[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best psx/PSone model?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_2016-12-17-20-18-21.png (154KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-17-20-18-21.png
154KB, 540x960px
Long story short, some Vidya game store where I live is selling some old psx/ps1's that were repaired but never picked up by their owners. They have around a dozen or so consoles, and 3 of those are original psx's and the rest are various psone models, I didn't have time to check the model numbers, and since I know the story guy he's gonna let me take first pick on Tuesday before he starts selling them. Any notable models I should keep an eye out for? Again, I dont know what models he has and ive got no way to find out until I go to buy them since they have them in a box and the boss told them to not open it until they get controllers to sell them with (which come on Tuesday), so id appreciate a list of some notable models. I can only get one because alot of people want one so it's a one per customer type of shit. All I've seen online so far are the 1001 model which has skipping and overheating but the best sound chip. They all have new lasers and modchips to play backups.
>>
>>3684058
>but the best sound chip

Don't even bother unless you have an audiophile sound system and audiophile ears.
>>
The original model PS3 is the best for playing PS1.
>>
>>3684106
I dont have a ps3 nor do i want one, i want this for collecting purposes mostly Since i know ps2 can Run ps1 games just fine. Is psx > PSone? Any advantages in hardware in any model? Or just better asthetically?
>>
>>3684058
>>3684058
It's hard to know exactly how they repaired them. Cheap lasers from china? But if they're tested and working and play backups fine.. 5000/7000 for best of both worlds since you still get parallel port. psone for the best laser.
>>
File: koala.png (37KB, 131x124px) Image search: [Google]
koala.png
37KB, 131x124px
>>3684113
>collecting purposes
>>
>>3684058
Grab an original PS1 and a PSone. The small PSones fit in your backpack and are really cool.
>>
>>3684154
Yeah i would but its one per customer and i dont really have a credit card to buy one online. I'll just get the 5000 like someone said, I personally like the big look of the original
>>
Get the newest one you can, as the laser is more likely to still be good.

That "audiophile" model is nothing of the sort- it just had outputs that made it a good purchase as a CD player AND game player at the time.

Calling it the audiophile model is like calling the first PS3 the kino option because at the time it was cheaper than conventional bluray players, making it an attractive purchase.
>>
File: 1457216882157.jpg (21KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1457216882157.jpg
21KB, 640x426px
Here's the objective bottom line for anything relating to the Playstation's supposed audiophile grade DAC.

It was a thing back then. 20 years ago.
Technology moves forward, we have better DACs found in today's electronics now. That's it. Stop taking advice from your dads, because they don't ever move on.
>>
>>3684058
>the best sound chip
All PS1 models have the same sound chip.
The early models have a better DAC than the later models. But here's the thing. You don't need a fucking SCPH-1001 to have the best DAC, every model up to SCPH-5501 has the best DAC.

And that DAC? It's overrated. On quantiative metrics it rates barely "above average" for its time compared to proper CD players. Some audiophiles subjectively like it a lot, but audiophiles are fucking crazy man, they are probably wrong.

Best models are SCPH-5xxx and SCPH-7xxx.
>>
Collecting? Psone with the official screen, white memory cards, controllers, psone s-video cable, the car adapter and the carry bag.
>>
>>3684058
7500 if you care about action replay, 9000 if you not
>>
>>3684058
yeah the older one myght be better for piateing games than teh one
>>
>>3685414
SCPH-1001 do have build in RCA which is better to get audio compared to SCART so it isn't bad.
>>
>>3685690
Why does SCART have worse audio than RCA jacks?

Does SCART also have worse audio than S-video and composite on the AV-multi out?

Does SCART at least sound better than RF audio?
>>
OP here, ok so from what i gather the 1001 having audiophile tier audio is pretty much a meme, especially since im gonna play from a TV and someone mentioned that you need an audiophile type sound system so basically its useless. i do like the RCA cable input output though since it would be way easier to get some replacements but whatever.
and to the people suggesting PSone, i like the PSone but id much prefer the original psx bulky model, i kind of like that asthetic, so unless its got some kind of huge difference thats important ill try to pass on it. remember that ALL of the psx/ps1's that the store has have brand new lasers so thats not really a problem.
anyone that has the psx 1000-5000 just incase they have one of those models and not another one, is the skipping really that bad? and the overheating? is it possible to just prop it up on some books or something on the edges so it can vent from below?
i guess if they have the 5000 (5500 fixed the skipping and overheating from what i read) model ill just the the psone since those, from what i can see, are basically the "worst" models from the bunch since they have skipping, overheating, and no "unique" qualities like the RCA connector of the 1001, or the working quality of the 5500 onwards.

>TL;DR: apparently 1001 being audiophile tier is a meme, can someone tell me if the skipping/overheating issues on the 1001-5000 models are really that bad, whats so good about psone vs psx besides small size and LE LCD SCREEN
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.