[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just started this last night, really enjoying it so far. Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: 16091-metroid-nes-front-cover.jpg (174KB, 800x1124px) Image search: [Google]
16091-metroid-nes-front-cover.jpg
174KB, 800x1124px
Just started this last night, really enjoying it so far. Does anyone know of a program or app that I can use to make a map for it? I like to do things on my own as much as possible instead of just going to GameFAQs or something

Also for the sake of discussion do you guys consider looking at maps for old games cheating? How about using walkthroughs?
>>
>>3686135
Back before the internet was really a thing, a lot of us drew our own maps for games on pads of graph paper. That was just a part of the journey for me and something that I really enjoyed. I hated to ruin anything for myself by looking things up in strategy guides, but you should play however you want to play with whatever free time you have.

Don't let anyone tell you you're cheating or doing it wrong, but I would recommend only looking something up if you're absolutely stuck. Keep in mind that with games like Metroid and Zelda in particular, part of the original experience was bombing and burning every spot to find all of the secrets.

You might be interested in a convenience hack like this.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/
>>
Use this thing called "paper" and "pencil"
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 640x904px)
image.jpg
99KB, 640x904px
>>3686180
thanks for the tip anon
>>
>>3686180
what is this you speak of? why would we use two devices of what i can only assume is of analog nature compared to our digital means right now.
i think some one is tryign to troll you right here OP dont listen to him.
>>
ice beam - wave beam - kill ridley - kill kraid - ice beam - kill mother brain

Kraid is the hardest area of the game dont make the noob mistake of going into it first like so many people do
>>
>>3686180
I don't have any and all the stores are closed now I already looked
>>
>>3686135
the game is 20 years old. If you don't have the map memorized already don't bother. Otherwise then just follow one from nesmaps.com
>>
>>3686339
This.
>>
>>3686339
It's tempting but I did that for LoZ and it took some of the fun out of it for me
>>
>>3686174

Is there something like this, except that it shows you only the parts of the map that you've been to? This hack gives you the whole map right from the start, which still feels a bit cheaty to me.

If there were a hack that used Kid Icarus's map system, that would be perfect. KI's map system is essentially the same as drawing your own map, except the game does the drawing for you.
>>
>>3686365
I think this one is what you want.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1974/

I believe the two hacks I posted aren't compatible with each other, so use this one on a clean ROM.
>>
>>3686351
Yeah, it's best to play Zelda with just the partial map that came with the game.
>>
>>3686180
What the fuck is that?
>>
>>3688642
And fill in the blanks? Actually that sounds really fucking fun. How big is the map for Zelda 1?
>>
Being brutally pedantic, isn't using pen and paper in a certain sense a kind of "cheating" also? It's using external equipment to achieve something. While there's no new information on there, memory is a part of games, as shoot-em-up gamers know well. Anyway pen and paper's just not my style
>>
>>3688928
Isn't using your hands to play the game also kinda cheating? After all they are an external part of the game, who is to say that's what the developers intended
>>
Grid cartographer might work
>>
>>3689021

Where did I say "an external part of the game"? I said "external equipment". Your hands are a part of you, they're not equipment and they're not external. It's assumed you have two of them. Except for games where there are special sections in the instruction manual for writing stuff about the game, for me it's not completely straight.
>>
>>3688886
It's 16 x 8 screens. Each screen has no more than one secret on it. This is the map that came with the game.
>>
>>3686135
If you play zero mission you get a map. And the super metroid interface
>>
File: Metroid Plus.png (14KB, 785x223px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Plus.png
14KB, 785x223px
>>3686135
Get the Metroid Plus patch.

http://www.metroid-database.com/fanapps/Metroid_Plus_0.2.zip
>>
>>3689710
That's what this >>3686174 is.
>>
>>3686135
>Also for the sake of discussion do you guys consider looking at maps for old games cheating?

Yes and no

I think a lot of games from back in the day encourage you to draw your own maps, or the instruction manual will come with a partially filled out map.

I've beaten a lot of those games without the use of a map before, so I figure coming back to them with a map after having already beat them once without one is excusable.

Also, these old games relied on "playground talk", kids sharing secrets to help each other further their progress, and since nobody gives a shit about retro games anymore, it's not really easy to get the information you need without it being handed to you on a silver platter.

Makes me wish searching for video game tips actually yielded tips instead of flat out walkthroughs. Maybe I just want to be told the smartest way to play the game without being told where to find everything.
>>
>>3686335
You gotta get the varia suit before going to kraid, it's a pain in the butt trying to lure the enemy into the right spot so you can freeze it, but it's worth it.
>>
I'm playing Metroid 2, just started it for the first time. Should I draw a map for it or is it needed?
>>
>>3688642

>tfw beat the game without a map, too dumb to make my own

Probably would have sped things up for me.

I've never made any significant progress in the second quest, thinking about mapping my progress through that when I get around to it.
>>
>>3689606

And none of the challenge.
>>
>>3689938

It's actually really linear, you probably won't need a map.

Just hunt down all the Metroids in one area, then the screen will shake, you go back to the main tunnel, and progress further downward.

I got lost in that game as a kid only because I didn't understand the objective of the game was to hunt down the Metroids one by one.
>>
>>3689945

muh artificial difficulty
>>
I hate myself when I resort to guides, but I don't blame people for using them when the game stops being fun.

They are scrubs though.
>>
>>3686180
not retro
>>
>>3686339
Agree with this. Don't get me wrong, Metroid's map is NOT complicated. It's just bullshit. Look at where you get the Varia Suit, or the passage to Ridley's lair. Not exactly what I'd hear anyone call intuitive.

Use a pre-made map. Unless for some morbid reason you enjoy shooting/bombing every single block you see.
>>
File: ech.jpg (231KB, 948x731px) Image search: [Google]
ech.jpg
231KB, 948x731px
>>3688928
Depends. Would you consider following the instruction manual's instructions more or less purist?
>>
>>3690295

>he
>>
File: 102040.jpg (17KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
102040.jpg
17KB, 480x480px
>>3686135
>>
>>3690295
BTFO
>>
>>3689606
And a comepletely different game.

>>3690062
Metroid 1 is the only game where I cracked and just used a map from the internet. I've mapped 80s dungeon crawlers on graph paper, I've beaten Metroid 2 a dozen times, but trying to map out Metroid 1 was totally joyless for me. It's also easier than I expected once you know where to go, easier than Zelda 1 imo.
>>
>>3690297
>>
You really don't need a map. Just explore and you'll learn the layout of the world as you go.
>>
>>3689563
That's not so bad. I'd just write down major landmarks.
>>
>>3689563
Can we stop spreading this version of the map with the torn out bit and the crease down the middle?
>>
>>3686135
Honestly, I personally believe that it's best to not use maps for this kind of games? I mean, few games test your terrain orientation nowadays, these days designers are shitting their pants worrying that a 12 year old will get lost in their Big Open World that they will LITERALLY draw glowing arrows on the ground so player will know where to go.

And I mean, terrain orientation is actually an important skill that will become useful in life. I mean, it's not like in modern times we live most of our lives in some sort of mazelike settlements, right?
>>
>>3690985
I just posted what I found in a quick search. Thanks for the clean copy.
>>
>>3691193
>mazelike settlements

That's what GPS is for. Unless you're talking about apartment complexes and stuff like that.

>>3690904
Yeah, Metroid's combat and platforming is way easier than most people seem to realize. I imagine they just get stuck running in circles (because of those bullshit hidden passageways) and die repeatedly.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.