[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me vros. Im going for a Saturn, thats ok. At first I didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: Saturn.png (335KB, 1183x413px) Image search: [Google]
Saturn.png
335KB, 1183x413px
Help me vros. Im going for a Saturn, thats ok.

At first I didn't gave a fuck about differences between models until I had both in my hands (I work in a retro console and other electronics workshop as apprentice)

I did prefer the first controller, I dont like the second one (no discussion about it, its my personal view, please go to the point.)

But I found that the V1 controller must be with the V1 console so, It started driving me craze (I can be a total moron)

Okay, besides thos silly thougts about going home with a new console, please, gime me advice.

Lets get serious, I have heard that V1 have more quality in general, but the V2 have a more advanced CD drive.

My boss will modify mine for a 60Hz and a PseudoSaturn out, so I dont need talk about region or shit.

Just get to the point. V1 vs V2 and why.

I dont really give a fuck about what's the oine what I want, but would listen some experiencied about what I'm about.

PD: Second question.. The Mega Drive II RGB cable is compatible with this one?

Thanks!
>>
>he fell for the Saturn meme

Hey you know what go right ahead waste your money
>>
dont waste your time. saturn has gotten stupid expensive. unless you plan on mod chipping its not worth it
>>
>>3681180
did you not see him mention PseudoSaturn? You play backups with that.
>>
>>3681032
Sounds like you should apprentice at your retro job for a few more days and learn at least the basics. You should probably be looking at a cheaper modded jap model anyway.
>>
>>3681172
>>3681180

I said that I will take it for free with 60Hz and PseudoSaturn. It's a worthy console because I like them all.

>>3681215

I just wanna play some Saturn, I have my whole life to learn.

>>3681182
Yeah, that's it. :D

What I want is to Saturn gamers telling me if V1 or V2 is the correct choice
>>
>>3681223
>What I want is to Saturn gamers telling me if V1 or V2 is the correct choice

They are both fine. They use the same hardware, it's just that they rearranged the chips on the board to be simpler to manufacture. Very very late model 2s also combined some chips but those did not cause any compatibility issues.
>>
>>3681032
Seriously just get a NTSC-J one and the pseudo saturn save yourself a tons of cash. PAL shit is always expensive as fuck except for MasterSystem and Mega Drive.
>>
>>3681032
I wouldn't get an NTSC-U Saturn you would be wasting your money if you plan on really playing
a lot of games on the system.
Get a Japanese system it's way cheaper for the games and luckily there are a ton of games you don't need Japanese for to play.
Also since it's the NTSC-J region the library it probably doubled since you get to have access to all those games that never got localized in the west.
>>
>>3681263
>>3681264
ntsc-j saturns look like ass with all the yellowing, and the usa models have a cuter bios splash on startup.

If you get it modded then you can play all games on it anyway, so at that point there's no reason to go for the Japanese model.
>>
>>3681270
>ntsc-j saturns look like ass with all the yellowing

Then you get a grey model 1 or a Victor Saturn etc.
>>
File: Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Console-Set.jpg (2MB, 3980x2280px) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Console-Set.jpg
2MB, 3980x2280px
>>3681270
what yellowing? i'm not seeing it.
>>
>>3681270
if it's yellowed at all, it'll only affect white ones. Grey, black, etc. are all fine.
>>3681032
firstly, please learn to write. Everything Reddit and your highschool English teacher taught you about double spacing is wrong. They only do that so they can write corrections in the margins. It's irritating to read and needlessly extends the length of your writing.

Next, you should really get the model 2 controller. It is absolutely far better than the original, and you'll notice once you use the d-pad thoroughly, the lack of convex buttons, and the general shape being pretty uncomfortable. As for the RGB cable, no, you need a Saturn cable. There is no major difference between the two types of Saturns - also you do not want pseudo saturn, you want pseudo saturn kai since it has a much larger range of compatibility. Frankly your boss should know this if he has any expertise in his retro shop.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (166KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
166KB, 1600x1200px
>>3681274
>>3681283
Grey models will yellow too. See picture. So will v-saturns.

Hi-saturns will get a lot of yellowing on their buttons which is a lighter colour, just not on the shell.

US units won't yellow because they are pitch black.

>>3681276
That's a photo of a unit in mint condition, of course it has no yellowing.
>>
>>3681223
You're not going to play any Saturn when you don't even know what video cable to use. A few days learning will actually let you play sooner. And save you money.

>>3681270
Then don't get a yellow one champ. Japanese ones cost a fraction of the price of US ones. Are often already modded. Again. Take a little time to learn your shit.
>>
>>3681980
>Then don't get a yellow one champ.

They all end up getting yellowed after some time, though.
>>
>>3682009
Well I have a bunch that say you're full of shit. And you can easily whiten them if you end up leaving yours in a smoke filled green house or something.
>>
>>3682342
And I have a bunch that say I'm right. Great argument isn't it?

>And you can easily whiten them if you end up leaving yours in a smoke filled green house or something.

The yellowing is caused by UV rays, not (just) smoke. And no, you cannot reverse it - retrobright is temporary and makes the plastic brittle.
>>
>>3682395
You bullshitting about having consoles isn't a great argument kiddo. Neither is you bullshitting about retrobriteā„¢.
>>
>>3681032
the equpiment on the right is superior. you're just dumb. the 2nd revision controller is the best of all time. the original controller wears out and feels like shit.
>>
>>3681032
a RGB cable or scart cable that works with genesis will work with Saturn as far as I know.
>>
>>3681032
dude run away from the temptation while you still can

just emulate
>>
>>3682748
>emulating
>saturn
emulate the classic xbox next lol
>>
>>3681180

Just stick to NTSC-J and you can a Saturn for about 1 USD.
>>
File: Picture%201.png (534KB, 893x563px) Image search: [Google]
Picture%201.png
534KB, 893x563px
>>3682717
>You bullshitting about having consoles isn't a great argument kiddo.

You are just butthurt that you don't have any Saturns while I have a bunch.

>Neither is you bullshitting about retrobriteā„¢.

Simple google search will tell you that retrobrite sucks.

>>3682747
>a RGB cable or scart cable that works with genesis will work with Saturn as far as I know.

Wrong, they have different a/v out.

>>3682749
You could emulate the Saturn for well over a decade now.
>>
>>3681172
>judging someone for just wanting a Saturn

Why are you even here
>>
>>3683317
Their comment about emulating the Saturn was because it's shit emulation. Especially the early years
>>
>>3683323
>Their comment about emulating the Saturn was because it's shit emulation. Especially the early years

Well in 2003 back when you only had Girigiri, sure. But SSF has gotten something like 80% of games perfect or with negligible issues ever since 2006-7. And by now you also have Mednafen, so there's no reason to say Saturn emulation is shit.
>>
>>3683325
Some people don't find that good enough. 80% working but not perfect, which can mean a myriad of things within that 80%, and 20% don't work. Seems like a good reason to get a Saturn if there's a number of games you wanted to play
>>
>>3683348
The games that don't work are useless shit like, say, Doom or NBA Live 98. And that's just for SSF from 2007, since then it got something like 50 updates, and you also have Mednafen now. I don't think there's still a Saturn game that isn't emulated.
>>
>>3683353
I'm not disagreeing with you, as I would just emulate it myself. There's just a viable counterpoint in that many on this board don't find it worthwhile to to deal with many games being in that state or having to research proper settings
>>
>>3683368
But you don't need to. Just set the emulator to max setting and play.
>>
>>3683317
>all my experience with saturns and retrobrite are from simple google searches
I'm sidehurt from laughing at you kiddo.
>>
>>3683368
playing on the original hardware is still plain better.
>>
>>3681980

I will have it with a composite cable.
I just asked because I already have a Mega Drive II Scart RGB cable
>>
>>3684295
Watch out when you say things like that, it's one of the things that will trigger all /vr/ autists.
>>
>>3681283

I dont like the shoulder buttons of the model 2 controller I feel more confortable with the model 1.

About double spacing. I do that because Im not done with this chan thing and I dont know how my post will look like until I press the Post button.
>>
At last, I repeat:

I will take a PAL console modified to 60Hz. And I just asked about V1 or V2 thats all, no japanisu, no JVC, Hitachi, and whatever.

My console will be a PAL with 60Hz mod and the PseudoSaturn all ready to play because I just wanna play. I dont buy games anymore I got tired of that.
>>
>>3681260

Thank you so much!. Thats the kind of info I want read.
>>
I have heard that later Saturns have a more modern CD drive. So I have been thinking about that because I will play CD-R like a monkey.

>>3684295
>>3684307
>>3684309
>>3684314

Those are my messages btw...
>>
>>3684298

Yeah well... I just want to play. I grown with N64 and PSX so composite cable is still more that enough for me.

I am very sorry about all that autists you're talking about, I think they are just complicating things.

Thanks for the advice anyway.
>>
>>3684319
They do, but unless you are interested in the technical part of calibrating the servo tracking, old drives will work just as fine as new ones.
>>
>>3684330
>>3684319
To be more precise, it is only the drive controller chipset that is slightly different. The laser pickup and most everything else is the same.

The difference isn't like in Playstations, where early models used a plastic caddy that deformed over time. Saturn drives are all rock hard, so don't worry.
>>
>>3684331
>>3684330

Thank you very much. When I have mine I will take some photos and we can start talking about games.

Thank you again.
>>
>>3684295
>i gone full on tard

>>3684298
>i am also an ignorant poorfag

>tfw I feel "not stupid guilt" for the first time.
>>
>>3685867
Using RGB has genuine disadvantages. You won't get dithering applied (many Saturn games relied on that for transparency), and depending on the cable you buy you may also have to deal with godawful audio noise, as well as the system always switching to widescreen mode due to the cable only having 5V inside.

Yeah, RGB is nice if you want to play "let's count the pixels", but if you just want to PLAY GAMES, composite will suffice.
>>
>>3685935
>dithering applied
>godawful audio noise on an RGB cable
You got sprite all over my screen kiddo.
>>
>>3685935
>le rgbfags don't play games meme

Nice

Epic

I like it
>>
>forgot that /vr/ even existed
>already bought a model 1 from a local shop for $70
>already have a modchip and an Action Replay on the way
Well, fuck. Oh well. It ended up being cheaper than any of the Japanese ones on eBay since they all had like $40 shipping on them.
>>
>>3685935
why are people like you always so retarded
>>
>>3688519
You need to brush up on that ebay hunting skills.

I got two NTSC-J Saturns for 0.01 USD and 20 USD for shipping.
>>
>>3688527
Gee, Bill! How come your Mom lets you have TWO Saturns?
>>
File: wellthatsthat.jpg (127KB, 812x540px) Image search: [Google]
wellthatsthat.jpg
127KB, 812x540px
>>3688531

I thought there would be a bidding war but I failed to notice that the guy unloaded 12 other Saturn auctions simultaneously.
>>
File: P1010310_zpsd1baf4fd.jpg (106KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1010310_zpsd1baf4fd.jpg
106KB, 1024x768px
>>3688531
>>
>>3688564
thats not how you're suppose to play with legos.
>>
>>3688564
Victor Saturn is such a cutie
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.