[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /vr/ like Intellivision?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15

File: Intellivision-Console-Set.jpg (3MB, 4200x2180px) Image search: [Google]
Intellivision-Console-Set.jpg
3MB, 4200x2180px
Does /vr/ like Intellivision?
>>
> MATTEL ELECTRONICS PRESENTS
>SPAAACE SPAAARTANS
>>
File: Snafu_cover.jpg (50KB, 256x346px) Image search: [Google]
Snafu_cover.jpg
50KB, 256x346px
This game is fucking nectar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wi2_hH3_74
>>
I unironically enjoy bowling for INTV. Actually, every game I have is fun to fuck around with. The thing looks incredibly on my bvm via composite.
>>
I have no idea how autistic you have to be to enjoy pre-NES stuff, and I'm the guy who grew up on ZX Spectrum
>>
>>3669376
its not like intellivision is the only console I play.

Honestly the only time ive ever played an intellivision game is on the PS1 disc when I was a kid. its just nice to look back and see how primitive the games are and sometimes have a good laugh at them.
I'd play almost anything on the NES over an intellivision game any day
>>
>>3669382
now imagine if you actually paid 400 dollars for that shit
and got "game" which has content for 5 minutes, and after that it just loops and you have to get the high score which resets whenever you turn off the console anyway
>>
>>3669390
maybe thats because it came out in the late 70s and maybe thats why it only sold 3 million units.

Its just fun to look back at these awkward stages in video game history and collect memorabilia

isnt that what we all like doing here?
>>
>>3669394
I did amateur game development for 8 bit home computer and remembering how retarded dealing with hardware was makes me puke internally
like 10% making features
90% making them work remotely acceptable on completely shitty hardware made by inbred retards
>>
>>3669376
With pre-NES stuff you're not supposed to stick to one game. You're supposed to play one until you get bored, then pop in another game. Just like an arcade.

That was generally the point of second gen consoles, to simulate having an arcade in your living room.
>>
>>3669421
>You're supposed to play one until you get bored
Too bad it would probably happen in 6 minutes
Also I doubt average kid could afford having remotely varied library. On home computer back then I purchased like packs of pirated diskettes, each having like 8-10 games. Still got bored with them in few days.
>>
>>3669427
It's easy to think that now, but back then there wasn't much else to do. Yet those old consoles still managed to be successful from 1977-1983 - I wonder why.

>I doubt average kid could afford having remotely varied library
Games were about $20 back then, and post-crash you could get them boxed for a dollar a pop.
>>
>>3669441
For novelty's sake I guess.
Objectively, SMB was on different level compared to all pre-existing games.

I remember how that 90s Pitfall game had secret which allowed to play the original atari game, like look at the shit we used to do. Meanwhile FF7 is still commercially viable and sold for actual money on modern platforms despite all games since it.
>>
File: 57857_front.jpg (117KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
57857_front.jpg
117KB, 640x908px
>>3669376
I find it funny that a board for retro games is so intolerant of pre NES era games.

>>3669382
I assume you meant PS2 disk and not PS1 disk.
>>
>>3669463
Well I played H.E.R.O. port unironically when kid, but what the point of remembering it now. Back then it was so difficult to achieve minimum bare functionality so the creativity was nonexistant. It's same with cars, what the point of caring of stuff which happened before T-model. Like they had wheels too, and they could drive bigger distance by themselves than you have to tag them after they broke down. Cool.
>>
>>3669354
It's so great with a buddy.
>>
>>3669463
>I find it funny that a board for retro games is so intolerant of pre NES era games
We used to have a lot of oldfags around, but a ton of them have left over the past few months. Stuff like pre-3rd gen and pinball threads don't even last a week anymore.
>>
>>3669478
Atariage is the place to be if you want to talk about pre-NES stuff.
>>
>>3669461
>Objectively, SMB was on different level compared to all pre-existing games.
That's true. Doesn't make old games unplayable garbage, though.

>Meanwhile FF7 is still commercially viable and sold for actual money on modern platforms despite all games since it.
Good for them. Doesn't matter much though, since second gen ports are far more widely available and on more platforms.
>>
>>3669390
High-score based games were an arcade standard. People knew what they were getting when they bought home versions of arcade games or original games with arcade design.
>>
>>3669427
The funny thing about this topic is that as a matter of personal taste, I agree with you. I was never into the score-based games of the late 70s and early 80s, and the games I liked best on my family's Atari 2600 were the ones you could finish like Adventure and Superman, and two-player competitive games like Combat and Canyon Bomber.

But looking at the success of arcade games at the time, it's clear lots of people did enjoy getting higher and higher scores.
>>
>>3669503
>Doesn't make old games unplayable garbage, though.
Well, NES and sega genesis hardware clones are still widely available in toy stores in my country. Never seen an atari or atari clone in my life though.
>>
File: DSC_0660.jpg (775KB, 3274x1956px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0660.jpg
775KB, 3274x1956px
>>3669565
Are you serious? My local Bed Bath and Beyond has been selling these for years, along with Intellivision and Colecovision versions (and Genesis ones that nobody buys because they absolutely suck).

This is in Canada. What country do you live in? I'm guessing by the "NES hardware clones" thing it's probably not one that cares much about copyright law.
>>
>>3669661
Yep it's my local thing then. It's not nostalgia only here, it's still popular option for actual kids.
>>
I got an intellevsion in a box of stuff recently and I don't know what to do with it. I'm not at all interested... Looks good physically but no games. It's also a huge hassle for me to check rf...
>>
While I mostly play it on Atari, Intellivision has a cool version of one of the best 2nd generation games ever, Beamrider.
>>
File: shot0000.gif (2KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
shot0000.gif
2KB, 320x200px
I love the Intellivison.

Programming the CP1600 is a little weird, seeing as you have a 16 bit CPU taking 10 bit numbers out of 8 bit storage.
>>
>>3669463
This place is full of shitendo fanboys. I knew the posts even before entering the thread.
>>
>>3670836
Because Nintendo was unarguably Ford of video gaming
>>
>>3669341
love it, classic console.
>>
The Intellivision version of BurgerTime was great. It had a shitload of creative levels.
>>
File: diner.png (4KB, 588x355px) Image search: [Google]
diner.png
4KB, 588x355px
>>3673701
Have you played the Intellivision-only sequel, Diner? I think it's even better.
>>
>>3673709
It's pretty neat. I still like the original better.
>>
File: doom-000[1].jpg (56KB, 423x569px) Image search: [Google]
doom-000[1].jpg
56KB, 423x569px
>Want to play RPGs?
>Too poor to buy a PC?
>Too unpopular to find a tabletop group?
Yep, you're an Intellivision gamer
>>
>>3669341
That He-Man game is fucking magical somehow.
>>
>>3673738
That game ain't cheap though, possibly on account of being a very late release like Thunder Castle.
>>
>>3670836
They're practically a cult.

t. former nintendrone
>>
>>3669681
Brazil?
>>
File: ADDTarmin.png (835B, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
ADDTarmin.png
835B, 320x200px
>>3673738
Never played that but played the crap out of the AD&D games.

The Cloudy Mountain one was more action / adventure oriented but Treasure of Tarmin was a good turn-based RPG with a surprisingly large assortment of monsters to fight, with different strength levels depending on their color, and a lot items / weapons that you could use as well. There were even secret spells that you could do that let you see through or walk thru walls, transport around the stage etc. I got A LOT of replay value out of it, as it is random each time you play and could be pretty deep if playing longer games.

It's definitely worth checking out & playing but starting it on the harder difficulty levels can take a LONG time to beat (need save states) so it's best to start on the easy ones first
>>
Intellivison is a legitimately fun console though. I love playing it's versions of hero and river raid. Frog pond or frogs and flies or whatever the fuck it's port is called is fun as shit too. Pre nes games were fun shit. The colecovision was great and so was the intellivison. Atari had a few good games amongst a lot of shovelware shit, which is why I think theae games have such a bad rep
>>
>>3673832
>>3674146
Yeah I actually don't have Tower of Doom by 1987 I was more interested in an NES for Chrissakes but yeah I definitely played the shit out of Treasures of Tarmin.
>>
>>3674242
>Frog pond or frogs and flies or whatever the fuck it's port is called is fun as shit too.
Frog Bog! Great fun.
>>
>>3669394
"These spoiled 14 year olds make me sick"

Try playing Astrosmash if you want a real challenge.

I one spent 18 hour on a single game.

Imagine a game where you can earn a ship every 5 minutes at the highest level and tore 99 of them while a dozen ships and smart bombs are trying to kill you.

And the worst part of it is that they don't even have to hit you to kill you.
>>
>>3669463
>I assume you meant PS2 disk and not PS1 disk.
There's a PS1 version of Intellivision lives with 30+
games.
>>
>>3669495
Atariage has some of the most insufferable cocksuckers I've ever seen on a message board.
>>
>>3674424
>And the worst part of it is that they don't even have to hit you to kill you.
The sound of the pace ticker at its fastest rate still haunts me. Spinners are extra terrifying that far into the game.
>>
>>3669463
>>3674429
I think the PS1 disc is actually called Intellivision Classic Games. Intellivision Lives came to consoles in the following gen.
>>
Not for me
>>
File: INTV - Hover Force.png (14KB, 1377x241px) Image search: [Google]
INTV - Hover Force.png
14KB, 1377x241px
Bump for OP, Intellivision is pretty cool
>>
>>3669661
It's actually a patent thing, and the patents are all expired.
>>3669681
Not just you, Famiclones are big, big business.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20161213191716&SearchText=8+bit+Game+Console
>>
I used to have a model 1 and a model 2 INTV, and I think I donated both of them when my parents sold the house I grew up in. I had a ton of boxed games with overlays and manuals too, should of hung onto those... the consoles were just so large and unwieldy.
>>
File: Utopia_(video_game)_boxart.jpg (97KB, 300x410px) Image search: [Google]
Utopia_(video_game)_boxart.jpg
97KB, 300x410px
Found one and a bunch of games at a garage sale a few years ago. been wanting to play this with somebody since.
>>
Lock 'N Chase on a real inty is like pure sex. The disc is awesome for cornering.
>>
>>3669341
yes
>>
File: colecovision1c.jpg (110KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
colecovision1c.jpg
110KB, 800x522px
The Intellivision was the Intellivision but only the ColecoVision had these colors.
>>
>>3669463
>I find it funny that a board for retro games is so intolerant of pre NES era games.
Most people don't care, it's just a few guys who think they need to remind everyone that they wonder why people are interested in stuff they don't care about.
>>
>>3669351
>B-17 BAWWWWWMER
>>
File: Gotta go fast.png (6KB, 266x165px) Image search: [Google]
Gotta go fast.png
6KB, 266x165px
>>3669341
It's pretty comfy.
>>
>>3674442
What makes you say that? Care to post pics? Or give examples?
>>
File: 71o6DrLzAwL._SL1500_.jpg (144KB, 1500x1016px) Image search: [Google]
71o6DrLzAwL._SL1500_.jpg
144KB, 1500x1016px
>>3676951
> arcade joystick controllers

Nope. Pic related is arcade style.
>>
I recently picked up an Intellivision model 1 a month or two ago for $25. It's cool I guess, but extremely unreliable (as I'm told is the norm for these units, unfortunately). Still, I appreciate it for its differences. Being more powerful than the 2600 is a nice plus. I have two AD&D games for it but neither of them work in the system no matter what I try

I kind of wish there was a flashcart for it. I understand there were some in the past but nothing currently being manufactured
>>
>>3677976
Model 2 is a lot more reliable from what I hear.
>>
File: Intellivision II.jpg (110KB, 560x375px) Image search: [Google]
Intellivision II.jpg
110KB, 560x375px
>>3677976
>>3678332
Probably the best thing about the Intellivision II is the detachable controllers that can be replaced if they die.
>>
>>3678431
The worst thing is that fucking huge PSU.
>>
>>3676537
I could play Utopia forever. It's fun alone, but competing/cooperating with someone else is really great.
>>
>>3678556
Seems a lot of 1th and 2nd gen systems have huge PSUs
>>
>>3673826
This. Dropping bombs on Skeletor's head is so satisfying.
>>
>>3682082
>Dropping bombs on Skeletor's head
I must play this.
>>
>>3682161
It's basically just two scenarios that repeat and get harder, but it's still a lot of fun.
>>
I recently purchased an INTV 1 with 16 games (most CIB) for $50, and I've had a lot of fun with it.

It goes without saying that everyone's tastes depend on what they were able to play or own as a kid. My first game system was an Atari 7800, never saw much at flea markets at the time but Atari games since it was post-game crash, I never saw any other system back then but the NES.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.