[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

King's Field 1 on real hardware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1449689653589.jpg (32KB, 312x234px) Image search: [Google]
1449689653589.jpg
32KB, 312x234px
Not sure if anyone is really knowledgeable about this, but when I try to play King's Field (Japan) via swap method, the game doesn't load. I read others have the same problem. They claimed the only way to play it was by importing a Japanese PS1, or just emulating the game. I would really rather play it on real hardware since I have it. Surely there's some way to get it working.
>>
Well I dunno

If you get it working make sure you focus on both magic and your physical attacks
>>
I have a real copy so I wouldn't know
>>
>>3660873
>I have a real copy

So do I. But since I have an NTSC-U console, I have to use the swap method, which unfortunately doesn't work with KF1 for some reason.
>>
>>3660857
Does the swap trick even work for JP versions of games when using a North American console?
>>
There was a remake of the first game bundled with the construction kit for Windows.
>>
>>3660857
Do other japanese games have this issue? Might be a bios incompatibly. I wouldn't know how to go about flashing the japanese bios if thats the case.
>>
>>3661006
>Does the swap trick even work for JP versions of games when using a North American console?

Yes. That's the entire point of using a swap disc. I got one so I could play imports.

You can also use them to boot burned games, but you have to use accurate game rips and high quality CD-R media to do so. Most rips you'll find online are shit and will produce stuttering FMVs, missing audio tracks or lockups. (Yes, I've confirmed it's rip quality. Ripping and burning backups of the games myself works perfectly fine since I know how to produce accurate backups)
>>
>>3661028
>Do other japanese games have this issue?

This is the only game that's been incompatible with my swap disc thus far, and most of what I play is imports.

I'm not sure how swap discs works, so I can't really comment on the possibility of some kind of BIOS check / incompatibility. KF1 was one of the earliest games released for the platform, so I can't imagine there being any kind of copy-protection scheme that would be triggered by using a swap disc.
>>
>>3660857
Why don't you have a chipped Ps1? swaping doesn't look particularly safe to me.
>>
>>3661147
>Why don't you have a chipped Ps1?

I can't solder worth a shit. Are there any solder-less chips now?
>>
>>3661167
There's still tons of chipped Ps1 out there. If you buy a random Ps1 there's an high chance that it will be chipped already. I can't solder shit neither so I just bought it with the chip and it eats absolutely everything.
>>
>>3661147
>swaping doesn't look particularly safe to me

Not sure what you mean. I have a PSXchange disc. It comes with a little strip that you place inside the console to keep the tray sensor held down. You just insert the swap disc, wait for it to load, and the swap disc stops spinning before you remove it. Then you swap it with the game and press start.

There might have been some old swap method that involved swapping one game for another while the disc was still spinning, but that's not how this method works.
>>
>>3661053
We must be thinking of different things, when I think of "swap method" I think of using a real Playstation game to trick the system into letting me play burned games.
>>
>>3661053
CCD rips should be mostly good since they rip everything with raw, including the subchannels?
>>
>>3661053
If the game uses redbook audio you'll need to do the swap trick with a game that also uses it, or you wont get any music since the PSX reads the TOC info of the disc before the first swap. Thankfully most games simply stream audio files from the disc or use sampled music.
>>
>>3661462

No Redbook audio. It's all done through PSF, or something similar. Hell, the game image is only a few megabytes.
>>
>>3661450
>CCD rips should be mostly good since they rip everything with raw, including the subchannels?

That, or BIN / CUE is fine. Most importantly, you should be ripping at a low read speed, and the operation should abort if there are any read errors that can't be corrected.

Games with Redbook audio require autistic detail. If the audio tracks are even slightly misaligned, the game might lock up upon trying to load the audio. At least, this is the case with Tomb Raider.
>>
>>3661514
On top of that, PSX discs have less error correction than most others since it uses mode 2 formatted discs. Most others, like saturn, use mode 1 which has more error correction.
>>
>>3661053
>Most rips you'll find online are shit and will produce stuttering FMVs, missing audio tracks or lockups.
this is from burning the games too fast.
>>
>>3661949
>this is from burning the games too fast

No, the rips are just shitty quality. I always burn on the lowest speed, and using Taiyo Yuden media only.

I've tested this against my own rips to make sure that was indeed the case. Any game I've ripped from my personal collection burned just fine. If I download an ISO of that same game online, the downloaded rip produces stuttering FMVs or other issues when burned.
>>
>>3661960
how slow is your lowest speed?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.