[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best retro game magazine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19

File: 20150906_216.jpg (223KB, 1041x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20150906_216.jpg
223KB, 1041x1280px
What is the best retro game magazine?
>>
Comptiq
>>
>>3678156
Gamest.
>>
>>3678156
Official Euro PS magazine
>>
File: 307858.jpg (191KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
307858.jpg
191KB, 1200x900px
Latin american Club Nintendo.

They didn't just focus on Nintendo games, also included articles about arcade gaming (that's where I remember I first saw Darkstalkers, a series that was never on Ninty systems). It also included articles about game development, I have an issue with a long ass article on Assembler.
And overall the design of the magazine was really cool. I don't know how similar this was to the US Nintendo Power, never read that one.
>>
File: 16.jpg (94KB, 248x320px) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
94KB, 248x320px
>>3678482
Covers remind me of Gamefan, always my forever favorite mag. Pages full of pictures all printed on nice paper and a emphasis on hardcore and niche games for back then.
>>
File: Sega_Saturn_Magazine_Issue_32.jpg (221KB, 300x415px) Image search: [Google]
Sega_Saturn_Magazine_Issue_32.jpg
221KB, 300x415px
>>3678156
Read all of these this year. Loved all the arcade coverage and interviews.
>>
File: IMG_1268.jpg (33KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1268.jpg
33KB, 600x750px
Next Generation
>>
File: n64_magazine.jpg (1MB, 2616x3237px) Image search: [Google]
n64_magazine.jpg
1MB, 2616x3237px
N64 Magazine (UK) was probably the funniest
>>
File: fatboy.png (382KB, 495x364px) Image search: [Google]
fatboy.png
382KB, 495x364px
always bet on australia baby
>>
the ones i jerked off to
>>
Tips and Tricks was my jam

All business
>>
>>3678721
The British Sonic magazine asked a kid if he had a foot fetish because he wanted to see Sonic without his shoes.

That kid probably submits a looooot of Sonic art to Inkbunny
>>
>>3678721
That's just rude. Can't enjoy it if I don't know the guy isnt in on the joke
>>
>>3678741
Sex Sells
>>
GameFan without question
>>
>>3678802
>TFW Scottish
>>
No mention of Tips & Tricks? No industry news, just cheat codes, back when they were relevant.
>>
EGM was my favorite. Game Players was great too.
>>
>>3678832
I never bought that, I used to go to the library and copy the cheats out of there. Always got better stuff off the internet though especially as far as gameshark was concerned.
>>
File: 1344278910411.jpg (119KB, 807x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1344278910411.jpg
119KB, 807x1023px
What do you guys look for in a good video game magazine? I wonder because this must be different for everyone, when every magazine covers the same thing. And there's no other reference point since it only applies to vidya. Movies don't have dedicated movie magazines for instance.

So what stands out to you when determining that they're good?
>>
>What is the best retro game magazine and where can I find an archive of it?

ftfy, OP
>>
>>3678930
Today nothing when I have the internet and I don't play modern games.

When I was younger and I didn't have the internet it was pictures, lots of pictures, so I was partial to gamefan. Also loved it because it covered anime and import games too. As a teen I was subscribed to PSM, a fun rag that I enjoyed for the fluff pieces.
>>
>>3678156
Nintendo Power was the best gaming magazine of all time.
>>
Where can I dl some magazines?
>>
>>3678156
EARLY Nintendo Power (no later than circa-1991)
EARLY GamePro (through... let's say circa-1994)
that codes/cheats magazine that I can't remember the name of
Vidiot
>>
>>3679204
What the fuck is this about a "circa 1991" for NP bullshit? I'd say they were good until 2006. By 2008 they were turned over to Future Inc. publishing and the mag went to shit as a result, coupled with the droughts of the Wii years with fuckall to cover (They seriously toted Sonic and the Black Knight as an exclusive scoop once) and hiring noob writers.
>>
>>3679176
retrowith.in
>>
>>3678930
>movies don't have dedicated movie magazines

Uh, yeah they do. All forms of media do.
>>
>>3679990
Not movie EXCLUSIVE. It always comes jumbled with TV shows, books, or celeb stuff.
>>
>>3680101

Let's be real, movies and TV are the same fucking medium
>>
>>3679617
this isn't a real link. the last time i was on the UG refugee irc and message boards RW wasn't still wasn't a thing as far as i could tell. Is there something i don't know about?
>>
>>3680145
Either you watch only movies or watch only TV shows. Which is it?
>>
File: fangoria_zombie_8_cov.jpg (566KB, 1185x1600px) Image search: [Google]
fangoria_zombie_8_cov.jpg
566KB, 1185x1600px
>>3678930
>Movies don't have dedicated movie magazines for instance.
Just because you never read them doesn't mean they don't exist.
>>
Gamesmaster used to be really funny in the early-mid 90s. And Total.
>>
any website where i can read old gamer magazines?
>>
>>3678713
thats my opinion and also my picture
>>
>>3678713
>>3680265
What do guys have against Next Generation anyway?
>>
>>3680294
i liked next generation
>>
>>3680297
But why the fedora image?
>>
>>3680254
NEXT GEN:
https://archive.org/details/nextgeneration?sort=-downloads

Random scans of mags:
https://www.retromags.com/

If you're looking for a particularly rare or foreign magazine:
https://issuu.com/
>>
File: empire-batman-issue2.jpg (273KB, 600x775px) Image search: [Google]
empire-batman-issue2.jpg
273KB, 600x775px
>>3678930
>Movies don't have dedicated movie magazines for instance.

You should really feel bad for saying something so wrong and stupid. Sorry, buddy.
>>
>>3680345
>Three months in Gotham with a shocking new Batman
Michael Keaton's Batman must've been pretty hardcore back then to everyone used to the campy Adam West version, yet all I can think of nowadays is the fact that he can't move his neck.
>>
>>3678832

>No industry news

Did you only buy their special editions with the codes and puzzles? Because their normal issues had industry news and covered upcoming games (even import stuff).
>>
>>3680232

I watch both. They're different formats but they're the same medium.
>>
Official Dreamcast magazine or Saturn magazine are favorites. Old gameinformer and tips and tricks were great as well.
>>
>>3680827
>Old gameinformer
yeah buddy
>>
>>3678156
Late 80s/mid90s gamepro was alright.
>>
>>3680827
>>3681239
Wasn't Game Informer always a glorified ad for GameStop/Funcoland?
>>
>>3678156
dude MGS was so damn hype
tell me the neck snappy thing wasn't hype AF
>>
>>3678802
Is this the reason why videogames weren't popular among girls?
>>
>>3678930
When i was a kid and Pokemon was a new thing, i wanted to know everything about the game. There was this magazine in my country, "Nintendo Acción", which served a supplement about Pokemon, and i used to buy the magazine just for the pokemon supplement.

It is a shame, i used to read about other games and never bothered about them. Only recently started to dive into the retro world. I'm sure i could have more fun playing FF or Zelda than Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter's Night.
>>
>>3680154
It is a real link, it's just a trick they use to make it look like it's not real. Try going to the retrowith.in IRC and explaining your situation, you might just get lucky and find yourself inside while they still have freeleech going.
>>
>>3681516
Thanks anon. I just jumped into the invites channel.
>>
>>3681374
Not really not from like '99-'05 it might have an ad for it here or there but it wasn't obvious I didnt even know gamestop owned them until 2010.
>>
>>3679058
Official Dreamcast magazine has an archive of every issue.
>>
Is there a good site to read old vidya mags?

Psm was the best. Their reviews were usually spot on.
>>
>>3678713
Hated these faggots so much.

So many shit reviews of sprite-based games simply because the graphics weren't 'cutting-edge' enough for them. If they weren't being funded by Bernie Stolar himself, they were certainly on his cock.
>>
whatever happened to Bill Donahue, Chris whatever his name was and all those guys anyways
>>
Gamepro
electronic gaming monthly
>>
>>3678720

I remember getting that magazine at book stores. Why were UK mags so fucking large?

My go-to magazines were always EGM, EGM2/Expert Gamer, OPM, and Gameplayers/UGP/PSM.

>>3682314

Bill is still probably Bill. Wonder what he thinks of Trump.

Chris Slate is working for Nintendo of America.
>>
>>3678156
anyone have any torrents for old nintendo and psone mags?
>>
>>3678489
I loved this magazine! I bought every issue, every month, for years. Even their bizarre failed spinoff titles. in fact, whenever Dave Halverson starts a new magazine, I will buy them. I miss Gamefan, so much. I wish there were a way to find old issues, online
>>
>>3682295
Yeah fuck progress!
>>
>>3678930
Multiple reviewers reviewing the same game to give different perspectives. That's pretty much the main reason I preferred EGM over everyone else even if they gave some really dumb reviews at times.
>>
>>3682295
Game Players had the same anti-2D snobbery. I remember they gave fucking Toshinden a 98% and Alpha 2 less than a 90%.
>>
>>3682638
Their Yoshis Island review is legendary.
>>
>>3682515
Gamefan was indeed the shit. Envy you, wish I had subscribed to it back in the day. Second this if there's an archive out there of issues
>>
>>3678156

In regards to the FAIREST REVIEWS, informative and engaging general content, funny editorials/reader mail section and quality design production...PSM!! PSM!! PSM!!

Best overall package 4 a reasonable cover price.
>>
>>3682892
>Envy you, wish I had subscribed to it back in the day.
Their subscription service was horrible to be honest. My local video games retailers would often get the latest issue before I did, which kinda defeated the point of subscribing to them in the first place.
>Second this if there's an archive out there of issues
There's a few of the early issues scanned in some archive. I'll post it here if I remember it.
>>
>>3681374
The older crew were funny and informative. During the early days of Gamestop, when they were actually a good business because they needed to attract customers, they still handled the magazine well after acquiring Funcoland. It was around the time of the EB acquisition (03-04, if I remember) that they really dipped into shit country on all fronts.
>>
>>3680750
Go home, child.
>>
>>3678156
Game Pro
>>
>>3678802
I fapped to this.
>>
File: Splay.jpg (121KB, 305x400px) Image search: [Google]
Splay.jpg
121KB, 305x400px
Super Play!
>>
Good old Nintendo Power, yeah it was an official shilling magazine but it was also ridiculous and just... fun.
>>
Diehard Gamefan no contest. They even had early anime reviews and offered to import japanese titles long before they were released. I first heard of Goldenboy and Evangelion from this magazine back when they first aired in Japan. Every reviewer had this crazy persona avatar that really let you know what kind review you were going to read. Their opinions were incredibly unfiltered and raw compared to the more tactful magazines of the day. Too bad the owner is a big jerk and actively takes down any attempt at uploading scans of the old magazines to this day. It hasn't been published in a decade and the guy has nothing better to do.

They also did hentai reviews and there was near nudity in the pages
>>
>>3688695
>Game magazine talking about how good 60fps feels in the mid 90s
>>
>>3688704
I loved their big multi opinion super review pages
>>
>>3688710
You could order a copy of FF7 before it came out. You would be the coolest kid on the block.
>>
I thew away all my magazines in the early 2000s because I was sure someone would scan them and upload them in digital form someday.

some day
>>
>>3688794
If they weren't too obscure I'm sure they'd be out there somewhere.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.