[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Turn-Based RPG's on SNES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13

File: CT.jpg (660KB, 1240x700px) Image search: [Google]
CT.jpg
660KB, 1240x700px
>>
Lufia 2

Hands down.
>>
>>3663331

Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Those 2 are what I would consider as close to perfect as you can get.

Then from here:

Final Fantasy 5 is great if you love customization andd the FF job system

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals if you like some more in depth puzzles in your jrpg.

Then theres stuff like Tactics Ogre; let us cling together and front mission if you like more strategy/sim rpgs.
>>
>Quickly, everybody recommend the most common and well-known RPGs for the SNES!
>>
>>3663958
Lol some of those are still some of the best.
>>
>>3663938
>>3663952

Lufia 2 is a fun puzzle game, but a terrible RPG. Not a single battle in the entire game goes beyond "buff, attack, heal." The ancient cave is the only thing that really tests you, and that's just because you have very limited resources in there. Definitely still a game worth playing. The puzzles are great. Just don't expect any riveting battles.

My personal recommendation is Live-A-Live. I'm honestly hard pressed to consider it one of the best, but it's a very cool game that I greatly appreciate.
>>
Aside from the obvious answers of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6?

Shin Megami Tensei 2
Seiken Densetsu 3
Tales of Phantasia
Breath of Fire 2
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Dragon Quest 5
Dragon Quest 6
Romancing SaGa
Romancing SaGa 2
Romancing SaGa 3
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Live-A-Live
Bahamut Lagoon
Treasure of the Rundas
Tactics Ogre
>>
File: ff6.jpg (82KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ff6.jpg
82KB, 1024x768px
>>3663958
>mfw i see no ff6 in this thread

best villain evah
fight me
>>
File: 1468462436030.jpg (61KB, 680x498px) Image search: [Google]
1468462436030.jpg
61KB, 680x498px
>>3664043
>>3664041
>Aside from the obvious answers of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6?
>>
>>3664060
sorry, the anon above me posted that while i was searching for a good kefka pic. i saw it immediately

my bad dawgeridoo
>>
File: 1464118438976.png (675KB, 567x839px) Image search: [Google]
1464118438976.png
675KB, 567x839px
>>3663331
My favorites are Earthbound (kill me), Metal Max Returns, and Dragon Quest V.
>>
>>3664125
Marry me.
>>
>>3664125

Why do you like Earthbound?
>>
>>3664125
>Metal Max Returns

Didn't know there were any other Metal Max fans here... or anywhere. No one ever speaks of the series.

There really should be more post-apocalyptic RPGs, retro or otherwise.
>>
File: msh400.jpg (91KB, 400x613px) Image search: [Google]
msh400.jpg
91KB, 400x613px
>>3665154
I loved it too, there was a thread some time ago and I opened another one when I finished the game but didn't have a single answer.

>There really should be more post-apocalyptic RPGs

Just more games like Metal Max should be nice.
>>
>>3665212
>>3665154
what do you guys think of the DS ones?
>>
>>3665607
I think i'm a filthy gaijin who doesn't know japanese.
I could try them one of these days though, I just remembered I had a DS.
>>
>>3665153
why not?
>>
>>3663952
I bloody HATE turn based RPG's, and Chrono Trigger and SMRPG are some of my favorite games ever. Likeable characters, good graphic design, charm and atmosphere can carry a game a long way.

FFV, despite my hate for the genre, I played much longer than most TBRPG's because the job system was fun to me.
>>
>>3663331

NA releases only:

Chrono Trigger
Earthbound

Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II

Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III

Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
>>
>>3666426

Does FFV have replayability? How does it compare to IV and VI?
>>
>>3665607
I'm neither of the anons you're responding to but here's my two cents on the DS MM.

MM3 is very good, it has a little different main theme compared to 1 or 2, it also doesn't tie into the lore of 1&2 directly, it's more like a self contained story.
The map is seriously big, there's quite a lot of events and quests all around and the non linearity of it all is top notch outside of the usual MM trend of giving you a small starting area with more or less linear events for introducing you to the game and plot.
Gameplay wise, the game lets you handle a party with a fixed MC, your dog and two party members which can be customized with different genders(including Okama) and different classes with different stats and skillsets, there's LOTS of vehicles, tanks, cars and motorbikes, all with the usual Mad Max vibe, the vehicle customization depth is absurd and completely over the top to the point that you can put a fucking railgun on your bike if you have the money to do so. You can also make a cyborg tank, like some of the monsters in MM, which is seriously fun, piloting a huge beetle with missile launchers and tank treads is awesome. The bounties are all great and well designed so that you'll need to work around your tanks strenghts and weaknesses to win the fights. Insane amounts of secrets too, exploring and checking everything out will reward you with great stuff.

If I have to complain about something is that after a dozen of hours or so the game becomes pretty easy, but I also know how to play MM pretty well so I might be biased on this point, and it's not like you won't get fucked by exploring a bit too much sometimes.

MM2R applies all of the above to MM2, except that now your protagonist isn't fixed, you have to create it by choosing one of the classes from MM3 instead of having the usual Hunter MC, MM2R is also arguably more balanced than MM3, there's a few small extras like a new form for the last boss and obviously new vehicles, great remake.
>>
WHY WERE SO FEW EU RELEASES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NOT EVEN SMRPG REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3666510
Wow I didn't realize SMRPG didn't have a PAL version. I kinda feel bad but at least you had the nice colorful console instead of the grey and purple.
>>
>>3663331
Dark Law. There isn't really a good point of comparison that isn't its predecessor Dark Lord, though - there's almost nothing like it on the SNES.
>>
>>3666521
No SMRPG, no Earthbound. RPG wise we got jack shit in europe compared to NA. At least we got

FF IV through VI
Chrono Trigger
Lufia II (but not I)
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Breath of Fire II (but not I)
Illusion of Gaia (re-named Illusion of Time)
Terranigma (this one didn't get a NA release, ha!)
Lagoon

I think that's about it
>>
>>3666527
Oh and I forgot Soul Blazer
>>
>>3666527
>>3666530
btw I'm mixing action RPG with turn-based RPG here. Couldn't be arsed to look up which are turn based.
>>
Wizardry V (enjoy your grinding haha)
>>
Wow the PS1 is so much better for JRPGs.
>>
>>3666536
If you're going to do that you might as well play Wizardry VI instead.
>>
>>3666541
in general PS has always been better for JRPGs than Nintendo.
>>
>>3666506
There isn't any project to translate those games?
>>
>>3666550
Not that I know.
Metal Max isn't well known or popular in the west.
>>
>>3666527

>FF IV through VI

Did Europe get FFV?
>>
>>3666574
uhhhhhh nope, just looked it up, it was japan only. I thought we did since we got IV and VI, but nope, no V. wtf were the criteria to decide which ones got a PAL release (or NA for that matter) and which didn't?
>>
>>3666582

Apparently FFV was too hard for Americans, but im not sure. FFIV did not sell that well in the beginning.
>>
>>3666527
CT and FF IV + VI didn't get a PAL release either so it's even shorter than your list.
>>
>>3666592
so those were fake cartridges being offered on eGay
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I'm gonna get me Terranigma just to spite you NAs REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Question to /vr/:

Is it worth bothering at all with the first FF? Like the re-releases that fix the most glaring bugs at least?

Or should I jump straight into FF II?
>>
>>3666597
FF1 is pretty good if you're looking for a dungeon crawl, but make sure to play the PS1 version for the bugfixes but without the stupid shit the GBA version did to the game.
>>
>>3666592
Final Fantasy IV + V were released as Final Fantasy Anthology for the PS1 in PAL regions.
Final Fantasy VI for the PS1 was also released in PAL but as a standalone game.
>>
>>3666620
but they didn't get a SNES release ;___;
>>
>>3666629

FFV wasn't that good anyway. Only battle system and music.
>>
>>3666636
but I hear FFVI was top-tier
>>
>>3666504
Never got far into 4 and 6. 6 is supposed to have the charm CT had for me, but I didn't quite get into it.

5 is fun because it has the best job system in the series, with room for experimentation and combos of skills and shit.
>>
>>3666601
>PS1 version
Do you mean "Final Fantasy Origins" which is apparently a compilation of the I and II remakes for the Wonder Swan Color (but the compilation is for the PS)?
>>
>>3666717
In any case I just started the FF1 remake on FFO and wow, that's some huge graphics and audio improvements, LOL.
This music playing in the first town is melting my heart, too.

Just gotta figure out the controls now. Still a RetroArch noob, and this thing is fitted for a PS controller...
>>
>>3666792
>using a meme frontend

Why?
>>
>>3663938
>>3664035
Would you recommend beating Lufia 1 before starting 2?
>>
>>3663331
You shouldn't have your snes games unfiltered. The pixels are meant to have a subtle blend, as seen on CRT displays. Not blocky

Also download Chaos Seed, Dragon Squadron Danzarb, Dual Orb II, Ganpuru- Gunmans Proof, Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma and Ys V

Pretty much all the best Snes games are jap only.
I like Chrono Cross more than Trigger
>>
>>3667121
> I braid my beard
>>
File: flecowhy.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
flecowhy.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>3667121
>I like Chrono Cross more than Trigger
>>
File: Mega_Man_with_guitar_(pixel).png (34KB, 479x528px) Image search: [Google]
Mega_Man_with_guitar_(pixel).png
34KB, 479x528px
>>3667121

I like Pixels.
>>
>>3667427
It's a common opinion among people who aren't simps, actually
>>
>>3667478

Is this a new /tv/ meme?
>>
>>3666795

Holy hell, what's a "meme frontend" supposed to mean now? This meme of calling things "meme thing" needs to stop (because people are misapplying it if nothing else).

It's the standard frontend to libretro that was available on GNU Guix and it seems to work just fine so I went with it; being just a frontend means, AFAIUI, that it's more or less just a GUI? So it won't affect the emulation quality at all? (Which depends on so-called "cores", and BIOSes, from what I get.) It's admittedly kind of a crappy interface, where I have to find a file starting from the freaking root directory every time I want to load a new ROM, and I can't type in directories -- have to navigate the filesystem through a menu system instead, but that takes maybe like 10 seconds to find a file every time and then it's under "Load Recent" and if it gets annoying I think I can set a ROM directory or something from which it will automatically find them... Just haven't bothered with that yet because I'm cheap and go for the quickest thing that Just Werks.

Literally the opposite of "meme blah blah". Just the standard thing that's most easily available and "werks".
>>
>>3667594
calm your piss-flaps you autist
>>
>>3667607
Wow, how petty can you be? I think you may fit in better on /v/.
>>
>>3667594

meme post: the post
>>
>>3667594
Please no meta-memes
>>
File: 1247611234870.jpg (29KB, 499x500px) Image search: [Google]
1247611234870.jpg
29KB, 499x500px
>>3667646
>>3667704
I'm laughing internally but this is my face right now.
>>
File: IGMEL.png (12KB, 256x216px) Image search: [Google]
IGMEL.png
12KB, 256x216px
Treasure of the Rudras is a pretty obscure treasure I stumbled across. I like the whole thing where if you die, you can jump to a different main character and play through their campaign...

And the Mantra system is awesome as shit. You mix together phrases and letters in order to make minor modifications to spells- LEF means 'life', and 'IG' means 'fire', so if you find a spell that heals everyone and it's called 'LEFLUS', then you can try out 'IGLUS' to burn everything on the screen. It's charming, and each different spell has a different animation.

But the thing is: The monsters know magic too. Here's a boss using IGMEL. I have no goddamn clue what the ~MEL suffix is yet, but since the pillars of flame popped up on every one of my guys, I'm pretty sure it's an area-of-effect modifier. So I just learned the ~MEL suffix and can mess with spells using it.

But here's my recommendation: Don't look up mantras online. It's a lot more fun to play with it on your own.

The art is pretty good too. It's charming seeing a wizard do a few swift hand motions to cast a spell, or quirky comic relief clumsily almost-dropping his gun every time he fires it. Not sure about the storyline, though- they're not very clear about where you need to go, meaning that I get my ass kicked by level-30 enemies near the start of the game... But it's pretty good.
>>
>>3667121
Is this a guy trying to act like a hipster or someone who thinks he's making fun of one? Terranigma isn't exactly a hidden gem, especially not on this board. Same with people liking Chrono Cross.
>>
>>3669029
Thread isn't about hidden gems ya dunce. And by all means, Terranigma is one

It wasn't available in America and was niche in Europe.
>>
>>3669039
>and was niche in Europe.

Not really, it was translated in all languages and it's one of the most well known RPG's here (since we basically had like three).
>>
>>3669045
Anon I've literally never heard of anyone irl talk about the game, or ever even seen it in any store or second hand game store.
>>
>>3669001
That game looks amazing i just watched some videos of it.

https://youtu.be/NFvEGtiU5eI

If anyone else is curious to see some gameplay. Im going to put it on my SD2SNES.
>>
>>3669065
I can only tell you that it's pretty well known here, Terranigma and Illussion of Time both. And in the first 90's they were a lot more well known than Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy.
>>
>>3669095

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma are not RPG's.
>>
>>3669108
I hope you meant
Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma are not turn-based.
>>
>>3669108
Being Action RPG, doesnt mean it isnt a RPG. It just means he cant read the OP and post TURN BASED RPGs.
>>
>>3669108
I didn't mention RPG at all. But yeah, they were the closest to an RPG we had, even if they were little more than Zelda-like games.
>>
>>3669117

IoG was pretty awful and extremely linear. Why does that game have a world map?
>>
>>3669124
I thought the game was alright, the Sky Garden is one of my favorite dungeons.

The world map was pretty stupid, the final boss was a joke. They should have had the Jewel boss as the final one, I died way more times to him than the moon man.
>>
>>3669095
Where is 'here' for you? Because it sure as fuck isn't the UK
>>
>>3669132

Sky garden was fun, and the Pyramid near the end of the game. For me its just to linear to be considered an RPG, Soul Blazer played more like gauntlet and Terranigma somewhere between the two of them.
>>
>>3669143
Spain.
>>
>>3666597
People will shit on FF II because "muh bugs". For me it was the best game plotwise speaking. If i were you i'd get the GBA release.
>>
>>3669001
I played this recently, and thought the mantra system, animations and art was great.

But some gotchas:
- The plot was too weak: "Hah, you weakling, fight me!" and then "So you are the chosen one, keep going on i can't explain you why".
- At first you might think that allowing you to play from the viewpoint of different characters is good, but i think it was poorly implemented. Checkout DQ IV which features an episodic plot well laid out.
>>
>>3669146
Mi negrata.
>>
>>3669143
Games like Terranigma and Lufia (2) were shilled pretty hard by Nintendo and gaming magazines in a lot of European countries, especially in Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium. There are a lot of people from that era who aren't into retro gaming or nintendo anymore but they sure as hell still remember those games.

You can say a lot about those games but they weren't and still can't be called niche unless you're only comparing it to titles that have always been the most popular like Chrono Trigger, any Final Fantasy or Zelda (which actually isn't a RPG but eh, it's still by far one of the most popular IPs).
>>
>>3669095
Wasn't the Final Fantasy series called the "Mystic Quest" series in Europe back in the 3rd and 4th generations?
>>
>>3669419
No, I think we had the same shit US had by the name Mystic Quest Legend.
We didn't touch a Final Fantasy until VII. And barely any console RPG. That's why VII was such a big hit.
>>
>>3669401
I haven't actually played enough of it to tell how good the plot was. I was just squeeing about the mantra systems, art, and animation. Enough to want to make a TRPG system inspired by the Mantra system.
>>
Actually what's so good about Chrono Trigger's gamplay? I see how the time travel is pretty cool and offers lots of variety but the gameplay is really nothing special.
>>
>>3665153
Its a dragon quest clone like the other non DQ game he listed
>>
>>3670119
But DQ is a amazing series. If a game is a clone of it and copies it's style while retaining its quality and adding some stuff it is still god.

If EB is a clone of DQ that just means EB is a good game.
>>
File: image.jpg (135KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 540x720px
>>3666541
>>
>>3667478
You mean unlikable pretentious hipster dipshits, right?
>>
>>3672532
What if I don't like either
>>
>>3666637
FFI to FFX were top-tier.
>>
>>3669501
Honestly, its mostly nostalgia and a very easy RPG with multiple endings. Thats really the only appeal. And maybe the double and triple techs for battle.
>>
File: 7th saga.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
7th saga.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>
File: NewAgeRetroHippie.png (22KB, 499x699px) Image search: [Google]
NewAgeRetroHippie.png
22KB, 499x699px
>>3663331

EARTHBOUND
>>
>>3669001
Yeah, it has great graphics, music, and style.

The mantra system is sort of broken and the way it works seems kind of random.

The plot is very mediocre. No real structure and barely any character development. It's pretty interesting for how random it is though.

It's still a fun game regardless. Just don't expect the second coming of FFVI
>>
Of the SNES JRPGs I've played -

Top-Tier:
Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Live-A-Live, Earthbound, Dragon Quest III Remake, and Tactics Ogre

Good-tier:
Super Mario RPG, Dragon Quest V, Final Fantasy IV, and Arcana

Alright-tier:
Lufia 2, Dragon Quest 1 & 2, and Treasure of the Rudras

Shit-tier:
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest and Breath of Fire 1 & 2
>>
So what is the next RPG to play after:
>Chrono Trigger
>Live-a-live
>7th Saga/Mystic Arc
>Mother series
>2D Final Fantasy's
>>
>>3673695
The Dragon Quest series
>>
>>3673695
Super Mario RPG, Treasure Of The Rudras, Lufia 2, Dragon Quest V
>>
>>3667078
Absolutely not. In fact it may very well discourage you from the whole series. It is an enormous grind fest but it did give us the initial Fortress of Doom theme.
>>
>>3672793
> FFVIII, top-tier
>>
>>3673183
>Good-tier:
>Final Fantasy IV

>Shit-tier:
>Breath of Fire 1 & 2

I know I am spoon-feeding you, but BoF2 with fan re-translation patch is one of the better SNES RPGs as of 2016.
>>
>>3673183

Top-Tier:
Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound,

Good Tier:
BoF 1&2, Lufia 1+2

Shit Tier:
Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Dragon Quest 1+2
>>
>>3663331
ff3
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.