[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vr/ think about the first Breath of Fire game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: BOF1boxartt.jpg (90KB, 256x167px) Image search: [Google]
BOF1boxartt.jpg
90KB, 256x167px
What does /vr/ think about the first Breath of Fire game?
>>
>>3652207
i personally find it amazing, i completed it and had a lot of fun
>>
>>3652207

shit.
>>
>>3652207
i got bored some time after finding the bow wolf.

the start was nice but then it started to feel aimless

you also walk at sluggo speed. Graphically and musically its great, will try it again some day.
>>
>>3652207
Couldn't get into it or BOF2. I liked 3 and 4, though. DQ was okay.
>>
>>3652207
Fine but the Uncensored version is better.
>>
>>3652207

Capcom should stick to what they do best, and its not RPG's.
>>
The menus are fucking horrible. And the story is very average. I dropped it 2hrs in.
>>
I liked it at the time but It's a bit dry and I don't think the series really got terribly engaging till 3
>>
>>3652254
Uncensored version?
>>
3 was my least liked in the seires. The skill system was a fucking mess (especially early in the game) and it just felt very unpolished and incomplete.

Learnign enemy skills soudned good on paper but 80% of them were redundant or outright useless.

>hurr attack with 1/10 of your attack power
>inflict 7 damage

or better yet:
>Feign swing: do nothing

Later in the game it seemed physical attacks surpassed all magic attacks. The gameplay just felt like shit early, mid and late game. It felt unfinished.

BOF 1/2 had translation issues but they were complete games and much more satisfying. BOF4 was fine as well.
>>
>>3652473
Because of Nintendo of America's aversion to religious and too violent stuff. I believe someone took the SNES JPN version and gave it a fan translation. No clue about the GBA one.
>>
>>3652503
>BOF 1/2 had translation issues
There is a nice retranslation for BoF 2.

http://www.emuparadise.me/Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_(SNES)_ROMs/Breath_of_Fire_II_(USA)_[En+Hack_by_d4s+Watercrown_v1.2b]_(Original_Title_Screen_Music)/33078
>>
Question
Is there any equivalent of Ray, Teepo or Fou-Lu in the original Breath of Fire?
>>
>>3652554
>There is a nice retranslation for BoF 2.

It has a douche bag who can't write a story jacking off to how cool he thinks he is for using Japanese terms
>>
>>3652557
Ray = I guess Ryu's sister but she's in the game very infrequently

Teepo/Fou Lu = not really. Outside of Ryu/Nina a bit, most character development stops after a character joins your party or you finish the town's quest that you're in. It's not a very big character development game but it does have more setting development that happens a lot.

I will give props where due though, a lot of the towns in bof1 were very well done and quite unique from one another. Very colorful game too. If you want to replay it though I recommend using the GBA patch since the translation and menu navigation isnt as archaic as the snes version.
>>
>>3652597

I do miss the day to night transition thing but even then I don't think the early games made full use of the idea. I think it mattered like ONCE in 1 when you had to sneak into a town at night and that was it. Whole rest of the game was just making you wait a bit if you wanted to shop
>>
>>3652597
That town where time stood still?

Freaky stuff man.
>>
>>3652750
I'm pretty sure that there were spells and items that let you change the time of day in BoF1
>>
File: master fisherman.jpg (155KB, 624x437px) Image search: [Google]
master fisherman.jpg
155KB, 624x437px
I'm biased to say i enjoy most JRPGs i have played because i really love JRPGs, but to put it bluntly, BoF I is nothing to write home about and unless you are like me and can only play games from series/franchises in order of release, you should skip it entirely.

In my opinion, the pros:
The music is decent, i like the use of colors and how they change in the overworld to represent every phase of the day: Morning, noon, afternoon, evening and night, i also like how they don't simply switch, they actually transition and very well. I like the characters too (except Mogu and Gobi) and how all of them had their use at some point in the game, even if only useful to access certain areas or find items, which is particularly Mogu's case, because he completely sucks and you should not bother using him in battles unless you actively want to handicap yourself.
The story is pretty standard, boy sees his family/village being destroyed, goes on a journey for revenge, makes some friends with stereotypical personalities during the journey, awakens his inner powers and defeats the big bad guy that wanted to enslave everyone. This is a good point in my opinion because sometimes we just want to enjoy these simple stories and they can be very good if delivered well, which BoF I does.

Cons:
Fixed damage, bad idea. Fixed spell damage, terrible idea.
Even the dragon attacks had fixed damage and since you get three dragon transformations at the same time except for Rudra and Agni, there was no point in using any but the highest damaging of the three transformations. And yes, i do know that some monsters take a bit more damage from certain forms, like that Sandworm boss in Arad that takes more damage from the Snow Drake (SnoDr) than the other forms, but this is the only particular instance in the entire game where this elemental weakness even makes a noticeable difference, you won't be fighting random mobs with dragon transformations.

Cont...
>>
>>3653059
Can't Karn or whatever make Mogu really strong?
>>
File: slam.jpg (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
slam.jpg
174KB, 1920x1080px
...continued cons:

ACCESSORIES AND EQUIPMENT WITH NO DESCRIPTION AND NO PRACTICAL WAY TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY DO.
Seriously, who thought this would be a good idea?
How am i supposed to know that the reason Bo is taking so much damage is because of the WolfHT? How am i supposed to know that the reason the random battle encounter rate is so high is because i have a female character leading the party equipped with a Gown?
How am i supposed to know what the SilverBR does?

Some things in the game just make no sense, like the fusion "Debo" for Karn, it can only be used underwater, but at the point of the game that this fusion is obtainable, you won't fight underwater anymore unless you actively seek to, and there is absolutely no reason to do it since there are monsters that give more EXP available on land.
With a few exceptions, you'll always find better equipment in dungeons and quests than the ones available for purchase in shops, so there's no reason to buy equipment in shops.

There are two dungeons in the game that will make you crazy if you don't get lucky and find your way out on the first try. The Rotating Room and the invisible wall room in the Tower of Mote during "Mogu's dream" arc.
A dungeon doesn't need to be irritating and frustrating to be challenging.
Sincerely, it's one of the games i only beat because i really am a sucker for JRPGs, otherwise i'd never touch it and i advise people to just skip it and go play III instead, because even though II is an improvement, it has a lot of flaws as well, not even counting that retarded translation.

>>3653069
Yeah, you can, but i was not talking about characters individually, not in fusions or transformations. Both Mogu and Gobi are pathetic as individual characters, but Mogu is the worst. Using him or Gobi individually will make some battles almost unwinnable if you don't grind a lot.
>>
>>3653084
>Yeah, you can, but i was not talking about characters individually
I meant that i WAS talking about characters individually.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.