[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RetroUSB AVS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: AVSsmall.png (33KB, 240x165px) Image search: [Google]
AVSsmall.png
33KB, 240x165px
Hello friends; I checked the archive but I'm wondering what everyone's opinion on this piece of hardware is? It's got solid reviews, but I'm kind of a hardwarefag so any autistic opinions are very welcomed.
>>
>>3658627
It is really that good. The only downsides are that it doesn't include any controllers and it's compatible only with HDMI.
>>
>>3658640
Thanks for the insight. I'm totally opposed to modding my actual Famicoms, so this seemed like a rad way to play on my HDTV and Monitor. FPGA also seems like a nice middle ground between cannibalizing real hardware and shitty NOACs, and the price seems pretty reasonable. Are they still actively developing firmware updates?
>>
File: 4x 3x.png (7KB, 1024x720px) Image search: [Google]
4x 3x.png
7KB, 1024x720px
>>3658627
Main question you probably want to answer is whether a 4x horizontal 3x vertical scale looks good to you.
It's not as close to NES pixel aspect ratio as the 1080p output devices can get while still using integer scaling (5x 4x), but if 4x 3x doesn't look too wide to you, then you're good.
>>
>>3658654
I understand your concerns. Like you said, it is currently the best middle ground for all those features and options you're seeking.
I wish it cost close to 150$, including at least one controller, but the price for all it offers isn't bad either.
They do offer updates, but I haven't seen any compatibility issues, even with "hard" titles such as Castlevania 3 and other games with weird mappers. I play my original NES games and roms from my everdrive as well.
I don't own any famicom games, but I've read that it's also compatible with clone games and bootlegs, therefor you shouldn't have any issues, even without any updates.
>>
I truly enjoy my avs. I play my Nintendo games more than I have in a very long time just because of how convenient it is with my setup.
The emulation is very good and I've only noticed a couple odd ball graphical glitches a few times...then again, the same can be said for actual nes hardware...
>>
>>3658662
Can't it do 1:1, 'pixel-perfect(ish) mode when the stretching is turned all the way 'down'?
>>
>>3658627
>checked the archive
>misses the obvious thread were people noted it's flaws
>>3636285
>>
>>3658717
My mistake, thanks for the link I will check it out.
>>
>>3658717
>>3658728
OK, that thread was a shitshow. But it sounds like scaling issues are the main thing that could bother me, but I couldn't get a remotely clear idea from that thread,
>>
>>3658748
Unless you're a supreme purist, and about to examine everything from a thoroughly technical aspect, scaling won't be an issue.
>>
>>3658754
That's what I figured, I appreciate the advice. Most of the videos I've seen look good to me with the scaling option turned all the way down. I'm used to playing via RF or composite on a low-end PVM or 80s consumer set, but I'm trying to simply my desk setup and still enjoy the 8-bit games I love.
>>
>>3658663
My youtube front page recommended has overloaded me with a whole bunch of RetroUSB AVS videos. Just from sampling a few, they may just be isolated incidents but: I think I saw a video showing only the Bigfoot title screen being glitch for the AVS. Also someone showed they had graphical glitches with the Final Fantasy 7 demake. Some uncommon monitors/TVs may have audio problems:

These are really rare occurrences. So the $200 after shipping is pretty good for a HDMI NES system (obvious incompatibility with light gun games and exercise games) so long as you already have controllers.
>>
>>3658673
Yeah you can do that too if you like it that way.
>>
>>3658801
My YouTube page is exactly the same, I think the FF7 thing may have been fixed with firmware? Also that games uses a completely fucked up mapper, so not super surprising that it had issues. I have a box of controllers, some need new pads but I've got a few solid ones; it's starting to sound pretty appealing.
>>3658802
Cool, I generally prefer 1:1 on LCD screens, standard 'CRT' stretch on a CRT. Both are comfy in their own way. Pixel perfect with scanlines sounds awesome though.
>>
Now that the competition is heating up, I'm waiting for some massive fallout to commence between our resident emulation and hardware clone shills.

>Next week on /vr/: Retron, RetroArch and RetroUSB duke it out in a battle of half-truths, equivocations and outright lies
>>
>>3658858
hahaha, I honestly thought everyone here hated hardware clones of any kind. I was worried this thread would explode (and rightly so after seeing that last one) but it's been really helpful and intelligent.
>>
>>3658936
We had a thread that already exploded.
>>
>>3659204
That's what I was referring to, another anon linked it earlier after I overlooked it in the archive.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.