[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building an arcade cabinet for the first time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: mamecab.jpg (28KB, 288x450px)
mamecab.jpg
28KB, 288x450px
Alright /vr/, I'm here for some advice. I know I could probably post this in /diy/ but I figured someone here might have experience with this stuff.

I've been thinking of building my own all-purpose MAME arcade cabinet for a while (4-player cabinet). I have a few questions before I really get into it. It will hopefully be something similar to, but not identical to, pic related. I know following a guide would be the easiest thing, but since there are so many guides, and I have my own idea on what I want, I'm just going to make my own design.

1. Should I use a CRT display, or should I just use HLSL effects to get similar results (heard of hlsl, haven't tried it myself. All I know is it's a bunch of directX effects that let you emulate scan lines and shit)? If a CRT would be the best option, which model of TV or monitor?

2. How powerful of a PC should I use? I don't plan to run any games past the ps1 or n64 era. I'm asking because I know someone who can sell me old computers for cheap.

3. What is the best PCB for wiring the controls? I'm looking at I-PAC boards (http://www.ultimarc.com/store/section.php?xSec=2), but I want to know if there's a better alternative.
>>
File: 20161220_022038.jpg (744KB, 2048x1152px)
20161220_022038.jpg
744KB, 2048x1152px
>>3688382
I bought an old cab and gutted it. I'll post results, but how do you remove these kinds of buttons? They came with the old machine and I wanna reuse them.
>>
File: 20161220_022051.jpg (421KB, 2048x822px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_022051.jpg
421KB, 2048x822px
>>3688398
forgot image
>>
File: 20161216_023639.jpg (722KB, 1152x2048px)
20161216_023639.jpg
722KB, 1152x2048px
>>3688404
>>
>>3688395
You just unscrew the black nut on each button and take off the micro switch and pull them out.
>>
>>3688382
You'll need a CRT if you want light gun games and most games will look better on a CRT.

Not perfect, arcade monitors are significantly different than standard consumer CRT's but CRT's are the closest you can get without getting an actual arcade monitor and rigging up a VGA to CGA encoder.

>How powerful of a PC
Honestly, for these kind of projects I just frankenstein something together with spare parts, or use my old PC once I get a new one. MAME requires a lot less power than you'd think. People run them on Raspberry Pi's.

>Best PCB for wiring controls
Don't even know, but I'd look at something either modular or something that just emulates keystrokes. Depending on budget and what you want to do, things like the X-arcade tank stick can be a reasonable option.
>>
>>3688395
The microswitch should separate from the actual button by a bit of wiggling it around. There's 2 plastic nubs that hold them in.

Don't keep the buttons. Do yourself a favor and spend the 20 - 40 bucks and get new buttons and sticks. It really sucks when your friends come over to play your new cab and you find out a few switches are dead and the sticks are unresponsive.

Before you fuck around with the buttons take a picture of the wiring layout, and take some painters tape and mark what the buttons input is. That'll save you a shitload of time and effort rewiring up the quick connects when you replace buttons.
>>
>>3688382
You should start with an existing cab and modify it. Or an even easier option is to just fantasize about something that's never going to happen like every thread like this ever posted.
Get a tri sync CRT
Read up on how MAME works before talking about "powerful"
i-pac is a bit of a meme product but it's solid. Personally I roll my own but you won't be able to do that.
>>
>>3688382
Seems like you went to sleep, op but you'll probably wake up soon so I'll do my best to give you some specific advice based on what I can see/assume of your personal situation

>This cab no longer has a jamma harness, has an incomplete one (1 player only, no monitor connected) or at least will never be restored to full-authentic to plug arcade PCBs into
You can probably forget about bothering with theipac as it would have you spending as much time and way more money building a jamma harness as it would take you to just wire directly to your chosen interface

>You currently have a nicely fitting consumer Trinitron in there that probably has component inputs already, and you have a zapper connected
As another Anon said if you want to play light gun games and it looks like you do then you're going to want to stick with a 15khz at least. You can continue using the TV you have there as it will make doing what you're doing now (hooking up consoles) very simple while you're working. If and when you get to the point of going full PC MAME you'll have to transcode but that's no more expensive than getting a wider format monitor and depending on your location could be much cheaper and simpler.

(cot'd)
>>
As far as the panel goes, get yourself a new piece of plexiglass and drill your own holes then mount your sticks and buttons to that and just replace the plexi that's on it now. Sandwich graphics of your choice under it.

If I'm correct that you want to use consoles in the easily foreseeable future I'm going to suggest that you build the control panel to give Playstation output by simply gutting two generic digital Playstation controllers and soldering to their contacts then screwing the PCBs to the underside of the panel. Not only are there lots and lots of arcade games on Playstation but Playstation input can be converted to most other consoles' inputs via adapters including PC. Mame purists will point out that this is not as good as using the PS/2 input from an ipac but it's much much more versatile and just in case you never make the big step to PC Mame you can use a Wii (with Playstation to Gamecube controller adapters)as an inexpensive, simple, versatile device to push the cab. It won't have real light gun support but it can use a Wiimote as a crappy substitute.

Take all the hypernerd advice you're likely to get with a grain of salt as it's likely very few of these guys telling you the "right" way to do it have done it themselves and remember that even if you grow your cab organically and it's less than ideal, if you just have it functional even pushed by a Wii you can sell it for more than enough to fund a "proper" cabinet using the skills and knowledge you'll have gained through experience having fun with this one.
>>
>>3688406
The black nut won't unscrew.
>>
>>3688419
It's just a start button anyway
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.