[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it just me or is this game... shit? I never played the zelda

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
Is it just me or is this game... shit?

I never played the zelda games when I was a kid, but now that we got the nes classic I figured I'd give them a shot. I played the first one and absolutely loved it. Lot's of good times. But I started the second one, and I can barely stand it. The RPG elements are cool, but otherwise it just feels really cheap and shitty, almost like this was the first attempt at a zelda game, and the first one was the polished gem. The difficulty curve is drastically heightened shortly into the game. I can't stand to play it. I just want to skip to a link to the past. Would I really be missing anything?
>>
>>3648884
>Would I really be missing anything?
Not really.

I personally think Zelda 2 is brilliant, but if you've already gotten past a few dungeons and still don't like the game, just move on. It's not for you.
>>
>>3648884
>I just want to skip to a link to the past.

Playing through the series in release order is pointless. I really enjoy AoL myself, but there's no harm in playing LttP, OoT, LA or the Oracles now.
>>
File: 18j0yyebco7eqjpg.jpg (279KB, 800x1092px) Image search: [Google]
18j0yyebco7eqjpg.jpg
279KB, 800x1092px
>>3648910
Well I read up on the convoluted plot linking the games together, so I am willing to play games out of order because it doesn't seem to really matter.
>>
>>3648910
Plotwise sure, you can play them in any order. Zelda's plot has always been a bit... pointless.

But really one should definitely play ALttP before any of the later games. I honestly feel that's a necessary step to fully enjoying the series.
>>
>>3648884
I feel much the same way. Original Zelda is always a treat to play (and LttP, OoT, etc) but 2 feels way too hard and unforgiving, esp in later levels.
>>
>>3648920
Take the timeline with a planet sized grain of salt anon. It's nearly useless and Nintendo's bound to recon it sometime in a future title anyway.
>>
>>3648884

It's not shit, it's a black sheep.

There's no way reception for the game isn't going to be mixed when it's such a departure from the rest of the series in so many regards.

>>3648920

I mean, sure, but I feel like Wind Waker is like 10 times better if played after Ocarina of Time. It's like the only Zelda game where the connections to a past title aren't so subtle that they need to be confirmed by developer interviews.
>>
>>3648921
No. There's no real reason to play LttP before any of the later games.
>>
>>3648884

I remember playing this as a kid and just getting a general feeling of boredom. It's just not fun to play for me.
>>
>>3648884
It's great. It's not as good as 1 and nothing like the other Zelda games, but it's great.

It's also the only Zelda with any real difficulty, so it makes sense that players who can't handle basic platforming, navigation, or resource management would think it's shit. At the time it was an instant classic.
>>
>>3649096
Except for the fact that it's probably the best game in the series.
>>
>>3648884

It's just you
>>
>>3648920
It's not a real timeline. It was literally thrown together to shut the retarded fanboys up. Aonuma even put a disclaimer in the back of the book that says they always designed the gameplay first and slapped the story on later.
>>
>>3649159
I swear, if Zelda 2 had a name other than Zelda 2, it'd be considered one of the best of all time on the NES, and might have had sequels with similar gameplay.
>>
>>3649790
>I swear, if Zelda 2 had a name other than Zelda 2, it'd be considered one of the best of all time on the NES, and might have had sequels with similar gameplay.

yes that's why The Battle of Olympus is known as one of the greatest NES games ever
>>
>>3649790
>one of the best of all time on the NES
Haha no. It wouldn't even place on most people's top 10s
>>
>>3648884
>almost like this was the first attempt at a zelda game, and the first one was the polished gem

Funny, after playing through them both I actually felt the opposite.
>>
>>3648884
>Is it just me or is this game... shit?
It's just you. The game sold over 4 million copies and is frequently re-released today. Granted, it will probably seem extremely dated to someone who's never played it before.

>The difficulty curve is drastically heightened shortly into the game.
Welcome to the NES era, new friend. Difficulty is a good thing.
>>
>>3649797
>yes that's why The Battle of Olympus is known as one of the greatest NES games ever

Nice equation, friendo :^)

Faxanadu is reputedly one of the most well designed games in the history of NES / Famicom, although I think it was something of a sleeper hit.

Castlevania II also has its following, but any criticism directed at the game is more of a result of its shitty localization.
>>
>>3649826
>zelda 2 isnt good
Fuckoff
>>
>>3650743
Didn't say it wasn't good. Just that there are so many other better games on the NES that it wouldn't show up on most people's radars, outside of the diehard zelda fans.
>>
>>3650734
Oh I am very familiar with the difficulty curve. I grew up with an NES. There were games that still frustrated you, but you wanted to keep trying. Such as the megaman games. But I never tried the Zelda games, having more interest in others, but this game I easily could have seen my kid self getting frustrated and moving on to something different, especially if I had played the first game first.
>>
>>3648884
It may seem shitty but it's actually a really ambitious game.You have to look at it in context of what other games were like at the time.

It is also one of those games that you won't fully appreciate until you play it all the way through.

The first couple of areas may seem underwhelming but stick to until you at least get through the cave maze area and see if it starts appealing to you.

It requires a lot more patience than the other Zelda games.
>>
>>3650761
Your kid self sounds like a casual faggot.

my kid self was a casual faggot too but at least i eventually got good and came back to it
>>
>>3648884
naw man its shit. when i recommend zelda games to people, i tell them the first one, then link to the past, then ocarina and majoras. this game will put a bad taste in anyone starting out the games. only completionists really have an appreciation for it
>>
Sure beats the DS titles.
>>
>>3650782
My kid self was pretty good. I remember owning several titles that people consider now on the difficult level. Like I said, there were games that while difficult and frustrating, you would want to keep at it. Keep trying until you beat it. I am revisiting most of those with this NES classic, and in trying zelda 1 for the first time, I got that familiar feeling, of difficulty that you wanted to keep trying. With zelda 2 I wasn't getting that, maybe because I enjoyed zelda 1 so much, and this was such a departure from it.

I don't know, I think this game could have been better, especially if it wasn't branded a zelda game. I look forward to playing the other ones though, because they seem to go back to the roots of the original.
>>
I still remember the first time I played through this... and somehow completely missed the first castle. This didn't get corrected until after I'd cleared Death Mountain -which, without a candle, is an absolute bitch. There was a lot of listening for Goriya boomerang sounds and casting Jump and/or Shield and just trying to grind through the caves that way.

I borrowed it from my neighbor and had poked around on his file a little bit when I was lost without saving anything, so I knew the candle was out there *somewhere*, since on his file, caves were lit up, I just didn't know where. When I got the hammer, I had this hunch I'd missed something, and just started going backwards until I found Level 1... which, since I had something like Level 6 in everything due to wandering around like an idiot, was finally a cakewalk. I wasn't sure if I felt more stupid or accomplished pulling that off, but I definitely felt accomplished when I finally beat the game.

Also, fuck those armored birds in the last dungeon. In the ear.
>>
>>3650823
>I look forward to playing the other ones though, because they seem to go back to the roots of the original.

While simultaniously drifting further and away from said roots.
>>
File: Same Shit.jpg (425KB, 906x1540px) Image search: [Google]
Same Shit.jpg
425KB, 906x1540px
>>3648884
>feels like the first attempt at a zelda game
>first one was the polished gem
Funny, I love them both and I'm not dissing the first one in any way, but it feels like a tech demo. The second one is objectively more polished. It's not your typical "Zelda game" but no such thing existed at the time. There was no "formula" or "standard" Zelda game when Adventure Of Link came out. The game is hard as shit if you don't git gud (or at least grind) but on the whole, it's a lot less cheap than Ninja Gaiden, which has infinitely respawning enemies, knock back, and nearly broken wall jumping mechanics. It feels less stiff than Castlevania. You can take more damage than you can in Ghosts N Goblins or something, where you die in two hits.
It's probably the best side-scrolling action RPG on the console.

Also, certain plot elements tie in with the later games more than you probably realize.
>>
File: 41252431_m.jpg (83KB, 338x365px) Image search: [Google]
41252431_m.jpg
83KB, 338x365px
>tfw casuals giving the game it's modern reputation means we'll never see an AoL style game the same way we got ALBW

It hurts, there's so much potential for growth in this style of game. Why can't it live on as it's own thing?
>>
>>3648884

Git gud scrub lord
>>
>>3648884
It's just you.
>>
>>3649797
I like the game, but the Battle of Olympus is nowhere near as good as Zelda 2.

>>3650761
I got through it as a kid, and I sucked at video games back then. I didn't really even have any significant stumbling blocks other than the final palace and figuring out the location of one of the towns. It might be the most difficult Zelda game, but for the time period it's still fairly easy.
>>
I used to hate the game myself but once you actually sit down give it a chance and figure it out, it's a lot of fun. It's easily my favorite Zelda game now too and the only one that feels like an accomplishment to beat.
>>
>>3648884
First Zelda I've ever played and the one I like the most. Very solid and at times ball-busting hard action adventure. You won't miss anything by skipping to Alttp, if you don't like it now you won't like it further in, the difficulty is climbing steadily.

Non-retro but I never could get into the 3D Zeldas and find them to be kind of shitty.
>>
>>3648884

you can really first say that it is shit if you beat the whole game.

Had it when it came out didn't like it. Years past, sat down and finally completed it, and I must say it is beter than i thought
>>
>>3651647
>Non-retro but I never could get into the 3D Zeldas and find them to be kind of shitty.

The 3D Zeldas are slower paced than the 2D ones, but have much more depth to them. You have to give them a chance because once they click with you, they are like nothing else. Unless you just played the GC/Wii games, then I'd understand.
>>
>>3651647
Same here, played 2 a lot when i was a kid but never really got into the 3D ones. While i was late in getting into them, i ended up loving the Ys games though.
>>
Zelda II is pretty bad. Can't stand it myself. I recommend playing everything though, especially Link's Awakening.
>>
>>3652579
It's not bad you just don't like it there is a difference faggot
>>
>>3652653
Calm down kid, I think its bad, as such I don't like it.
>>
>>3648884
Both mario and link took a break for number 2
>>
>>3648884
It's one of my favorites personally, but you're not obligated to play it. It's very different from other games in the Zelda series, and I believe deliberately so. You're not really going to miss out on much if archetypical "Zelda" gameplay is what you're after, and as far as the lore goes, it doesn't have much in common with any games other than the original which it is a direct sequel to.
>>
>>3650865
I'd love to see a modern successor to Zelda II as well, especially one with a wider range of weapons and items.

Shovel Knight sort of scratches that itch, but it lacks the freeform overworld or combat depth Zelda II have, instead opting for more of a generic "retro platformer" feel.

Then again, there's Dragon View, the oft-overlooked SNES classic. It's basically Zelda II with beat 'em up combat and a first person overworld. I'd definitely check it out.
>>
>>3648884
The fact that you have a problem with this game suggests this board is not for you. Zelda 2 is one of the most complex games to come out of the 1980s.
>>
Brilliant game but unfair difficulty. I recommend to just use game genie to get infinite lives and the game is 100x more enjoyable.
>>
>>3648884

It's not

It actually has some of the best dungeon design and enemies in the franchise. Plus it paved a lot of groundwork for 3D titles.
>>
>>3653729
>Introduces Volvagia
>Introduces Triforce Of Courage
>All of the sages in Ocarina Of Time are named after the towns in Zelda II
>Introduces Impa
>First game to feature Zoras standing upright
>Introduces magic spells
>>
>>3648884
Does the NES Classic have the FDS version of The Legend of Zelda or only the NES one? I don't really care cause I emulate it.
I've never really played OoT or MM when I was a teenager in the 1990's when they released cause I had a PC. Never had any console from that generation. I don't understand the hype the two receive. When I had a GameCube which I bought for myself I did have The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Enjoyed both. I'm someone who first played The Legend of Zelda back in 1987 or whenever it first released on a friends NES including II when it released. Even had ALttP for SNES and Link's Awakening for GB. Now I just emulate everything.
I dunno.
>>
>>3648884
it was always considered a terrible game until the last couple years when tiresome contrarians decided to pretend to like it. skip it and never look back
>>
It's a flawed game, not a bad one.
>>
>>3654356
Speak for yourself. A lot of people actually enjoyed it. Sure, some disliked it but it wasn't till youtube reviews became big that Zelda 2 became so infamous to gamers in general (and not just Zelda fans who consider it to be the black sheep). It's just e-celeb parroting like how people suddenly love Earthbound, Hagane, Little Samson or other "hidden gems". Same reason why so many people decided to shit on Mario 2 USA and started praising Lost Levels just to feel unique or "real".
>>
>>3648884
Make your sword 1.25x longer and it's a decent challenge besides the bullshit death mountain section.
you need a sword, not a dagger
>>
>>3654347
Other than some better sound with the extra sound channel, the NES version is superior in every way.

Extra boss, redesigned bosses, fixed a glitch where if the blocks that fall in the palaces hit you the right way the game freezes up, allows you to restart in the last palace if you die in it, a much prettier Game Over screen (the Japanese version is just a black screen with the generic boss growl).
>>
>>3654430
>allows you to restart in the last palace if you die in it

Wait, you mean the original forced you to do the entire trek to the great palace and the great palace itself all in one go?
>>
>>3654430
Eh, but save states.
>>
>>3654272
OK, you're technically right, but what I meant is that you don't really need to know the Zelda II lore to understand any of the other games.
>>
>>3654457
Yeah, someone must've figured even that even for Zelda 2 that was too brutal.
>>
>>3654192
>you don't like one game
>this community isn't for you

Hush, you
>>
>>3654419
death mountain is fuckin easy. Once you know the way you should never forget it.
>>
>>3654272
But impa was introduced in zelda 1
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.