[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games you can't believe some people hate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 13

File: ffvi_r8sz.png (577KB, 799x361px) Image search: [Google]
ffvi_r8sz.png
577KB, 799x361px
I literally don't understand how anyone could hate ff6, it's a true masterpiece in storytelling, music, sprite work, and game play.
>>
It's my favorite Final Fantasy game, but the releases before the GBA ones were fundamentally broken, it's still easy to hate Nintendo, and it's not their first Final Fantasy game. I wouldn't call a video game a masterpiece of storytelling. As for music and spritework, Symphony of the Night called.
>>
>>3660368
All games have flaws even if minor or relatively unimportant. All people have different taste and might not see what you see in something.

My favorite game is earthbound, I get why lots of people wouldn't like it. I just accept it.
>>
Keep in mind that many people here dislike things simply because they're popular. 4chan is the most hipster place on the internet.
>>
>>3660368
>it's a true masterpiece in storytelling
The story is mostly dogshit, especially for its ridiculous characters. You recruit a ragtime team of walking stereotypes who have little to no facetime, and the primary antagonist is a nihilistic clown.

>music, sprite work
I'll give you this.

>and game play.
The game play is pretty much identical to every other ATB Final Fantasy, but slightly less enjoyable since FF6 does away with the vast degree of customization that was present in FF5.

>I literally don't understand how anyone could hate ff6
I don't hate it, but it's nowhere near my top 10 list.
>>
The world of ruin bores me to tears and the character fetchquest is unforgivable
way too many forgettable party members as well
Hate is a strong word, but it's definitely the most overrated FF, at least on the internet
>>
hate ff6? Hate is such a misused word these days. It's a mediocre game, more than enough reason to not give a shit about it. FF7 does everything it did better.
>>
>>3660368
I played it when it was still called FF3 :p
>>
>>3660368
I really like the game, but it does have some serious flaws. It's riddled with bugs, poorly balanced, has pretty shallow combat, uses the terrible ATB system, etc. Those are perfectly good reasons for someone not to enjoy it.
>>
Been playing through this game for the first time recently

The story isn't great, pretty cliche, don't understand why everyone praises it so much

The sprites are pretty average, but the battle backgrounds are beautiful. SNES has no business looking that good. The tilesets are kind of a mess sometimes. The one factory especially, it looked like shit. Couldn't tell what was a door or part of a wall, couldn't even tell where I was able to go most of the time.

The gameplay is fun for the most part, Sabin is easily the best character for his fighting game inputs, evasion not working is a load of shit though.

Music is pretty good.

Overall probably a 7/10. I'm at the part where you find out Gehtzal betrayed you and is working with Kefka and part of the earth is torn off and starts floating.
>>
>>3660368
>and game play.
nope
>>
>>3660368
i love the game but I can see people's gripes with it

>espers tied to level up bonuses
>some characters suck like Cyan
>lack of a focused main character
>nonlinear WoR, plot becomes much less focused than before
>bugs and questionable balance choices

despite all this, I love the soundtrack, some of the characters have excellent characters arcs, and the pacing works for me. Its also a very nice looking game and holds up well. The ability to pick your party and magic gives it replay value. That being said, its not for everyone. No game is, except for maybe Tetris.
>>
>>3660473
The game is so much better with the Brave New World rom hack. It fixes everything thats broken, from worthless characters (Cyan) and evasion while making the game actually challegening.

You shouldnt even have to be in your 40s to finish the game Vanilla. When asked if you want the sword or magicite take the magicite.
>>
>>3660368
>gameplay
Kek
>>
>>3660507
I really wish that patch also reduced the random encounter rate. Some of the late-game dungeons become a slog due to how much HP some of the enemies have.
>>
File: snks best work.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
snks best work.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
>>
It's become such a meme to hate this entire series because of a few awful games.
>>
>>3660537
Blame eceleb circlejerking

Le sawnik was never good maymay xDDDDDDDDDD ECKS DEE

At least its been humbling some of the elitist Sonic fans and purging some autism along with it I guess.
>>
>>3660368
>storytelling
>>
>>3660520
Lol yeah the encounter rate is stupid high for the shit you have to fight in there.
>>
HOMM3

>>3660368
300 Bugs with only about half fixed at most in any version (though granted, in GBA they were the most important ones) may have something to do with it.
>>
>>3660368
Those are called contrarians and they love to be vocal.
>>
>>3660564
I don't think it's all eceleb cancer. I've met a few people who don't like classic sonic and know nothing about gamer "culture".

Maybe I'm discrediting their opinions, but I think most people who hate the games just suck at them. That's why you get a lot of 'screen is too small' complaints, people try to constantly blast through levels at max speed like retards instead of balancing their speed at the trickier parts.
>>
>>3660413
This.

>>3660441
And definitely this

I dont hate it but I hate people claiming FF7 is only beloved because of nostalgia completely unaware of the irony of their undying love for FF6
>>
>>3660368
>it's a true masterpiece in storytelling, music, sprite work, and game play.
Only if you haven't played many RPGs.
Many other RPGs on the SFC alone blow it away.
>>
>>3660368
I'm a huge fan op, but the game play sucked. Only magic and mblock mattered, and many stats didn't impact any state of gameplay at all, almost all the rest infact. So you've got a party of unique characters and their respective unique skills that end up irrelevant because everyone gets built into a mage.
Only by levelling so hard that the game is trivial in difficult do you start to see the strongest physical abilities do real damage and that's because the calculations are all level based.
>>
File: download14.jpg (24KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
download14.jpg
24KB, 263x192px
>>
>>3660441
most overrated FF?
You mean VII?
>>
>>3662467
>You mean IX?

Fix'd
>>
>>3660368
Go play V with an unorthodox party and pay attention to encounter and boss design and you'll find out why real fucking fast.
>>
>>3662565

Is FFV any good? never played that one.
>>
>>3662581
If you're looking for gameplay it's the best in the series. If you're looking for story, look somewhere else.
>>
>>3662596

Thanks
>>
>>3660368
The plot is way too "epic" for its own good. Compared to something like Chrono Trigger, it comes off as extremely bloated.

Although, Kefka is brilliant and at the end of the game feels like a giant acomplishment
>>
>>3660368

For someone who has never played FFVI is it best to use the Brave New World ROM or the original?
>>
>>3660368
You're joking right? I've heard nothing but how great this game is and that it's the pinnacle of the franchise and everyone should love it.

VII by itself is infinitely more hated.
>>
File: gt2.jpg (53KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
gt2.jpg
53KB, 640x640px
Game still fantastic, surely its psychics got a little dated but still one of the most solid racers I ever played. Also, the built in car encyclopedia is amazing, you can see the love the devs put on that game even though it was a title made to sell millions of copies.
>>
>>3662682
I don't hate it by any means but I find it very hard to enjoy GT2 compared to GT1. They took GT1 and sure, put some new game modes in it and more cars but the terrible OST choices and change from GT1 atmosphere was too much for me.
>>
>>3662457
Banjo Kazooie is a fine ass platformer

Tooie is overrated though
>>
>>3662484
Those are fighting words.
>>
> I literally don't understand how anyone could hate ff6.
I don't hate it, but I don't think it's a good game. And yes, I played it when it came out origionally.

> it's a true masterpiece in storytelling
Storytelling was strong, but it was using ground-in tropes and was pretty predictable.

>music
Soundtrack is great.

>sprite work
The sprites, in isolation, we're really good. But the overall artistic composition (character relative sizes in and out of combat, palette choice issues) was very poor. It looks like a game full of clip art sprites on "painted" backgrounds.

>and game play.
Another poor aspect. Ignoring the huge bugs in the combat engine, it really didn't bring anything new or interesting to the table. It was a huge down step from FF5 in terms of player power control and choices.
>>
>>3662607
Brave New World is much better balanced, has far more interesting enemies, and fixes a lot of bugs.

However, it fails to reduce the encounter rate, which gets really tiresome later on because every single encounter can take a while to resolve (whereas in the original you can nuke most any random encounter in seconds.) BNW also adds one absurdly terrible scene to the game purely because the patch creator was worried that one character might end up under-leveled.

Overall, I recommend the original, but it really comes down to your preferences. I just don't have much patience for frequent random encounters these days.
>>
>>3660413
I'm with this guy.

Final Fantasies without the job system or -some- kind of customization are the worst ones.

FF6 is boring. You don't even spam physical attacks, you spam the over powered character abilities like Blitz and Tools. There is no penalty to learning or investment required in magic so everyone eventually ends up with all the magic.

It's not a fun game. It's really long and raelly boring because the choices you're making in combat are meaningless. FF4 is the same way honestly.
>>
>>3663168
This. This right here.

All of my friends were praising FF4 and FF6 back when they were just known as FF2 and FF3. When in reality, they were so damn boring compared to 3 and 5 since they didn't use the job system.
>>
>>3662780
I'd recommend BNW over the original specifically for that reason. The only thing good about the original's random encounters are that you can turn them off once you get to the WoR; there is nothing at all interesting about random encounters that get mulched on turn 1 with no resource expenditure or effort and being exposed to that for hours at a time is far worse than being exposed to a lot of random encounters where I have to try if I want to get them done in a reasonable time without blowing all of my MP immediately.
>>
My brain can understand why people hate Mega Man Legends, but my heart cannot.
>>
>>3662581
yes, it's my favorite alongside FFIV.
>>
>>3660368

I loved FF6 - I bought it when it first came to the US as FF3 and loved the shit out of it. I replay it every 5 years or so and still think it's a fun game. It's pretty much the definition of a "comfy" RPG.
>>
File: final-fantasy-iv-snes-jp.jpg (32KB, 640x354px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-iv-snes-jp.jpg
32KB, 640x354px
>>3664493

I loved FFIV so i must try FFV.
>>
>>3664547

Never understood that photo. It has absolutely nothing to do with FFIV but has everything to do with the games before it.
>>
>>3664554

>The Chocobo being the exception.
>>
>>3660368
Eh, I can believe it. It had a lot of problems.

I'd love to see a remastered version of FF6. Not any of this vector or 3D shit. Reuse the original sprites, but fix all the bugs, improve the dialog and sound quality, increase the field of view to fit a 16:9 display without stretching (extend battle backgrounds and stuff if necessary but stick to the same style), etc...
>>
>>3664547
FF5 was the epitome of the classic style of Final Fantasies. Starting with FF6 they started changing direction to be more cinematic focused.
>>
>>3660368
Turn-based easy combat is boring
>>
>>3663603
I understand where you're coming from. I do appreciate that the random encounters actually serve a purpose in BNW, and I would enjoy them a lot more than those in the original if they were just less frequent. Slowly cutting through a bunch of enemies that have a boat-load of HP without expending many resources, then taking three steps and running into the exact same enemy group again, really made me start wishing that the enemy encounters were just pointless speedbumps after a while.
>>
>>3664554
>Cecil (admittedly looking a bit like Fighter), Rosa, Edge
>Black and White Mages from Mysidia, who are pretty important to the game's plot and iconic
>Chocobo
Nigger it has everything to do with FFIV
>>
>>3664698

there's always the option of running away
>>
>>3664554
cecil originally had red hair
>>
>>3660368
I think anyone who hates FFVI is only due to the cringy fans. I still remember that thread in /vr/ from a few years back that was solely focused on which celebrities one would cast in an FFVI film adaptation.

FFVI fans scare me
>>
>>3664698
Stock up on Warp Whistles or carry around Gau or Shadow, they can cast Warp. They exist for this exact purpose.
>>
>>3665613
>I think anyone who hates FFVI is only due to the cringy fans

I guess you didn't read this thread. The only criticisms anyone has pointed out are flaws in the game's design and storytelling.
>>
File: diamonds.gif (273KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
diamonds.gif
273KB, 320x240px
>>3662696
>Tooie is overrated though
I personally thought it was just as fine as Kazooie IMO.
>>
>>3660413
I felt the same way about Suikoden. Everyone talks about all the great character or whatever, but there's hardly any fleshing out of any of them, especially not any that's worth how difficult it is to unlock some of them

I mean, Sengoku Rance has more character development for its enormous cast, albeit much of it accomplished through boning.
I have to say the original Water Margin is pretty bland and repetitive too, so not surprising the video game versions wouldn't do any better.
>>
>>3660368
The story in FF6 just stops in second part. Also I gave up when I realised I'll have to level up all chars for final dungeon.
>>
>>3660368

>I literally don't understand how anyone could hate ff6, it's a true masterpiece in storytelling, music, sprite work, and game play.

Neither do I. FFVI is the best. FFV was....strange, FFIV was excellent.
>>
>>3660368
Just recently played it.
Its amazing for a snes game but it is massively over hyped. The hate is the natural reaction from a rabid fanbase that puts FF6 on a pedestal.

Looking at this thread, there is legitimate criticism presented from FF fans rather than vitriol for the sake of being contrary like you claim OP.

Either way arguing over the "best" FF is autistic. FF6 is far from perfect, but not remotely the worst game. The bugs do hurt its credibility to even be called perfect, but it is still playable even if can be broken with vanish/death combo

I enjoyed the world of ruin, and nihilist clown final battle is a chilling sequence even if easy. random encouter enemies with 10,000+ hp are cancer too.
>>
Not sure about "hate" but wow do I not give a fuck about this game, and that's speaking as someone who was actively buying games during the SNES era and got CT, Secret of Mana etc on launch day. Possibly the most overrated Final Fantasy in the franchise, it's what all the anti FF7 kids flocked to to prove their superior taste with, "Heh I was here first with FF6 kid, you don't know anything with your new Final Fantasy game", really tiresome internet nerd horse shit. Fuck FF6 and especially its fans.
>>
>>3660507
how do I get this new world?
dont give me a patch for a rom
I dont know how to do that shit
>>
What's the best way to play VI for someone that has never played it before? I've played I-V and VII-X though.
>>
>>3660506
I fucking hate Tetris.
>>
>>3670736
then you're retarded and don't deserve to play it
seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? even children can figure out how to use patches
>>
>>3670736
Get patch
Get LunarIPS
Unzip patch
Read instructions to find out which ROM you need
Get correct ROM
Unzip ROM
Click LunarIPS
Apply patch to ROM
>>
>>3665613
That is probably the least cringiest thing I can imagine a fandom doing. Seems like someone's never checked out /mlp/.
>>
>>3673313
>least cringiest thing I can imagine a fandom doing
>/mlp/
>implying this was ever about comparing cringy fanbases

It's still cringy regardless
>>
File: 1473536397004.jpg (8KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1473536397004.jpg
8KB, 150x150px
>>3660368
>falling for the worst of the worst /vr/ bait
>>
File: bloodlines.png (48KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
bloodlines.png
48KB, 500x384px
>>3660368
That people hate Bloodlines is beyond me. Also, fuck Mike Mattei.
>>
>>3673795
Why doesn't Mike like The New Generation?
>>
>>3673935
becuz its 50hz
>>
>>3664547
fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff5/ff5down.htm

have fun
>>
>>3670739
I know you people are always in doubt over which version to play, so look at this list and decide

http://fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff6/ff6downloads.htm
>>
>>3662682
People will either say I hate racing games, or I hate Gran Turismo for not being a true simulation, vaccum cleaners, 50 Skylines or whatever, but never have I heard someone specifically attacking Gran Turismo 2.
>>
>>3660368
FFVI will always be my favorite

but one of the reasons why is also one of the reason I can see people hating it

it's easy as fuck and almost every character is OP in some way.
>>
>>3660368
It's ok. I'm sure if you curl up in a ball pit with some crayons you'll eventually be able to get though the horror of the entire world not having the same opinions as you.
>>
>>3670825
is there anyway to get this, with the patch installed? I have a Mac, and those programs are all Windows exclusive
>>
>>3676351
>Mac
Nope.
>>
I just dont get it. Sure, random battles are a pain, and character polygons suck ass, but each character contributes something to the story in a relatable way. (except quina, fuck that man girl frog thing) my favorite ff by far.
>>
>>3660368
FFVI is one of my favorite JRPGs but it definitely isn't a masterpiece. The Esper system could have been handled better either through an affinity system or some thing that molds characters into specific roles. Customization is shit, magic supplants everyone's unique skill at endgame, B U G S and then there's the World of Ruin.

I don't dislike the free reign concept, I love it, but once you get the airship the game's narrative is done. Characters have their one recruit scene and that's it. Dialogue is generic, characters don't react to each other outside of one or two cases and everything feels hollow.

The only thing I feel okay with admitting is a masterpiece in FFVI is the music work.
>>
>>3676351
LunarIPS works fine under WINE, at least on Linux. There's also a web patcher at

http://wanderingcoder.net/projects/JPS/

But it's not https.
>>
>>3660368
>ITT: kids who didn't grow up playing every FF
Please play them. Please grow up.
>>
>>3676530
i played them all growing up. ff6 is my favorite ff

i also really liked mystic quest

>opinions
>>
>>3660368
It is really great. Better than 7 imo
>>
>>3660368
I don't hate it but I think it's massively overrated. The gameplay is a downgrade from FF5. The storytelling was, I guess, fantastic for its time. Music was great, I'll give you that.

My main gripes are the encounter rate and no diagonal movement.
>>
>>3676538
I like the music in Mystic Quest... nothing else other than that.
>>
File: FFVI fans.png (54KB, 1663x887px) Image search: [Google]
FFVI fans.png
54KB, 1663x887px
I'm just going to leave this here for your entertainment.
http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2010/02/final-fantasy-vi.html
>>
-Relocalization has the most fixes of the big SNES translation projects, barring only a patch with all the bugfixes in one for the most from what I've seen. It's translation leans heavily on the GBA side of things, but fixes what went wrong using all known sources of text, and it tries to make sure everyone has the biggest voice possible. There's also a couple of QoL tweaks like faster Cyan meter and other low-key things. Font could be better, but it's better than you'd think in motion.

-Ted Woolsey Uncensored is the one you want if you're interested in playing the SNES original but without the bull. It's bugfixes are minimal to only the most crushing/stupid of bugs, and the translation remains faithful to the original one shipped to the US with all the screwups and problems in the script fixed. Names have also been updated. That's not to say little work was put into it, quite the opposite in fact because all available sources were used and the uncensoring goes to the same level as Relocalized

-GBA is the only place where you're going to see the big new Postgame stuff and new Magicite. However you'll have to patch the heck out of it; it's censored in one point all other versions aren't, the colors are brightened to max (this is a worse problem than on IV and V, as atmosphere is really important in VI), the music is awful at some points, and it slows down a great deal (poor thing probably should've been on DS like Chrono Trigger, oh well). All patches try their hardest, but there's still spots sometimes where the lesser quality port bleeds through. The translation is improved though some will argue. And as mentioned before, the new screen size will kind of mess with things. Postgame isn't bad if you grind enough though, and the "Odin has speed but Raiden doesn't" thing is solved by adding a Cactuar Magicite (the other choices just give Raiden speed). Also Leviathan is awesome no matter where it is. TOSE tried, but the GBA just wasn't enough in the end.
>>
File: squall has seen some shit.jpg (319KB, 1000x1728px) Image search: [Google]
squall has seen some shit.jpg
319KB, 1000x1728px
FF8, its so simple to side step the games flaws and yet people keep talking about them like they somehow ruin the entire experience, which is really confusing because besides the whole "MUH MAGIC DRAWING" bullshit, its actually a pretty exceptional game, and the story is subjective.
>>
>>3676726
>Not a single live action film outside of Miyazaki's work is art
>Classic Disney films haven't aged well
Where do they find people with taste this awful
>>
>>3660413
One of the few times when the entire reasonings I have is all stated in a single post. Good job anon.

>>3676783
Because I enjoy FF8 the most I acknowledge the complaints. Without going into detail. A lot of them are valid because of presentation. Actually I'd say the biggest faults are enc-half, enc-null, Aura, and Limit break damage. Were those removed or, in the case of the former, reduced before the final product hit, as well as making some sort of cap to amount of magic slottable based on category (i.e; status magic could equip 99 but junctioning to strength used something like lvl x 1.4)
then many of the argument levied would probably be completely nullified in regards to gameplay.

The junctioning limits aren't really necessary given how tedious it is early on but the flat out difficulty reducers and game breakers sure shouldn't be there. Hell, by the simple act of refining Bahamut's card you flat out break the game. As you said the story is subjective but how people experienced the game undoubtedly had an impact on how they recieved the story. When I first played this game after it had released I don't think I refined a single item until disk 3. Looking back as an adult, this is the one system that did need a tutorial. Your limit breaks didn't need a tutorial. Your magic refine abilities sure as fuck did though.

tl;dr many complaints are valid for different reasons.
>>
>>3676351
They have ips patchers for macs
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.