[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The REAL reason for the video game crash

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: crash.jpg (75KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
crash.jpg
75KB, 620x388px
Contrary to popular belief, most of the reasons people have for the video game crash of 1983 are mere myths:

>It wasn't Pac-Man or E.T.
>It wasn't the amount of consoles on the market
>It wasn't 3rd party devs
>It wasn't the PC industry
>It wasn't bad games

Redpill yourself: https://youtu.be/K4iW57DdCTw
>>
>>3661408
Stop advertising your bullshit video.
>>
>>3661408
Pac-Man and ET were indicative of the quality of the games of the time period.
>>
>>3661408
Why does no one make a video about the 1977 crash?
>>
over saturation in the video game console market
there, I just saved you 20 minutes
also get a better mic
>>
File: 1480887131876.jpg (102KB, 750x772px) Image search: [Google]
1480887131876.jpg
102KB, 750x772px
>>3661408
>>3661435
Are we advertising our videos we made with bad microphones?

I promise mines much more interesting, and not a topic 1000000 people have covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxNknap9uPU
>>
>>3661427
It isn't mine.
>>
>>3661439
>It isn't mine

And I'm Santa Clause.
Is ... Is it Clause?
Claus.
>>
>>3661437
Your microphone is way better than OPs.
>>
>>3661437
>complains about bad microphone
>has a worse one himself

are you for real
>>
>>3661447
Nice try, OP
>>3661437
>Are we advertising our videos we made with bad microphones?

He is self-deprecating.

Also

>posting your two year old video to /vr/ for more views
>>
>>3661452
So are videos looked down upon on /vr/ because everyone assumes it's the video creator advertising? Should I write it all out in the OP next time just so people don't assume I'm some view whoring piece of shit?
>>
>>3661475
(By the way, I'm not trying to be a smartass here. I'm legitimately curious. I just want people's thoughts on this perspective of the crash)
>>
>>3661437
Advice, try not to sound so monotone
>>
>>3661475
Typically, when someone posts a low viewer count video, it's pretty obvious they're trying to shill their video.

>>3661512
Yeah, I didn't want to force any kind of special voice. I may re-record it in the future.
>>
>>3661480
Maybe try a topic that we don't already all know about but definitely not in such a condescending tone I mean this thread is so shitty you haven't even attracted Australia-kun to egregiously inform you that the crash didn't happen in Europe and that it was European computers that saved gaming.
>>
>>3661526
If I see one more stupid fucking video on the "Video Game crash of 1983!"
or
THE HISTORY OF THE NINTENDO PLAYSTATION

I'll kill myself
>>
>>3661526
If everyone already knows all about it, why are these stupid myths still being spread around by popular people in gaming to this day?

>>3661525
Makes sense, thanks.
>>
>>3661408
>Contrary to popular belief some kid on the internet knows better than the rest of the world.
I thought that was the popular belief
>>
>>3661587
What the fuck are you saying? Are you high?
>>
>>3661408
Crash was caused by Dio leaving Black Sabbath, if you bother to research it
>>
>>3661605
He's saying that this dumbass kids video doesn't mean SHIT.
>>
>>3661615
What does that have to do with video games?
>>
>>3661408
A little note about third party devs: As the guy noted, originally the only source for games was the console manufacturer themselves--the technical info for their hardware was proprietary and they didn't give that stuff out to the public. Although Activision were the first third party console dev, they were ex-Atari employees so they already knew how all the hardware worked.

By 1981 however, the technical data for the VCS had leaked out to electronics magazines and pretty soon any fly-by-night programmer could develop games for it.

Also it is important to stress that shitty games like Warplock _only_ affected the VCS, not the Intellivision or Colecovision both of which employed lockout systems and required devs to sign a license with them.
>>
>>3661408
The part of the video about the computer industry is totally wrong and has numerous factual errors. Yes, there was a crash, yes TI and Atari lost money by the truckload, however he goes off the rails at 16:12.

Why? Firstly, the VIC-20 was naturally superseded by the C64; that had nothing to do with the crash. The CoCo was never a major player to begin with and Tandy were safely protected by their own insular distribution system. Apple didn't compete in the low-end market segment so the video game crash had no effect on them.

>16:19

The computer market endured because computers serve other purposes besides playing games. Duh.

>16:23

This is not exactly true either. The Atari 800XL was only an incremental upgrade of the original 400/800 still based on the same aging chipset and it sold less than half as many units.

>16:40

Most game devs who survived the crash were companies like Sierra that focused on the traditional computer genres. Computer devs like Synapse who produced mainly arcade games went under.
>>
>>3661615
you mean joining
>>
>>3661797
IIRC they sold 250,000 800XLs against at least a million 400/800s. Unfortunately, this meant that almost all Atari 8-bit software continued to be designed for 48k of memory rather than 64k, because there weren't enough 800XLs to make it a profitable software market.

From anecdotal evidence, a lot of programmers really liked the Atari 8-bits but by 1985 there just wasn't enough of a market anymore to justify releasing software.
>>
>>3661814
The quality control also got worse, and by the time of the Tramiel takeover it was really the pits. The 400/800 were built like tanks, the later models were shitty.
>>
>>3661581
Because popular people just end up spouting a bunch of bullshit in a vain attempt at staying popular. Anon is the opposite of that. We pursue our interests because we enjoy them and we're mercilessly critical of one another if we're truly off base.
>>
>>3661797
Man they should have updated the POKEY/ANTIC. You couldn't keep relying on late 1970s chips forever.
>>
A couple of inaccuracies, OP.
1. It was not a video game market crash, it was a home console market crash and it was exclusive to the US market.
2. The "PC" industry didn't have much of a hold at the time, even in the US. Micro computers, or home computers, were far more popular. In the US I think the major players were Commodore, Atari, TI, and Apple.
>>
>>3661941
I think everyone that understood how the chips worked was gone from Atari by 1983. Commodore couldn't update the VIC-II and SID for the same reason; the principle designers left the company shortly after the C64's release in August 1982.
>>
>>3661535
Is there a video that somehow links the crash of 83 with the Nintendo Playstation? That would be the ultimate shirt video
>>
>>3661959
You have to get there by way of the great Nintendo vs Sega war, another classic for bandwagoners to spout off about.
>>
>>3661958
After the Tramiel buyout, they just plain didn't care about the 8-bit line anymore; all emphasis was on the new Atari ST, which was really a perfectly sound business decision to move the focus away from a six year old computer.

Ironically, Commodore were embarrassed by their inability to move past the aging, but still ever popular C64.
>>
>>3661605
>>3661616
That's exactly what I'm saying. Didn't even need to watch the clickbait to know it.
>>
>>3662015
Commodore was supporting the PET and VIC-20, as well as the 64, until the dumb Paki came along.
>>
>>3662015
As I understand, the C128 was cobbled together partially so they could have some new product for the 1985 Consumer Electronics Expo. The computer was mostly just intended as a stopgap, yet somehow it lasted half a decade and became after the C64 Commodore's biggest selling 8-bit line.
>>
>>3662039
This was true. They supported the PET/VIC-20/Plus-4 until 1986. The first two were obsolete and long since discontinued from production, the last was just a bomb.
>>
>>3662067
PETs were actually still manufactured and sold until 1986, mostly because of continued demand from Europe where they were a popular business computer.
>>
>a fucking 20 minute video that thinks it has some real answer when I know it was, in fact, shit games and the decline of the console industry because I WAS FUCKING THERE KIDS
>>
>>3662015
>Ironically, Commodore were embarrassed by their inability to move past the aging, but still ever popular C64

C64 sales in the US had peaked by 1986, but continued strong in Europe during the late 80s.
>>
>>3662015
>Ironically, Commodore were embarrassed by their inability to move past the aging, but still ever popular C64.
Because... Amiga.
>>
>>3662129
>>3662015
C64s aren't a computer, they're a fucking cult for some people.
>>
>>3662145
>a computer released in mid/late 80s outdated by early 90s
WHAT A CONCEPT
>>
>>3661408
Hmm... blaming the retailers for over ordering. The manufacturers could have refused the orders though.

However it's a good point that console makers at the time tried to market failing products that were more like computers than game machines.
>>
>>3662145
The Amiga was built in 1983, is it really surprising that it'd be obsolete in the 90s?
>>
>>3662157
youinchargeofreadingcomprehension.jpg

They had the next gen A3000/4000 but the market was unfortunately tied to the aging A500.
>>
>>3662161
What was the difference between a computer and a game machine in the early-mid 80s, exactly?
>>
>>3662137
But then the same unfortunate thing happened as the C64; the entire Amiga market became centered on the A500 which by the early 90s was getting steadily more and more outdated. They couldn't get past it.
>>
>>3662163
People like cheaper computers. What a shock. The ZX Spectrum remained popular well after Amstrad purchased it from Sinclair.
>>
>>3661431
Never happened because Nintendo didnt "save the industry" after it.
>>
File: 1280371000-1.jpg (196KB, 543x601px) Image search: [Google]
1280371000-1.jpg
196KB, 543x601px
>>3661408
>le great vidya crash of 83

There was no crash you mongoloid fuck. Only North America imploded out of their own sheer retardation.

The rest of the world was still happily playing games throughout the 80's.
>>
>>3661408
It crashed because those games were expensive, hideous one dimensional pieces of trash that hardly innovated beyond shit like Pong or Space Invaders.

I don't give a flying fuck if you grew up with this shit, Pac Man and Pong clones and bare bones "platformers" like Pitfall are such archaic trash I've never quite understood how it became a fad in the first place, must've just been because that's all anyone had.

No one on this gay earth is playing Defender, Asteroids, Adventure etc. even in fits of nostalgia, there is so much better shit out there.
>>
>>3662067
Support is not the same as selling it. It requires way less resources. Nintendo was supporting the Famicom Disk System for something like 2001.

Worse, pulling support from a line means that office users will need to switch platforms. And since you just pissed them off by pulling support, they'll most likely switch to another solution by a company who offers better support. Like, say, the IBM PC.
>>
>>3662745
Too late, Australia-kun

>>3662751
And then we got this faggot
>>
>>3662751
Correct. You could pay $70 for a game (probably close to $100 in 2016 dollars) only to end up with unplayable shit like Warplock.
>>
>>3662809
He'll never know the joy of rolling a machine.
>>
>>3662751
>No one on this gay earth is playing Defender, Asteroids, Adventure etc.

You picked three games people actually still play you fucking retard. Was this bait?

The 2600 Library is full of unmitigated shit and you picked like the four games minus River Raid that people still give a fuck about
>>
>>3663121
>People still care about shitty old Atari games

Bulllllshiiiiiit.
>>
>>3663121
You can't really call Defender or Asteroids 2600 games.
Asteroids in particular is associated with the vector graphics you won't find in any home version (aside from Mine Storm).
>>
David Crane said that Atari were wasting their time trying to port arcade games to inferior hardware and instead they should concentrate on making quality original stuff.
>>
>>3663150

Point taken. Defender too.

>>3663140

We have occasional fuckin' threads about them even here. I play adventure and River Raid on occasion and I was born long after that shit crashed and burned.

>>3663191

David Crane knew what the fuck he was talking about then
>>
File: 1388288385667.gif (935KB, 200x154px) Image search: [Google]
1388288385667.gif
935KB, 200x154px
>>3663197
>I play adventure and River Raid on occasion and I was born long after that shit crashed and burned.

Get a load of this boring hipster faggot.
>>
>>3663191
Activision were cool for a while, but after 1986 they went downhill fast.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.