[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeon Crawler Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16

File: eotb.png (12KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
eotb.png
12KB, 320x200px
Never tried a dungeon crawler before, what are some good ones to get started with.

General dungeon crawler discussion as well.
>>
>>3663690
You posted a pretty good one
>>
File: lands-of-lore-Mac02.gif (66KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
lands-of-lore-Mac02.gif
66KB, 640x400px
>>3663690
You gotta play Lands of Lore

It's a fantastic dungeon crawler that is more casual then most, but that makes it all the more easy to get into, plus it has some great voice acting and an awesome story.

You can get it in a two pack on gog for 6 bucks, and that comes with the equally awesome (but different) sequel.

Also Patrick Stewart is in the game, and he doesn't just up and dies at the start like a certain other game.
>>
Might and Magics are good starting games but they're more open.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>3663690
>>
I don't usually care to delve into this genre (I've outgrown my old ability to enjoy grinding and I never cared to draw maps), but for some reason I tried Dragon Wars a while ago. It's more primitive than the ones being shown in this thread thus far but it was still fun for me.
>>
>>3663818
I played that thing blind a few years back. It has a few flaws but I had a great time with it as well. I literally wrote my own guide for the thing as I was playing and had a blast.

Also I suggest Dungeon Master II. I played it oddly on Sega CD as my first of these type of games and loved the hell out of it. My personal challenge is playing it with only one character and beating it that way.
>>
>>3663818
There's plenty of dungeon crawlers without grinding or mapmaking. There's third party automapping programs for games like Wizardry 6 or 7 too.
>>
>>3663807
Ancient The Deathwatch pls leave, you are bad and nobody likes you or wants you around.
>>
Stonekeep (PC)
>>
>>3663690
Real time dungeon crawlers (maze RPGs) vs turn based dungeon crawlers (maze RPGs).
Which is better and why?
>>
>>3664141
Why not both?
Also nice meme my friend.
>>
File: Victor.png (7KB, 177x121px) Image search: [Google]
Victor.png
7KB, 177x121px
>>3663773
Fine work, except for rust spot.
Ten crowns.
>>
>>3663690
Shining in the darkness on Genesis was really good. Also arcana for snes is supposed to be good. .
>>
>>3663690
Eye of the beholder, man.
Does anyone know a way to get a version of it working with the Sega CD soundtrack?

Besides the sega version of course. I would pay someone to somehow get that to work with the PC version of the game.

It's perfect dungeon crawling music of the 2e era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T53N_JS1lc
>>
Ultima Underworld. You have to play it at some point anyway so you might as well start with it.
>>
Dark Heart of Uukrul
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
>>3663690

Not the traditional rouge-like / dungeon crawler but very fun.
>>
I know it's not retro, but I'm having a really hard time with Legend of Grimrock 2.

I can't even get past the first boss without being raped.

Did I screw up my party? Should I just restart from scratch?
>>
>>3664597
shameless cash-in on old mechanics, which made different games so great. There is no feel in this modern piece of crap.
>>
>>3664601
Ok m8
>>
>>3664597
You can't really go wrong with a basic party composition. Just remember guns suck
>>
Any games like Ultima Underworld where you don't have to manage an entire party? I prefer going in solo.
>>
>>3664589
very repetitive and poorly balanced
>>
>>3664589
>rouge

It's rogue you god damn subhuman.
>>
File: hack.jpg (75KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
hack.jpg
75KB, 640x400px
>>3664980

Dungeon Hack
>>
I think Brandish for the SNES is a good one to start with, since it has an overhead view and a map, so you're less likely to get lost

it's still grid-based like most other dungeon crawlers though
>>
>>3664980

Vagrant Story? I haven't played Underworld, but from what I've seen, it may be a similar fare. VS is probably extremely deep by comparison though.
>>
>>3664980
King's Field and Arx Fatalis, though the latter is not retro.
>>
I need a good non-fantasy dungeon crawler. Any reccomendations?
>>
>>3666752
System Shock
>>
File: albion.jpg (763KB, 785x1015px) Image search: [Google]
albion.jpg
763KB, 785x1015px
>>3666752

Albion by Blue Byte

The graphics are top-down in general and first person in dungeons and cities.
>>
Towers: Lord Baniff's Deceit ist in real time!
>>
the Etrian Odyssey series is really, really good AND NOT RETRO but I highly recommend it
>>
>>3667058
Albion isn't that much of a dungeon crawler and it should still count as fantasy for the largest part.
>>
>>3667098
I've heard that EO, while good Wizardry clones, have lots of grinding and it's easy to gimp your character with bad builds.
>>
>>3667184
You can reset your characters at any point in EO. It is a bit grindy at times, but the biggest grind is money, but that can be mitigated with a dedicated harvesting team that can ward away encounters.
>>
>>3667184
My experience comes solely from EO4... you can respec really easily for a relatively minor (and non-permanent) penalty. And I've never needed to grind for xp or money, although money was tight during the first chapter.
>>
>>3666752
Shin Megami Tensei
Legacy: Realm of Terror
>>
>>3664601
What a bunch of empty buzzwords. I honestly enjoyed it more than EotB2
>>
File: Stonekeep.jpg (63KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Stonekeep.jpg
63KB, 970x545px
>>3663690
>>3663690
>>
>>3667098
Play Pokeymans Mystery Dungeon instead.
>>
File: 62.png (4KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
62.png
4KB, 512x448px
first 2 shin megami tensei games on snes/sfc are pretty good
>>
>>3664361
Victor is a dick.
>>
File: 1-angband-01-1.png (24KB, 484x382px) Image search: [Google]
1-angband-01-1.png
24KB, 484x382px
for a roguelike I would suggest "Angband" a very deep but focused and fun dungeon crawler in Tolkien's legendarium. you have to go down 100 floors of Melkor/Morgoth's (the first dark lord of Middle-Earth to whom Sauron was his top lieutenant, he's pretty much a god) fortress of Angband and kill him.

for a modern game with retro sensibilities I suggest "Barony" a PC dungeon crawler that's sort of a multi-player friendly Ultima Underworld-Lite with heavy roguelike influences.
>>
>>3669590
Personally I like the variant Xangband. It's neat.
>>
>>3669763
How? Basin just says that it's with relaxed difficulty and OP item and loot tweaks. Angband was easy enough combat wise already.
>>
>>3669590
I actually recently played Diablo 1 for the first time and moving to Diablo 2 was a huge disappointment. From my understanding D1 is heavily influenced by this game. Will I get a similar experience (ignoring the difference between real-time and TB combat)? I've only played modern roguelikes and Nethack and one of the parts I really enjoyed about Diablo was the area design and monster design.
>>
>>3669590
This is a fun game

>>3669850
You stock up on supplies in town and slay monsters in the dungeon, I don't think it's otherwise got much of a Diablo thing going on
>>
>>3669850
It is true, Angband (and Moria before it) heavily influenced the design of Diablo 1 (Diablo 2 was too "wide" and enemy hit boxes made for too much clicking, the game is a ton of fun if you have a spellcaster though, I suggest Necromancer with a focus on summoning and Bone projectiles and buffs/debuffs) from what I have experienced from the original Diablo, I can say that you would enjoy just about anything from the "Moria School" of roguelikes, especially Angband (as the game is widely regarded to be the best product of that school of design) If you have read any of Tolkien's works (especially the Silmarillion if you have the attention span of god) you will like the easter eggs and atmosphere, as it is -- as far as roguelikes go -- steeped in the lore of middle-earth's 1st and 2nd age lore, which is part of why I play it over other roguelikes. it has deep systems within reason and never looses it focus, so there is no glass ceiling or brick wall to break through like with games like dwarf fortress and the like.
>>
>>3670040
Both are good games. At it's heart D1 is a rougelike dungeon crawler (play an iron man run and you'll see it shine) with emphasis on the moody and meditative single player atmosphere. Still yet to see a game replicate that game's feeling.

D2 feels like an old school crusade against the forces of evil with a band of people. Cause that's what the story shifted to. I imagine the game was best to be played back in the day when it was fresh and people where still leveling and discovering the campaign over b.net still very fun singleplayer and enjoyable, not as much atmosphere as D1 but beautiful visuals and super addictive gameplay.

my saves are gone but I have completed hell with every class in singleplayer before lol, probably going to do it again sometime soon
>>
>>3664134
So highly underrated. What an amazing game.
>>
>>3670089
the game is indeed great but it came out around the time FMV was starting to get old and overdone, being surpassed by 3D graphics that, while still very primitive, were far less cheesy than FMV. I think stonekeep was being associated with that cancer. That, and every RPG developer and their grandmother were developing first-person dungeon crawlers with very similar design without any innovation since "Dungeon Master" besides different RPG mechanics (stat names and non-runic spell systems) and gimmicks that had little impact on gameplay (this is much like FPS and "the Ubisoft game" over these past 10 years or so) so by the time Stonekeep came out it was being put in a market so over-saturated with games of the same design to a market that was sick of them. regardless of its good mechanics and individual merits , it's sorta void when nearly everyone has played that "game" before. The only ones we remember are the ones that broke that standard, like the early TES games, Ultima Underworld, System Shock 1 (kinda, as it is linked to many of the design tenets that the devs had previously put into Underworld), and a few others. Not trying to shit on Stonekeep, I personally like it, but the reason that it's underrated is because the market could not have been anymore against it at the time of its release.
>>
File: 20161210171015_1.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161210171015_1.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Legend of Grimrock series for modern crawling
>>
Are there any other turn-based free-roaming games similar to M&M6 or Wizardry 8? I don't mind the tile based exploration games but I really wish I could play something like W8 again where It's not all tile by tile movement.
>>
>>3670764
There is shittton of japanese dungeon crawlers, still made today. Of course they are all untranslated. They made like 50 wizardries alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_bORps1PB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGl85jDTkA
>>
>>3671071
are you saying that ToCS2 is a dungeon crawler? I played a few hours of the first game with its garbage anime writting and overly complex gameplay that adds little to the combat.
>>
>>3671105
I'm saying that shitton of dungeon crawlers are made in japan while it basically died in west after wizardry 8
>>
File: Lands_of_Lore.webm (960KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Lands_of_Lore.webm
960KB, 1280x800px
>>3663773
this
>>
wizardry gaiden iv is really good
>>
>>3671071
Wow both of those games look terrible.
>>
>>3671174
Watched a guy play this on Twitch, seems like a good game.
>>
>>3671252
Why do you have cute anime girls?
>>
>>3671174
this is making me seasick, good job on the realism there
>>
File: HANDS_ON.jpg (178KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
HANDS_ON.jpg
178KB, 600x600px
>>3663773
>>
For lack of a more specific thread I have a Wizardry 8 challenge you guys can probably help with.

I'm about to start a playthrough and I'm trying to make a party that is able to use most things I find, everything barring the very specific race\job items.

You can assume:
>8 Party slots
>No multi-classing
>Everything means somebody who can use 1 handed swords AND 2 handed swords.
>The 2 RPC slots can be any job.

My biggest issue so far is that hybrid characters are unable to use the highest level magic which preferably I'd like to not miss out on, my concession so far is that there's overlap in the instrument\gadgets I'll have access to.
>>
+1 for Ultima Underworld
>>
>>3667098
Dark Spire is better.
>>
>>3671071
>Dungeon Travelers 2 video

I can see why it wasn't localized.
>>
>>3670145
I will be forever bummed we'll never get Stonekeep 2: Godmaker
Instead we get possibly the worst game ever made for Wii, whose name I will not sully this thread with.
>>
>>3665016
Shotguns are fun, faggot.
>>
>>3672176
It was. Just with some cucksorship.
>>
I wish there were more games that directly aped Wizardry. I really liked the hub-based exploration approach, where you're delving into a dungeon but you go back to a main town to rest and level up and buy gear and such. It felt more like you were guiding a tabletop experience or something.
>>
>>3672693
Mordor/Demise
>>
>>3672726
That fucking website is something else, holy shoot. Thanks!
>>
>>3667110
Yeah, but it's a great game.
>>
Skyrim is best
>>
>>3671750
>My biggest issue so far is that hybrid characters are unable to use the highest level magic which preferably I'd like to not miss out on
Use Bishops
>>
>>3671895
I second this. Came out in 2008, but feels very retro. Totally recommend everywhere to play it.
>>
>>3663690
nice
>>
File: liberation3[1].jpg (54KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
liberation3[1].jpg
54KB, 768x576px
Captive and Liberation: Captive II
>>
Wizardry 4
>>
Best console dungeon crawler for a newcomer to the genre?
>>
>>3677713
Ultima Underworld
>>
>>3677713
Maybe Shining in the Darkness but you might still need to draw a map
>>
>try Ishar
How did this pile of shit pass muster in 1992?
>saving costs money
>controls suck
>movement increments are tiny but things suddenly pop in and out of view in the periphery
>shrubbery everywhere
>where the fuck am I?
>am I supposed to map this shit out myself?
>gold is per character (at least you can share)
>healing is slow as fuck, just use spells and first aid
>don't know if first aid is working or not
>don't know if anything i'm doing has any effect
>does sleeping actually heal?
>combat is way too fast and it's just button mashing (turn down cycles -> slower combat, but also slower everything)

Should I just forget about it? EOB spoiled me with it's tight maps and gameplay.
>>
>>3670173
I've still gotta finish the first one. I don't think I've made it past level 5 because I keep taking a break and then restarting when I go back to it.

Anybody got thoughts on the other modern dungeon crawlers? Fall of the Dungeon Guardians looks moderately interesting.
>>
File: crystal-dragon-amiga.jpg (172KB, 800x1029px) Image search: [Google]
crystal-dragon-amiga.jpg
172KB, 800x1029px
Amiga had some pretty good dungeon crawlers, like Crystal Dragon [pic].

Another one that comes to mind is Black Crypt, an early Raven Software title.
>>
>>3667413
BEWARE

Glunk, nah-nah
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.