[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Model 1 Sega Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Gen1HDG.jpg (375KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Gen1HDG.jpg
375KB, 1600x1200px
I recently purchased a Sega Genesis advertised as working off ebay, and it sort of works.
Whenever there is a controller plugged in, it starts pressing down and doesn't stop.
This happens in either port.

Do I need to buy a soldering kit?
>>
>>3683516
have you tried another controller?
>>
>>3683524
Yes, I tested the one it came with and a second one I bought. Both ports do it.
Also tried cleaning out the ports with a q tip but they seem pretty clean of dust or anything.
>>
>>3683516
I don't think a soldering kit will help you learn how to locate the correct thread to post in. Or learn you how to do anything for that matter. They're pretty useless unless you know what to do with them.
>>
Im going to have to agree that just because you own a tool won't mean you can properly fix it. BUT you may need one and a multimeter.
It sounds to me as if the "down" trace is grounding out. You would need to use the meter to check and then use it to find out where by probing the traces and pin. Then fix it.
>>
Just get your money back, or partial refund to cover the cost of fixing.
>>
>>3684871
>It sounds to me as if the "down" trace is grounding out
It seems unlikely that both down traces for both ports just happen to be grounded out.
>>
similar question, bought both a model 1 and a model 2 on different occasions
both power on and both display a visible black screen when powered on through rf, but when I boot up with a game there's nothing.
I've cleaned all my carts with a qtip dipped in 90% isopropyl, and did the credit card method on both models
Will buying composite cables fix this issue or am I fucked?
>>
>>3685308
Dont the ports converge on the Genesis?
Better suggestion?
>>
>>3685323
It can because the signal has to go through an rf converter and those can burn out because my super Nintendo stopped outputting rf but the composite works fine
>>
>>3683528
>qtip
Looks like you just permanently fucked your system
>>
>>3686204
?
>>
>>3686687
not this guy
>>3686204

But don't use a qtip to clean the controller port because it can leave some cotton behind which interrupts the connection to the controller which I assume might be what is causing the problem. Did it work before cleaning the ports?
>>
Op, you need to go out to a local hardware store and buy a multimeter. It doesn't have to be expensive. There are analog ones that are as cheap as $6-10 that will work.
Watch a couple YouTube videos on how to use it.
Then you're going to get a pinout diagram of the Genesis controller ports and check to see if the down pin is grounded.
If it is, open the console, being careful of the power indicator led wires short length and you will do the same thing inside on the controller port traces.
This is where you need to start.
>>
>>3686204
Looks like you're one of those kids who put a qtip in one ear and took it out the other and permanently fucked your system.
>>
File: 315-5309.jpg (36KB, 300x294px) Image search: [Google]
315-5309.jpg
36KB, 300x294px
Oh geez let me do all the leg work Senpi.
http://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=schematics:genesis_cpu_and_custom_chips.png
Now take a second to trace the controller ports...
See they goto IC5 which is a 315-5309
What does this chip do?.
http://md.squee.co/315-5309

Oh OKay.
So the chip at IC5 is borked, seems when polled it always returns down as active (high or 1)
Unless you happen to have a spare mega-drive or a tube of custom chips from the 90's it looks like you are still in the market.

Oh wait,
Heres your chip asshole:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Sega-315-5309-CPU-Integrated-Circuit-SMD-Mega-Drive-Genesis-/282001785027
Have fun soldering that..lol
>>
>>3683528
>I tested the one it came with and a second one I bought.
>Both ports do it.

Then the ports and controllers are unlikely to be the problem, and it's something deeper rooted.

I'm no expert, but a lot of the times I've heard about odd faults like this, the end solution ends up being replacing old capacitors.
>>
>>3687005
Refer to above posted schematic; i dont see any caps between the ports and the 315-5309.
>>
>>3687000
Nice sir.
>>
>>3687000
>Have fun soldering that..lol
Unless that guy is a retarded kid, he should be able to solder QFP IC.
>>
>>3688072

>>Do I need to buy a soldering kit?

Do I need to elaborate?.
>>
OP here. Turns out the second port works fine and I can play NFL 95 with it
Just seems like something is up with the first controller port, if something is plugged in it just presses down repeatedly.
I had saw someone suggest using a soldering iron to just reheat the areas because it may have cracked. I haven't found any visual guides on how to do it though.

The system was only $20 so shipping it back would not be worth it.
>>
>>3688940
I fail to see why you'd need a guide for something so simple.

>heat soldering iron
>apply to area until solder melts
>withdraw soldering iron
>check that cooled solder is shiny not dull
>?????
>PROFIT!
>>
File: 20161220_134408.jpg (410KB, 1200x1741px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_134408.jpg
410KB, 1200x1741px
>>3688954
I don't know the exact area, opened it up and cleaned it a little today but didn't take the metal cover off.
Also found a little metal M shaped washer looking thing that fell off something. System works without it though, didn't see what it was attached to.
>>
I found that I side my Genesis the first time I opened mine too. I never did figure it out...
Remove the RF shielding and look at the bottom of the board where the controller ports are. You'll see the solder points.
Lookup a video on how to reflow solder. And still get that multimeter.
>>
>>3690225
>i found that you're a huefag who into language.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.