[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Nintendo keep pretending this was a good game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: UrbanChampion.jpg (795KB, 1528x2100px) Image search: [Google]
UrbanChampion.jpg
795KB, 1528x2100px
Why does Nintendo keep pretending this was a good game?
>>
It's fun if you have a friend that's willing to play it with you. It's an absolute blast at parties.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
39KB, 480x360px
superior nes fighting game
>>
File: 250px-Joymechfight_boxart.png (161KB, 250x357px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Joymechfight_boxart.png
161KB, 250x357px
>>3677242
True, but that's not Nintendo developed or NES exclusive.

For a better Nintendo-made fighter, there's this.
>>
>>3677113
Are you that autistic Urban Champion anon who is the only one who "notices" how much Nintendo panders to Urban Champion (Which is a whopping 3 instances)?
>>
>>3677259
hey, this game is pretty cool
thanks
>>
Was there any game before Urban champion that was about beating up guys on the streets?

I know some anons on here are obsessed with finding obscure games that "did it before Nintendo", so I'm positive you can help me.
>>
>>3677625
Hard to say really, because it was 1984 and Famicom came out only a year before. So there might still exist some Atari or arcade game where you technically fight on the streets.

But that said, HG101 does have a pretty informative article on pre-SFII fighters, and it has no mention of anything of the sort: the games before UC like Karate Champ or Karateka weren't set on the streets. Wikipedia article on beat 'em ups also doesn't mention anything like it; but then again, it doesn't count Urban Champion as beat 'em up as well (or it simply doesn't mention the game).

Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun (which was brought to the West as Renegade) came out in 1986. Double Dragon came a year later, and is often credited for making "street fighting" popular in games.

So technically Urban Champion might as well be one of the first games where you fight on the street… But few if anybody really think of it as an important game. The consensus on it seems to be mixed or more like negative—at least in the Western press.
>>
>>3677113
Maybe because it was one of the earlier games produced for the system, and Nintendo cherishes it as a part of their history. I mean, it came out before SMB. I can't find its sales figures, and it hasn't sold a million copies; but it might have been a hit in Japan. Or maybe it's simply because it was produced by Shiggy.

Still, Urban Champion was not that bad of a game. It simply aged horribly. Itself, it was an adaption/took an inspiration from a Game & Watch game Boxing, or Punch-Out!. So it has this really primitive feel to it.
>>
>>3677113
Wish they'd give more love to Mach Rider and Clu Clu Land.
>>
>>3677728
Game was produced by R&D2, not EAD and the project was developed by PAX Softnica.
>>
>>3677259
>patrician taste detected
>>
File: NES 1st party.jpg (4MB, 2222x4578px) Image search: [Google]
NES 1st party.jpg
4MB, 2222x4578px
>>3677773
Also, a heads up about who did what.
>>
It was an interesting idea and was very unique at the time, yeah it aged like shit. But it's still a significant game in the early NES library.
>>
>>3678221
Looks like it pretty much predated a lot of features we see in today's fighters, like high/low blocking. But of course today it feels more like a mini-game or an engine test than anything.
>>
>>3677268

Someone got triggered in another thread by a comment about how it was stupid to lead the "3D Classics" line with Excitebike and Urban Champion, so they made two separate threads about it.
>>
>>3678209
>tfw GameFreak will never make a non-Pokemon game ever again
>>
>>3678863
Uhhh....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/454410/
>>
>>3678863

Didn't they make two non pokemon games very recently? As in the last three years?
>>
File: really dude.png (131KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
really dude.png
131KB, 512x512px
>>3678221
>it aged
>>
>>3678871
Ajeet? I think they missed a letter.
>>
File: 1480718524259.png (179KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
1480718524259.png
179KB, 500x358px
>>3678871
>early access
every time
>>
>>3678872
They made that one rhythm game which was okay i guess but it wasn't anything amazing

Game Freak is the Bungee of japan, they can only make one game well that sells amazingly and everything else they try shouldn't have been done in the first place
>>
>>3679114
What about HAL?
>>
>>3679114
>they can only make one game well

That's debatable.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.