[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LUFIA THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: Lufia.png (376KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lufia.png
376KB, 1920x1080px
Hows this game and Lufia 2? Is it worth getting the physical carts?
>>
Skip Fortress of Doom and just play Rise of the Sinistrals.
>>
>>3665083
The first one will drive you mad with random encounters every third second.
Lufia 2 is very very good, but repetitive.
Go to town, go to dungeon and kill boss, suddenly the bridge or whatever is repaired and you can move to the next area where there is a town, a dungeon and a new broken something.
>>
>>3665110

Can you explain why?
>>
Get Frue Lufia.
Get use the patch that enables Retry and Gift modes
Play Gift Mode.
>>
>>3665125
The first game isn't bad, but the second is a prequel that doesn't require knowing it. Also Lufia 2 is far better.

It's your choice though.
>>
first one is generic and grindy DQ clone
second one is a nice simple rpg with puzzles, and the IP meter is like an older and better version of FFVII's limit breaks
>>
Lufia 3 is the best because Aima is in it.
>>
>>3665083
If you liked Phantasy Star 4 you will enjoy Lufia 2.
>>
i like the first one better. all the grinding and treasure and egg hunting
>>
>>3665083
>Is it worth getting the physical carts?

Considering it's perfectly emulated nowadays (input lag doesn't really matter cause they're both turn based RPGs) you can just play it on an emulator or flashcart unless you're nostalgic about it but that's probably not the case here.

>>How's this game and Lufia 2?

They're both enjoyable JRPGs but nothing special compared to other console RPGs from the era. Lufia 2 might be more accessible if you don't have prior experience to it while Lufia 1 is more of a old school RPG.

>>your choice though
>>
>>3665149
Lufia: The Legend Returns is a great game.
The dungeons get repetitive as fuck, but that never stopped me from playing through it twice within a year, the game's got charm to it. Great music too, and the shit at the end of the game really surprised me.
>>
>>3665125
Lufia 1 is highly antiquated even for SNES standards.
If you select all party members to attack one enemy and xe dies after the first hit then the other three characters will attack the air instead of attacking the other enemies.
>>
>>3665307
I'm surprised thats a problem on an SNES game. Only game I remember having a similar issue was the NES version of FF1.
>>
Fortress of Doom is very dated and primitive as other anons have stated.

Lufia 2 is a good b-tier JRPG. What this means is that it has nothing that truly places it above its better contemporaries like FFVI or Chrono Trigger, but it is a very solid and playable experience. The best parts of the game are the interesting use of puzzles to fill the dungeons and that enemy encounters are triggered on map. The problems with it is the so-so graphics, the meandering repetitive story (though with a well-done romance subplot), and the lack of anything that really "wows" the player. Lufia 2 does have some pretty good music though.

Haven't played the third one yet.
>>
>>3665415

you forgot the Ancient Cave, which is probably the best side quest i have seen in a 16-bit JRPG
>>
I enjoyed the first one, but a lot of people don't. It's old-school even for the time and plays a lot more like an NES game than other RPGs from the same timeframe. 2 is great, kind of similar to Wild Arms with more tools and puzzles.
>>
>>3665110
Skip rise of the sinistrals and just play Wild Arms
>>
>>3665431
>kind of similar to Wild Arms with more tools and puzzles.
Less tools, same amount of puzzles.

Actually Wild Arms dungeons are much more holistic and the puzzles are far more believable and interesting in the context of the setting.
>>
>>3665447
you messed up the meter you fucking idiot
>>
When will Erim's suffering end
>>
>>3665420
>long grindy randomized sidequest dungeon
It's okay I guess. Not something I think most people care that much about
>>
>>3665603
i thought it was neat, but i also hadn't played a roguelike and my first run didn't give me great drops so it was tense and battles were actually meaningful. hadn't experienced that in a jrpg before.

lufia 2 was also the game that taught me to use savestates. i hope there was a clue to warn the player and i just missed it. if not, that was a dick move to serve as a model for ordinary dick moves to aspire to.
>>
>>3665113
>>3665258
>>3665307
>>3665415
>>3665431
>>3665431

Thanks for your opinions.
>>
Lufia 1 is the last of the oldschool JRPGs that threw imbalanced encounters at you and didn't care if you lived or died and sometimes you had to grind to get powerful enough to get through things. Lufia 2, on the other hand, was the first of the hand-holding JRPGs which were super easy and you had to be an idiot to lose at.

Storywise, if you skip Lufia 1, you'll be surprised at what happens at the end whereas if you don't you wont, since the ending to Lufia 2 is literally the prologue of Lufia 1. However, if you skip Lufia 1 you also won't recognize all of the various side quests, story bits and easter eggs in Lufia 2 that reference Lufia 1, including the dialog that happens after the credits. So pick your poison.

Lufia 2 is a better all-around game, but that doesn't mean you should just skip it like some people say. They're both worthwhile experiences if you like retro snes JRPGs.
>>
>>3665721

>Lufia 2 is a better all-around game, but that doesn't mean you should just skip it like some people say. They're both worthwhile experiences if you like retro snes JRPGs.

Great answer.
>>
>>3665125
Random battles are horrifically common, you will get into a fight every 1-5 steps.

Combat is shit and kinda requires some thought I guess maybe. Lets say there are 2 trees and a rat. A melee character can select attacking the trees, but you do not get to decide what tree. if a tree dies before said melee gets to attack, it will default to the other tree. If both trees die the melee will swing at nothing (remember FF1 NES?).

Now spells are another thing, they are so all oddly named it will be confusing at first or you will need to read an online guide. There are also two types of AoE spells, one that will attack both trees at once, or both trees and the rat. There are also single target spells that will follow the melee example I gave before, casting at nothing, etc.

Once you get used to the combat system and get into a few random battles to get a feel of your enemy HP you can get fights done fast, but each new area is a small learning curve to quickly get done with all the fucking random battles
>>
>>3667258

but theres a way to fix this -but is kind of annoying-: use sweet water. Since the fourth city in the game, you can buy it and reduces the encounter rate like in 50%. Also it tells you when it ran out.
>>
>>3667258

Is the random battle consistency worse than Breath of Fire?
>>
Maybe it's because Lufia 1 was the first RPG that I played on the snes, but I really enjoyed it. Then I played Lufia 2 on emulators many lyears later, and I also liked it.
But the most difficult and grindy is by far Lufia 1.

IMO the sprites in 1 were better than 2.
Sprites in 2 look childish in a chibi way, and the ones in 1 look like proper RPG villains.
Soundtrack on both is fucking amazing.

I think the plot is genuinely good, however the way the game progress is repetitive as mentioned before (collect items before progressing to the next part).
Ancient Cave in Lufia 2 was pretty good for one of the first random generated dungeons in rpgs. Unpredictability led to really frustrating and funny moments.

I had no problems with combat

I honestly wish there were a romhack or some fan made sequel to lufia 2 for the snes (not gba), that could increase the difficulty and add more enemies and party members. I would play the shit out of it for hours.
>>
lufia i is a very slow game. Its solid, there's nothing flat out "wrong" with it, but the most unique thing it does is the intro.

Lufia II has a lot more variety and a much faster pace
>>
>>3667297
Probably, I think Lufia 1 has the worst encounter rate I've seen post-NES
>>
>>3665446
OG Wild Arms has less puzzles than Lufia II, and I think Rise of the Sinistrals' puzzles are usually better. But Wild Arms is more believable and has better dungeon themes in the first place. Media.Vision did a great job of building on Lufia II's legacy through Wild Arms III regardless.
>>
>>3665463
Play Lufia: The Legend Returns on the gbc and find out, anon.
It's on the 3DS eShop.
>>
>>3669243
OK, think of it this way, compare them to each other with -all of the block pushing and switch flipping puzzles removed-, so you can compare them more as RPGs and stories and holistic dungeon designs without all the Videogamey puzzle fluff.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying I dislike Puzzle fluff, I just think that the riddles and lateral thinking puzzles in Wild Arms were a lot more interesting and made a better contribution to the story and atmosphere. Lufia II just makes me feel like I'm getting sandbagged with never-ending dungeons and bosses and blocks to push around and the puzzles don't usually seem to have a lot to do with the area you find them in
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.