[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I get the GPD XD?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: GPD-XD-BLACK-16G-11.jpg (123KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
GPD-XD-BLACK-16G-11.jpg
123KB, 400x381px
Been looking at this thing for emulation purposes. I currently have a modded PSP for portable retro, but this seems like it may be a significant improvement. Tell me /vr/, has anyone here tried it?
>>
>>3657525

It's an Android platform, so no. Android emulators are horrific, and most are non-free software. You're honestly better off sticking with a modded PSP.
>>
>>3657528
Really? Most Android emulators I've used have been pretty decent (not counting n64, but I don't think there's any really good n64 emulators out there in general). What had me wanting it was its ability to do PS1 games. And I know that PSP can do that, but the controller setup is awful for it (no L2/R2, Analog, etc)
>>
Do not listen to >>3657528

It's a fine machine and if you're not too retarded to set up RetroArch, it's probably the best way to emulate games on the go. Fantastic price:power ratio, I've been replaying Shenmue on it with no problems.
>>
>>3657551
>RetroArch

You're literally recommending the same emulators that are likely already available for Android, as RetroArch is just a frontend for various emulation cores written by other people. Since those emulators perform like shit on ARM platforms as is, there's no reason to believe tacking a frontend onto them is going to make any difference.
>>
>>3657551
Don't know how you're playing Shenmue on Android considering Reicast is kinda shitty.

Anyway OP, it will more then blow out your old PSP. But I am unsure if it's the best option out there
>>
>>3657592
Well, mind showing me a couple other options then?
>>
>>3657525
I really like it.
It's really my emulator and portable pinball machine.
>>
File: 51xu3FO8IpL.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51xu3FO8IpL.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
>>3657596
You could go the phone proper route, a decent controller is pretty affordable and you can get a more powerful phone then the GPD

You do however don't get the form factor of the GPD, and will have to cart around 2 pieces instead of one, and for the phone the price can vary.
>>
Everywhere I look the GPD XD is out of stock, anyone know when they're going to get more in?
>>
>>3657612
Yeah, I considered that, but I'd like a proper device I can slip in my pocket and pull out whenever, get what I mean?

>>3657623
Their official site says they have them, dude. http://www.gpdxd.com/
>>
>>3657528
>buying android software when you can pirate it
kek.

>>3657525
Plays everyting up to Dreamcast at 100% speed with as little glitches as possible ofr an Android platform.
Plays some Dreamcast games too.
Since N64 emulation is shitty in general, some games might work fine, others - not so much

There's also Win10 version with keyboard that can not only do Dreamcast at 100% speed, but also Gamecube and Wii, as well as all the Windows games. It costs twice as much though.
>>
>>3657639
Sounds like it has everything I want, then. I'm curious about the device you're telling me about though. It can run Gamecube at 100%?
>>
>>3657649
Not with them specs

Also the Dreamcast emulator on Android hasn't been updated in forever and can be very buggy depending on the game, it does run well at least.

N64 emulation is... N64 emulation and will be spotty.

Just about everything else will work fine I think.
>>
its honestly not a bad piece of hardware, i bought one, and while i dont really use it anymore, the times that i did use it were fine. I just wish the emulators for SNES were better on android
>>
>>3657649
GPD Win is a recent kickstarter project. They had a rough time releasing it, with loads of faulty units (broken batch of intel processors). They stopped production to fix all the shit, and it was restarted recently. So far people have no issues with new versions.

It can run many gamecube games (Metroid Prime included) at 100% if you are willing to compromise with some speedhacks, and reducing CPU throtle down (lowers how much FPS game considers 100%, and makes it run at 30-40 frames with 100% speed. Works much better than frameskip)
>>
>>3657667
The GPD Win has a pretty poor battery life from what I saw though.
>>
>>3657664
What kinda issues did you have with SNES on android?
>>
I've got the GPD WIN, but the XD is an awesome piece of hardware too for half the price. If all you want is retro, stick with the XD. I was one of the lucky ones who got a perfect unit from the first batch of WINs and have been playing it nonstop for over a month now. If you get one that works correctly, it is an excellent device. But it seems to be a gamble for some people and shipping to China and back would take forever if it's faulty. Any questions just ask.
>>
>>3657692
The highest I want to do is PS1, will the XD be good for that?
>>
>>3657695
Yes absolutely
>>
>>3657695
Even my shitter phone can do ps1, shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>3657695
No, you need the GPD Win.
It also does Dos box which is impossible on Android Arm pocessor.
>>
>>3657708
Full of shit mate
>>
>>3657708
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Et017nHwtSE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M580E1_TgmQ
>>
>>3657562
Please learn what you are talking about before commenting.
>>
>>3657907
>commenting
You get lost on your way to YT, faggot?
>>
File: Capture.png (15KB, 558x221px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
15KB, 558x221px
>>3657919
Are you really such an underdeveloped child that you think a comment is just something you leave on a youtube vid?
>>
>>3657938
No one here refers to posts as "comments". Your newfag is showing.
>>
>>3657949
>>3657938
>>3657919
>>3657907
*Grabs popcorn*
>>
>>3657525
GPD Win just came out, they might entertain themselves with that for a while, but the GPD XD2 is said to be coming soon.

I would personally wait, but if you have 200$ burning in your pocket then go ahead, it's a great device, tho you could also look at the JXD 5800 (I believe that's the number) Which has a form factor similar to the PSP.
>>
>>3657664
some slowdown, but alot of input lag. to the point of causing major frustration with super mario world. though i could just be a turbo autist
>>
>>3658062
I use a standard android phone and I have never experienced any input lag, don't know what's so special about my phone/controller
>>
>>3657528
Wrong: The post.
>>3657525
Android is the second tier option for emulators, after x64 windows of course.
http://www.emucr.com/search/label/Mobile?&max-results=100
>>
>>3657949
Been here since the start nigga. No need to get so butthurt just cause you don't understand how words work.
>>
>>3657525
>All that empty space in the middle around the buttons
This triggers my autism.
>>
>>3658204
That's where the internal heat dissipators are supposed to be, brosuke.
>>
>>3657528
Wow, talk about an idiot. Ignore this guy, OP. Android emulators are fine. You can do N64 on android, now, and even Dreamcast. PSP emulation is damn near perfect, as is PSX. I mean, near perfect from a playability perspective, not from a "I'm a sperg lord and get into arguments about CRTs on 4chan" perfect.
>>
>>3658758
Really? Last time I used N64 on an android device, a few months ago, I had a lot of sound lag and visual glitches.
>>
>>3658513
Eh, makes sense.
>>
File: 1474302009730.png (24KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1474302009730.png
24KB, 625x626px
>>3658758
>You can do N64 on android, now, and even Dreamcast. PSP emulation is damn near perfect, as is PSX

Sure thing :^)
>>
>>3658764
What emulator and settings?
>>
>>3659148
I was using Mugen 64, I didn't really tinker with the settings though.
>>
>>3659365
You have to with mupen, were you using the AE or FZ version?
>>
>>3659371
Mupen, right, sorry. I honestly don't recall, my extent of experience with it was downloading it, trying to play Banjo Kazooie, and uninstalling it when it was near unplayable.
>>
File: gameklip-5[1].jpg (46KB, 575x390px) Image search: [Google]
gameklip-5[1].jpg
46KB, 575x390px
>>3657612
I just use this
>>
until i can run any operating system i want (linux or even netbsd) on one of those, i'm never buying them
>>
Nintendo needs to stop shilling their backstock on /vr/

Or at least post coupons
>>
Well, after hearing all of the points, I've decided to buy the GPD XD. Thanks guys for all the info.
>>
>>3658764
I had to play around with the settings depending on what game im playing on my Note 5. The emulation isnt terrible but once you get a good emulator and settings down it works.
>>
>>3657528
Doesn't RetroArch work on Android? Why not use that?
>>
>>3657525
>Should I get the GPD XD?
No
>>
>>3659936
Why?
>>
>>3659759
Because many people on this board can't take 10 minutes to figure out how it works so they've designated it as shit before even trying.
>>
How safe is this thing? How do I know the Chinese government isnt going to use it to spy on me?
>>
>>3662124
Go down that path and you'll be living in a cave.
>>
>>3662124
You can always disable network connectivity if you're worried.
>>
>>3662331
Alright, but how do you know GPD isnt depositing the money in your account to an off shore bank?
>>
>>3659759
>>3660067
I find retroarch is a mess, and sometimes it's authors go too autistic for authenticity and completely ignore playability, so it does not work well on many cheaper devices.

In the end, I found individual emulators to be better.

>>3662370
Not that person, but GPD are chink company. They are too cheap for that.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.