[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lately I pretty much only play old point-and-click adventure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13

File: sierra2.jpg (22KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
sierra2.jpg
22KB, 640x400px
Lately I pretty much only play old point-and-click adventure games.

So far, I've beaten:

>Day of the Tentacle
>The Secret of Monkey Island
>Myst
>Flight of the Amazon Queen
>Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
>Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

I have never played another game as funny as Day of the Tentacle in my life, ever. What other games of this genre should I play? Are there any others as good (as far as puzzles and as far as humor) as DotT?

Monkey Island is in second as far as how funny it is.
>>
>>3674214
Make sure you try Grim Fandango some time too. The Quest for Glory series is one of my favorites, but it's not focused on humor and I suppose it doesn't compare all that well to the Lucasarts stuff.
>>
>>3674235
>Grim Fandango
Been meaning to.
>Quest for Glory
I'll try them out sometime.
>>
File: IMG_0032.jpg (47KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0032.jpg
47KB, 480x360px
>>3674214
I quite like the Space Quest series (my favorite one is Space Quest IV) but it is _HARD_AS_FUCK_.
>>
>>3674214
I love point and click games. I recently beat Zork: Grand Inquisitor and it was fun, but god damn it was really fucking cryptic at times.
>>
The Longest Journey spans 3 games and is pretty good
>>
Anyone ever play the LSL ripoff Les Manley?
>>
>>3674214

How's Gabriel Knight? That's on my to play list.

Monkey Island 2 is probably the best in the series, Curse of Monkey Island is great as well.

I prefer Last Crusade to Fate of Atlantis puzzle wise but the combat sections in Crusade are annoying as fuck and there's a maze.

Full Throttle, Sam & Max, and Loom as far as Lucasarts goes.

Kings Quest Collection and Space Quest collection as far as Seirra goes.

Harvester.

Tex Murphy series starting with Under A Killing Moon.

Maniac Mansion for lucasarts as well.

Discworld 1 and 2.

Elvira 1 and 2.

Neuromancer.

They're text adventures but check out Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Bureaucracy.
>>
File: Alexander.png (6KB, 252x336px) Image search: [Google]
Alexander.png
6KB, 252x336px
King's Quest 6 definately. One of Sierra's best games written by the same person who wrote the story for Gabriel Knight: SOTF.

I'd also recommend Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness.
>>
File: IMG_1229.png (83KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1229.png
83KB, 320x200px
Beneath a Steel Sky has a good story, some fun puzzles and a good deal of humor, plus some great art. Often overlooked.
>>
>>3674238

Quest for Glory series, has replayability too because of class system and different ways to solve things. though i'm not sure youngins will get the references.

>>3674803
Beneath a Steel Sky is a damn good game

the Kyrandia series is what i want to add for OP.

get the voice editions, GOG has them. IMO 1 is alright, 2 is good, the third, Malcolms revenge is the best.
>>
also if you can find it, quest for glory 4.1 (i think)

it was a hack of quest for glory 1 in which the hero goes back to Spielberg. its adult though. i can't find anything about it on google with a quick search. now to go through my old CD's to see if i have saved it, should be playable in dosbox.

also if you like adult humor point and click, you can't go wrong with Leisure Suit Larry 1-7
>>
Return to Zork, Zork Nemesis, and Zork Grand Inquisitor are fun but the puzzles can be fucking impossible sometimes and RTZs maze is retarded hard. Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice are weird as shit cthulu games. I have No Mouth and must scream is pretty great.
>>
>>3674235
>>3674781
>>3674942
Qfg is GOAT.
Play from #1 if you want the Paladin storyline.
I always preferred thief.
>>
>>3675028
picking thief the first game you get enough points to open up the other skills. as soon as you load the character in the second one, you get the spell that the magic user started with that you couldn't buy so you can become a wizard. from the second one you can branch out and cover all other paths by picking thief the first time and multiclass.

i've had problems though with QFG 2 remastered saves loading into he third one though. but its so much better being point and click and not having to type IMO, plus there is an option to make the city easier to navigate.
>>
>>3674942
>youngins
I'm 29. Too young?
>>
>>3674762
>How's Gabriel Knight
I'm about three hours in. There's been one small joke so far. Don't expect a comedic game. But damn if it isn't atmospheric, spooky, mysterious... I'm loving it as of right now.
>>
>>3675083
>I'm 29. Too young?

You were on the tail end of of what /vr/ considers retro games but still had a chance to play some when they were new when you were 10 (assuming you were a N64 kid and a PS2 teen), and you were probably too young to be a serious PC gamer in the 90s.
>>
I literally cannot believe no one has mentioned literally the best of all time.

OP, and all adventure fans in here that have not, you MUST play King's Quest VI.

Its the best in the series and the best point and click adventure of all time. After all these years scummvm has made it possible to play the true windows version with the high quality portraits. You do not need to play the others but they do sort of connect.

KING'S QUEST VI
>>
>>3674781
GOAT here. Didnt know he wrote other games. Want to play that GN now. The shopkeeper from VI is an inkeeper in final fantasy xv, and played the lead in the walking dead adventure game.
>>
>>3675102
I played SNES from the time I was about 5 until I was 11 or 12. We didn't get an N64 until I was 12. I had Super Mario All-Stars and beat SMB1, SMB3, and SMW before I was 10. I also fucking loved Secret of Evermore as a kid.

I also (very poorly) played games on PC. Nowadays I'm really enjoying going back and seeing what the hell I was trying to play as a kid, and being able to actually do it.

But I was asking if I was too young in terms of that post. That is, whether I'll get most of the references/jokes in Quest for Glory.
>>
>>3675083
do you know who the 3 stooges, sanford and son, laur and hardy, and earl sinclair are?

those are the ones i remember off the top of my head. even if you don;t know who all of them are, i'd still play through the series.
>>
>>3675184
Yes, kind of, yes, and kind of, respectively. Abbott and Costello > Laurel and Hardy, though.
>>
>>3675184
also i doubt anyone under 35 could pass the age check questions on the original Leisure Suit Larry without having to look it up.
>>
>>3675158
>That is, whether I'll get most of the references/jokes in Quest for Glory.

Fair enough. Sierra games use time tested pop culture references that are almost universally known (Monty python, 3 stooges, etc) as that other anon said.

Some 90s and early 2000s games have references that were too recent (for the time) and slipped out of common use.
>>
File: cotl.png (44KB, 610x245px) Image search: [Google]
cotl.png
44KB, 610x245px
>>3674214
Conquest of the Longbow is Sierra at the peak of their powers.
>>
>>3675192
>also i doubt anyone under 35 could pass the age check questions on the original Leisure Suit Larry without having to look it up.

Most are general triva and the questions have not aged much (besides the Bo Derrick ones). If you know which president was brought down by watergate, or that "Toshiba" is not a brand of car you should be fine.
>>
>Grim Fandango
The only thing is that the best way to approach puzzles is "how do make something different happen than usual?" rather than trying to figure out the outcome you're trying to reach.

If you like Myst:
>Shivers and and Shivers 2
>Journeyman Project series

Also if you like LucasArts
>Monkey Island 2-3
>Sam and Max, although some puzzles are weird
>Loom (rather than an inventory, you learn spells that can interact with the environment)
>The Dig (puzzles are generally about trying to figure out alien machines and abstract shit)

Also Technobabylon and Gemini Rue are pretty good modern games.
>>
>>3675158
QfG's humor is almost entirely in godawful puns and old movie references. There's a character in QfG4 who's literally Peter Lorre, and there's a subplot for thieves through all the games that's a big Maltese Falcon pastiche.

The references run deep but at the same time they're pretty tightly woven into the game so they're appreciable without feeling like references. It's not just throwaway pop culture nods like Fallout or whatever.
>>
>>3674214
Sam & Max Hit the Road starts out really strong but remains entertaining enough to finish. I recommend that one to any fan of adventure games. You might also like the remake of Leisure Suit Larry and the Lounge Lizzards.
>>
>>3674948
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/38/
Quest for glory 4 1/2.
It's fucking hilarious.
>>
>>3674214
A lot of the old Sierra and LucasArts stuff is good
Zak McKraken
The Dig
Maniac Mansion
LOOM
Leisure Suit Larry 6
Kings Quest and Space Quest
Harvester (if you can stomach FMV)
>>
>>3675631
thank you for the correction, as well as a download link
>>
Nice thread, mates.

Lately I've been (re-)playing some adventure games, too. I don't know, maybe it's adventurous mood after The Last Guardian or maybe it's just winter.

I don't know, why all you guys keep recommending game like The Longest Journey and The Dig with their god awful puzzles. At least, no one mentioned Scratches, which is a good thing because gameplay-wise it's pretty retarded.

And I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned original Simon the Sorcerer, The Last Express, Blade Runner and Azrael's Tear. OP, I really can't recommend enough these gems. You can also try Mission Critical and Zero Critical, which are decent sci-fi adventure games.

And yeah, Quest for Glory is an absolute must play.
>>
>>3675245
>that spoiler
What about the Blackwell series? Is it good? Always nice to see an adventure game series with five entries here in the 21st century.
>>
>>3675839
It's solid, you should also try Shivah. It's pretty light on puzzles, but playing is rabbi is priceless. And it also has a nice throwback to pirate battles from The Curse of Monkey Island.
>>
I cant believe it hasnt been mentioned yet,
but i very strongly recommend you try The Neverhood.

I'm willing to bet its unlike anything else you;ve played. Very unique atmosphere, fairly challenging gameplay, and just all round interesting game.
Made completely out of clay, released in '95 i think? A game you won't soon forget.

Here's the original trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjofUax2Y-Q
If you do play this OP, (or if anyone here, reads this and gives it a shot, let me know what you think).
Big fan of this game, one of my childhood favourites.
[Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is ace]
>>
>>3675892
The puzzles are awful and even movement is a busy work.

It's marvelous game in terms of art-direction, but in terms of actual gameplay it's very bad.

Better watch a let's play.
>>
>>3675041
I did a successful import from QfG2 VGA to QfG3 on the steam anthology earlier this week. Just check the steam QfG forum beforehand to get directions.
>>
>>3675041
I've honestly always preferred the parser input. It's mostly nostalgia but it felt more direct.
>>
>>3675192
That was kind of the point. Al Lowe claimed that the age verification check would work by asking a bunch of questions that kids probably didn't know the answer to.

Of course you could skip it by pressing Ctrl+X anyway.
>>
>>3675892
yes, the neverhood is a classic. controls and puzzles could've been done better, but I wouldn't call them "very bad" >>3675896

art and atmosphere are top-notch.
>>
Should I start with Space Quest 1 or what?
>>
>>3676454
was actually wondering the same thing. they seem to follow a chronological order of wilco becoming the hero, but don't know if the games are dated as fuck or self-contained stories
>>
>>3674214
Loved seirra like space quest
>>
>>3674252
so good
>>
>>3675007

Return to Zork? Wasn't that the one where if you didn't pick up some random plant at the beginning of the game you couldn't win at the end? I had that - quirky and interesting but nigh impossible.
>>
>>3676316
i didn't know about Ctrl+X, the first time i played it was when i was 15 when a friend brought it in on 5/12 inch floppies and we installed it on the schools library computer. took us 10 minutes to get through the age verification.
>>
File: QReayyt.gif (262KB, 186x210px) Image search: [Google]
QReayyt.gif
262KB, 186x210px
>>3674214
Play The Adventures of Down Under Dan
It's an important experience
>>
>>3675896
i thought someone would write this when i recommended it.
i wouldnt say the puzzles are "awful", there are some crappier ones true, and a few which rely on writing down symbols on paper, but overall the better puzzles outshine the weaker ones (imo).
i would certianly not suggest watching a let's play.
that is never a good suggestion.
>>
File: dgate_084.png (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dgate_084.png
93KB, 640x480px
The Legend Entertainment games are pretty good if you don't mind reading a lot.

I suggest you give Death Gate, Shannara and Companions of Xanth a try.
>>
>>3674252
she definitely has a cameltoe
>>
>>3677158
Mission Critical is the best. Well, the first half of it.
>>
>>3677184
>Well, the first half of it.
It seems that most Legend games share that issue. I've always been disappointed with the ending.
>>
>>3677196
It's worse with Mission Critical. The first half of the game is the hardest sci-fi ever, where you're all alone fixing the space craft. Think a mix between System Shock 2 (with no enemies obviously) and the movie Martian. The second part is omg, aliens, nanomcahines (not kidding), time travel, etc.

Contrast is pretty jarring.
>>
>>3677198
Not that anon, but sometimes sudden genre shifts can be awesome. Samurai Flamenco springs to mind. It has to be done really well though.
>>
>>3677245
>Samurai Flamenco
Excellent taste
>>
>>3674214
>>3674238

quest for glory is too hard for beginners

play space quest instead

there's a text parser version and a point-and-click version

play sam & max too
>>
File: v.jpg (70KB, 431x432px) Image search: [Google]
v.jpg
70KB, 431x432px
underrated and rarely mentioned:

>A Moment of Silence
>Dracula 1/2
>Blade Runner
>old Sherlock games
>The Last Express
>Syberia 1/2
>Scratches
>Runaway series
>Sam and Max series
>Black Dahlia and X files if you can stomach the cheesy 90s FMV adventures with real actors

For non/vr/ I highly recommend Kheops shit, they are all gorgeous games with interesting exploration and puzzles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kheops_Studio

For very recent games:

>The Book of Unwritten Tales 1/2
>The Whispered World 1/2
>Darkness Within 1/2
>>
>>3677303
>mentions Dracula 1/2
>mentions Kheops Studio
>go to the Wikipedia page
>Dracula 3
I assume it's also good, then?
>>
>>3677303
>Sam and Max
>underrated and rarely mentioned
wat

I'd add the Kyrandia series to that list though.

>>The Book of Unwritten Tales 1/2
Critter's Chronicle isn't bad either, but to be honest modern point & click games are just average most of the time. They are obvious tributes to old school adventure games, but their humour, story and puzzles are hit or miss. They emulate the classics but completely fail to capture their magic.
The Deponia series are the worst offenders as the MC is an unlikable Guybrush ripoff and the story goes full retard after the second chapter. And don't even bother with the 4th game, it doesn't add anything to the story.
>>
>>3677359
I imagine if you go back and look, there were a lot of really shitty point-and-click games back in the 90s too. It's just that we have had time to compile a list of the classics, whereas when you look at games that are recent, you're always going to see the good and the bad ones.
>>
>>3677361
Classic adventure games have an identity because of their original and very unique characters, settings and stories (Monkey Island, DotT, Beneath a Steel Sky, The Dig, Sam&Max etc).
Most of the shitty old point&click games are low budget soulless ripoffs of successful games ( Bud Tucker comes to my mind ).

Most of the modern p&c developers are doing the same mistakes: they set the classics as the mold and desperately try to make their own games fit in. Then they multiply the clichés and the references to Lucasarts and Sierra for fanservice but their games just end up lacking a soul ( see TBoUT ).

There are some very good recent games though, like Gemini Rue, Runaway and Syberia. There are even some gems under the massive pile of shit that is AGS, like Time Gentlemen Please. Deponia though, it's nothing but wasted potential.
>>
>>3677359

Kyrandia 1 is a godawful game
>>
File: 26-haystack_fall.gif (91KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
26-haystack_fall.gif
91KB, 640x400px
>>3677440
Yeah it's my least favorite game of the series. Maybe not 'godawful' because it still has some charm, but just average. 2 and 3 are great though.
>>
>>3677184
>Mission Critical
I remember playing Mission critical as a kid and fuck, that game gave me so much anxiety with it's atmosphere.. nothing was ever really scary or jumped out but i couldnt play it for extended periods of time lol..

as for the OP, DOTT is still in my top 10 of all time to this day, a true masterpeice imo.

I was lucky enough to buy the "Lucas Arts Adventure pack" which contained

DOTT
Sam and Max hit the road
Indiana Jones and the Fate of atlantis
Tie fighter
and Starwars rogue somthing or other

what a bundle!

also absolutely love Fate of atlantis
>>
File: image.png (19KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
19KB, 259x224px
>>3674214
>posts mostly LucasArts games
>op pic is sierra
>>
>>3677575
So?
>>
>>3674214
try the other sierra games, i love Sapce Quest the most, Grim Fandango,Loom, the DIG, the Zork games, MYST, Full throttle, The neverhood, The ripper(but not that recomended), Harvester, Darkseed 1 (te second was quite lacking and the first one already is lackluster but worth the play), The discworld games
>>
>>3678009
also, try the games by this studio i dont remember but one of their most popular titles is the Waxworks, beneath a steel sky, that bladerunner adventure game, Snatcher, not sure if it counts but Alone in the dark was dope too (i wouldnt recomend the sequels though), Willy beamish was OK, the other monkey island games,
>>
>>3678025
OH FUCK and i forgot: Normality
>>
>>3676936
Yes, I would say Return to Zork is the worst Zork game.
>>
>>3674942
>Malcolms revenge is the best
Malcom's revenge is fucking garbage. Most of the game, you'll either be lost in a jingle cutting up plants and finding bones to give to a dog for him to dig up 6 different gems, being dragged to a tic-tac-toe game every 5 minutes, having to walk in a loop just to steal enough money, and going back to that same jungle in order to find 10 more bones to give to a dog.
>>
Seconding or thirding The Dig, played it recently for the first time, what an amazing game. Really feels like you're playing a movie.

The Tale of Orpheo's Curse was pretty fun too. Not available on GOG or Steam so no idea how you would play it in lieu of finding the original disc.
>>
>>3674214

Toonstruck

Zork: Grand Inquisitor

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

Ripley's Believe It or Not!: The Riddle of Master Lu

The Last Express

Death Gate

Mission Critical

Space Quest V: The Next Mutation

Leisure Suit Larry VI & VII

Sanitarium

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tatto

King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow

Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
>>
>>3678457
>non-linear point and click
>not the best
Granted there are some grindy parts but that game is still a ton of fun.
>>
File: 23-squirrelkill.gif (159KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
23-squirrelkill.gif
159KB, 640x400px
>>3679915
>>
File: 1-kyrandia3_interlude4_000.png (74KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1-kyrandia3_interlude4_000.png
74KB, 640x400px
>>3678457

I was never a fan of how Malcolm's Revenge used 3D rendered artwork instead of the beautiful 2D drawn art.

Just looked like a lazy AGS game.
>>
>>3681923

Compared to the colorful 2D drawn stuff.
>>
I loved point and click since i was about 11, ive played almost every game mentioned in this thread, OP play broken sword 1 and 2
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.