[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

50/60hz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
How well are most pal region original playstation games optimised? I ask because I they don't look to be running any slower to me when I compare them to videos online. I had to mod my mega drive because I couldn't stand how slow it felt, especially how the music sounded, but all the music in ps1 games sounds as it should. I wondered if that was because I was playing it on fds mode on my ps2, but I'm not sure if that affects the actual game, or just load times.

I was going to play my Symphony of the night again, but then wondered whether I should download it instead as I'm fairly certain I've heard that it wasn't a game that was optimised well.

Is there any way to get pal games to run in 60hz?
>>
>>3684232
Short answer no

Long answer only if someone goes out of the way to hack the game, the hz the game runs at is in the games code.
>>
>>3684232
Game speed back then were dependent on the framerate, with some rare exceptions like Crash 2 where they manually compensated his run speed. I would stick with NTSC if possible unless the game is PAL exclusive.
>>
>>3684707
Some PAL versions are outright better.
Suikoden 2 has various bug fixes for example
>>
>>3684726
That might not have anything to do with technical tuning for the PAL specification, but because the PAL version released much later than the NTSC version giving developers extra time to ship in some game improvements.
>>
Depends if the game was optimized for PAL speed or not. Also depends if the game was optimized for full screen or not. Music speed was never a problem for 5th gen, but early 4th gen games and a number of 3rd gen games have slower music.

Both Rare and Naughty Dog optimized their games in for screen size and speed (except for Crash Team Racing's screen size). Nintendo for their N64 games began to optimize for full screen starting with 1080 Snowboarding I think, but they never optimized for speed in that generation. Sega were pretty good with full screen on Saturn, but game speed fixes were really inconsistently applied across their titles. Overall, I'd say the N64 and Saturn had more full screen PAL games than PS1.

Many PAL versions will have bug fixes owing to their later release date. Sometimes they may even have a bit of extra content here or there. At times they'll have a separate, perhaps better translation (e.g. Shining Wisdom the PAL version was translated by Sega themselves rather than Working Designs).

If lucky, some PAL games will actually run at a naively higher resolution than the NTSC version (rather than just upscale). Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are good examples.
>>
>>3684232
>American co-driver voices
I'll take PAL and Nicky Grist any time.
>>
>>3684685
'
If I remember correctly there were some PS1 boot discs that could force the system to boot the game in 60hz.
>>
>>3684946
That's a really bad idea tho
>>
>>3685024

Depends on the game id say, my buddy who has a 60hz modded PAL Saturn was playing PAL RE1 and the gameplay had not been properly 50hz modified so it was fine to force it into 60hz, but here's the strange part the cutscenes were 50hz optimized so the dialogue sound would be out of sync.

Seriously what a hack job piece of shit.
>>
>>3685034
>the strange part the cutscenes were 50hz optimized so the dialogue sound would be out of sync.
That reminds me of FFX which, as many people know, had one of the worst PAL conversions of all time.

But they still went to the extent of retiming ONE sound effect near the start of the game when Auron hands Tidus his sword. Literally a "minimum effect to ship it for PAL" conversion.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.