[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/, So I really love GBA RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: c3034a385769ad7d5ccc04e6fce628ff.jpg (236KB, 735x1024px) Image search: [Google]
c3034a385769ad7d5ccc04e6fce628ff.jpg
236KB, 735x1024px
Hey /vr/,
So I really love GBA RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Golden Sun, Advance Wars etc, and I've just discovered emulation and overdosed on SNES RPGs.

Which of these should I play first?
I have:

>Chrono Trigger
>Dragon Quest VI
>Dragon View
>Drakkhen
>EarthBound
>Final Fantasy: IV
>Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
>Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
>Front Mission
>Harvest Moon
>Secret of Evermore
>Secret of Mana
>Secret of Mana 2
>Super Mario RPG
>Terranigma

I'm leaning towards Earthbound, Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana but can't decide.

I just completed Final Fantasy VI, but I also have:
>Fire Emblem
>Golden Sun: The Lost Age
>Sword of Mana
>Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Londis
>Tales of Phantasia

pls help
>>
File: phantasy_star4_box_us.jpg (117KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
phantasy_star4_box_us.jpg
117KB, 432x600px
>>3663084
Phantasy Star IV is better than every one of them.
>>
You've played the original Tactics, right?
>>
>>3663086
I'll check it out. Do I need to have played the previous 3?
>>
>>3663096
I haven't actually, but that's high on my list. I have the PSP one rather than the Playstation version, is that better?
>>
>>3663098
Not really, no. I would recommend playing IV first and if you like it go back and play 1 and 2. Or maybe just 2. Some people find 1 pretty archaic, but I still love it. 3 is contentious.

Also, tip for when you play Knight of Lodis, always use the element that the character is aligned with. All bonuses for element and alignment are 11% across the board, so it's always best to just stick with your native element.
>>
>>3663103
Get the patch that removes the slowdown.
>>
>>3663103

There's some debate, but my opinion and what I -think- is the closest to a general consensus is that yes, the PSP version is the better choice.

The PS1 version has a few lines that have more memorable impact, but overall the translation is bum in comparison.

PSP gets rid of spell quotes, has some really shitty slowdown (you can patch out if you've hacked your PSP/are emulating) and some people don't like the more flowery writing style, but you get a much better translation, a rebalance, gorgeous cutscenes, and added content for your trouble.
>>
>>3663116
>>3663114
Interesting.. I'm not adverse to a spot of purple prose. I haven't started playing it but I had noticed it running slowly, I'll look out for a patch. I hadn't emulated a PSP game before so didn't know what to expect.

How different is FFT from FFTA gameplay-wise? I understand the Job system being a little different, but the menus of FFTA are engraved in my head so I was looking for something intuitive like that.
I heard Tactics Ogre was made by the same people, anyone know how similar that feels?

>>3663107
It looks pretty interesting, thanks for the advice!
>>
>>3663129
FFT only has humans who can use any class and monsters who cannot change their species. There is no Law system. I dunno much about FFTA so that's all I can point out.

I will give you this one piece of advice; Never let Mustadio leave the party once he joins. He is required for most of the secret characters.
>>
>>3663084
>Which of these should I play first?

I don't understand the purpose of these types of threads. How are we supposed to help you decide? Just pick a game and play it. You're wasting time weighing the pros and cons of picking one game over the other. You're eventually going to play them all, right?

>>3663103
>I have the PSP one rather than the Playstation version, is that better?

The PSP version has cinematics and some shoehorned references to other FF games, but they don't really justify picking that version over the original. The PSP translation is also atrocious. (Yes, even compared to the PS1 translation and its numerous grammatical errors) I would rather play the PS1 version for being on the more literal side. The PSP script makes shit up as it goes along, and the characters are given retarded vernaculars.
>>
File: FFDOS-TitleJP.png (5KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
FFDOS-TitleJP.png
5KB, 240x160px
>>3663084
>>
>>3663129

The games are all extremely similar, but I'd say FFTA is the hardest departure.

The systems between FFTA and FFT will seem exactly the same to someone who's never played an SRPG before but if you've played one and move to the other they're pretty different in a lot of ways. Turns aren't decided by a turn order in the same way, there's a CP gauge that moves forward by increments of your speed stat so you can even end up lapping turns pretty hard and getting more moves before the other guy moves once. There are no laws, and lots of abilities have casting times in FFT, so they won't activate right away, but a certain amount of CP after the action is chosen. Game ends immediately if Ramza dies, I think, I don't remember if that was true for Marche or if you had a chance to revive him. Every area is like the Jagds where when a unit dies, you have three turns to revive them or they're gone forever.

The story is much, MUCH more serious and complex. It has the occasional lighthearted moment, but most of Matsuno's stuff is pretty somber in tone compared to FFTA.

Zodiac signs (based on a unit's birthday) also play a big part in battle; compatible signs are more effective against each other, and magic--including beneficial magic--has accuracy based on a "faith" stat. The higher the faith, the more likely magic will work on you--including Cure, Raise, Haste, etc. along with Fire, Blizzard, etc.

It's a more complicated game by every account but it's my favorite game of all time.
>>
>>3663142

I respect your opinion about playing the PS1 version, both are fine games with pros and cons, but don't act like grammatical errors is the PS1 translation's only problem. It's a fuckin' mess.
>>
>>3663153

It is a mess, but it's also more on the literal side. The PSP translation adds too much context and characterization that simply isn't there. This is unfortunately true of pretty much every localization following the merger of Square and Enix. Evidently, the company's localization department was restaffed.

Although interestingly, I haven't noticed the same problems with the SaGa series, nor the Crystal Chronicles series. Maybe those are handled by an entirely different team.
>>
>>3663142
>You're eventually going to play them all, right?
Not likely, no. I don't have the time to play all of them in the near future, I just want to know which ones are most worth my time.
Also curious to hear people's thoughts comparing these games, which to the uninitiated appear quite similar.

>>3663138
Thanks, I'll make a note of it. I'm glad I heard about waiting for Shadow in FF6, missable content in games really bothers me.

>>3663147
Already played. I loved 1, but could never get into 2. Worth another shot?

Also have a translated NES rom of 3 that I'm curious to try. I thought I understood the job system on the DS version until I lost all my EXP on changing classes halfway through or whatever.

>>3663148
Sounds fantastic, cheers, I'll definitely bump it to the top. Curious to see the different pacing and atmosphere of the battles.
Need to figure out how to run this patch though, I'm largely ignorant about these things.
>>
>>3663179
>Already played. I loved 1, but could never get into 2. Worth another shot?

2's weird, being basically SaGa 0. People seem to either love it or hate it. If you didn't like it the first time around you probably still won't going back.
>>
>>3663084
from that list FFIV, Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger
>>
>>3663179
>but could never get into 2
Really? Is my favourite. People around here don't like it, but it is true that there are other FF that offer better combat mechanics.
>>
>>3663214
It was probably a decade ago that I played it, and I wasn't expecting the jump to a weapon-based levelling system, but I might revisit, since I still have it.
>>
>>3663084
SMRPG if you loved Superstar Saga.
Wild Arms is like Golden Sun but better. And without classes.
Tactics Ogre and the older Fire Emblems are worth playing. Geneology of the Holy War is wrapping up a re-translation and it's fucking good already, look up Project Naga.
>>
>>3663084
Seiken Densetsu 3/SoM2
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.