.

>Favorite console color?

Plain regular black one.

Green controller is GOAT though.
>>
>>3689183

Gramps! How have you been?

>Cartridges were a total shit.

I'm disappoint, gramps :(
>>
>>3689252
Nothing wrong per se but it's definitely not noteworthy
>>
IMO the N64 is tied for most revolutionary and important /vr/ console with NES.

NES gave us the template for 2D games,

N64 gave us the template for 3D games.

The PS1 and Saturn had bigger libraries with more good games in general, but the N64's best games are on another level. It's definitely easier to appreciate if you were around for it, since most of the new ideas established back then have since become standard
>>
File: 1475461844727.jpg (67KB, 650x451px) Image search: [Google]
1475461844727.jpg
67KB, 650x451px
Good console, grew up with Megadrive, PS1 and N64 so was fortunate to taste both consoles of the gen.

It's first party titles and partnership with Rare are literally the reason to have the console. The thing it lacks most is depth.

But the good games are fucking incredible, Super Mario 64 alone is worth the console existing. WWF No Mercy, LoZ: MM and Goldeneye are phenomenal games. The only issue is for each amazing game, there are at least another 3-4 games on the PS worth playing (not necessarily saying their better). As a customer the smarter decision would be buying a Playstation. As a gamer? I'd be proud to own a PS or N64, hell I'd even take a Saturn if I was a Jap.

Saturn is the most hated console on this board I'd say, deserves the criticism but nowhere near the thorn in the dick people make it out to be.
>>
As someone who is kinda neutral, I had a playstation but some of my friends had a n64 which I played at their houses after school. One even had a dreamcast, enjoyed playing and watching my friend play games on it.

Personally though I feel like zelda OOT is just overrated much like ff7. This has more to do with me not being a fan of rpj type games. I have never nor will I ever play any series of either game. They are just not for me.

I liked mario 64, dk 64, gauntlet legends, yoshi story but other games not so much. I was much more into mgs, syphon filter, crash 3, nfs:hs, silent hill. The first tomb raider game I played was the 2012 version.
>>
>>3688915
There's one good reason the N64 is the most hated console on /vr/.

And that's that retro gaming communities have a tendency to be infiltrated by JRPG fanboys who play absolutely nothing except JRPGs (perhaps making an exception for story heavy games like MGS) and therefore literally see the N64 as a console with no games.

They are the people Yamauchi warned us about and we should call them out on their single-genre and proto-nu-gamer shenanigans.
>>
>>3688915

No one here hates N64, they just hate the inflated hype.

Largely /vr/ agrees that N64 was a good, but flawed system with some great exclusives but an otherwise poor library.
>>
the fact is that the average gamer only buys like 5 games for the whole console, unlike /vr/ who buys everything they like in the whole console's collection

since a pick of 5 games from the N64 is probably going to be better than a pick of 5 games from the PS1 you can understand why normies like the N64 so much and /vr/ is butthurt about this
>>
File: crackadder.jpg (28KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
crackadder.jpg
28KB, 500x382px
>>3689836
the logic is strong in this anon
>>
/vr/ just Hates n64 because they traded off all their n64 games before they boomed in price while the ps1 collection they're still sitting on its worthless
>>
The N64 isn't bad, but it's kind of boring. I think it's the weakest /vr/ Nintendo console (apart from the Virtual Boy, and that's only because of how small the VB library is).

It's just missing so much that the other 5th gen consoles, as well as the 4th gen consoles (including SNES) had.

>only TWO shooting games
>not many fighting games, and even less JP fighting games
>poor third party support, practically nothing from Namco, Capcom, Taito and Konami, like Saturn and Playstation had
>very few 2D action games in general (platformer, beat 'em up, run and gun, etc.)

There is of course some great stuff, the Treasure games, the western arcade ports, and while I'm not a big fan of Nintendo's first party franchises, Kirby, Starfox and F-Zero are all excellent. Overall it's just not that great though.
>>
>>3689050
For me a lot of it has to do with the controller. The N64 has some great games, but I HATE the controller, to the point that I find an average PS1 game to be more enjoyable than a good N64 game.
>>
>>3689154
I'd say the original XBox was worse by far, extreme lack of games without the leg up Nintendo gets from their first party exclusives. If it wasn't for Halo the XBox would have probably gone down as a total failure.
>>
>>3689041
>>3689015
>>3689001
>>3688982

I don't know how it is in the US but here in Europe, a lot of N64 games are less than 10 bucks unless you want to get highly sought after ones like Conker, Banjo Tooie, Smash Bros. or Mario Party. The average N64 game is a lot less than a (more or less) popular NES or SNES game.
>>
>>3689717
>NES gave us the template for 2D games

Er ... anon? I'm pretty sure other platforms made 2D games before it. No wait, that's not true either. EVERY game released before the NES/Famicom got released was 2D already.

Was it your intention to bait me or are you really that clueless? I hope it's the former.
>>
>>3690192
Popularised would likely be what he was inferring.
>>
Jungle Green is the best color, even though I've never owned it.

Also coincidentally, DK64 is one of my favorite games of all time, for reasons that I'm not quite sure of.
>>
>>3690129
Crimson Skies, Voodoo Vince and Blinx were pretty neat

But I agree the N64 is far superior.
>>
>>3690750
*Gamecube

God damnit
>>
/VR/ hates it because all the normies had it as a kid and loved it. It had a few great titles that led people to look back too for fly on the system and give it more praise than it deserves. Meanwhile the PSX and Saturn had to stop of great games, but get next to no nostalgic love outside of 4chan. So in traditional 4chan fashion, we give it extra hate to counteract all that unjust love the n64 gets and constantly remind people that the other 2 systems are a more complete gaming experience. Personally idgaf and I like all 3. PSX is my fav and I can't afford Saturn collecting
>>
>>3690784

PS1 gets tons of (unjustified) nostalgia though, /v/ kids were gushing over the announced Poochie Dog trilogy in HD recently (although most likely it was just Sony shills spamming, but still).

I also love all 3 consoles, I owned them back in the day.
I'd say I like both Saturn and N64 more than PS1, I think the PS1 catalogue is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>3689503
Wow, three RPGs, two of which aren't even actual RPGs, and a port of a PS1 game. That's quite a selection. Really makes you think
>>
>>3689515
Eat shit

>>3690821
Stadium 1/2 are still RPGs, despite having no story. The N64 version of RE2 has extra content.
>>
My favourite genres of video games are JRPGS and Fighting games, and I can understand why so few people like it compared to the PSX and Saturn.

Despite this, that has never stopped it from being my favourite console of all time, and I have no idea how people can just write it off as being "the worst" retro console when it's the console Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64, Mischief Makers, Goldeneye, Harvest Moon 64, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64, the Banjo series, Super Smash Bros., Ogre Battle 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Kirby 64, and Sin & Punishment are on.

You know, games people will literally never shut up about.
>>
>>3690793
To me it's the N64 catalogue that's overrated. I don't know how anyone can like the zeldas and marios besides nostalgia
>>
>>3691009
>I don't know how anyone can like the zeldas and marios besides nostalgia
I think you might have the shittiest taste in video games known to man if you can completely discredit OoT, MM, and SM64 with a simple hand wave and saying that only nostalgia drives them, especially on the retro video game board of all places.

Unless, you know, you haven't mentally aged past the age you were when the N64 was commercially available and you were a Sony/Sega fanboy
>>
>>3689558
>comparing DREAMCAST to fucking N64
good luck with that debate

>>3689578
Carts were a terrible idea that crippled the competitiveness of N64, inflated game prices obscenely and was a clear case of sour grapes against Sony.
>>
>>3691018
N64 is way better
This is not debatable
>>
>>3691034
Dreamcast > N64
>>
>>3691039
Does dream cast have Mario 64?
>>
>>3691046
my man, as if Shenmue could compete with that colossus of a game

I still believe it's PS1>N64>>SS
>>
File: index.jpg (4KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4KB, 300x168px
>>3689309
>The only downside was that the contacting pieces wore down after a long time.

What's annoying is nintendo neglected to put one small glob of grease that would have been enough to eradicate the stick's poor reputation. Most used controllers would actually be good and most people would know what a new stick feels like.

By the way does anyone know the best way to fix the bowls? They are scratchy and the stick is too hard to move for smash bros. I'm giving away my n64 for christmas and unless I have solution in 48 hours those kids are just going to have to deal with it.

Also wheres a good place to find manual scans? I can't find goemon's great adventure and I'd like them to be able to play it without google.

>>3689447
I think back when they didn't know what to expect from analog controllers, I think they imagined players might have difficulty finding cardinal and ordinal directions. Not only was this not the case but those hard directions became meaningless with games designed for 360 directions.
>>
>>3689717
>N64 gave us the template for 3D games.

The playstation shipped a good while before the N64, and PC had 3D games long before that.
>>
>>3691018

you are right, his real reaction was:

"what, already loaded?"
>>
>>3689765
>Personally though I feel like zelda OOT is just overrated much like ff7. This has more to do with me not being a fan of rpj type games.

OOT isn't an rpg, it's action adventure.

What adventure games were even close to OOT at the time of its release? I'd like to play them.
>>
>>3691057
you don't know shit then because the saturn directly competed with the playstation while everywhere but america knew the n64 was good for its 5 novel games and nothing else
>>
>>3691083
well why the fuck did saturn get annihilated by N64 and PS outside of Japan? literally every game worth playing on the console is an import

it's a quality over quantity thing
if the saturn was so amazing then where the fuck is sega now? it's all well and good competing in one market but that doesn't make a console sustainable. If all those good Saturn exclusives were out over here then yeah, N64 would be the worst of the 3 but it wasn't.
>>
>>3691061
>Also wheres a good place to find manual scans?

http://www.nintandbox.net/index.php/en/
>>
/vr/ hates it because it is a mainstream icon. same with the gameboy
>>
>>3688984
With games like Berzerk and Yar's Revenge being popular, I don't understand why this assumption exists
>>
>>3688915
>plugged mine right now
>no signal
well fuck.
>>
>>3691009
>I don't know how anyone can like the zeldas and marios besides nostalgia

Different tastes, you could argue the same about Final fantasies and Metal Gear Solids, but in reality N64 has more than just mario and zeldas. Mystical Ninja 2 on N64 is probably my favorite game in the entire 5th gen.
Games like Tomba, Klonoa or Astal don't have SHIT on Goemon.
>>
>>3691494
>Different tastes, you could argue the same about Final fantasies and Metal Gear Solids

No you can't

Zeldas, marios, final fantasies, and metal gear solids are all good games in general
>>
>>3691494
What about Ape Escape? Not so smart now are you?
>>
>>3691967

What about Ape Escape?
>>
>>3689183
Man, fuck you. Why wouldn't you recommend some of the good games? You probably ruined plenty of Chistmases for a lot of kids.
>>
>>3692169

Gramps was busy doing lotsa weed and LSD to know about the N64 catalogue.

Anyway I sort of understand him, he was upset that games on N64 were more expensive than PS1 games. but he still has an irrational hateboner for the N64, too much drugs.
>>
>>3689226
>>3689309
>high quality
Then explain to me why the fucking controller wears down so easily then? I'm very careful with my stuff and the only controllers I can't use anymore are the N64 ones.
They were playable yes, good for Mario games. But please stop this meme that they were actually good controllers, or that they hold up well.
My NES, SNES, MegaDrive, GameCube, PSX, PS2 and OG Xbox controllers all still work perfectly. Meanwhile I'm on my fifth or sixth N64 controller.
>>
>>3689235
DKR is a dope kart game and one of the only 64 titles I still play.

Goldeneye is only a meme for younger gens, it's cool to the people that remember . Not a great game but a great piece of gaming history

DKR was meh and PD was just an expansion pack.
>>
>>3692180
DKR is still fun to play, I agree. Goldeneye/PD was fun at the time but are definitely not good games anymore, unless you have a lot of nostalgia for them.
DK64 was shit back then and it's shit now though. I really didn't like it, bad controls, way too long, ultra long unskippable cutscenes, boring progression, unmemorable boss fights, and so on. I don't know a single person IRL who like this game.
>>
The DK games usually has god tier soundtracks however, and DK64 is no exception.
>>
>>3692192
>I don't know a single person IRL who like this game.

It doesn't have bad controls, and the bosses are memorable.
The best thing about it is the arcade DK though.
>>
>>3692197
I've asked all my friends what they think about this game and none of them like it. The closest thing to approval I've got is one of them also liking the soundtrack.
>bosses
Which ones? Do you know their names or what they look like? I sure don't, only remember the final fight (barely) in the boxing ring.
>controls
They feel sluggish and not precise to me, they're not fine. Compare it to a game with good controls from the same platform like SM64 or Banjo and it falls flat.
>>
>>3688915
Probably.
The N64 gets shit for the wrong reasons. It should get shit for being a symbol of everything wrong with Nintendo but instead it gets shit for not having RPGs for weebs.
Nintendo made carts despite progress because they wanted to control their market like creepy bozos.
The controller was designed for one game only and is why it looks silly.
The tech was needlessly complicated, outdated and hindered game designers more than it helped.
The audio suffered as a result of no CD quality.
The games ran at like 20 frames a second with more slow down than a Super Nintendo despite the fact there was no intention of backwards compatibility. (Which was the lie they told consumers to explain the shit clock speed of a SNES.)
The video has a forced blur you have to turn off with a gameshark? like, what the fuck is that?

But despite all the major flaws, it's still a great little system. Some of the best games of all time were released on it and that's what matters most.
Recently played through some Conker and Bomberman Hero. Fun stuff. Black system, black controller.
>>
>>3692178
there's this nice adapter dongle for the gamecube controller you can use for the N64. Full range with the stick too, I think they're like $30 or $35? Worth it I think.
>>
>>3692254
Both those games are shit and so your opinions are dubious
>>
>>3691135
the games not being released in america doesn't matter any more. You can play them no problem today. The N64 was only a success in America by the way, in Japan it was dead last, just ahead of the PCFX. In Europe, the N64 was also dead last. SoA dropped the ball with bringing games over. Today this is not a problem.
>>
For me quality beats quantity. I say without joking, give me 5-10 great games, or books or whatever, anyday over 50 or so mediocre ones.

Also
>no loading times, mostly no need for memory cards either
>Best 3D for its time
>best FPS games for it time
Other innovations e.g. Rumble, 4 controller ports...

I grew up with n64. I'm one of 4 brothers and we were kids in the 90s. N64 was perfect for us, 4 ports and the cartridges are less likely for kids to break than a disc.

It probably gets hate on this ultra hipster board because elsewhere it gets the most love.

Also, the GOAT: legend of zelda, ocarina of time, is on n64. Honestly if you're discussing games post 2000 and you haven't played ocarina, your opinion is pretty much void.
>>
>>3692301
tbqh panzer dragoon looks better than most of the n64 library
>>
>>3692254
>Nintendo made carts despite progress because they wanted to control their market like creepy bozos.
thats not the only reason, they also hated loading times and the concept of cinematic gaming
>The controller was designed for one game only and is why it looks silly.
if it was designed for mario 64 only why does it have a d-pad
>The tech was needlessly complicated, outdated and hindered game designers more than it helped.
n64 hardware is extremely simple compared to saturn, and it wasn't outdated - it was more advanced than anything available on PC at the time
>The audio suffered as a result of no CD quality.
true but not every PS1 game had "CD quality" sound, look at FF7
>The games ran at like 20 frames a second with more slow down than a Super Nintendo
because you don't understand basic computer science and the difference in 2D and 3D rendering requirements
>The video has a forced blur you have to turn off with a gameshark? like, what the fuck is that?
its dither filtering and it makes 90% of games look better
>>
>>3692301
>zelda...ocarina, opinion void

Im never going to play a zelda game nor am I going to play a final fantasy, castlevania game on the ps. Theyre just not for me and thats the case for some people also. I just dont see the allure of those types of games. If I had a friend and they wanted to play it and beat the game then I wouldnt mind otherwise id just walk past

N64 had some good games, mostly all first party titles and offshoots of them. Playstation had its decent share of good games like crash/spyro/ xmen vs sf/capcom vs snk but it had more mediocre games like ninja shadow of darkness which was fun to play for me.
>>
I think people overrate its shittiness here and its greatness elsewhere. It has a kinda small but relatively solid library. Saturn and playstation are overall better in my opinion however I feel the n64's strength is in its multiplayer. Things like DKR, smash 64, and the mario party titles to name a few are great even today. Even then things like banjo kazooie and sin and punishment keep me coming back.

Also ice blue best color.
>>
>>3692221
>Which ones?

It's been lots of years since I played it, but I remember the armadillo boss (the first one), the one you fight in the water using a boat (It was the best one, IMO), the cardboard cutout-king k. rool with the barrels, and of course the final boss which is the most memorable. I remember other ones like the surprise box one, I should replay the game but honestly it IS too long, but I remember enjoying the boss fights.

>They feel sluggish and not precise to me, they're not fine.

They're not as precise and versatile as SM64's controls, but I liked them better than Banjo's controls (which do feel sluggish to me), DK64's controls feel fine, never had a problem with them.

>>3692315
I love PD games (Zwei is one of my favorite games ever, probably), but you need to play Sin and Punishment.
>>
File: goemon.png (118KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
goemon.png
118KB, 266x189px
>>3691494
>Mystical Ninja 2 on N64 is probably my favorite game in the entire 5th gen

Are you ME?

Well, maybe not absolute favorite, but it's up there.
>>
>>3689183
>Picks up Chameleon Twist

I pretty much grew up on n64 so my tolerance for shit was kinda high for rentals, but fuck that game
>>
File: analogstick_alt.jpg (146KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
analogstick_alt.jpg
146KB, 1024x682px
>>3692178
He said the springs were quality, whatever that means. But the N64 wears down because the assembly is basically a plastic mortar and pestle. The analog stick grinds the bottom of a plastic bowl and produces that light grey dust we've all seen. After enough of the bowl is gone, the analog stick drops down and becomes loose, and the surface that it glides on becomes grainy.

It actually is a good design and the components are high quality. It just needed a glob of grease to slow down the abrasion, which probably would've added 10 years of life to the controller. You could regrease them now and they'd be good to go.

I recently fixed mine by taking the smallest o-ring I had, slicing it in half to make it thinner, and putting it on the analog stick just below the ball neck. Then greased the fuck out of it. This fix works really well because the analog stick is floating above the bowl and not even touching it any more. Unless the gears are worn out too, it doesn't matter how shitty the bowl got.
>>
>>3692254
>The controller was designed for one game only and is why it looks silly.

What do you mean? The controller was designed for 3 types of games.
>>
>>3691070
Yes and there were 3D arcade games before that, but Mario 64 revolutionized analog controls in a 3D environment. Compare Mario 64 to Jumping Flash for example, or even Crash or Spyro that came after it. None of those games had anywhere near the depth of control in Mario 64.

Also first person shooters were mostly doom clones before Goldeneye introduced objective-based gameplay into the genre. OoT introduced context-sensitive controls which became almost ubiquitous in modern 3D games.

The importance of standardizing analog controls in 3D games also really can't be understated. I owned both a PS1 and and N64 and loved them both, but the N64 was considerably more impactful.
>>
>>3692450
You discarded an opinion of an anon that wasn't even talking to you, then you give us your opinion on games you openly refuse to play and know nothing about. And you're serious, that wasn't a shitpost. What is wrong with you?
>>
>>3693546
I see your point

I remember flipping through the mario 64 manual and being blown the fuck away by all the shit you can do. There's a lot of ways to move mario that have no practical utility in the game whatsoever, but they added it anyway because they are intuitive and it makes a neat tech demo. Then after nintendo showed everyone what you can do, everyone proceeded not to surpass mario 64.
>>
>>3689176

Aside from the fact that the Xbox had the best multi-platform games and some nice exclusives too, Halo: CE was a decent game with fantastic combat marred by copy-paste architecture, while Halo 2 was the best online experience of that generation, PC or Console.
>>
when will these ENKKO or steel sticks be readily available?
>>
>>3689210
>I will never understand why kids who grew up with the gamecube will defend that console to the grave. It's really a disappointment.
I haven't seen any screw up that nintendo fans will not rabidly defend
>>
my only problems with it are that my favorite games don't emulate well and all my controllers have shitty sticks so I can't play them that way either
>>
>>3692289
Yeah, they didn't age gracefully. I still find them fun though.
>>3692421
PC gaming was always ahead in terms of tech. You just can't look at a game like Quake and say the N64 is more advanced. That's just silly.
The carts had pros and cons, true. Load times were a big deal for Nintendo which is why the GC had those weird discs but I don't think my cynicism is unfounded. Nintendo were notorious jerks back then.
And I just can't agree with you on the dithering, I think it stinks.
>>3693543
"I think that’s a misnomer to say that the N64 controller was designed around Super Mario 64. Yes, Mr. Miyamoto wanted analog control because he had a vision of how he wanted that game to work, but the controller wasn’t designed specifically for one game."
—Jim Merrick, Technical Director at Nintendo[3]
So Mario 64 is why it has the analog stick, so I'm mostly wrong. The controller still looks bananas though.
>>
>>3688915
If you hate on the N64 you weren't there when it launched. Most games aged badly but boy were they unbelievable at the time
>>
>>3693917
At the time N64 was released Quake ran at about 30fps at best in 320x200 in software mode quality brown pixelated shit. Compare that to Wave Race 64.

Just stop with mustard flavored historical revisionism.
>>
>>3692421
>and the concept of cinematic gaming
Then why did they push it to the brim with OoT?
>>
>>3691494
>Games like Tomba, Klonoa or Astal don't have SHIT on Goemon.
Unless that just hugely nostalgia speaking, they actually do have LOTS of shit on Goemon.
>>
>>3694125
niceeee

N64's first party titles are what make the console bearable ultimately. I am not taking anything away from those games as the majority of them are 9/10 to 10/10's.

PS1 and JP Saturn just has it beat in terms of the amount of games worth playing for the system, your money would be better placed in one of those consoles instead, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll have better gaming experiences on the console.

btw, quake always looked like shit, puts me asleep every fuckin time compared to DOOM
>>
File: N64jp.jpg (108KB, 1024x718px) Image search: [Google]
N64jp.jpg
108KB, 1024x718px
Regarding the stick, yeah, they become loose (especially after playing Mario Party), but in my experience, they don't stop working. I can still play all my games and the stick is still more precise than more modern sticks (GC, PS2, Xbox, etc), even if loose.

Of course it's annoying that the stick doesn't feel as tight as it did when it was new, but once I'm playing, I kind of forget it's loose and it's perfectly functional.
I have yet to see a N64 controller which stick fell off or stopped working - I know it can happen, but I just never had it happen to me, and I've used my controllers a lot, not just for Mario Party (which I haven't even played that much), but other games that use the stick heavily like Smash bros.

Also, I hear the japanese controllers are better lubricated and because of that their sticks don't get loose (or at least, not as much as the western ones). Been meaning to buy a japanese controller for a while to see if that's true.
>>
>>3694129

>LOTS of shit on Goemon

I mean, they're all fine games (except for Astal, I thought it was mediocre, but had pretty visuals), but Goemon is on another level. Anyway Goemon was a long-running series pretty popular in Japan by the time the N64 titles came out (which I think was the peak of the franchise), Klonoa and Tomba were short-lived series.
>>
>>3693917
>So Mario 64 is why it has the analog stick, so I'm mostly wrong. The controller still looks bananas though.

That's because the plan was for left and right grips to be used for classic style games, middle and right for 3d navigated games, and left and middle for shooters. In the end almost every game used middle and right by default and the d-pad was optional when appropriate. If shooters used left and middle like nintendo intended, we would have had modern shooter controls a generation earlier and everyone would have understood the point of 3 handles with just 1 stick.

It's never bothered me because I just accepted shit as a kid. As an adult the handles should have been at a wider angle to accommodate larger hands and wrists, but it's fine for children.
>>
>>3693918
>If you hate on the N64 you weren't there when it launched. Most games aged badly but boy were they unbelievable at the time

Did the graphics look impossibly vivid to anyone else? Not just the N64, but any 3d system. The first time I saw mario 64, it looked better than graphics do today. It's like I directly saw what the artist was trying to represent instead of polygons and blurry textures.
>>
>>3694412
>instead of polygons and blurry textures.

Yeah, back then people used CRTs.

Seriously though, I remember the first time I saw SM64 running on a display at a store, I remember seeing the attract mode which shows Mario running along the falling bridge on the ghost house, and my jaw literally dropped. It looked too dynamic, too vivid as you said. I already had played 3D games on PC, 3DO and playstation, but SM64 was on a new level.
>>
>>3694195
>they don't stop working

They become intolerable. The wobble doesn't bother me, but eventually they are ground to the point that they feel like they have sand poured in them and they are very hard to move.

If you haven't greased yours already, you need to do it now. Any plastic safe grease is much better than nothing. It probably won't make it feel better, but it stops the damage.
>>
>>3694419
Oh yeah I forgot how helpful CRTs are at making things look good

I think it was because I had never seen quality 3d character animation, and definitely not at 60 fps.
>>
>>3689007
>Conker’s Bad Fur Day
nigga are you seriously putting that stain in your list?
>>
Is Nintendo 64 worth owning?
I suppose it must be cheaper to buy it in USA and make it sent to Europe than look for N64 in Europe.
>>
>>3692291
>In Europe, the N64 was also dead last.
So was the Saturn. What's your point?
>>
File: 1275663020852.jpg (71KB, 800x553px) Image search: [Google]
1275663020852.jpg
71KB, 800x553px
>>3694519

Its emulation is shit and looks like it will continue to be shit, so it is worth owning. But it depends on your taste in games, people who dislike Nintendo 1st party games tend to dislike the N64, then again I don't understand how people dislike all and every Nintendo game.
Super Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Wave Race 64 and F-Zero X are all wildly different from each other, even if they're all Nintendo-made.

Also, against popular belief, the N64 does have some strong 3rd party titles.

It's a nice console to own, especially since it was the last home console to use cartridges, a medium that was criticised back in the day, but I think in retrospect are a better medium than CD, especially because of their durability and the lack of loading times.
>>
>>3694519
Most of the good games are kind of expensive, you have to deal with worn out analog sticks somehow, and decent n64 emulation might finally happen soon

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/nintendo-64-vulkan-low-level-emulator-parallel-pre-alpha-release/
>>
>>3694684
>Most of the good games are kind of expensive

The everdrive is a good solution, and you can also play fan translations which is a huge plus if you can't read japanese.
>>
>>3689429
This is me to the extent of where I just don't feel like giving reasons why I play old games anymore when people ask since most of the responses I get are "ew, that old therefore it's shit" and don't feel like arguing.
Favorite game: Space station silicon valley
Favorite console color: Black
>>
>>3689429
>Then the n64 fan base rolls along, rants and raves like loons, asserts their opinions into every conversation about Sony, Mario and anything else that triggers them, act like if you don't agree you're just wrong and etc.

You could say the same about the Sony loyalists and don't even get me started on Sega fanboys, they're just as bad as Nintendo's.

I don't know why you think only N64 fanboys behave like that.
>>
>>3694582
jesus christ who writes like this?
>>
File: 1481790268007.jpg (42KB, 500x661px) Image search: [Google]
1481790268007.jpg
42KB, 500x661px
It's the best console of all time. Only one better than the NES. If you think about it, CD/DVD restricts vidya by restricting them to a certain style, certain genres of gameplay. For instance, PS1 could only play RPG/FIghting Games because it had to account for the slowness of that laser. N64 could play dozens of other genres, that have never been explored by later platforms because of diminishing returns on increasing graphical power, and the same restriction.

N64 and Switch will be renown as the consoles of imaginations in hindsight when we look back 20 years from now. Nobody will remember these speedbumps from today 2000 - 2016 will all seem one console with the lifespan of the Wii U. Mark my words.
>>
>>3693551
I guess you forgot to read the reason why I replied to his post, make it easy for you.

>Also, the GOAT: legend of zelda, ocarina of time, is on n64. Honestly if you're discussing games post 2000 and you haven't played ocarina, your opinion is pretty much void.

I never played ocarina of time nor will I ever play it, I just dont have the desire to. Ive played chrono trigger and personally to me the game wasnt that good, the combat mechanics were nice and all but I didnt really care too much about the story except for the robot waiting 1000 years for them or something.

So what if I refuse to play some games that I have no interest in? Im not a fan of zelda/final fantasy/castlevania. I played a ton on the n64+ps1 with my friends, I just didnt like certain games that people fawn over like its the GOAT. There are just good games and mediocre ones like ninja shadow of darkness that I mentioned which is something the n64 lacked in. I enjoyed the ps1 a lot more but im not saying if someone didnt play MGS/crash/spyro/gt/nfs/syphon filter/etc on the ps1 then their opinion is invalid like that anon did.

Get over the fact that some people just dont like certain series for various reasons.
>>
>>3695224
Oh my bad. I didn't see the quote and I thought you were just greentexting
>>
>>3692169
I recommended buying a PlayStation. What would you have recommended a parent who could only afford one game for Christmas 1997 and already had Mario 64 and Mario Kart buy for their kid?

>>3692172
The only game that was decent for a kid at that point that made it under my radar was Mischief Makersb and to be fair that one slipped under a lot of people's radar because it wasn't 3D
>>
>>3695239
>I recommended buying a PlayStation. What would you have recommended a parent who could only afford one game for Christmas 1997 and already had Mario 64 and Mario Kart buy for their kid?

Shadows of the empire or goldeneye
>>
>>3695246
Both those games are T for Teen. I was very familiar with Goldeneye it was the most popular party game at my apartment but moms weren't trying to buy it for their 4 year olds.
>>
>>3688996
>lime green is my favorite color
>dads alcoholic Vietnam vet friend gives me a jungle green N64
>GameCube comes out and try to be nice and I give N64 to a poor friend
>he sells it to a wetback named Mario
>go over to Mario's House and the controllers are partially broken
>still regret giving it away till this day
>>
>>3695343
4 year olds? Really? Few children even start reading at that age. It hardly seems to matter what game they were getting as long as pressing A eventually starts the game. You know what I don't trust a 4 year old with? Optical disks.

But the dilemma still exists. I still say shadows of the empire and goldeneye. T for teen means practically nothing. SOE isn't violent at all and goldeneye is less violent than your child being in the same room as a james bond movie, which most people wouldn't think twice about. I was 7 when goldeneye came out and content was never a concern, at least in america.
>>
>>3695381
I got Shadows of the Empire from my parents, and Diddy Kong Racing from my Aunt that year. I was asking for Blast Corps but neither could find it in stores. A Software Etc guy apparently recommended DKR to my Aunt when she asked for Blast Corps which turned out to be a total bro move. At first I thought I was gonna hate it because it was kiddy shit but it turned out amazing. Shadows was amazing as well, one of the best Christmases ever.
>>
>>3695403
To add to this I was only 9 that Christmas, and I don't remember thinking Shadows or Goldeneye (which I already owned) were too mature. I wanted Turok and Duke Nukem but my parents wouldn't let me get M games yet. Shadows of the Empire definitely had some spooky moments like the sewer levels but nothing traumatizing.
>>
>>3695381
My 3 and a half year old plays video games and I wasn't super happy that he was really into his cousins playing Call of Duty at my in-laws' house. If it was 1997 instead of 2006 I would probably have him playing SNES and Genesis. Castle of Illusion is his favorite retro game.
>>
>>3695795
Is this because of violence or the fact that COD is cancer? If it's violence, what effect do you think it has on your child? When I was a kid I avoided blood/gore, foul language, and sexual content because it made me uncomfortable. But I never batted an eyelash at goldeneye. The fact that he's "really into" call of duty proves with absolutely certainty that this isn't a problem for him. So what's left? It's going to influence his behavior or perceptions?

Anyway goldeneye barely had blood. Of course "If it was 1997" changes things because everyone perceived the n64 as realistic virtual reality back then. And the relationship between simulating violence and acting out violence was less understood. And then of course, a game retailer is taking a huge risk convincing a parent what is appropriate for their child when an official sounding organization like ESRB says otherwise. But the least the guy could do is show the parent the game and let them make up their mind based on real information instead of imagination. This doesn't matter to a 4 year old, but 2 years later they are either going to have chameleon twist or goldeneye, which is a huge difference.
>>
>>3695359
fucking Mario.
>>
>>3695359
I can sympathize. I wish your generosity gets rewarded in some way. Yet, I know the regretful feeling. It is pretty difficult especially when one is poor now, knowing the cost to recover the items (but in worse condition, like superglued price stickers onto uncoated labeled games from homes with smokers and roaches).

I was not generous, but I wish had had known to care more. My NES died, and I had almost all the greats (1 one not-great, but I enjoyed it because it was mine and I was young), so my parents had me give my NES titles to my cousin, and I got a SNES. Left my SNES at another cousin's place because I visited often, but that too had some of the greats. Another cousin (yes, I have plenty of those) visits too and appears taken quite a few of the SNES greats for himself which I can now never get back due to current SNES tax (like Super Punch-Out, Super Metroid, my 2nd copy of Chrono Trigger, Turtles in Time, Super Castlevania 4, Secret of Mana, etc.). At least, m uncle is not one to throw out stuff, but it was my fault for leaving some of the things away for a thieving cousin. Sad to know things are just better in your own care and purchasing secondhand from others witnessing the scraps that do remain has been mistreated (Genesis games without their clamshells, ripped labels, filth beyond belief, the aforementioned superglued price stickers, etc.). It is part the reason for such SNES taxes, I suppose.

I still hate being poor. I just woke up from a dream, where by some insane cosmic coincidence I hit the jackpot on not one but two concurrent lotteries (I don't buy them, so obviously wouldn't happen). I wake up back to this reality. It would have been a fine time to die in my sleep, as that is richness I will never know (can't say happiness, but it did feel happy at the time). Merry Christmas.
>>
>>3688915

The PS1 is my most hated. It has more games I like than the N64, but it represents the decline of console gaming to me.
>>
N64 is circlejerked to fuck here. Its sony that gets all the hate.
>>
File: n64_ctl_lime_green.jpg (24KB, 538x480px) Image search: [Google]
n64_ctl_lime_green.jpg
24KB, 538x480px
>>3688915
I personally love it for the memories, it was my second console and the first I bought with my own money. It's basically this >>3688998 for me. A good selection of fun games, pretty comfy, all enjoyable to play; all of the Mario games + the Zeldas, Smash, Goemon, Mischief Makers, Harvest Moon 64, F-Zero, Perfect Dark, Star Fox and Blast Corps.

It's a console with not a whole lot of depth but what it has is a lot of fun, replayability and great local multiplayer, kind of similar to the appeal of an arcade machine in that regard.

I think the ice blue and the gold ones are the best looking (not that fond of the Daiei Hawks one), but a console made of that extreme green would've looked pretty far out - shame they didn't do it.
>>
>>3689503
No mention of Ogre Battle 64? Or even Quest 64 if you're reaching hard.

The N64 had so much wasted potential for horror. RE2 is an impressive port but with all the FPSes and third person games I could've totally seen something similar to Fatal Frame or Silent Hill being on it. GC made up for that with shit like REmake/RE4 and Eternal Darkness at least.
>>
File: 1400663857031.gif (1MB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
1400663857031.gif
1MB, 400x500px
>>3697941
>N64 is circlejerked to fuck here. Its sony that gets all the hate.
Did you hail from bizarro /vr/ or something?
>>
>>3694406
>If shooters used left and middle like nintendo intended
but shooters did use left and middle. you could even use 2 controllers at once with 2.x schemes.

http://goldeneye.wikia.com/wiki/Control_style
>>
>>3694684
>you have to deal with worn out analog sticks somehow
no you don't, it's insanely easy to find OEM n64 controllers in good condition if you aren't retarded. i bought two of them this year.

if you're too stupid to find them you can always get a hori pad or a raphnet adapter.
>>
the santa hat on the n64 controller looks so cute
>>
>>3698084
That's what I meant. You have to deal with the analog sticks by spending money to replace them or acquiring an alternative. I didn't literally mean you were forced to use a ruined analog stick while you sob like a bitch.
>>
>>3698081
Yeah I couldn't find those when I was 7. Did anyone here who was older use alternative styles or know someone who did?

But the point still stands. Solitaire should have been the default layout. And because not enough people used it, people will be questioning the wisdom of the middle handle for eternity.
>>
>>3698193
>You have to deal with the analog sticks by spending money to replace them or acquiring an alternative
or you can spend 5 minutes putting a drop of cheap silicone grease in the bowl and have it last an extra 3000 hours of gameplay and probably never have to replace it.
>>
>>3697964
Not quite the same though Doom 64 has a lot of creepy lighting and ambient sound
>>
not sure how anyone could really hate the thing, it just had a pathetically small library and seriously should have used cds

though the library it had had a pretty excellent ratio of good games to pure shit
>>
When I bought a N64 with Wave Race64, I was able to awe all my friends with the graphics of this game. This console was different, just because you could play with 4 friends at the same time. And so we played long nights Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and so on. Sure, the libraries of the Saturn and PSX exceeded the N64 with long miles. But the N64 has a special place in my heart. Fun times, until LAN parties were a thing, and then it became a dust collector, until the nostalgia factor kicks in. Retro nights became a thing, we didn't care how ugly it looks on a HDTV nowadays, it was the gameplay we rooted for.
>>
>>3698256
This does nothing to improve a stick that's already ruined.
>>
File: 1472342007864.png (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1472342007864.png
7KB, 300x300px
Ya'll niggers are retarded.
>hating on N64
>hating on PS1
>hating on GCN
>hating on defenders of each
Each of those had some amazing must play games. Who cares if it's 10, 20, or 100? Or how many shit games it had?
Let's say a system had 15 games you loved. That's well worth the price of everything. Think about how many hours of enjoyment you got. I still play each of those consoles, and I'm still enjoying a game I bought over a decade ago.

This is literally worse than modern console wars. Bunch of queers, how about you stop posting and play.
>>
>>3699090
>Who cares if it's 10, 20, or 100? Or how many shit games it had?
>Let's say a system had 15 games you loved. That's well worth the price of everything

Because more is better, and there is a threshold of good games you need to make the console worth the purchase.

On GC I really liked metroid prime, pikmin, rogue squadron 2, and melee. Sunshine and windwaker would good games but I didn't like them as much as their n64 counterparts.

That's 6. I really should have gone with the PS2 if I knew better, I'd only really miss melee and my first playthrough of metroid prime.

Meanwhile my list of games I jizzed over is much longer for the n64 despite the small library. I loved that console intensely for the exact reasons you described. But if the N64 only had 2 games I'd regret not owning, I couldn't say the same.
>>
>>3689015
It's been like this for a long time already, you could get all the mario party, smash, zelda, etc for cheap but how all the hipsters don't look for that. Get them while you can, especially the exclusives. Also is Starcraft 64 any good / worth buying? Conker is still expensive in US, EU, and JPN (but JPN is understandable since it never came out over there)
>>
>>3696372
Yes a lot of it is how uninspired COD is but it's also the violence. I can make exceptions for Christmas but he's very fixated on Shadow of Mordor ever since he woke up to me playing it and I let him play for a little while he says "I want to play dadas game it's like for REAL" and sometimes I still have to let him play for a little bit since I don't want him to permanently obsess over it but I do think it's a bit too violent for him to be getting desensitized to at this point. I let him push the envelope but that's a bit too far. I try to substitute Amazing Spiderman since it uses the same engine but it only works sometimes.

Anyway you gotta understand we were still living in Tipper Gore's "porn game" era and if I sold Goldeneye to the wrong mom who found her kid shooting a guy in the back of the head in a toilet and she came back with a bee in her bonnet I could have lost my job

>>3695795
Also holy hell I thought it was 2006 instead of 2016. I'm getting old as shit.
>>
>>3699134

You should play Odama. Sage because not retro
>>
>>3698806
Then don't buy a controller with a ruined stick you fucking dunce.
>>
>>3689185
What are you talking about? Nobody hates the PS2, it's universally loved by everyone. With the library it has, it's hard to hate it.
>>
>>3699507
>Then don't buy a controller with a ruined stick you fucking dunce.

The only way to do this is to buy an expensive like-new controller, a japanese controller, or go to a lot of used game stores and flea markets and eventually get lucky. The entire context of this conversation is that the N64 analog stick is an unavoidable hassle if you are thinking of buying an N64. Fucking look at this:

>>3694519
>>3694684

An anon asked for what to expect when acquiring and N64 and I told him. See anything objectionable? No? Shut your face.
>>
Are japanese N64 controllers expensive?
>>
>>3699682
Looks like 40-60 USD on ebay used with box
>>
>>3699680
>The only way to do this is to buy an expensive like-new controller, a japanese controller, or go to a lot of used game stores and flea markets and eventually get lucky.
You can get like-new controllers that are 8 or 9 out of 10 on ebay for like $30. I bought two of them last year, and one of them was from Japan.
>The entire context of this conversation is that the N64 analog stick is an unavoidable hassle if you are thinking of buying an N64.
I wouldn't define any of this as a hassle. You buy a controller on the internet, then spend 5 minutes putting silicone grease in it.

>See anything objectionable?
Yes. The part where you said "you have to deal with worn out analog sticks."

I've never had to deal with a worn out analog stick, because I've never owned an N64 controller with a worn out analog stick. There is absolutely no current existing circumstance in which you are forced to deal to deal with a worn out analog stick, because owning a controller with a worn out joystick is avoidable from the very beginning.
>>
Alternatively: Don't play Mario Party!
>>
>>3699717
>on ebay
Explains a lot.
>>3699682
No, 1000 JPY for controller in good condition.
>>
>>3699680
>or go to a lot of used game stores and flea markets and eventually get lucky.
they're not that rare, dude. retro gaming stores often have n64 controllers in very good condition. you just have to test them out before buying to make sure they're not 3rd party.
>>
>>3688915
my favorite console desu
>>
A japanese friend can send me a n64, it seems they are cheap there, I wanted to buy one here in my country but they are expensive along with the games
Are there any good JP games that weren't released in america?
>>
>>3699718
>You can get like-new controllers that are 8 or 9 out of 10 on ebay for like $30. I bought two of them last year, and one of them was from Japan.

Well I hope your results are typical. Japanese controllers are the safest blind buy because they were actually greased at the time of manufacture.

>Yes. The part where you said "you have to deal with worn out analog sticks."

See >>3698193

Opening up and greasing an analog stick is "dealing" with the analog sticks. It's not a normal controller than you can pay bottom dollar for and expect it to work perfectly. You have to fix them, even ones that have never been opened.

>>3699780
I've bought two and they were both unusable garbage until I did an o-ring mod. Maybe they were used exclusively for mario party in a rape dungeon and I'm overblowing it, I don't know.
>>
>>3701440
Don't take my word for it an google it, but I think japanese N64s can only play japanese games and american N64s can play japanese games if you cut some metal piece off.
>>
>>3689007
>Donkey Kong 64
NICE BAIT
>>
>>3701440
Animal Forest is the only one I know of.
>>
>>3701440
>Are there any good JP games that weren't released in america?

There's actually a fair amount of them, Sin and Punishment being the most well known one, it's a must have for the console and you don't even really need to know japanese to play it at all since the whole game's voice acting is in english, although the options and menues are in japanese, it's a simple enough arcade-style shooting game anyway.
>>
Goldeneye 007.
>>
>>3688953
lmao saturn and ps1 fags are so delusional. The ps1 is a fucking shovelware machine, full of fishing games, barbie games, big licenced that turned into massive dissapointments
And for the saturn is just a fucking niche console..
>>
>>3689183
no surprise that playstationfags are fucking 100% edgelords most of the time.
>>
>>3702605

gramps was a saturnfas, according to his own stories, but yeah he's a fag for dismissing the N64 like he does. He never grow out of his junkie teenager phase it seems.
>>
>>3688915
the only console from it's generation that was fucking brave as fuck.
n64 classics>clunky generic gems from the ps1
>>
>>3688915
maybe the most loved
idk
its comfy
>>
>>3689007
>Turok 3

Glad someone mentioned it. Fun fucking game. The Turok 1 level is also really cool.

Forgot to mention Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, Rayman 2 and Sin and Punishment
Thread posts: 223
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.