[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Genesis Controllers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: gencontroller.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gencontroller.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
I recently bought a Genesis and it seems like there are way too many controller designs.
Which ones are the best to get?
>>
There's two different controllers for the Genesis.
>>
That one.
>>
That's a good one unless you need the six button for whatever game you're playing and then get the six button

????????
>>
>>3665621
The original is the best unless you are playing fighting games since switching from the punch and the kicks is a pain in the ass using start.
>>
>>3665648
What games would you need 6 buttons for?
>>
>>3665625
There are at least 3 revisions of just the 3 Button controller in NA alone, as well as the two official Sega 6 button controllers (turbo and non), as well as the official Majesco 6 button controller.
>>
>>3665652

Fighting games mostly. In Ranger X you can use the X and Z buttons to control your vehicle individually. There are a few other non-fighting games that use the extra buttons, but most Genesis games can be fully played on the 3 button controller.
>>
File: 3btn02.jpg (229KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
3btn02.jpg
229KB, 1024x683px
>>3665621
this one
>>
Genesis 6-button> Genesis 3-button

Both are great tho
>>
>>3665652

Fighters and Ranger X were already mentioned

Some games -can- be played entirely with the 3-button but you have to do weird shit like hit A and C at the same time, like Jurassic Park, Batman Forever, Lion King etc. play better with the six button
>>
>>3665657
... There are two.
The 3 button, and six button.

Then there's the arcade joystick.
>>
>>3665662
Some beat'em ups also use it; Bare Knuckle 3 and Comix Zone come to mind.

I think Judge Dredd also uses it.

Toejam & Earl 2 gives you hotkeys on the 6-button pad for some of the extra moves you'd otherwise access from the options (like the Funk Scan or Panic button). Comix Zone does the same thing incidentally.
>>
>>3665621
Just go with the official 3 button. Only games I can think of that require the 6 button are for the 32X.
>>
>>3665621
later 6 button with saturn dpad and later 3 button, later models for both types should have plug ends with a bulge on both sides of the connector

>>3665625
>>3665708
you might be a retard, may wanna get that checked
>>
>>3665841
there's a sweet shinobi hack that takes advantage of the extra buttons
>>
I prefer the 3 button because my hands are big.
>>
>>3665849
Post the other ones you are talking about. You must have been born in the 2000s.
>>
File: segenctl.jpg (128KB, 1146x666px)
segenctl.jpg
128KB, 1146x666px
>>3666040
http://segaretro.org/Control_Pad_(Mega_Drive)
http://segaretro.org/Six_Button_Control_Pad_(Mega_Drive)

The 6 button in the pic with all grey buttons are the Majesco controllers. IMO they're pretty garbage. The official 6-button and the later (all white) 3-button controllers are best. The later 3-button controllers have metal bearings in the d-pad like the 6-button and Saturn controllers.
>>
I prefer the 6-button controllers. The Japanese ones (upper left) is smaller than the American ones (lower left). The official ones are great, and I would say the Hyperkin GN6 controllers are 95% like the official ones. However do not get the really cheap China quality "Fighting Putt" variations that I see a lot of online (plastic feels really rubbery cheap, the XYZ buttons really stick out, and every part sounds loose when you shake it) ... like a lot of "fighting putt" online from stores to youtube videos recommending the 6-button controller (it is literal bootleg quality, and will misread inputs worse than 360 D-pads).

The Hori Mega Commander is the only one I have of its kind, but it was cheap because it was missing turbo switches which I replaced a few (under $10), it is just like a SNES controller but the D-pad plastic is just slightly harder than a real SNES controller, for those wanting a 3 over 3 layout on a SNES styled controller on the Genesis. The white Retrobit controller is also a Genesis controller shaped like a SNES controller (concave for upper left 2 buttons, convex for lower right 2 buttons) which is pretty close to actual SNES controllers minus the rounded start and mode (select) buttons; two of them came with my clone console and are surprisingly good.

These are the only 4-player games I have for the system, got plenty of 6-button pads. I recently got the EA game in hopes to maybe learn that sport, but never got around to it. Come on over, I think we can have some fun.
>>
File: SJ6000front.jpg (30KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
SJ6000front.jpg
30KB, 600x450px
>>3665621
this one by a mile
>>
>>3666040
>>3666117
bottom, middle right is a winner. right dpad, right connector.
bottom, far left looks like it has the right connector. all white buttons generally mean a later model, but it still may have a shit dpad. bumps on the connector, like that 6 button, make it easier to identify without taking it apart.
>>
>>3666317
glorious saturn dpad is glorious
>>
File: Spot_the_combo_breaker.jpg (611KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Spot_the_combo_breaker.jpg
611KB, 2592x1944px
>>3666517
Yeah that's my personal favorite controller. However, I do not have a converter for it to go down to a Genesis. I think for that system, the 6-button pads are plenty good enough.
>>
>>3665621
Mik and buutsy are grate amirit?
>>
>>3665852
You can use 6 buttons with a normal cart, it just requires a code that nobody seems to know about
>>
Get the standard three button one, wonderful controller in my opinion. You only need the six button controller for a couple of games I think, like Comix Zone really benefits from having more buttons.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.