[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Supposedly Lumasync is better than Csync, does anyone have a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: scart.jpg (12KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
scart.jpg
12KB, 300x225px
Supposedly Lumasync is better than Csync, does anyone have a comparison pic that shows the on-screen difference?
>>
>>3656025
This is an autistic level of obesession. Don't fall for the scart meme.
>>
Thing is either I buy two separate cables for my Snes and my Gamecube OR (if there's much difference between the sync's quality) one cable for both.

>>3656030
I take it your an American right?
>>
>>3656164
*isn't
>>
CSync is Composite Sync.
It is JUST the sync information, no video information what so ever. It may be referred to as raw sync, clean sync, stripped sync, or C/Composite Sync. The reason it is called Composite Sync is because it is a composite of Horizontal and Vertical Sync information.

Luma Sync is Luminance, or the Y portion of Y/C(S-Video) and YPbPr(Component)
It is, essentially a greyscaled version of the total video image being sent/displayed, consisting of just the brightness of the over all image. Referred to as Luma, Luma Sync, Sync over Luma, etc.

CVid/ is Composite Video
It's the full image: Luma, Chroma, and Sync information all encoded into one signal. This is what is considered standard for SCART based RGB.

There are some cases where using Composite video can cause a bit of artifacting on screen, be it from crosstalk over the cable or interference once it gets to the display.. This is more so an issue for upscalers than it is CRTs, especially for consumer models(CRT).

Luma is often used in place of it since it is less likely to cause interference as well as being available on certain systems that don't offer C-Sync(such as Playstation(s) and some Nintendo systems),

CSync is really the "purest" sync you can get, since that is literally all it is. Upscalers often benefit from this for different reasons, and pieces of professional gear (Extron switchers) require it outright. A few displays also require it, but those are few and far between, honestly.
>>
>>3656393
So csync is actually the best? I thought it was better to use luma (whenever you can) since it wouldn't give you a checkerboard issues. If so WOULD it be better to buy a Csync scart cable that I can use for the snes as well as the Gamecube?
>>
>>3656492
CSync>Luma Sync>CVid as Sync

CSync is literally just sync information, so there's no video information to act as interference.

Just make sure what you're actually getting is Composite Sync and not Composite Video as Sync.

>If so WOULD it be better to buy a Csync scart cable that I can use for the snes as well as the Gamecube?
As far as I know, SNES and GC aren't really prone to having issues with CVid as sync, but if it's a choice between Luma Sync and CSync, Csync would be the way to go.

HOWEVER, if we're talking PAL consoles, neither console offers CSync direct from the MultiAV; Rather, they have 12VDC on that pin. A CSync cable for PAL SNES/GC would have to use a sync stripper/sync cleaner in ordered to give CSync without modding the console itself.

And if we're talking NTSC consoles, NTSC Gamecubes don't have RGB out.
>>
>>3656541
SNES checker boards on my xrgb mini without csync
>>
>>3656541
PAL GC supports CSYNC, but the PAL SNES doesn't. I own both consoles and use CSYNC on my GC and sync on luma on my SNES.
>>
>>3656030
Poor burger detected.
>>
So can anyone make a comparison between csync and lumasync?

>>3656541
Yes, I have a PAL snes and Gamecube
>>
>>3656541
>HOWEVER, if we're talking PAL consoles, neither console offers CSync direct from the MultiAV; Rather, they have 12VDC on that pin
you sure?
I've got the original Gamecube RGB cable from Nintendo which should be a CSync one
>>
>>3657081
Official Nintendo RGB SCART cables are supposed to use CVid, not CSync.

>>3656567
As I said, it's more of an issue with upscalers than it is CRTs.

>>3657081
>>3656628
I'm going off information on gamesx for that bit, since I couldn't remember specifically myself. I have all NTSC hardware myself, so I can't actually go check it for myself.
I'm not a terribly big fan of the site, but RetroRGB also seems to suggest the same general thing, though not in so many words.
>>
>>3656025
Sync on Luma really is better looking, I have a Csync cable and Lumasync for the Playstation, testing on a LCD, the picture on Lumasync is sharper and pixel perfect, without any interference.
>>
>>3657761
PlayStation doesn't output composite sync.

You have sync on composite video.
>>
>>3657287
Looking into it the GC supports sync on luma through the multi out port, but the cable can be easily wired to output CSYNC.
RGC sells a set of cables like these which use a sync separator in the cable to produce CSYNC. https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nintendo/gamecube/NINTENDO-GAMECUBE-RGB-SCART-CABLE-COMPOSITE-SYNC-CSYNC
>>
>>3657803
What are you talking about? Any console that has composite and RGB can use composite signal for sync.

Where do you think the sync wire is connected in the PS A/V connector if you use RGB? Of course composite, Sync on Luma is a "hack" and not a official PlayStation cable.
>>
>>3658994
Is there any noticable difference between Lumasync and Csync?
>>
>>3659207
See
>>3657761

I used a LCD for testing and with Csync the pixels do the usual composite shaking, slight bleeding, sorry I'm bad with words, but I hope you get the idea.
The Lumasync cable on the other hand was pixel perfect, exactly like a VGA LCD computer monitor.
>>
>>3659398
Obvious, the sync is what's doing the bleeding and "shaking", aka interference.
Taking sync from Luma is much clearer than Composite.
>>
>>3656541
what about sync on green?
>>
>>3656393
CSync is sync on composite video, what you call "cvid", what you are talking about is normal H/V Sync, used in RGB.
Composite is always full video, there's no definition for "composite sync" it's either H/V sync or H sync/V sync.
>>
>>3659398
>do the usual composite shaking
As was said in >>3657803 , you're thinking of Composite Video as Sync.

Without a sync stripper, the only two types of sync available from the Playstation are Composite Video(standard) or Luma Sync. It does not have CSync.

CSync is called CSync because it is a -composite- of both horizontal and vertical sync, which would be "separate sync". It has absolutely no video information in it, meaning it's even cleaner than luma sync. If luma doesn't affect the picture, to suggest that actual CSync would is completely asinine, since it(luma) contains exactly the same information and then some.

>>3659409
Green Video channel with CSync(raw sync, that is) along side it. Not supported by a terribly large amount of displays, but usually doesn't cause issues on the ones that do.

>>3659413
CSync is another way of phrasing H+V Sync, and is more often used in relation to consoles, considering they don't offer separate sync as such, just a composite there of. Especially considering stating HVSync doesn't explicitly make it clear as to whether they're being listed together or separately, and often goes towards the latter.

These are even terms being used by the people making and selling the cables OP is looking to buy.
>>
>>3659441
Alright
So I'm guessing SoG is about on par with sync on luma in terms of preference order?
>>
>>3659449
No, SoG is 3 wires, Red, Green+Sync, Blue.
Sync on Luma is 4 wires, Red, Green, Blue, Sync(luma).

Obviously the latter is better because it combines less data.
>>
>>3656030
Remember kids, don't fall for the better image quality meme.
>>
>>3659453
Doesn't sync on luma just use the luma/sync from s-video anyways?

In which case wouldn't there be one cable with 2 data streams regardless?
>>
So Csync from a sync stripper would make it possible to use a RGB cable for both Snes and Gamecube?
>>
>>3660289
Sure. As long as you're fine playing your GC using RGBs without the RGB part. kek
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.