[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/ There seems to be an often overlooked, maybe not even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: oh god no.png (24KB, 897x572px) Image search: [Google]
oh god no.png
24KB, 897x572px
Hey /vr/

There seems to be an often overlooked, maybe not even known about, stabilization and even marginal recovery between 1996 and 1997 in Sega's income.

What happened? Was this when they started offering four games with the Saturn?

Also, this graph hurts to look at. That herculean struggle.
>>
>>3665857
The 96 holiday season saw 3 free games with every Saturn purchase. It seems to me like that played a role in curbing off the income drop. That's pretty incredible, considering it was dropping at like 10 billion yen.
>>
If that graph is accurate then Sega blew it because they should've been able to make up that deficit on merchandising alone.
>>
>>3665892
It is correct. I have no idea what happened. When they cancelled the Saturn their money plummeted, obviously, in 98.
>>
>>3665857
I would consider the information on this chart to have a 1 year delay. That is, a loss reported in 1998 actually happened in 1997, etc.
>>
>>3665937
Its all of the loss for that year.
>>
>>3665950
The nature of financial reporting tends to reflect figures for a previous year. For example, an annual report for 97/98 will really be a report for 97 and not 98.
>>
>>3665961
Yeah but this is overall loss by year. Not the same kind of report.
>>
>>3665961
That wouldn't make sense. That means 2004 on this chart is actually 2005.
>>
>>3665970
Exactly the same kind of report. It's financial.

>>3665972
Other way around. 2004 on the chart reflects actual losses incurred in 2003. They were just reported in 2004.

Basically, the financial report for a particular year doesn't come out until the actual year has ended (i.e. it is reported the following year).
>>
File: cappp.png (21KB, 897x572px) Image search: [Google]
cappp.png
21KB, 897x572px
>>3665983
problem solved.
>>
>>3665983
wat
>>
>>3666484
hmmm
>>
>>3665857
>Was this when they started offering four games with the Saturn?

US Saturn sales have absolutely nothing to do with Segas finances.

Saturn turned a profit in Japan (where they sold 90% of it), and they made gigantic bucks from their flourishing arcade business.

1998 is the Dreamcast launch. The DC launch was godawful in japan and I don't think the machine was ever as successful there as the Saturn. Plus they nixed all Saturn development, and the arcade business made less and less revenue (model 3 was more expensive and less popular, arcades were starting to fold). And Sony started doing their strongest years after 98.
>>
So what pulled them back up out of red in the early 2000s?
>>
>>3667520
successful sales as a 3rd-party
>>
>>3667397
>Saturn turned a profit in Japan
[ citation required ]
>>
>>3668057
It's pretty common sense, look at how many imports we never got.
>>
>>3668074
Common sense doesn't cut it. We don't know how much software they had to sell to offset losses on hardware.

Only thing we can say with confidence is they lost less money than the west.
>>
>>3667520
>So what pulled them back up out of red in the early 2000s?

They pulled out of the hardware market entirely. Yeah, it cost that much just to keep pushing the Dreamcast.

>>3667648
>successful sales as a 3rd-party

Nah, back in 2002 they didn't exactly have stellar games out yet. They had what, a few ported DC titles for PS2 and Gamecube.

>>3668087
Their combined software sales were in the millions in Japan alone for the Saturn. Something like 7-8 million software sold in total according to the famitsu charts. At 5800 yen price that gives you 45+ billion income over 4 years. Enough to put a dent on that chart, even if you have to remove the manufacturing costs (and some of their best selling titles, like VF2 with 1.4 million, was sold at 6800 yen).

Dreamcast never sold as big in Japan. It did sell way better in America, but it also had significantly higher operating costs (logistics alone cost more, plus all the marketing, and their aggressive pricing).
>>
>>3668123
Still it puts a question mark over their hardware costs. They obviously spend quite a bit on marketing the Saturn in Japan. All those high profile Segata Sanshiro ads.

>aggressive pricing
Relative to manufacturing costs, Saturn's pricing was a lot more aggressive than Dreamcast.
>>
>>3668135
>All those high profile Segata Sanshiro ads.

I bet that all of them combined did not cost as much as, say, their E3 2000 show.

>Relative to manufacturing costs, Saturn's pricing was a lot more aggressive than Dreamcast.

I'm not really all that sure about that. The Saturn at least got a lot of hardware simplifications over the years. The Dreamcast only had 1 major revision, and that mainly moved some of the CD drive logic to the board, and removed MIL-CD compatibility... and by that time they were selling it for half price too.

And it's stupid to regurgitate that line about the Saturn being expensive to manufacture, since we don't even have an anecdote with a single, solid price to compare against. Even for the DC we only have one.
>>
>>3667397
>1998 is the Dreamcast launch.

Yeah, where they lost even more money. OP was talking about that area between 1995 and 1996 where Sega actually made money.
>>
>>3668168
>The Saturn at least got a lot of hardware simplifications over the years

[ citation required ]

How about a photo of a late revision motherboard?

>And it's stupid to regurgitate that line about the Saturn being expensive to manufacture

It doesn't take a genius if you compare the motherboards between Saturn, and the PS1 or N64.
>>
File: 1480794748526.jpg (90KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1480794748526.jpg
90KB, 1024x768px
>questions about how the hell Sega stabilized for a year

>console war
>>
>>3665857
lmao saturn and dreamcast fucking killed sega. Get rekt sonic furry fags.
>>
>>3668362
no
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.