[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some fun RPGs that you rarely see talked about?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

What are some fun RPGs that you rarely see talked about?
>>
the fortress of doom
>>
Faxanadu
>>
>>3678341
For me there are certain FF-DQ games that never get discussed because of not being popular, and every general will shallow them.

Other than that, maybe Pokemon. From time to time you see big threads, maybe there are better boards to discuss the game. And of course Ultima.
>>
>>3678341
your pic related, live a live, treasure hunter g, grandia parallel trippers, great greed, radia senki reimei hen, magna braban
>>
>>3678393
Isn't that piss poor port of a good game?
>>
>>3678957
>maybe Pokemon
and for good reason
>>
>>3679049
No it's a standalone title. And it's good.
>>
File: romancing-saga-2-05-28-16-1.png (491KB, 585x415px) Image search: [Google]
romancing-saga-2-05-28-16-1.png
491KB, 585x415px
>>3678341
SaGa games have their own general but you'll rarely see them mentioned in JRPG discussions outside of those because they're not anime enough and barely anyone actually cares about JRPG gameplay. Besides those, there's Metal Max Returns, Inindo: Way of the Ninja (great if you like strategy games), Moon (PSX, untranslated) and Linda3 Again (same situation).
>>
>>3679227
SaGa games are usually too weird for the average joe who's more concerned with grinding and cutscenes.
It's also true that /vr/ isn't really much better than /v/ when it comes to actual game knowledge, 90% of the threads in this place are about the usual handful of twenty games, make any thread about something that is even a bit off the radar and you'll get ignored or called a hipster.

The SaGa threads are an exception to the rule, it's the only place on /vr/ where people end up talking about less known and less orthodox RPGs, though I guess that's due by the taste of the posters there, Metal Max is also appreciated and well known there.
Now that I think about it, most general threads talk about lesser games more than the entire board, even the STG threads with all their concentrated autism get out of their Gradius/Ikaruga/Radiant Silvergun comfort zone more often than the rest of the board when it comes to SHMUPS, even if just to bash on some arguably obscure Euroshmup.
>>
>>3678341
Mother 1
>>
>>3679345
More like Gradius/R-Type/Battle Garegga comfort zone, they hate Treasure over there.
>>
>>3679359
>they hate Treasure over there
Because the Treasure shmup is shit
>>
Treasure Hunter G.
>>
>>3679387
Got ya.
>>
>>3679359
>they hate Treasure over there.
They hate Treasure because it's not Cave.
Conversely, they hate Cave because it's not Treasure.
Nut none of this matters, only scores offer truth.
>>
Not much of a jrpg guy but for obscure I love the metal max series, especially metal max returns.
>>3679049
Faxandu is great, you might be thinking of a different game.
>>3679351
MOTHER is great but pretty well know.
>>
Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, there's tons of obscure asian RPGs that most westerners have never heard of
>>
>>3679607
Returns is one of those rare cases when the remake makes the original completely obsolete, Metal Max 2: Reloaded is the same, no reason at all to play the SNES original at all with such an incredible remake.

Though it must be said that Metal Max as a series never failed to deliver except for that Metal Saga DS spinoff which was pretty terrible, it is a series with real high standards, the two mainline games for the DS are some of the best RPGs of the last decade, just like all of the other games, Metal Max for the NES is pretty mindblowing and incredibly ambitious, Metal Max 2 on the SNES was everything MM was but more, MM: Returns just pushed the formula further and added great graphics and some kickass remastered soundtrack with some MM2 cameos.
>>
>>3679227
SaGa games are cool but they do have some questionable design choices, can be too open for their own good, and good god like 80% of them are unfinished
>>
>>3679724
I agree actually, Romancing Saga 1 and 3 for the SNES are subpar compared to the rest of the series for example. Frontier 1 is pretty obviously unfinished because they had to cut a playable character (Fuse) which was supposed to tie all the stories together, but it's a pretty good game still. As for non-/vr/, Unlimited Saga has the steepest learning curve ever but I actually think it's an awesome game, though.
>>
>>3679724
>and good god like 80% of them are unfinished
This is largely a meme, SaGa Frontier was the only one that got butchered and they removed a few planned segments from SaGa Frontier 2 because of various problems with the team swapping members and resources between SF2 and Legend of Mana, all the other games are as "unfinished" as the average RPG of the generations they belong to, cutting one or two quests due to time or budget oversights was the norm back then(and even now), FF or DQ did that too.
Shit, just look at Xenogears, Wild Arms 2, FFVIII, they're all unfinished and/or severly cut games.
>>
>>3679738
>FFVIII
Of all the FFs VIII is the least rushed of one. In fact they spent too much time and is the reason why Xenogears and Chrono Cross were severely cut because Square kept taking people off those projects and putting them on VIII. VII and IX are way more unfinished with VII being rushed out because they had no more money left and IX not even being a numbered FF until they realised that the PlayStation 1 was obsolete and it would be marketing suicide to put out a new IP on it and all of the main staff were working on the PS2 FF and the PlayOnline service
>>
>>3679797
>Of all the FFs VIII is the least rushed of one.
And it still was largely cut and unfinished.
You were supposed to be able to enter cities in the fourth disc for instance, but it all got cut so now you have a empty map with no real functional purpose.

Same with the lab with Bahamut and Ultima Weapon, and I also believe places like the Shumi village were supposed to have something more than just that one NPC with a good card to it.
Though again, most games are published unfinished even to this days so it's no real problem for me, SaGa Frontier is already better than most RPGs on PS1 while being butchered and rushed to hell, it is a shame that it got that treatment but it's in no way a bad game because of it.
It also needs to be said that Squaresoft might have had some of the most talented people in the industry, but their general management always sucked balls.
>>
>>3679717
I only have tried returns and 2, not retro really but you reccomend saga on ps2? Call me shallow but the more cutesy style kinda put me off.
>>
>>3679880
>but you reccomend saga on ps2
Absolutely, it's a huge timesink, there's so much content you won't know what to do with the game even after 60 hours in it because you'd probably still be at barely half of the content in terms of completion.

I have but one qualm with the game, the named characters, one of the many things I really like about MM is that you are basically a nobody, named characters in Saga all have their own backstory and even speak a lot, which I personally don't like opposed to the completely or mostly silent characters of other games, I just don't feel like the concept of unique characters clicks with MM's world and concept, but that's just my opinion.
Saga is another big step up from Returns in terms of mechanics and it kinda is part of the general continuity of the series, being more or less a direct sequel to MM/MM:R.
>Call me shallow but the more cutesy style kinda put me off.
Don't worry, I have the same kind of qualm, I can hardly bring myself to play a game if I don't like the designs of the characters, no matter how good.
I don't like the character design either but it's also the last game in the series with the classic Hunter design, all the other games changed it to a more Fallout-y design, which isn't bad, but I grew fond of the old MM Hunter design.

That said, it's a good game very worth playing through if you like Metal Max, the DS games are even better than Saga, and by better I mean A LOT better, there's an abyss in terms of quality.
>>
>>3679898
Thanks, sounds like something I'll like. I agree on the characters too, having real characters in something like MM seems weird but honestly you don't play them for the stories.

With the characters I really don't care for the designs or the art style but I'll deal with it. It's not like I hate cuter styles but for metal max it seems kinda offputting. Though looking at screenshots it seems like the monster design is still good which I'm happy about. I really loved seeing what weird shit you would find.
>>
>>3679717
Why no one gives a fuck about Metal Max Returns?
It's translated, has really good graphics and it's easy to play.
>>
>>3680015
>but honestly you don't play them for the stories.
I actually really like MM's stories, I think it's one of the better RPGs when it comes to narrative, worldbuilding and continuity even.

It's true that there's almost no real main story to speak of, with the exception of MM3 and 4 I guess, but the worldbuilding and atmosphere is great, you wander around in a Mad Max setting with tanks, modified bikes or supercars with a shitload of heavy weaponry attachments and kill mutated monsters, cyborgs and crazy shit like giant sharks fused with U-Boats or Cyborg Mariachis with rocket launcher guitars all the while exploring and looting old underground tunnels, crumbling skyscrapers or old laboratories full of zombies, and each location even has its own story and part in the general lore, not to mention all the NPCs with their own stories struggling in a world where everything is out to kill human beings.
The non linearity and freedom of exploration also adds to it, in MM2 you can skip or not even be aware of the Brad Museum which gives very subtle clues and lore to the whole continuity through a AI hostess voice and also foreshadows who's going to be the last big boss of the game and also the responsible of the great catastrophe in MM and Noa's going haywire, all of this without a single story cutscene, you have to recompose the puzzle yourself by exploring and reading old memos, checking old computers and finding secrets.
Then you see how the NPCs in the world all have their stories, like those old survivors in the communication tower in MM:R that think that the orbital strikes from military satellites are some kind of heavenly punishment, old man Bihab and his wife reenacting Moby Dick with the U-Shark in MM2, the poor girl selling mosquito coils in Shelter for a living in MM3(and the whole batshit crazy Alamo=Jack story in there), it makes the world feel so alive and vibrant.
>>
>>3680083
>Why no one gives a fuck about Metal Max Returns?
Because most people don't care about anything that deviates from the norm, same reason why series like SaGa aren't successful in the west and Metal Saga bombed harder than even SaGa games.
When you say things like a post apocalyptic RPG where you drive pimped up tanks, have a cute shiba dog with a bazooka mounted on it, no magic bullshit and non linearity most people simply don't care and think that it's too "random", they prefer their FF or DQ with cinematics, eye candy and watered down gameplay, if something isn't a renowned multimillion cashcow it's a game that isn't worth playing to them, /vr/ isn't any better than this, if you prefer stuff like Metal Max you often get called a try hard hipster because LMAO only weebs play slightly obscure JRPGs.

In any case, there's a few people here that actually like to play games, give it time, eventually more and more people will play Returns and those who like it will ask for more, like in this thread.
Dark Law is another nice minor little game only a handful of people have played, all we can do is spread the word and hope someone will listen.
>>
>>3678957
pokemon has it's own board
>>
File: robotrekevilisjob.jpg (6KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
robotrekevilisjob.jpg
6KB, 256x223px
Robotrek is probably the least talked about SNES RPG that actually got an American release.

The translation is kinda fucked and the story is nonsensical at points. Also the difficultly curve is really wonky. Still, it was one of my favorites as a kid.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.