[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good games for PS1 that don't drown you in fucking cutscenes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: vs-15.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vs-15.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
Good games for PS1 that don't drown you in fucking cutscenes or dialogue. I never owned a PS1 growing up, and it seems to me I wasn't missing out on much. Finally bought one and tried playing some games from friends' recommendations. Vagrant Story, FF8, Metal Gear Solid, 30 minutes after starting each of these games, I've experienced less than 5 minutes of fucking gameplay.

I generally like RPGs and stuff, but these seem REALLY dialogue/story heavy compared to most of my favorites, which were on the SNES. Do they get better later on, or should I cut my losses and try something else?
>>
>>3687649

Einhander
R-Type Delta
Arcade ports
RE1-3 get going pretty quick, Silent Hill also isn't exceptionally story-heavy.
SotN
Omega Boost
Tenchu 1
Wipeout series

Those are all the ones I can suggest that I've personally played.
>>
>>3687649
Vagrant Story has a slow start but once the game starts, the cut-scenes are generally infrequent and quite short
>>
Somewhat on thread..

What rpgs (jrpg/wrpg doesnt matter) that only has minimal story to it?

i played too many too long to care about another almost magical teenage boy saving the world.
>>
>>3687680

Grid based shit. Older ones usually only have a few screens of story and then its just dozens of hours of pure mechanics and gameplay until you hit the end.
>>
>>3687680
>What rpgs (jrpg/wrpg doesnt matter) that only has minimal story to it?

SaGa games.
No bullshit about magical teenagers saving the world either.
>>
>>3687680
>>3687696

And I also forgot to mention the Kings Field series (and Shadow Tower, too). Great games with very little story to get in the way of gameplay and atmosphere.
>>
>>3687649
>which were on the SNES
Which ones? the rpg formula didnt change a lot between systems, or are you just buttmad they are on a sony console?
>>
>>3687649
Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus
Armored Core

Vagrant Story really isn't all that cutscene heavy. It does involve entirely too much digging through menus, though, and the menus could be a lot better designed. I still love the game, but the menus make it a bit of a chore sometimes.

FF8 and MGS are both very cutscene/dialogue heavy throughout. If that's not what you're in the mood for right now, you should probably drop them.

>>3687657
Tenchu 2 is good too. Not quite as good as the first game, but still well worth playing.
>>
>>3687649
the ps1 was such cancer with cinematics and the shitty cgi.
>>
sounds like you want a saturn op
>>
future cop LAPD
any disney platformer
>>
>>3687649
The Ace Combat 3: Elecrtrosphere translation just got finished, and I've been having a blast.

Other than that, the gundam games are pretty good,Armored Core is fun too.

However of the games you mentioned I think MGS, doesn't really have too many cutscenes.
the beginning section has more of the to introduce you to the setting, but after you get into it you're given free reign.

Same goes for FFVII, VIII has a very weak starting point, and for most of the 1st disc and parts of the second you'll still be running into tutorials.
>>
>>3687745
FF 7 drops you into the action after like 2 minutes of cutscene, it's also one of the fastest paced RPG's I've ever played, so that would be a good place to start if you want to go the RPG route.

I'm gonna add to the Armored Core recs here, those games are amazing and were woefully underrated in their day (they've maintained a strong following though partly due to From Software's popularity). King's Field has also been mentioned.

A lot of ps1 shmups are excellent, I like R Type Delta, G Darius and Einhander the best.

Another really solid action game is Ghost in the Shell, it has cutscenes but they're gorgeously animated and brief. If you like the movie/show at all you won't mind them.
>>
>>3687649
Also check out speed power gunbike, it's a pretty cool racing action game?

Anyway it's easy to get into, but it gets really difficult later.

Also the Megaman Legends series is pretty fun, and if you're looking for a comfy winter game then that's definitely the one to play.
>>
>>3687649
>30 minutes after starting each of these games, I've experienced less than 5 minutes of fucking gameplay.
Two of them are fucking RPGs, what did you expect? Jumping like a red plumber right off the bat? Jrpgs are known for the first hour being very cutscene-heavy (and after the heavy start, still constant for a few more hours, then they become more shorter and less frequent). If you don't have ADHD then you could enjoy these games more and more in a steadly pace while you play, also, you did missed a LOT, ps1 had much more better games than N64 (which was exclusively a Nintendo and Rareware machine, 98% of third party sucked).
>>
>>3687789
>you did missed a LOT, ps1 had much more better games than N64
Sonyggers, everybody.
>>
>>3687808
He's right if we're going by sheer variety and quality.

the PS had not only jrpgs, but platformers, racing games, fighting games, open world adventure games, horror games, shooters, sports games, etc.
>>
>>3687774
>FF 7 drops you into the action after like 2 minutes of cutscene
Dude, it's something pretty characteristic of the series.

>FF2: Hopeless Battle against Black Knights
>FF3: Right inside a dungeon
>FF5: Meteor/Saving Reina and battling goblins
>FF6: Invasion in Narshe
>FF9: The great theather scheme in Lindblum
>FF10: Sin invasion in Zanarkand
>FF12: Reks in Nalbina Fortress (where he's killed)

Yeah, some games like 8 have a slow start, but just saying.
>>
>>3687825
Exactly, N64 had very few 10/10 games (mainly nintendo and rare), but PS1 had a lot of 9,5/10 games.
>>
>>3687825
I was making fun of his grammar more than what he said.

People claim PS1 had more variety, but 90% of everybody's "must play" list seems to be JRPGs.

>>3687783
>if you're looking for a comfy winter game
Sounds fun, but I'm always wary of games labeled as "comfy". Usually means they actually suck.
>>
>>3687836
>I'm always wary of games labeled as "comfy". Usually means they actually suck.
Megaman legends is a TPS with simple rpg elements.

you can travel around an island and go into dungeons looking for treasure.
It also features bosses with gimmicks and patterns like classic mega man

I actually haven't beat it, and I haven't played it in a while, but I really liked it.

the controls are archaic though, so you might wanna emulate with a controller.

I've heard the sequel improves on everything though.
>>
>>3687649
Play Xenogears, there is a good amount of dialogue in disc 1 but it's all action in disc 2
>>
>>3687826
Not whom you were responding to, but I guess I never thought about it, you do pretty much hop in to things pretty quick in FF games compared to most JRPGs.

More the reason why FF8 seems like such an odd FF title.
>>
>>3687649
You're a retarded faggot. Just play NES games if story bothers you that much
>>
>>3687649
Play Nectaris.
>>
>>3687698
>magical teenagers saving the world either.

Time travelling magic teens(well, 2 of them are good with magic) saved the world in SaGa 3 if I remember it right.

Asellus(she got ran over when she was a teen) from Frontier saved the multi-regions from the gayness of magic vampires...
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.