[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's the PlayStation piracy scene in your country back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

How's the PlayStation piracy scene in your country back in the day?

Indonesian here, there's lots of Winning Eleven hacks from our country (pic related - and you thought only South Americans only do that) and there's a group who managed to translate a Harvest Moon game to our language.
>>
>>>/int/
>>
UK here.
i dont know anyone who didnt have a chipped ps1 growing up.
everyone had one, and everyone knew a bloke who'd give u a list of games, and charge £5 per game.
i actually had a modded ps2 as well from the same fella, but sold it a while back
>>
We had a couple kids who would rent every game they could from blockbuster, make copies of them, then bring a big cd case full of burned games to school. any game you want for 5 dollars.

I got tons of great games off them till they got suspended and stopped doing it. CD burners were still expensive as hell at the time so I couldn't do it myself.

Southeast USA.
>>
Were modchipped ps1's common in the USA back then? I imagine they could all just ask their parents for legal games for christmas so they might not have needed such a thing.

Where I lived though, a ps1 that wasn't chipped was pretty much considered a brick that could only play whichever demo disc you had lying around. And you could always buy pirated games at the nearest cyber.
>>
>>3677827
In most places in the US I'm sure most people just purchased their games.
I grew up in an indian reservation (think of a 3rd world country just sitting in the middle of the US) so I had to mod my playstation to ever get to play any games.
>>
Visiting family back in Trinidad, PS1 piracy was pretty much standard, especially since games were fucking expensive.

>>3677770
this was extremely common
especially around '99 or so, when CDs and burners finally started to get within ordinary person range

>>3677827
I don't know about chips where I lived (northeast PA), people did disc swaps.
>>
>>3677758

Hell even retail stores sold chipped consoles under the desk for years before Sony caught on, I remember getting one at Electronics Boutique for like £10 extra. Never found many cd-r copies for sale though, just a pack of 20 Net Yaroze games one time.
>>
Until recently it was common to find PS1 games dime-a-dozen.
The only thing that changed is the system, it moved to PS2 now.
>>
>>3677743
Poland here

We had Polish translations made by Russian students for Red Alert 2, Legacy of Kain, GTA2, Driver
COMPLETE WITH FUCKING DUBBING.

some exemples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmh5Qmv0qXM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMogyMGfD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VAgaO7kOvc
>>
>>3677902
shame most of the good titles have gone though.
when ps1 titles were still abundant, i used to go to bootsales and find a few spyros or crashes every week, always resi's as well, and few other valuable games. alot of crap too ofc.

but with ps2, theres far less out there comparitively.
>>
>>3678056
Yep, here in Brazil, every other counterfeit PS2 title is just a reskinned Pro Evolution Soccer.
>>
File: GTA Rio De Janeiro.jpg (86KB, 750x1050px) Image search: [Google]
GTA Rio De Janeiro.jpg
86KB, 750x1050px
>>3678078
Don't forget this.
>>
>>3678084
>>3678078
i used to be able to go to charity shops and find good stuff too.
those days are long gone. i am so sick of seeing wii play and fifa 07.
should you come across a ps1 game 99.99% of the time it is who wants to be a millionaire, or the weakest link.
the days of finding good stuff out in the wild are truely gone, its a shame, but was bound to happen.
>>
Russian here.
Lots of hacking/translation groups with translation quality that varied from "unplayable" (some important information cut, game is glitched, so on) to "passable".
Finding games with original text left intact was a huge challenge, especially in late years. Downloading, burning and exchanging game discs is how I got into local game and anime community.
Consoles were chipped, I have never seen anyone to do a swap.
>>
>>3677758
>>3677886

Scotfag here, PSX chipping and pirate games were relatively common at car boot sales, as I recall. There was one guy I very distinctly remember who was offering to chip systems there and then at his stall at one near Edinburgh, he had a chipped system hooked up to a telly running a pirate copy of Ninja Shadow of Darkness to draw people in.

You can still find chipped systems really easily on eBay as well and they tend to run cheap, like £30 or so.
>>
File: emílha.png (115KB, 328x442px) Image search: [Google]
emílha.png
115KB, 328x442px
>>3678084
>Varig
>>
>>3677743
>there's a group who managed to translate a Harvest Moon game to our language.
Breath of Fire IV was also translated. Actually made some of my pleb friends play an RPG.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.