[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: When retro reviewers pander to the born in ~2000 crowd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: vgc.jpg (1MB, 2020x1172px) Image search: [Google]
vgc.jpg
1MB, 2020x1172px
>>
The point of a review is to tell you whether a game is worth your time. In the modern day Goldeneye 007 is far less likely to be worth your time because there are so many far, far better FPS games that you could spend your time on instead, and the mechanics of the game have aged like milk.

That being said, I think that he should have re-reviews of games be separate from the original review. Doing it this way feels like "changing history".
>>
>>3655756
>Goldeneye 007 is far less likely to be worth your time because there are so many far, far better FPS games that you could spend your time on instead

Aside from Perfect Dark and Timesplitters, like what?
>>
File: FF1Battle[1].png (2KB, 256x232px) Image search: [Google]
FF1Battle[1].png
2KB, 256x232px
>>3655756
You have a point there. I always think there are games that are regarded like software, each new installment updates the game and makes previous releases obsolete because they relay in certain features that can be improved.

On the other hand, there are games that can and will be still played even after new releases since they can offer you different things. I'd still play FFV after FF VII, for example.
>>
>>3655759
When you start taking the "retro" rule so far that you actually erase the last 17 years of history from your mind it's time to seek professional help.
>>
>>3655846
Timesplitters isn't retro though

Still waiting for your answer
>>
Honestly I trust young reviewers more than old ones when it comes to retro games, because the old ones are too afraid of being seen as blinded by nostalgia and overcompensate. They fall into the trap of regarding current game mechanics and control trends as inherently superior ("evolved") rather than merely different.
>>
>>3655846
I'm starting to think that their daddy spent the family savings on a Y2K shelter and that acknowledging the fact that the world didn't kablooie triggers them.
>>
File: 1377742402083.jpg (8KB, 265x200px) Image search: [Google]
1377742402083.jpg
8KB, 265x200px
>>3655756
>The point of a review
is to appear next to an advertisement
updating a review is like bumping a thread that makes you money
>>
>>3655862
>i only erased the last 16 years of history from my mind.
Well that changes everything. kek

>>3656000
He probably wrapped his cat in saran wrap
>>
>>3655759
Half-Life
>>
>>3656085
But what if I want to play a mission based spy/gadget game?
>>
>>3656098
Deus Ex
>>
>>3655862
Virtually all FPS games of the last decade
>>
>>3656159
But you can't even aim properly for half of the game until you put points into your shooting stats. I don't want a damn RPG.
>>
I loved 007. I basically worshiped that game as a child. I have fond memories of squinting at my little tv while playing 4-player with my siblings and friends.

But damn. That game is not the pinnacle of the genre anymore. I hope everyone who has never played it goes through it for the historical context of it all, but hyping it up as this perfect A++++ game that still stands the test of time is wrong.

It is a good game, but there are honestly much better FPS games to sink your time into these days.
>>
>>3656425
>there are honestly much better FPS games to sink your time into these days.

I'm just curious. When people say this, is it just a euphemism for Call of Duty? Cause that's the feeling I'm getting in this thread.

Don't be afraid to admit it, guys.
>>
>>3656446
I've honestly never played Call of Duty. When I play FPS games I play Half-Life 2, Bioshock, and stuff like that. On the retro front, the classics such as DOOM and Duke3D, as well as some newer /vr/ games like Half-Life have aged better than Goldeneye.
>>
>>3656446
I know your post isn't in good faith and you will shit all over anything I list to defend 007 but:

My personal favorites at the moment are Red Orchestra 2, F.E.A.R, and Half Life 2. If someone were to hold a gun to my head and tell me to either play 007 or the latest CoD, I'd choose the latest CoD. 007 is a good game like I said, but it had already been left in the dust as far as FPS games go by the 1999 cut off.
>>
>>3656457
>>3656468
None of the games either of you mentioned play anything remotely like Goldeneye though.

If you think they do, then you probably haven't played Goldeneye the way it's meant to be played (on 00 Agent mode).

To me, what you guys are saying is equivalent to a declaration that Daggerfall has been made obsolete by Final Fantasy VII because they are both RPGs and the latter is so much more cinematic.
>>
>>3656446
No FPS games needed to be created after TimeSplitters 2. The art was perfected.
>>
>>3656494
It is a huge stretch to try to say that FFVII and Daggerfall are the same game and attempted to appeal to the same crowd.

007 and Perfect Dark belong to the wider FPS genre. The reason most modern FPS games don't play like them is because their mechanics didn't stand the test of time. There are still modern RPGs being made that borrow heavily from early Final Fantasy and Elder Scrolls.
>>
>>3656526
>007 and Perfect Dark belong to the wider FPS genre
You could say the same about Daggerfall and Final Fantasy VII belonging to the wider RPG genre equally. Go on, prove what the difference is between your example and my example.

>The reason most modern FPS games don't play like them is because their mechanics didn't stand the test of time
The exact same could be said for Doom and Quake because they don't make games like that any more. So they've aged like shit. Obviously.

>There are still modern RPGs being made that borrow heavily from early Final Fantasy
Hold up, you're trying to move the goalposts here. That's different than actually playing like early Final Fantasy. Virtually nothing plays like early Final Fantasy any more. The turn-based style is pretty much entirely dead except for a few weeb games.

If you're trying to say that modern games still use elements that the original Final Fantasy popularized, well, there's a boatload of things that modern FPS are still doing that Goldeneye popularized, but that's a completely different argument.
>>
>>3655751
>Buy on ebay
It's just resellers shilling shit.
>>
>>3656542
This is the part where you call Shin Megami Tensei "weeb".
>>
File: Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg (118KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg
118KB, 1024x768px
>>3655862
>>
>>3658467
Good taste
>>
>>3658467
I'm looking forward to playing the single player in this

oh wait
>>
>>3655862

I'll take 'Retards and Neckbeard' for 400 Alex
>>
>>3658447
I would just call it "shit".
>>
Was the EA game actually better than Rare's Goldeneye?
>>
>>3659049
If you think Bond authenticity is more important than good gameplay, sure.
>>
>>3655751
Games don't age, guise XD
>>
>>3656446
There's assloads of shooters other than CoD. You could even play something weird like STALKER or EYE.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.