[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Shining Force Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 24

File: ShinigForce.jpg (11KB, 222x167px) Image search: [Google]
ShinigForce.jpg
11KB, 222x167px
Anyone a fan of the Shining Force Series? One of Sega'a best series before they decided to turn into anthropomorphic animal garbage.
>pic extremely related
>>
Shining Force was done by Camelot though, the guys behind Golden Sun.
>>
>>3668369
Camelot was originally founded in 1990 as a division of Sega known as Sega CD4 (Consumer Development Studio #4)
>>
>>3668357
Shining Force was okay. Gameplay-wise it wasn't very good (absolutely terrible balance, some of the gameplay mechanics were poorly thought out, the battle pacing was really slow, the AI was beyond retarded, the level design was generally uninspired, etc) but the game had a lot of charm and the visuals were nice. I thought the second game was a lot worse in every way, it was a larger game but was even more poorly designed, had much worse writing, and the exploration parts were a chore. The 3rd game seemed a bit better than the 1st but not by much, so I never bothered with the following scenarios.

>before they decided to turn into anthropomorphic animal garbage.
I'm obligated to warn you that 90% of Shining Force fans only like it due to centaur girls and other subhumans.
>>
I loved the first two games as a kid. How I was introduced to the Genre.
I've tried to emulate 3 as it's the only method I have to play, but the glitches just made it un playable to me.
>>
>>3668357
>anthropomorphic animal garbage.
Shining Force has always had anthropomorphic characters since its inception.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1W-mHQLdok
>>
>>3668357
>Anyone a fan of the Shining Force Series? One of Sega'a best series before they decided to turn into anthropomorphic animal garbage.
I swear we've had about four of these threads in the past week. Is this some /v/tard trying to force a meme or something?
>>
>>3668623
> implying memecalling left and right isn't the real meme
>>
File: interesting.jpg (50KB, 470x374px) Image search: [Google]
interesting.jpg
50KB, 470x374px
>>3668514
SSF_011_alpha_R5'' <-use this one
>>
>>3668386
You are a really dedicated shitposter, aren't you? I can spot you in almost every single Shining Force thread.
>>
>>3668623
The last one was created by me, where I wrongly called it a hidden gem because I'm a casual. (Or just because I'm not from the USA, possibly.)

This thread isn't by me tho. And what's wrong with this thread anyway?

>>3668625
This desu.
>>
I want to replay Shining Force II now that I discovered Super difficulty is actually harder than Ouch (and Ouch was never harder than Normal due to a possible glitch), but I don't have much motivation after playing this game so many times.

How legit the Super difficulty is?
>>
Top Tier: Zylo
Good Tier: Domingo
Average Tier: Tao
Bad Tier: Vankar
Shit Tier: Yogurt
>>
>>3668386
>absolutely terrible balance

Does that even matter in an RPG? You can just cast Vanish and Doom on everyone on FF6, it's just as broken, but somehow it is a masterpiece.
>>
File: maymay.gif (20KB, 336x448px) Image search: [Google]
maymay.gif
20KB, 336x448px
>>3668357
>anthropomorphic animal garbage.
You say it like that's a bad thing
>>
>>3668357

>Anyropomorphic animal garbage

You mean like the centaurs, bird people, warewolf, armadillo person and horse people in Shining Force 1?
>>
>>3668765
What's the difference between a centaur and a horse person?
Maybe you meant dog person (distinct from werewolf, like Khris).
>>
>>3668774
One's a monster and one of them is an intelligent species. Obviously!
>>
>>3668776
No I mean if there is such a monster I genuinely either forgot about them, or didn't encounter them yet if they appear in SF1.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 200x200px
>>3668774

Yeah I meant whatever this is
>>
>>3668820
Yeah that's a dog person aka Kyantol as explained here:
http://shining.wikia.com/wiki/Kyantol
>>
>>3668862

It's easyer eggs brah

You'd never even find that shit if you didn't already inow about it

I think this is supposed to be b8 or sarcasm but we Poe's law as fuck
>>
>>3668862
>It actually makes me happy that they didn't add attack animations for when Tao and Anri wear those suits.

They did, later on. Have fun!
>>
File: 1327940297603.jpg (32KB, 284x281px) Image search: [Google]
1327940297603.jpg
32KB, 284x281px
>>3668895
>>
File: SF2 May.jpg (88KB, 684x887px) Image search: [Google]
SF2 May.jpg
88KB, 684x887px
>>3668357
>before they decided to turn into anthropomorphic animal garbage.
???
>>
>>3668862

I wouldn't say pissed, but I think it was a retarded addition. The items didn't have any functional purpose. The least they could have done was boost the caracters' defense power. (... which might not have been very logical, considering we're talking about bikinis)
>>
File: 1478360191739.jpg (29KB, 455x652px) Image search: [Google]
1478360191739.jpg
29KB, 455x652px
>>3668871
Where do you find them? I was completely unaware of this.
Tao and Anri in lewd clothing? YES PLEASE

>>3668892
No one forced you to use those, you know.
You didn't have to equip them, you could have kept on going with good ol' badass Tao.
Maybe you're a hypocrite? Or are you just one huge faggot?
>>
>>3668921
>Maybe you're a hypocrite?

Not that other anon, but what?

Although that brings up an interesting point: If the game had included lewd items for male characters such as man-thongs or cock cages, how many people would object? Would you?

Bonus: The items actually change the characters' in-battle appearances
>>
File: Shining Force 01.png (17KB, 512x224px) Image search: [Google]
Shining Force 01.png
17KB, 512x224px
>>3668921
It doesn't affect their battle sprites until the GBA release.
>>
File: Shining Force GBA 01.jpg (58KB, 240x480px) Image search: [Google]
Shining Force GBA 01.jpg
58KB, 240x480px
>>3668932
>>
>>3668862
>>3668902
Show me your tumblr grl :)
>>
>>3668849

Looks like a fucking retarded reindeer, not a dog
>>
>>3668892

I don't understand where I'm supposed to be opposed to the speedo thing

It's a hidden easter egg, it'd be fun. Plenty of stuff like that exists for dudes and you don't hear conplaints about that either. Shulk's underwear costume in Smash, or Dunban being best in Xenoblade while basically naked, or that one SHMUP where if you clear it well enough the guy strips down to his skivs

Shit's fun even if you don't want to fuck 'em. If you don't want that, it's all optional anyways. Particularly the Shining Force shit which is hidden as fuck

No on'e getting their rocks off to map sprites anyways
>>
>>3668970

>Bikini so stupid

>Lol siwm ring funny

I understand this doesn't cover the "degrading" part of your argument but you can't say the swimsuits are out of place and then praise goofy weapons dude, c'mon
>>
>>3668981
>Professional Nip artists
>competent at animal designs
I know there are ( albeit very) few exceptions here and there (a certain famous artist who also worked at Sega once being one of those cases), but...
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 480x360px
>>3668983

Hell, Xseed got PRAISED for adding strip portraits for the guys into Akiba's trip that weren't in the Japanese version

I'm actually pretty liberal about stuff like this but I can't understand why I'm supposed to get mad about characters getting ogled anyways
>>
>>3668983
As I said, if it's just stupid then some people may just find it funny. I don't really care that much about that. But

>Shit's fun even if you don't want to fuck 'em.

Male players drooling over and wanting to fuck female characters is exactly what makes it not funny, IMO. I mean I can only assume that's the reaction the developers expect from me, as a male player, and that ruins any joke to be had for me.

>>3669002
I said it was funny. I didn't praise it or say it wasn't stupid. See, stupid can still be funny, hence less bad.
>>
>>3669051

I don't understand why that ruins the joke

And if you're drooling over the map sprite man you got weird taste. It's just cute.

I'm genuinely interested in your view here--I mean I also thing you're wrong and being absurd, but I do want to understand wgere you're coming from. Do you also have issue with times where females are supposed to drool over men? I din't mean Conan the Barbarian, I meab Shulk, Akiba's Trip male portraits, Twilight, Chipendales, Free! etc. Do you take the same issue with that?
>>
>Nice, 42 posts, this must be a good SF thread
>It's one anon bitching about a bikini
>>
Thoughts on Shining The Holy Ark and Shining Force 3?
>>
>>3668748
>masterpiece.
don't use this word when you don't know what it means.
>>
>>3669264
SF3 is the best SF and Holy Ark is my favourite Camelot game overall desu.
>>
>>3668820
for a second i thought it was a retard with a disfigured jaw
>>
>>3668695
>How legit the Super difficulty is?
I don't know what you mean by legit, but super just has extremely inflated enemy base stats. Enemies without weapons end up incredibly powerful, but enemies who rely on their equipped weapon don't end up near as deadly. Enemy magic users tend to do more damage punching you than casting a spell.

>>3668734
>Domingo anywhere but the absolute top
Domingo is a god.
>>
>>3669480

Domingo is insane

Mother fucking flying mage with assloads of HP what where they thinking
>>
>>3669507
I always ignore Domingo.
I hear people saying how good he is, but I simply can't comprehend why. Sure he has good DEF and can fly, but his spells are always outdated.
He joins your party halfway through the game with only Freeze 1, and will only learn Freeze 4 at level 27, and that without unpromoted levels stacked.

Compare Domingo to Anri. Anri learns Freeze 4 at level 23. Even if you promote her at level 10 she will learn Freeze 4 at the level 14 promoted.
Anri learns Freeze 4 by the end of the game at level 14, Domingo won't learn until level 27.
>>
Still playing hacks even today.
Shiningforcecentral is good site, with good people.
>>
File: ReadtheManual.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ReadtheManual.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
Although I feel the original Shining Force stands on its own merits of world building, art, pacing and charm, it's important to remember what gaming was like when it was first released.

Shining Force came out at 90 dollars USD and it still did well. It was not like anything available on Sega at the time. It was impressive as fuck in its scope, art, and storytelling. And unlike its younger sibling, Shining in the Darkness, it was extremely accessible. That may make it an easy game, but it also meant it was a game anyone could play at a time when the RPG genre was still niche as hell.

As far as interactive storybook-style RPGs go, Shining Force was very impressive for its time, especially considering it was released on an action-gamer console.
>>
>>3669546

domingo is great when you get him though, you have extremely limited movement in the majority of maps after elliot that also have clumps of enemies so he helps out loads just flying around with freeze 2
>>
I knocked someone into the lake by pushing a Kart at them. 12 year old me found this enjoyable.

Shining Force 1-3 rocks
>>
>>3669604
>Kart
anon.
>>
File: index.png (7KB, 204x179px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
7KB, 204x179px
>>3t669507
Dominogo is literally hatched from an Easter Egg you have to find first. Just like the ninja is a hidden too and OP.
>>
File: Feda brofist.jpg (128KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Feda brofist.jpg
128KB, 800x600px
In light of all these SF threads lately, I wish FEDA got more attention. It was a broken, incomprehensible mess even compared to SF1/2, but damn it it was fun and it was pretty.

>>3668752
>>3668765
>>3668905
Horse pussy is xeno, not anthro.
>>
not board relevant but the dungeon crawler for gba was tons of fun and really cute
>>
>>3670198
>Game punishes you for defeating enemies
This mechanism killed the game for me. Time limit is pretty annoying too.
>>
>>3668369
Looking at that battle scene I was about to ask if GS was inspired by this. Guess you answered my question.
>>
>>3670198
I'm playing fan-translated FEDA now and I have a question.

At the beginning of my turn the cursor moves to one character to move but I can then actually select and move any character. Is this a bug because I've had enemies get a turn before I was able to move/attack with all my characters?
>>
File: 1402676275749.jpg (155KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1402676275749.jpg
155KB, 1024x768px
>>3669546
>Sure he has good DEF and can fly
Flying is basically the best characteristic in the game. He can make room for other characters to advance by moving to typically unmovable spots, strike from extra sides previously impossible, move well on every map, blitz the enemy or move large distances over obstacles to save a unit with flying and the range of freeze.

Also he is a mage with good defense and HP so you don't have to baby sit him, he can be on the front lines. Magic of any kind also never becomes obsolete because it basically always hits for the same amount of damage so him gaining Freeze level 4 a few levels later doesn't matter much. He also has higher MP than other mages so can cast all battle.
>>
>>3671226
He won't even come close to learn Freeze level 4 in a regular playthrough, and magic can become pretty useless. Blaze 4 and Freeze 4 are game changers for Tao and Anri, they go from bellow average to high tier damage dealers.
>>
File: 1393375598943.gif (2MB, 176x144px) Image search: [Google]
1393375598943.gif
2MB, 176x144px
>>3671226
>and magic can become pretty useless
>>
>>3671267
That's true in SF2, but SF2? Not a chance.
>>
>>3671267
Are we going just going to shitpost now?
>Magic inflicts 15 damage
>Other ranged characters like archers and lancers can inflict 25 damage
>And other mages can even inflict 35 damage
>This character is not useless
If you're going to resort to "15 is better than 0" then you may as well say that Jogurt is a ok addition to your party.

Nice quote by the way.
>>
>>3671294
Mages don't miss
They also hit multiple targets
>>
>>3671294
You would have to Egress grind to ever do more than like 5 damage with archers.
>>
>>3671198
It's intentional. The AI picks its move order too, and will immediately break sequence if it sees an opportunity to attack, or to stall and avoid walking into your range.
Agility is the accuracy/evade stat now.
>>
>>3671307
Have you tried earning 3 levels with Diane or Lyle?
>>
>>3671345
That's weird. Is there anything that decides how many characters can go before it switches to the enemies turn?
>>
>>3668945
Noice.

>>3668905
>>3668752
Horsefucking is for mongoloids and arabs, anon.
>>
Shining Force 2 was my childhood! I wish you could've ended up with Sarah at the end :(

Also I remember getting Hanzo in the original Shining Force, I didn't get any of the other secret characters as a dumb kid so that made me really happy
>>
>>3668386
I want to fuck Kiwi DESU
>>
>>3669412
>SF3 is the best SF

This applies to both Shining Force and Street Fighter!
>>
I remember playing Shining Force 1-2 as a dumb kid and spamming save states on the Sega Genesis collection to not lose any of my characters, I figured it would be like Fire Emblem where I couldn't keep my fallen characters.

Also that one part in the zombie village scared the shit out of me (It's a trap!).

Better than the early FE games, all in all.
>>
>>3672552
The execution of Shade Abbey is great. Interesting locales to explore is one of the first game's greatest strengths. Manarina is one of my favorite cities in any classic JRPG.

>>3671307
Hans and Diane are questionable choices at best, but Lyle requires no grinding and has insane range. Magic is still OP as hell though.
>>
>>3670198
I like it, wonder if the Saturn version is better
>>
Shining force two had a pretty dope story. The gameplay was all right, the battles were nice and balanced. Id say the ambience was its best feature along with its story.
>>
File: FedaFlare.png (107KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
FedaFlare.png
107KB, 640x480px
>>3672743
It ratcheted down the difficulty in a game that was already quite easy. Every character that didn't have a special attack was given one, and Brian and Ain got additional specials to completely relieve them of weaknesses. If you've played the GBA SF1 remake, the problem is fairly similar.
Remake's new art is all over the place. The story cinematics are generally decent, but the battle art just doesn't hold up to the original's solid spritework.
>>
>>3672641
>has insane range
He has the exactly same range of Hans and Diane.
>>
>>3668906
...you DO realize how AC works most often with female armor, right?
>Less armor = higher AC
Logic has fuckall to do with it
>>
>>3671281
>SF2
AFAIK SF2 monsters don't have magic immunity like many other RPGs.
>>
>>3673102
It's more that HP values in SF2 are much higher than in 1. Bowie can easily reach 100+ HP on a normal playthrough, and I've never had Max break 50.
>>
>>3668676
Yeah you got me, everyone claiming that shining force is anything but 10/10 perfect is just me shitposting. What gave me away?
>>
>>3672881
His movement is 7 instead of 5, which effectively increases his range by a significant amount.
>>
>>3673646
Horse movement is pretty lousy in the latter half of SF1. Chokepoints and oceans of forest abound.
>>
File: 146589236790.png (109KB, 1279x960px) Image search: [Google]
146589236790.png
109KB, 1279x960px
Why there's so much bias against archers in SF?
I get that Hans has an awful attack growth during early game, but in my experience Diane and Lyle can hold their ground for most, if not all the game.
>>
>>3673747
Personal experience means nothing

In a game with random stat growth almost everyone can end up very good or shit depending on your luck.
>>
>>3673783
The RNG doesn't play a big role on them.
Most of their attack comes from their weapon, that is often stronger than swords, axes and lances.
>>
Sometimes I want to develop a game like SF, but then I realize that those games are boring to most people, and the only reason people play shit like Fire Emblem and Disgaea is because of good marketing and history.
>>
Shining Force is great but 2 is a much better game.

Here's a list of challenge mode hacks and other assorted hacks for SF2 if anyone is interested.
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13147
Highly Recommended:
>Nightshades SF2 Battle Royale
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20170
>Stordaths Milestone Edition-12 Man Marathon
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18969
>Dark Claws Shining Tactics Absolute Final Edition
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25459

>Program needed to patch the rom
http://zerosoft.zophar.net/ipswin.php

>Shining Force 2 Tribute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ63P35Bl24
Unfortunately, the developer discontinued this project and has moved on to developing one for android.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTZDHoqASQ
https://www.goybook.com/ShiningEngine/
>>
>>3673848

Nah

People play FE nowadays for shipping

Awakening sold more than any game ever had and wasn't really marketed hard
>>
>>3669585
I feel like I should add there was a SHIT TON of supplemental material that really fleshed out the world and history of SF1 before they switched tone/themes in 2. It's just, y'know, we never SAW any of it here in the west. Then they retconned half of it.
>>
File: Screenshot_12.png (103KB, 1202x901px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_12.png
103KB, 1202x901px
How long do you guys usually wait?

I always lose ambition to finish the game when I do it too soon
>>
>>3676003
To promote?
I do it on level 25 to keep the characters balanced.

Since Janet is recruited on level 24, and Rohde comes on level 1 one battle later, I assume that he's the equivalent of level 25.
>>
>>3676003
Promote? I always do it as soon as it's available so that the early characters don't automatically outclass the pre-promotes who join later. I wish I could bring myself to do it later, though, since the unpromoted attack music is way better than what replaces it.
>>
>>3673669
That's true on some maps but that statement can also be applied to the majority of classes in the game. Lyle's movement, range, and damage are still far from terrible. The original point was simply that not all archers are useless and only inflict five points of damage without serious investment. Magic is still OP, Zylo is still great, and Domingo is still the best.
>>
>>3676003
Just promote right away. Waiting to promote is far from necessary and trying to power level characters will just make the game too easy.
>>
>>3676286
I'm pretty sure I don't want this game to be hard though
>>
>>3676003
Promiting late is a stupid meme. You don't need to powergame. I don't see why you want to make the game less fun for yourself.

Always promote at 20 or when you get the special promotion item for that character.
>>
>>3676091
Nope!. Pre promoted characters are treated as having been promoted at level 20.
>>
>>3676756
No reason not to at least wait until your next equipment requires being promoted to use.
>>
>>3673747
It's not that they're bad, it's more of there are better units out there and the small army size.
Hans will almost always suck, and having 12 units on the field will usually mean there's only room for one archer. Most often people will ditch Hans for Diane, then Diane for Lyle for the better movement.
If the amount deployed would have been bigger Diane would have a permanent spot on my team.
>>
>>3676756
Honestly just steamrolling the last half of the game is pretty damn fun, especially when it feels like you earned it by winning battles during the harder middle portion.
>>
>>3676003
I usually delay promotions for characters with weaker stats, but have good promotions e.g. the rat ninja and the turtle monster. Everyone else I promote ASAP or wait 1 or 2 levels for the heck of it.
>>
>>3676761
And what is the base of your assumption?
>>
File: Medli.jpg (38KB, 472x399px) Image search: [Google]
Medli.jpg
38KB, 472x399px
>>3674284
>those overhead views for tribute

AMAZING!?
>>
>>3668357
>Sega makes shit games now.

Shit meme anon.
Yakuza series
Vanquish
Valkyria Chronicles
House of the Dead Overkill
Alpha Protocol
Bayonetta
>>
File: Screenshot_13.png (123KB, 1201x901px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_13.png
123KB, 1201x901px
if this is wrong then I don't wanna be right
>>
>>3678975
>Vanquish
Not by Sega.
>House of the Dead Overkill
Not by Sega.
>Alpha Protocol
Not by Sega.
>Bayonetta
Not by Sega.
>>
>>3668380

Nice point. I didn't know.
>>
>>3676859
This.

Also, playing in hard Not for autismpoints, just for completionism without having a fast and tanky Master Monk to lay Boost is like suicide from the return to Granseal onwards.
>>
>>3681035
I honestly played on Ouch! mode just because it's way faster
>>
>>3681175
Isn't Ouch! exactly like Normal?
>>
>>3681253
no
>>
>>3681287
What's the difference?
>>
>>3681349
Different AI apparently
>>
>>3681349
Enemy AI goes for healers and the hero in Ouch, whereas in other difficulties they usually just target units that are near them.
>>
>>3681395
sounds like what it should always be. I never worried much about positioning in normal anyway cause enemies are so dumb.
>>
File: IMG_1771.png (99KB, 512x468px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1771.png
99KB, 512x468px
Waiting to promote is liking waiting to have sex.

Once it's done you feel like a HERO but you realize the wait was pointlessly boring and you wish you did it earlier so you could have enjoyed swinging your buster sword around more. You look back at the characters you liked and could have "promoted" and played with a while but waiting eventually led to them leaving your team.
>>
>>3682141
Deep.
>>
>>3681395
>>3681525
They also make decisions like targeting your flyers with archers on purpose and bunching up their casters and fighters to gang up on your guys when you move into range.

They also more actively pursue and draw closer to your units trying to force you to make the first move so they can counter.

This is a lot better than when they sort of just wait around for you to get there.
>>
To anyone who goes for level 30-40 before promotion, what do you do with your mages?

Do you promote them to wizard to keep the spells?
Do you promote them to sorcerer and start grinding all over again?
Do you just drop them because they can't compete with broken attack points?
>>
>>3682141
It's actually only once you reach the point of having the option of class change but choose to abstain that your character growth starts to really happen, and if you rush into it those characters will never really become as impressive and important as they could be. By jumping ahead into the decision, just because you want to FEEL like a Hero, you will never actually BE a Hero. You will just have the same sort of mediocre experience that anyone can have.

But if you actually take the time to build a connection with those characters and you raise them all the way up to Level 40, you get to see something that most people don't get to experience, and don't get to appreciate. You aspire to something beyond immediate gratification; Satisfaction.

Feeling bored after you have sex is a lot worse than feeling bored before, it cheapens the act of sex itself. You ruin it by doing it wrong.
>>
>>3682193
In my current game I changed Kazin to Sorc at about level 33.

It wasn't really any downgrade, his first spell did as much damage as his old best spell, it just was only good for one target now.

Then he quickly started getting more spells, and quickly started raising attack power (which effects spell damage after promotion), and so now he's about level 13 with ?? attack power using the black ring and devil rod and his level one spells do around 50 damage vs a single target.

He needs a running pimento though, otherwise he'll never make it to the combat.
>>
>>3682212
Well, I guess that was a dumb question.
Kazin must become a sorcerer anyway, because as a wizard his best spell will be blaze IV, that is underwhelming during late game, so Tyrin won't have the option to become a sorcerer even if you do play with him.

But how is Kazin compared to a knight or an archer though?
>>
>>3682231
Magic never misses. Kazin always does more than 40 damage even when I pick the wrong element.

Chester needed me to save scum a holy lance on the mithril lottery, while you get one devil rod for free in a pot at the same location. Chester does about half as much damage, sometimes gets two attacks (more often than anyone else actually), and takes twice as much punishment before falling down. Knight weapons are weaker and harder to get than weapons for other characters. I like the one I have, but I don't want more than one.

Elric and May do a lot of damage once you get them either a Grand Cannon or Evil Shot, and May basically stays a glass cannon for the entire game, but man is it ridiculous when she gets that second attack. Elric as a Brass Gunner is fantastic, as long as you got him to a good level before promotion he has no real weaknesses after about 10 levels. Kazin is better because his cursed ring and weapon combo are really strong and while curses sometimes stop physical attacks by stunning the wearer, that hasn't ever happened to me while using magic. That is literally the only reason why Kazin is better than Elric and May for me right now.

The worst characters in my army right now are Luke and Kiwi seriously fuck those guys I should have went with Jaha
>>
>>3682276
>Chester needed me to save scum a holy lance on the mithril lottery
Nigga, his best weapon is the Mist Javelin, it's stronger than the Holy Lance AND ranged.

>The worst characters in my army right now are Luke and Kiwi seriously fuck those guys I should have went with Jaha
Those are poor choices indeed.
>>
>>3682302
Holy Lance got that +5 defense tho
>>
>>3682304
I don't think this is worth.
>>
File: SF_Camp.png (1MB, 1000x703px) Image search: [Google]
SF_Camp.png
1MB, 1000x703px
>Be Max
>Best bro Lowe
>Best girl Mae

Life is good.
>>
>>3682357
Sega definitely had the most RPGs with cross-species romantic pairings
>>
>>3682276

I always thought that May was one of the best characters in SFII, regardless of the low opinion of archer type characters.

I should try using that Evil Shot in my next run. Sounds an interesting experience.

>The worst characters in my army right now are Luke and Kiwi seriously fuck those guys I should have went with Jaha

I've seen SF fans shitting in archers in other forums but never as much as in the birdmen. I guess that class is considered universally bad in both games that no one bothers to remember them.
>>
File: may sf2.jpg (171KB, 571x800px) Image search: [Google]
may sf2.jpg
171KB, 571x800px
This game made me want to have sex with horses
>>
>>3683092
Worst part about birdmen, is that not only they are mediocre by themselves, but also generic swords are the worst weapons in both games.
>>
>>3683092
>archers
They're useful. Promote to Brass Gunner. Pew pew.
>birdmen
Hahaha!
>Luke
Hahahahaha~!
Never too late to replace them. With anyone at all.
>>
File: claudehead.gif (2KB, 64x80px) Image search: [Google]
claudehead.gif
2KB, 64x80px
>>3683268
Say that to my face and see what happens, bitchboy.
>>
>>3683283
>>3683268
>>3683139
I use birdmen in SF1.
I put every flying character in my squad on purpose to have an unstoppable mobile strike team. Bleu, Kokichi, Domingo, Balbory and Amon flying over mountains and quickly fucking up anyone.
Add to that characters with crazy movement and few terrain barriers like Zylo, Guntz with a movement ring, and a well used running pimento on someone else and you have squad that gets across the map and surrounds and destroys enemy groups before they even have time to react.
>>
Saw this played at a friend's house years ago, and never saw it again for years. Then one day my parents plop it down in front of me, "found one of these old Sega games at Salvation, thought you'd like it."

I want to pick it back up but I suck so much at tactics games.
>>
>>3683268
Actually I'm gonna leave Luke on the team just so I can have him use the Dark Sword, which might make him sort of passable.

idk about kiwi man. That fucking turtle.
>>
>>3684413
If you want Kiwi on your team for the long run you will probably have to give him the power ring.
I like him, his flying is good and his fire-breath is just cool. He requires resources to go his way though.
>>
>>3684493
I already fed him the bread so I guess I'm stuck with him forever
>>
>>3684493
The Power Ring isn't enough to save any character from mediocrity.
I always give it to Luke, because early in the game he becomes an ok character, and makes the battle against the Kraken much more manageable, but a few levels later he just starts to suck again regardless of his equipments.
>>
>>3683268
of the birdmen luke is the most usable, promoting at 40 makes him about as strong as anyone else

>>3684493
>>3684550
kiwi is really not viable even if you give him the bread. all weaponless fighters get huge attack bonuses but the fact kiwi has a special attack that has a very high chance to trigger works against him after promotion as his regular attack will be hitting much harder then his fire breath extremely quickly
>>
>>3684687
Kiwi is viable if want him to be, but you have to want it. I used him all the way to Zeon.

>>3684550
I read that using boost items before promotion isn't a good idea. I'm not sure about the truth in it.
>>
>>3685202
In Shining Force your characters lose almost half of their stats once promoted, that's why.
In Shining Force II there's no problem, except for the Running Pimento, because your MOV resets to default after promotion.
>>
Where do I get started with the Shining Games?
I only played the ARPG on the GBA
>>
>>3685341
By the games developed by Camelot/Sega CD4
Shining Force, Shining Force II, Shining Force III, Shining Force CD, Shining Force Final Conflict.

Play the one you feel more confortable with, or the one with better score, they were made to be standalone games.
>>
>>3685378
Thanks
>>
>>3685378
>>3685397
That advice is tight, however bear in mind that Final Conflict is a direct sequel to Shining Force I and its story hinges on you knowing that game's plot. It's entire allure is fanservice for SF 1 and 2, so I would leave that game for last. It's not nearly as enjoyable if you're not familiar with the other games and is quite mediocre without that to pull you in.
>>
>>3684397
These games are pretty easy. I highly recommend that you pick it back up.
Thread posts: 149
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.