[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you need more weeb space opera in your life Why was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: ps2wallpaper_1b.jpg (186KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ps2wallpaper_1b.jpg
186KB, 1024x768px
>tfw you need more weeb space opera in your life

Why wasn't the Phantasy Star series as popular as FF and Dragon Quest, /vr/?

1 was a boilerplate Wizardry clone. No problems there. 2, for all its grindiness and overcomplicated dungeons, had a gorgeous aesthetic, excellent music, and an awesome space opera setting.

3 we do not need to discuss, although the whole generations thing could have been very interesting. Also that Wren is a fucking OG.

4...is excellent all around.

Wh-wh happen, /vr/? Why isn't this stuff into its nth instalment like the other guys? Or am I just seeing it all through rose-tinted glasses? What would you do with this franchise now if you were going to revive it?

Also, Phantasy Star general. Sorry for spamming but I've been feeling the love for the old gal these days. For the conversation about PSO, >>3637342.

Music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihL6n9s-PzM
>>
it's cause only the poor kids has segas
>>
>>3657238
>segas

you're like my grandma that calls every video game system a "nintendo"

also, only poor kids didn't own every system
>>
>>3657232
Do your homework.

Mark III/SMS failed both in Japan and US. Mega Drive was steamrolled by SFC in Japan and lost even to PC Engine; it barely had any original third-party RPGs (aside from those on Sega CD). The biggest console for Sega in Japan was Saturn. And it had no original PS games. By the time PSO came out it was too late.
>>
>>3657248
>PS1 on Sega Master System
>PS2-4 on Sega Genesis
How the fuck do you want me to refer to them beyond "Segas"?
>>
>>3657249
So you think it was a hardware issue, more than an aesthetics/culture thing? These things are interesting to me.

PS2 is like the JRPGiest JRPG I can think of, and they've proven to be fairly robust over time. DQ just keeps rolling along year after year, it seems, and I was just wondering why PS didn't have the same good fortune. When I think about the Ultima/Wizardry one-two punch that makes the JRPG what it is I just assume I am looking at something basically bulletproof in terms of sales. But if it was a question of hardware and market timing...that's interesting, anon.
>>
I own Phantasy Star II, but I haven't played the first game. Do I need to play the first one to understand it, or is it like Final Fantasy, where the games have very little to do with each other?
>>
>>3657292
There are points made that connect the two of them together, but nothing critical...just minor easter eggs.
>>
>>3657298
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>3657232
Quite honestly, I think it was a fallout of Sega of Japan being right dicks in general. They made so many mind-boggling decisions that if Barry Allen went back in time to make Nintendopoint, where Sega never existed, it would actually be better.
Looking through their history and interviews can tell you all about how stupid they were with missed opportunities and dick waving.
>>
>>3657257
Dude, you seem to be totally clueless.

DQ was THE game that started JRPG with a bang. Wizardry and Ultima were already known in Japan before it. But then Horii, Sugiyama and Toriyama assembled an all-star team, and every game they made sold like hotcakes in Japan. Every JRPG that followed it owes to it, and it's more popular in Japan than Final Fantasy. They always came out on the most popular systems in Japan: first Famicom and Super Famicom, then PS, PS2, DS, Wii and so on. It never took on that big in US, but don't let that fool you, it's still one of the biggest franchises in Japan.

On the other hand, PS games came out on Sega's consoles, which sold like shit in Japan. And since we're talking about JRPG, domestic market is what matters most.

Mark III was barely noticed in Japan and US and lost to NES clearly. Then came Genesis, and it did better, but only in US. In Japan it was beaten completely and utterly, SNES outsold it 5 to 1. And even PC Engine beat it, attracting all the 3rd party RPGs. Heck, even Sonic wasn't popular in Japan. So PS would never sell much in Japan.

Then came Saturn, and things changed. But it had a new RPG headliner, Sakura Taisen. So for 5th gen, PS was largely forgotten.

PSO seemed to have given the series a new spin. But then Sega went bankrupt and the rest is history.
>>
>>3657292
It's almost exactly like Breath of Fire 's case in that they're a lot of years apart from each other.

III is the exception here but that's more of a side story.
>>
>>3657232
>Why isn't this stuff into its nth instalment like the other guys?
The Phantasy Star team was ropped into doing other games (like Sakura Wars) during the short-lived Saturn era and never really got the chance to continue the series. Once Sonic Team decided to use the franchise for their upcoming online action RPG the fate of classic Phantasy Star was sealed.

Basically another victim of incompetent Sega business practices. With enough time I'm sure we would have seen a Phantasy Star on the Saturn.
>>
>>3657323
>Wizardry and Ultima were already known in Japan before it
Not by the masses that only owned a Famicom.
>>
>>3657429
Given that both were released for the Famicom, I would say that yes, yes they did
>>
>>3657429
>>3658816
I don't know this for sure, but one thing can be said for certain: DQ's impact in Japan can't be overstated.

> Dragon Quest III sold over one million copies on the first day with almost 300 arrests for truancy among students absent from school to purchase the game,[49] and 3.8 million copies total in Japan.[50]
>>
>>3657253
Sega consoles.
>>
>>3657232
>Sega Sammy goes full retard and has the old PS team and Atlus develop a new mainline PS entry
I'll be honest, my dick would be diamonds.
>>
>>3658816
>Wizardry (Famicom): 1987
>Ultima 3 (Famicom): 1987
No, the masses didn't know about RPGs until Dragon Quest (1986), Wizardry enjoyed success for being 'like Dragon Quest'.
>>
File: LoGH.jpg (407KB, 1844x1794px) Image search: [Google]
LoGH.jpg
407KB, 1844x1794px
>>3659550
Me fucking too! Give me something like Mass Effect without the retarded Bioware fetishism and just stick with 80s/Japan/space opera. Let me explore planets, unlock bonus moons, fight easter egg super bosses, manage an ever-changing and increasing roster of characters from my HQ...what the fuck. We know how to do these things now.

I mean, I know DQ is a Thing over there in Japan. It's undeniably brilliant, and part of what makes it so is that it is something you can always come back to and it is always there, always the same, just the way you remembered it. It doesn't matter what age you are. It's as fantasy as fantasy gets.

An SF version of that *should* have worked. I cannot for the life of me see how it didn't. I understand now how much of this had to do with timing and hardware, weird business decisions, the release of new consoles. And while part of me likes how increasingly innovative FF has become - the new FF, which I have not played, is basically about a member of the 1% - I just wish that Phantasy Star had had more time to percolate on its own, to get to a place that FF did with FF6. Or FF7, I suppose, but 6 for me is the king.

FF7 basically goes from high fantasy to steampunk/demi-SF, but FF6 was already there in a way. 80s space opera is just such a good look for shameless /vr/ weebs like me. And the ending of PS2 was fucking poetic in a way that mini-me totally failed to understand when I played it through the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUW_xxBvOA

Anyways, thanks to all for bumping this nostalgia-fest.
>>
File: Raja.png (2KB, 222x222px) Image search: [Google]
Raja.png
2KB, 222x222px
>>3659623

see what I liked about PS is that it just threw all it's toys on the table and let the viewer put the pieces together from there

Mass Effect is too Star Trekky in that it feels the new to explain what each races bag is to the point where they all become one note cliches, like how Klingons are all warriors and all Cardasians are shifty.

Dezolans, Parmans and Motavians are just what they appear as and everyone exists as an individual person. Some are religious, some are merchants but a lot more are just jerks in towns walking in circles
>>
>>3657253
You don't call Nintendo consoles "Nintendos" do you?
>>
>>3660029

When reform to them in a group collective I do
>>
>>3660246

*referring

choke on a dick, auto correct
>>
>>3657232
>Why wasn't the Phantasy Star series as popular as FF and Dragon Quest, /vr/?

Shit localization and censorship, I would imagine. At least, that's why I tend to avoid it. I've yet to come across any decent effort at a re-translation of PSII.
>>
>>3659764
>Some are religious, some are merchants but a lot more are just jerks in towns walking in circles
That is existentially deep.
>>
>>3660425
Those issues are hardly unique to Phantasy Star. I would be hard-pressed to name a JRPG from that time period that didn't suffer from them.
>>
>>3660513
Glory of Herakles or Megami Tensei didn't have those problems.
>>
>>3660513

I don't understand this. Are you trying to diminish my point simply by pointing out that other RPGs have similar issues? Who said I even play those games? Why do you seem to think I should settle for a shitty localization just because other companies do it too?
>>
>>3657232
I like that the ending of PSII pretty much has you become jRPG space Hitler if Hitler was actually right.
>>
>>3659764

long post inbound

I agree. The danger is in the game taking itself too seriously. This is what happened to FF with 7 and beyond. Had to happen but as time goes on I think it works against the series.

What I love about PS is that very sense of lightness and balance. The ending of PS2 is mildly depressing, but there was no other way to deal with those kinds of themes, environmentalism, technological slavery, etc in a completely lighthearted way.

PS1 is basically still just high fantasy with a space-opera gloss. But PS2 really gives you this sense of a futuristic world, and by the time you get to PS4 there's a basic theme there: the environment, biomonsters, all of that. I haven't thought much about 3 in a while...mostly blocked out of my mind. But there was untapped potential there too.

So I don't know. A reboot maybe? Not sure. But there are enough original or semioriginal ideas at work there to always have my attention.

Maybe I'm just contrarian. I love DQ of course and FF also. But anyways. Nostalgia-posting is basically what I'm here to do.

>tfw based robots vs environmentalist mega-arc though
>tfw collapsing planetary weather control device upsets balance of universe
>tfw ff6-esque World Destroyed act 2, leading to gathering rebel forces scattered between worlds
>tfw you must repair Mother Brain b/f DF devours the stars
>>
>>3660684

>tfw i complain that game shouldn't take itself too seriously, then post super-melodramatic story ideas
>tfw i don't really know what i'm talking about but w/e
>>
>>3660663
>Are you trying to diminish my point simply by pointing out that other RPGs have similar issues?

Yes.

>Who said I even play those games?

Your personal standards and preferences are irrelevant to the argument being made. If other RPG series gained lasting popularity in spite of a poor localization, then it seems reasonable to assume that the localization is not the reason that Phantasy Star failed to endure.

>>3660515
Yes, I suppose games with no localization did indeed avoid receiving a poor localization.
>>
>>3660684

Three had some ideas Id like to see get proper treatment but goddamn was that game just all botched to shit
>>
>>3660828
>then it seems reasonable to assume that the localization is not the reason that Phantasy Star failed to endure
.. or PS is exceptionally that much worse by comparison. It's not like it would be the last time Sega fucked up a localization. Let's not forget the travesty that was Streets of Rage 3.

>Your personal standards and preferences are irrelevant to the argument being made
Then so are yours, hard ass.
>>
File: 13-ps3_1403.png (9KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
13-ps3_1403.png
9KB, 640x480px
>>3661024
What did you like about 3? Don't make it sound too tempting or I will have to add it to my to-play list and I'll have my hands full as it is with 1 (maybe), 2 (probably) and 4 (definitely). Frankly I'm just happy they transported Wren into PS4. Big fan of deathless cyborgs with guns. I know, okay, *technically* he's not the same guy...anyways.

I don't know man. This setting just has too many dope possibilities to let go of. Generations was definitely a gnarly concept but I'd be okay with just having people coming and going from the house like PS2 or being able to generate w/e party you wanted a la DQ3. Plus bonus characters, special characters, etc as in FFT.

What aspect of PS3 did you genuinely like? For me, PS1 just had the classic Ultima/Wizardry vibe. It's wonderful and perfect. 2 has the aesthetic, and arguably the most important plot points. 3, ______. Something. And 4 showed what was possible when you brought all of that together.

We deserved a 5, goddamnit. We deserved a 5! Even FF didn't really hit its stride until 6 (or 4, but...well).

>tfw weeb levels over 9000
>feels good man
>>
File: 1450069422981.png (8KB, 640x896px) Image search: [Google]
1450069422981.png
8KB, 640x896px
>>3660669
It's incredibly prescient, I think.

GameFAQs:
The reason nobody in Algo knew who created Mother Brain or where she was was because she was introduced to Algo by an "alien" civilization (from the planet Earth) for one purpose and one purpose only...to take control of the system, make Algo's people hopelessly dependant on her, then destroy them when society was at its weakest and most lethargic. Rolf and his group averted this by destroying Mother Brain, but at a high cost... society was about to be plunged into a dark age for which it was very, very unprepared.

Rolf and his friend are about to leave Mother Brain's headquarters when Lutz contacts them telepatically and informs them they're still someone else on the ship. So they head back and find Mother Brain's creators. The people tell Rolf they're the last survivors of a long-dead planet called Earth. Their home planet was effectively laid to waste by their society's joy in controlling nature, which they didn't realize until the planet was about to die. They used the last of their resources to build the spaceship you're on, which they used to wander the universe in search of a new home. They found the Algo system, but instead of touching down and co-existing with its inhabitants, they decided they wanted to possess and take over the system. They introduced Mother Brain to develop Algo to their liking and also make its inhabitants dependent on them.

The earthlings state that while the current Mother Brain is destroyed, they'll build another after they kill you. Lutz teleports in the remaining members of Rolf's group and the final 7 closeups involve each of the characters doing battle against the Earthlings. The final screen leaves things somewhat ambigious, though since it's established in PS4 that another Mother Brain was never made, it seems Rolf and his friends were victorious in this final battle.

Society/plunged/dark age/unprepared. It sounds like *today*. What the fuck.

What.
The.
Fuck.
>>
File: geneticjam.jpg (75KB, 390x590px) Image search: [Google]
geneticjam.jpg
75KB, 390x590px
>>3661173
>What did you like about 3?

Well in general Im always a sucker for branching story paths and the generation system could fit that to a t.

The story of a society finding out they're inside a giant space ship has serious legs especially when seen through the eyes of royalty and what your responsibility as a leader is with that information

Also I think there's a lot of potential for real tear jerkers as they grow old and die. If they where better written that is. Hell your pair of androids serving your family for generations alone has real meat to it.

The ideas are there but the game doesn't really take advantage of any of it. Id almost reccomend playing it just to see how badly a good idea can be botched.

Also Miue is a cute
>>
>>3661197

Id actually like to see a game set in that dark age. PS4 is feeling the effects of the plunge but Zio's bullshit aside it seems like they where more or less putting shit back together
>>
>>3661217
Goddamn right. Sold. The generations concept really should have worked out. Watching young characters get old...isn't this why people love DQ5 so much? Plus dynastic politics, all the rest, inheritance of fiefs and worlds...

And then on top of that, you have have the story reflect the younger generation learning what the older generation did/did not do to serve the peace...

>>3661225
FF6 did this well, giving you both halves of the thing. What they left out was the third part, maybe of putting the world back together...even though leaving it where they did, and folding it in the credit sequence, was total genius vidya storytelling.

If PS2 is where it ends, then this would indeed make sense as to where the story of PS5/X/? would pick up.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNrjPUSycwM
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.