[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For the first time ever I am emulating an arcade game, Tetris

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
For the first time ever I am emulating an arcade game, Tetris the Grandmaster 2.

Is it degenerate to play this game with a PS3 D-pad? Does playing this game with an arcade stick make that big of a difference? I'm not going to buy an arcade stick for a single game, I am just curious if anyone here has played a TGM game the fundamental way.

This has also opened up my interest in other arcade games that I have missed out on.

Arcade general
>>
lol it's a fucking tetris, it doesn't matter what you play it with.
>>
I've played it in MAME with a keyboard and on a real cab with a joystick. Just do what you're comfortable with. PS3 controller is fine.
>>
>>3656331
keyboard is probably the best ngl
>>
Playing the proper cabinet is better but it doesn't matter all that much considering TGM2 sucks anyway. TGM3, on the other hand... That's the ambrosia of Tetris.
>>
>>3656365
Is there really that big of a difference? I figured TGM 2 would be right in line with 3.
>>
>>3656309
>not having even one arcade stick
Damn. The poorfags out out in full force today.
>>
TGM in particular is quite sensitive to what you use since it's so demanding.

I've played a fair bit on the cabinet (I used to live in Japan) and at home, and I think the controller and the stick work about equally well so long as you have a proper stick. For example, a big problem with using a fight stick is that the throw is completely different from what you would find at an actual arcade and I find them very hard to use.

Some people say that certain things are more difficult on the keyboard, but I'm not sure I believe it. I think the biggest concern with keyboard is that you need to maintain some ability to translate your skills to the stick if you want to play on an actual cabinet.

I absolutely would not use a d-pad.

>>3656329
I'm guessing you're either trolling or otherwise unfamiliar with the franchise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Bw_HI1Uvw

>>3657115
TGM 2 (better known as TAP) is quite popular but also pretty different from TGM 3 (aka TI).

Cont'd next post
>>
>>3657725
TGM and TAP are very similar. The main characteristics of their gameplay is a single piece preview, no hold, and a fixed speed curve. TAP has quite a few quality-of-life features that make it generally more enjoyable to play but this is matched with a higher difficulty level.

TI is quite different. TI gives you a three piece preview, a hold button, and introduces a "cool" system, which causes you to jump up 100 levels in the speed curve if you play a section of 100 levels within a certain speed limit. It also adds an account system which retains your grade across games.

TI is fundamentally similar to TGM and TAP in that it is a tetris game oriented completely around speed and survival at high speeds. However, it's a *lot* more difficult than its predecessors for a number of reasons.

First of all, the variable speed curve causes TI to get much faster than either game. If you're playing at a decent speed, level 500 of TI master will be faster than TAP ever gets outside of death and the speeds towards the end of master will be comparable to the end of death in TAP. Furthermore, the conditions for getting a GM have been made much stricter. The main change is that you now have to get progressively faster as the game goes on, since you must get every "cool" and to get a "cool" your current section of 100 levels can't be slower than your previous section of 100 levels. Getting a GM also requires playing 54 seconds of invisible tetris, during which you have to get at least two tetrises. The cherry on top is that to actually be given the GM grade you have to do this whole thing several times in a row due to the way the account system works.

A GM in TGM is somewhere around an S6 or S7 in TAP, which is about an S3 in TI. While there are many, many GMs on TGM and TAP, there are only 6 on TI. It's tough.
>>
>>3657725
>I'm guessing you're either trolling or otherwise unfamiliar with the franchise.
i don't know what are you trying to say with that vid, it controls like a regular tetris, it doesn't matter if you use pad, keyboard or stick, the same goes for shmups, unless you are jap level player(which i doubt you are), it doesn't matter what you use. but of course you should avoid touch or analog.
>>
>>3657890
The only aspect in which it controls like regular Tetris is that the buttons are the same. Compared to regular Tetris, even other arcade versions of Tetris, the room of error in TGM is very thin, especially in TI because it has a lot of input lag.

There are two reasons why dpads are bad for TGM in particular. The first is that you really don't want to have diagonals since getting a left or right by accident (especially in conjunction with down) is very dangerous. The second is that TGM, unlike virtually every other form of Tetris, uses a lot of fighting game-esque inputs ("zangimoves"), like left-up-right-down), which are much easier on other control methods than with a pad.
>>
>>3657725
Ive tried playing with the control stick on the DS3 but it felt over sensitive. Ill try it again. Also that is a bunch of interesting info. I wish there was a way for westerners to play TGM3. I guess I will hone my skills at TGM2.
>>
File: TGM3.png (334KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
TGM3.png
334KB, 640x480px
>>3659326
TGM 3 can be played on the PC because it uses a Taito X2 board. Google it.

There are a few problems, however. The first is that you need to make sure that the framerate is exactly correct. If it's above 60FPS the game will be completely unplayable, and if it's below the game becomes pretty easy (some people call this an accidental TAS). For some reason most frame counters won't display correctly and my attempts to get a frame limiter to work with it failed, so to get it running at a solid 60 I had to do some tweaking while checking the game timer against a stopwatch to see that it was running at the correct speed.

It also takes a bit of work to get the input working correctly. Make sure you download the version with the Typex loader because it works a lot better than the default.

You also might have to use something like Xpadder to get it to work with a stick. I'm not sure as I haven't touched my config in a long time.

All of the TGMs are designed with a stick in mind. They don't do well with diagonal inputs and definitely not with anything analog.

Pic related
>>
>>3656309
No. It's only degenerate to play it sitting down.

Feel free to use whatever you want and can make work effectively ... an arcade stick, a hitbox, a mechanical keyboard, a musical keyboard, one of those one handed FPS pseudo keyboards, a gamepad, or a gamepad face down alongside a numeric keypad in the other hand.
>>
>>3659861
That's really interesting about the Taito board. I wish that Arika would just release the TGM series on Steam.
>>
>>3661005
Standing up at arcades is not universal. I've been to a thousand arcades in Japan and the only games I've seen people stand up to play are rhythm games and those weird multiplayer lightgun games that I don't quite understand.
>>
>>3661479
That would be nice but there's zero chance of that happening. The Tetris Company sets out a guideline for all how Tetris games are supposed to look and play and one of the major struggles of the TGM franchise is that TGM falls very far outside of that.

Making TGM guideline would also make it a substantially worse game. The guideline requirements produced the "world" ruleset in TGM 3, so if you'd like to see what that amounts to, try it out. Even then, it's still not quite the standard since there's only limited lock reset (in other words, you can't give yourself infinite time to place a piece by rotating it).

Also, Arika seems to be very antagonistic towards its western fanbase. The developer blog was (is?) restricted to Japanese IPs, among other things. The existence of imitation games like Texmaster also seems to boil their blood pretty good. I guess they don't realize that we would pay for TGM if we were given the option to.

Hell, I only spent a year in Japan and I spent well over $200 on the game.
>>
>>3661005
>No. It's only degenerate to play it sitting down.
take a load of this americuck
>>
File: SB1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1467899862.jpg (56KB, 1024x589px) Image search: [Google]
SB1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1467899862.jpg
56KB, 1024x589px
>>3657983
Do you think the Smashbox would be able to handle TGM games well? Because if so, the Smashbox may be a worthy investment once it comes out.

http://www.hitboxarcade.com/products/smash-box
>>
>>3662834
It would work because a keyboard works, but an arcade stick will always be the best way to go because if you ever play on an actual machine, that'll be the way.
>>
>>3665065
i think you are too fixated on sticks, two really decent westie shmup players have performed just as good on a real cab as on mame, one of them was using keyboard(it was prometheus) and another was using pad i think, of course it probably took them some time to get used to the stick and arcade cab's display, but if you can do something, you can do it regardless of device input, so you should just use whatever you like, especially since most players will never play on the real cab anyway. there are even people who play on the hated x360 d-pad and do good.
>>
>>3665115
TGM can be played just fine on a keyboard. I mostly play it on a keyboard in fact. In this case, it's not an issue of what makes the best controller in terms of ability, but what is the best controller to learn on the basis of what you are likely to encounter in an arcade.

If TGM is the game, ten times out of ten you will see an arcade stick. It stands to reason then that if you're going to spend money on a controller to play TGM you should probably use the standard controller.
>>
>>3665115
Arcade sticks give you that hands on feel though.
>>
>>3662834
That thing looks awkward as fuck, especially since smash relies a lot on having a proper analog stick for movement.
>>
>>3657725
>a big problem with using a fight stick is that the throw is completely different from what you would find at an actual arcade
I'm going to assume you're referring to a Sanwa JLF as a "fight stick", as opposed to say a Seimitsu LS-32. Not sure what you're getting at because over the 10+ years I've lived in Japan I've seen TGM cabs with both sticks, and never have I seen anyone complain about the throw on a JLF while playing TGM.

To actually answer OPs question- why do you give a fuck what we think? Play with whatever feels comfortable to you.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.