[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can we have a nice comfy secret of monkey island thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: monkey island.jpg (16KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
monkey island.jpg
16KB, 284x177px
can we have a nice comfy secret of monkey island thread?
>>
>>3674038
>start playing Secret of Monkey Island
>get sick of Dial-a-Pirate
>realize if I play it through ScummVM it skips DRM
>but I have to start the game over and I already beat the first chapter
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
>>
>>3674038
Ok, as long as you keep it to the first two parts and don't include any of the remakes
>>
What gave it that comfy feel?
>>
Loom is the only adventure game I ever beat without using hint lines or magazines or walkthroughs.

You did ask me about Loom, right?
>>
>>3674038
>but I have to start the game over and I already beat the first chapter

This is the main reason I only really play Monkey 2. I do love the Monkey 1 and Curse, but those battles always slow the game to a crawl. Really kills the flow of the game compared to 2.

>>3674657
Most of it's set at night, the music is usually very cosy and sweet, the music is pretty dynamic too (silence outside of the Scumm bar, music blaring when you're in it), and a lot of ambience and charm which comes together to make it very cosy. Couple that with witty dialogue and graphics which are still really pleasant to look at, and you have a winner.

Woodtick though is still probably the cosiest location in video game history.
>>
I fucking love the secret of monk isle so damn much.

I had an atari STe with only 512kb of memory as a kid and it didnt allow you to progress past the rubber chicken pully / meathook /parrot section as it would crash upon leaving. It also had some funky 4 disc hot swapping shit.

I felt like a beast when i beat the sword master. Upgrading to 1mb ram was not an option i had, so i waited like 10 years till i played it to completion on on pc later on.

Had the same issues with batman, elite and a few other games.
>>
>>3675076

Had like 300-400 discs, some of them multi discs, but even though i had like 500 games even just the first quarter/third of monk was always one of my favourites.
>>
>>3674038
Do people use a guide? Am I the only person in the world who sucks so mightily at all of these adventure games?
>>
>>3675770
Play as far as you can. If you get really frustrated, uhs-hints is godly.

It lets you click on the part of the game you're in, and find the exact puzzle you're stuck on, and start with small, vague hints, being given progressively bigger ones until it "clicks" or you get to the end of the hints and just get the answer.

Basically, it makes games easier if you need it, but it doesn't remove those AHA moments or force you to scroll through a spoiler-filled walkthrough.

There's software you can try/buy, but I just use the website, which is free.
>>
File: 8992[1].jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
8992[1].jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>buy deluxe CD-ROM I and II compilation
>has quite good redbook music
>while playing Secret of Monkey Island, notice Simply Red Greatest Hits CD
>put disc in and have the dulcet tones of Rick Hucknall serenading me with a different hit every area I visit
>this goes on for a week or more
>now I can't hear certain Simply Red songs without thinking of Monkey Island
>now Simply Red and Monkey Island are permanently associated in my brain
>>
>>3675874
This is the ONLY way and you know it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fvO__ywTZg

What you did there is shameful. Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>3676009
I thought that was gonna be someone syncing up to Dark Side Of The Moon or something. Pretty cool though.
>>
>>3674038
yes?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.