[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did this thing have any challenging platformers? All of them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: 250px-SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.jpg (6KB, 250x130px) Image search: [Google]
250px-SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.jpg
6KB, 250x130px
Did this thing have any challenging platformers? All of them seem much easier than comparable nes games.
>>
File: umiharakawase-cover.jpg (269KB, 1900x1050px) Image search: [Google]
umiharakawase-cover.jpg
269KB, 1900x1050px
Knock yourself out kid
>>
>>3676610
many
>>
>>3676610
>All of them seem much easier than comparable nes games.
There is a certain correlation between challenging and lack of good hardware to make a good game.
>>
>>3676610
Did this board ever have any useful threads? All of them seem much more stupid than comparable /v/ threads.
>>
>>3677026
24 hours after it's initial creation was when /vr/ was at its best, and it's been a slippery slope since.
>>
File: super_star_wars.jpg (302KB, 640x452px) Image search: [Google]
super_star_wars.jpg
302KB, 640x452px
Super star wars on "jedi" difficulty level.

The super star wars series were some of the bets non-RPGs on that system.
>>
>>3677594

Empire I seem to recall was the hardest of the trilogy, especially the hoth levels. ROTJ was only really hard when you are escaping the death star from what I remember.
>>
Post proof that you're actually a good player, OP. Post your WR on any game, with proof, then I might bother recommending challenging games to you.
>>
File: 250px-GhoulsSNES_boxart.jpg (15KB, 250x171px) Image search: [Google]
250px-GhoulsSNES_boxart.jpg
15KB, 250x171px
>>3676610
>>
>>3676625
>kid
I'm 28. I grew up with an nes but missed out on snes.

>>3676878
Care to provide some examples? So far I've played megaman x, castlevania 4, SMW, and adventure island and was able to beat each one of them with (relative) ease shortly after picking them up. So far their snes precursors have been much more difficult.

>>3676997
Care to elaborate? I thought this may be the case in some instances, but how do you explain nes games with already good controls that are still much more brutal their snes younger siblings (megamans and adventure islands come to mind). Or perhaps with the growing popularity of home console games Nintendo deliberately wanted easier games?

>>3677026
Though I was specifically curious about the topics above, I was hoping this thread could serve as a place to discuss nes/snes (or even 3rd/4th gen) platforming in general. Now even though I've been playing games all my life, I am admittedly new to retro gaming culture, so perhaps this topic has been exhausted here and all of my questions are common knowledge to you guys. Be this the case I will kindly cease from posting and lurk more.
>>
>>3677594
>>3677602
I'll check these out, thank you.

>>3677603
What's WR?

>>3677629
Okay I figured this one might be an exception, I'll definitely trying pick it up too. Thank you.
>>
There's always PLOK
>>
>>3676625
He asked for super nintendo not super famicom
>>
Give Actraiser 2 a shot
>>
File: umihara.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
umihara.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>3677680

>change plastic carcase
>it's suddenly a super nintendo game

like magic
>>
Hagane
>>
>>3676610
There are none. Snes was when they began dumbing shit down for casuals and its only been exponentially increasing in that regard

Compare something like SMB3 to SMW and the latter is a babycake piece of crap showering you with broken powerups and 1ups, flying over entire levels.
>>
File: 1465519827606.jpg (35KB, 312x123px) Image search: [Google]
1465519827606.jpg
35KB, 312x123px
>>3679221
>muh casuals!
>>
>>3679221
SMW is easier because Mario's physics are more fluid. And it's a better game overall.
>>
>>3679439
no dude, Mario 3 throws the fuckin gauntlet at you
nothing in SMW is even that bad compared to what they could've done
>>
Congo's Capers
>>
>>3677690
Hagane is pretty short and easy though, it only gets hard in the second loop where enemies have double health.
Nice game though.
>>
>>3676610
Hagane.
>>
Lion King, I finally beat it.
>>
>>3677679
>>3677684
>>3677690
>>3679481
>>3679773
Awesome, thanks guys. Fortunately most of these look relatively affordable by snes standards. Maybe I'll buy a repro hagane.

>>3680346
Congrats anon. I had this one growing up but on sega and was never able to beat it until much later
>>
>>3677658
>Care to elaborate
Megaman is a good example IMO. There are going to be multiple theories on this, and I think they all play a part.

First is the question: what is a game supposed to be? Is it supposed to be difficult, first and foremost? Or should fun be a priority? I think as time went on, devs concentrated more on making games fun and rewarding to the player. You encounter a difficult obstacle, you die. In newer games, you respawn an infinite number of times immediately before the obstacle. In old games, you start the level from the beginning. If you respawn right at the obstacle, the player gets to cut through and concentrate on solving or gaining the skill to get past that point. Arguably, forcing the player to start over from the beginning adds nothing to the experience other than frustration (or perhaps adding to the reward when you finally beat it). I think finding the balance between all these things is what made people like Miyamoto so famous.

The other factor is the technical limitations. Why did some of the NES Megaman games require near pixel perfect jumping? Maybe the hardware was so limited that this was the only way to make the game challenging. On the SNES and beyond, there was more memory and sprite pushing ability to make the game challenging in other ways.
>>
Try Tintin in Tibet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGrqL1weSKs

It's so hard you can't believe it
>>
>>3682512
If you buy one buy it from China. Don't support the rape of donor carts. It's way cheaper anyway.
>>
>>3684129
Whoa. I didn't even know it was a thing.
>>
>>3684392
For some specific games it's the only way you're ever going to be able to play it on real hardware, i.e. Starfox 2. But for the vast majority of games it's just ruining perfectly good carts for nothing. The Chinese make brand new carts though and they'll even put any rom you want onto a cartridge if you ask the sellers on aliexpress.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.