[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so right with this one...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: pm.jpg (115KB, 468x330px) Image search: [Google]
pm.jpg
115KB, 468x330px
What went so right with this one...
>>
File: pmttyd.jpg (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pmttyd.jpg
243KB, 1920x1080px
...so wrong with this one...
>>
File: spm.jpg (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
spm.jpg
1MB, 1280x1024px
...and so foot in my mouth just fuck my shit up with this one?
>>
Well I mean, only one of those three is /vr/-approved...

But you shut your whore mouth about SPM. It's still just as charming as the first two even if it isn't an RPG and doesn't have cool partners.
>>
Reminder that Sticker Star and Color Splash exist and aren't going away.
>>
>>3661043
Gourmet Guy. I literally kept playing just to see him again.
>>
I don't get how someone can like the first game and not the second. Like the first more? Sure, I can see that. But every time this stupid argument comes up, I can't help but feel like it's just the usual 4chan rhetoric of putting down what other people like instead of talking up what you like.

Both games are great. If recommend one to anyone who likes the other. SPM is okay at best.
>>
>>3661043

Great atmosphere with fun worlds to explore and nutty, memorable characters with a lot of personality

>>3661050

This was even better, hitting the nail on the head for everything that made the first game fun, while adding more content

>>3661052

This game had no personality to it. The new gameplay mechanics were probably the least of its problems. It just didn't feel like a Paper Mario game, or a Mario game at all. All the enemies and NPCs were just weird shapes, rather than familiar Mario characters.

I didn't play Sticker Star or that WiiU one. That Mario & Luigi crossover looked cool though, has anyone played it?
>>
>>3661043
Timed hits, a unique art style and lots of extra side quests to do.

>>3661050
I have a lot more good and bad thoughts about the second game whereas the first one is all good. But the good stuff from TTYD are a little better than the original. I didn't like the HUB world but the timed hits and the ghost world were amazing. The entire battle system was so well done. I did not like how the characters are copies of the originals but it was still good.

Aside from SMRGP being a prequel to these games I don't consider the series to have any more installments. Stick to the original formula if you want to make a sequel.
>>
>>3661243
OP here. Yeah ok I was just throwing some bantz, actually I really like TTYD. But still, there's something... off with it. I keep replaying PM many times, and it's still a very attractive game, and TTYD lacks this certain something. I can't really put my finger on it, because if I try to look at it objectively it's absolutely perfect, it has all the good things about PM and adds a lot of stuff as well as improving many slight defects.
One negative thing I will say about TTYD is that most of the sidekicks are much less endearing. Bombette >>>>>>>> that sailor bomb (also didn't expect those feels), Kooper >>>>>>>> Koops (that pathetic cuck), Bow >>>>>>> Vivian. The Yoshi and the goomba chick are GOAT tho.
>>
>>3661296
>This game had no personality to it. The new gameplay mechanics were probably the least of its problems. It just didn't feel like a Paper Mario game, or a Mario game at all. All the enemies and NPCs were just weird shapes, rather than familiar Mario characters.
So true. Playing it it made me feel empty and depressed, like it all happened in a dead world, unlike the other two.
>>
>>3661043
Fun, simple, looks great, and has brevity. A simple, 20-25 hour RPG often goes over better than a 40 hour one, I find. Puzzles are pretty fun, and add a decent amount to the game, mechanics are relatively simple but still enjoyable, there's a bit of strategy (what badges to wear, what level ups to choose, which characters to upgrade first or use for certain boss battles), but never to the point that it's overwhelming, and there's always a bunch of different strategies you can take with battles, which makes it a personal and satisfying experience.

The best thing about it though is probably that it's episodic in nature. A lot of RPGs are helped by this structure (as Super Mario RPG was as well), as it makes the chapters feel self-contained and satisfying, and the pace feels natural and enjoyable. It's just charming and refined, and very difficult to not enjoy, even for someone like me who is (usually) an N64-naysayer.
>>
>>3661043
Fantastic atmosphere, characters, art style, music, mechanics. The whole game is great and should be what Sticker Star and Color Splash should've aimed for.

>>3661050
I don't have much experience with TTYD, sadly.

>>3661052
Honestly, I liked it. The story was interesting and the bad guys were each good in their own way. The mechanics were tight, too. It's major problem was its shitty partners and NPCs, with its dead atmosphere a mixed bag. On one hand, it fits the apocalyptic story. On the other hand, it's very out of place for a Mario game.
>>
>>3661723
>I don't have much experience with TTYD, sadly.
you should try it. It's basically more of the same, in a good way, with loads of extra stuff put in. Makes a nice and dense game. At least on the first play... somehow I find PM has much more replay value for some weird reason.
>>
>>3661739
I've been meaning to pick up a copy, but I've been busy with other games currently Pokemon Sun.
>>
>>3661073
havent played those. Please senpai tell me how bad they are? how could they fuck up such an easy formula so badly?

>>3661296
luigi and mario games are well regarded apparently. I havent gotten into it in my backlog however.

>>3661695
good point, the episodic story telling is endearing.
>>
>>3661296
>That Mario & Luigi crossover looked cool though, has anyone played it?
Haven't played it myself but general consensus seems to be that it's okay but not anything special.

>>3661671
We're gonna have to agree to disagree then anon because I thought Bobbery was fucking great. But really I like the partners of both games about the same. I don't think I could ever pick a favorite. The partners in TTYD definitely talk waaaaay more than the partners in the first game do, which for some is a good thing and others a bad one.

I also think the second one is more replayable than the first (though I've played both more times than I could guess at) since it generally has more varied badge combinations and side-quests. I actually did a 10-hp 2x Pain Badge run of TTYD a few years ago and had an absolute fucking blast. I've been meaning to do a 10-hp run of PM1 for a while now, maybe I'll get on that soon.
>>
Color Splash is really fun and a lot better than Sticker Star.

Its really sad how hard the series has fallen. Color Splash came out to crickets.
>>
File: feels.png (5KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
5KB, 645x773px
>>3662489
>We're gonna have to agree to disagree then anon because I thought Bobbery was fucking great.
But those feels man... I didn't come here for those feels...
>>
Why can't we just have another straightforward Paper Mario RPG game? I'd unironically buy a new console just for that
>>
>>3661050
nothing this game was great
>>
>>3662405
>havent played those. Please senpai tell me how bad they are? how could they fuck up such an easy formula so badly?
Look up any review. You have absolutely no idea.
>>
>>3662405
>how could they fuck up such an easy formula so badly?
By not following the formula. I'm not joking; they removed most of the RPG and story elements in the later entries. Nintendo are pants-on-head retarded with their franchises most of the time.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.