[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me enjoy emulation again.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: superthumb.jpg (29KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
29KB, 300x250px
Lads, I just got done playing on a PVM with an actual Sega Genesis... Holy fuck emulation doesn't even come CLOSE.

I tried going back to RetroArch but it was like going from a home-cooked steak to a McDonald's cheese burger. The sound was off, the graphics looked like absolute shit and the shaders we use to emulate the look of CRTs are inaccurate as fuck. Lottes, Geom, Royale- all look like shit and nothing like a CRT.

Help me out here.
>>
>>3651505
A bullet to the head is the only way.
>>
>>3651539
Only cowards sage threads.
>>
>>3651505
CRTs are too fat and take up too much space and they smell bad. Throw it in a dumpster where it belongs with all video games as well.
>>
>>3651505
Also if you REALLY love playing games you enjoy them whenever you play. Period.
>>
for less than 100 bucks you can get a genesis, a flashcart, and a garage sale CRT that was probably worth more than your shit childhood one

so uhhhhh
you saved 100 dollars I guess?
>>
>>3651505
Autism?
>>
Retroarch is meme software.
Use standalone emus like a fucking adult.

Oh hey, vaporwave is fucking elevator music from 1994.
See, we're debunking spurious bullshit everywhere today
>>
>>3651505
OK, real advice here.

First, what are you playing RetroArch on? What's your OS? What display do you use?

Second, your settings. You talk about sound, what exactly was off? What core do you use: PicoDrive or Genesis Plus GX? Did you try DAC quantization option and Blargg filter set to "composite" in the latter?

Third, was there any lag noticeable?
>>
>>3651505
Kys palfaggot
>>
>>3651623
>use inferior software that doesn't even have custom resolution or shader support

No thanks
>>
>>3651505
Why you so mad your memeulator doesn't reproduce fart noises accurately?
>>
>>3651505
>I tried going back to RetroArch
>RetroArch

There's your problem. RetroArch is shit. Stand-alone emulators outperform it by far.
>>
>help me enjoy emulation again
Why if you have a real Genesis?
>>
File: audioquest-hdmi-best-buy.png (129KB, 1325x701px) Image search: [Google]
audioquest-hdmi-best-buy.png
129KB, 1325x701px
By the way, why they don't make CRT displays purposefully for retro-fags?
It's the untapped goldmine a-la vinyl recordings. I would buy one to play 8-bit shit and 90-s PC first person shooters indeed.
>>
>>3652078
Sorry to break it to you, but outside of hardcore purist communities like /vr/, people actually enjoy playing retro games on LCD just the same. The people who actually hunt down CRTs are few in numbers, and there's no guarantee they'd prefer new fancy shit to the old "how the devs intended it" Trinitrons/PVMs/whatever.

Even then, if you somehow find a bunch of people ready to give their money for it, CRTs still need whole dedicated facilities with specialized equipment to be produced, not to mention technological process and so on. Keeping a huge factory full of expensive machinery just for a bunch of retro enthusiasts is just not profitable to say the least.

CRTs are much unlike vinyls, which are literally inscribed pieces of material, and which a bunch of hipsters could probably order a pressing of without even leaving home. They aren't even like retro clones, because it's not just some pressed components—these require very specific machinery I doubt is easily available nowadays.

The death of CRT on consumer market is just natural. Who in their sane mind would want an expensive tiny screen in huge heavy body with so SD resolution and so-so color? The closest thing to new CRT you will possibly get on mass market is (AM)OLED displays, but so far their availability leaves a lot to be desired.
>>
>>3652078
Because anyone who cares can get one for free.
It's possible that as stocks of CRTs run out someone will do this though. Probably not so much for retrofags but for arcade machines
>>
>>3651548
I actually like the way CRTs smell.
>>
>>3652130
Not him, in what way is AMOLED like CRTs?
>>
>>3651623
>vaporwave is fucking elevator music from 1994
That's mallsoft you fucking pleb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSMaB_Fzks0
>>
>>3652751
In short:
—Deep black and better contrast
—Low response times

Explanation:
The inherent flaw of most if not all LCD panels is low response time and low contrast due to grey-ish black. This is because LCD works kinda like a big evenly backlit screen with many pieces of stained glass. They can pass/block the light that passes through them, but they require time to switch and they can hardly block the backlight entirely. Good quality IPS like in most recent iPhones can achieve good blacks, but the LCD ghosting is still apparent.

(AM)OLED technology is more like plasma—or CRT. Instead of backlighting the whole screen, every dot emits light itself. It grants much greater control over lighting of every pixel. For example, all pixels can be black (they simply stop emitting), but a handful can be at 100% brightness (see for example Motorola's active display feature). This provides greater contrast, but also because the dots don't need time to shift, the response time of the panel is much quicker. So in essence it's very similar to CRT and plasma in premise—but in a more convenient form.

However, AMOLED has its flaws too. Just like plasma, it's susceptible to burn-in, and some panels (like Samsung) are considered oversaturated by some. But that said, they've been becoming much better in these departments for the last 5 years.

The big problem though is that Samsung is the leading manufacturer of this type of display, and few other companies come even close to it. It's widely used in a lot of smartphones, but obviously Sony or Apple won't ever use it as Samsung is their direct competitor. There are some professional OLED displays, but they're obviously expensive. PS Vita used to come with OLED screen, but newer models have LCDs too.
>>
You can use emulation with a CRT.
it'll never be quite like the real thing, but close enough.
For 240p stuff, using a Wii is the easiest and most efficient method.

>>3652330

Me too.
>>
Sometimes /vr/ reminds me a bit of guitar enthusiasts and audiophiles. They hunt down expensive old gear, but are never satisfied because they never will have THAT more expensive older gear. They spend years trying to attain "that perfect tone", but are almost never satisfied, and sometimes you start to wonder whether they're listening to music or equipment.

I still have tons of fun with emulators. I don't miss my old Genesis much, and I don't care about accuracy as long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay. And for the life of me, I just don't understand how one can be THAT picky and snobbish about sound, video, and so on.
>>
>>3651548
>they smell bad
The fuck? How does a TV have a smell?
>>
>>3651505
I actually really enjoy McDonald's cheeseburgers.

>>3652839
I only remember their high frequency sound, even when muted.
>>
>>3651505
grab a gpu with s-video output.
>>
>>3652839
Some people can smell static. It has a subtle metal scent with a bit of sourness.
>>
>>3652824
>I just don't understand how one can be THAT picky and snobbish about sound, video, and so on.

There are a couple reasons. For one, it's very easy to sound like you're uncontrollably sobbing or furious in text when you're just being a little faggy, and people on this site have always written with a lot of comic hyperbole on top of that. You also have the fact that playing old videogames is still some fucking heavily nerdy shit even if there are a few fashionistas who buy things to leave on a shelf, and the same kind of personality that genuinely likes retro games is probably also the kind of guy who enjoys technology for the sake of technology. Collecting and messing with old hardware is as much a part of the hobby as the games for people on the extreme end of this. CRTs have a particular appeal, since they're these big complex devices that make weird sounds and are just cool the same way a classic car is cool. A little spectacle of engineering and less ashamed about it than hyperslick modern tech.

Also, input lag is a real thing. It gets hilariously overstated, half by guys who know better and are trolling, and then guys who actually do not know better because they've only played on LCDs or are RPGfags or something will come in and overstate it back the other way, and I feel pretty sorry for any younger guys who don't know much about television tech who are trying to learn that are seeing this shit. I play emulators cause I don't have any of my old consoles here or space for a CRT, and I personally do notice it. If you play hard shit from the 8-bit era or spaceshooters or anything where you have to be precise as fuck at certain points it will make it harder than it should be and frustrating. LCDs vary a shitload too though so you have some semi-decent gaymer display set up well you might not have a problem, but a bad LCD will just draw a blurry mess of shit.

I personally just hate LCDs, have since day one.
>>
>>3653615
>I play emulators cause I don't have any of my old consoles here or space for a CRT, and I personally do notice it. If you play hard shit from the 8-bit era or spaceshooters or anything where you have to be precise as fuck at certain points it will make it harder than it should be and frustrating.

To add to this, it's not necessarily just the display giving the difference in input response time, different emulators can have different input response times as well, For example, snes9x (maybe not 1.54? haven't used the latest one) processes inputs one frame slower than bizhawk does, and that's just on top of whatever delay you're already dealing with.
>>
>>3653621
right so if you add enough up with crappy equipment and software you can get to the point where it will hurt your experience significantly

I know it seems ass-backwards to have some super-clocked modern FPS display to play fucking Mario but it's honestly the best solution if you want to play on all modern equipment, besides playing on a phone with an OLED. They are noticeably better if you can deal with the small size.
>>
>>3653594
That is the smell of ozone (O3) and it is awesome.
>>
>>3652130
>Keeping a huge factory full of expensive machinery just for a bunch of retro enthusiasts is just not profitable to say the least.
does that mean one day all crt fags will be playing on lcd(or whatever will replace it) since old tvs will die sooner or later and new crts will be very, very expensive?
>>
I emulate everything on my Wii and it's glorious.
>>
>>3653848
It's more likely that means that some kid on the internet doesn't know anything about CRT production.
It's also possible that a visually authentic display could be created a different way. For example, for vector displays take a look at what's being done with lasers. Something similar, or totally different, might be done with raster displays.

>>3653889
>i only play a handful of meme games
Well good for you champ.
>>
>>3653848
In theory, yes. But as we can plainly see, a lot of old CRTs still work today without much trouble. Of course the production of CRTs has stopped almost completely; but that said, CRTs still regularly appear on Craigslist and elsewhere as people sell their old possessions, so the market is yet to dry up completely.

Also, CRTs are not collectors' items, as they don't grow up in price with rarity alone. They are also not art. People buy them only to use them, not to just "own" them, so there's no point in buying a rare CRT (unless you got brain damage after reading /vr/ for too long). There is no "cult" around certain CRT models like there's a cult around certain games; someone who wants a good CRT likely won't be picky about one certain rare model and will take whatever people advice to him, or find a substitute easily at least. A desirable CRT can be cheap and widely available.

So likely there won't really be a bubble like with retro games. The CRT supply is limited, but the demand is very, very low, unlike with retro games. CRT enthusiasts are savvier than general retro meme crowd and won't spend a fortune on overpriced items. The existing supply of cheap CRTs seemingly covers the demand, and for people outside of its tiny niche, they hold no value—so outsiders will probably continue to saturate the tiny niche market with cheap goods.
>>
>>3651539
This, I'll enjoy watching this thread decay off page 10 in a few seconds. So long faggot.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.